Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing & How To (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Ejector markings on headstand from my new 1911 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=655230)

Bumslie 12-11-2012 11:17 AM

Ejector markings on headstand from my new 1911

3 Attachment(s)
I'm assuming this is the right forum to ask.

I recently acquired one of my dream pistols, a Colt .38 super. I've only shot 200 rounds out of it so far, I'd shoot more but .38 super is expensive and I have not bought my reloading press yet, that will be my birthday gift to myself in January. I've had no failures of any kind, but I've noticed marks on the head stamp that I've never seen from any other of my firearms.

Is this any cause for concern? I've also noticed that my extractor slightly sticks out, and has a nominal bit of wiggle or play back and forth. This is my first brand new 1911, I have a colt officers and there is no extractor marks like this, and the extractor is firmly in place.

Is this a fitment issue? A break in issue?

Or am i simply over analyzing this, and this is no cause for concern. Shut up and shoot it?

Thanks for all the input.
Attachment 184255
Attachment 184256
Attachment 184257

adamsreeftank 12-11-2012 11:38 AM

The extractor sticking out a bit at the back of the slide is normal.
Are you sure the mark on the shell is from the extractor and not the ejector?

Maybe the power of the 38 super is moving the slide fast enough to dent the case. If that is it, then maybe a more powerful spring would slow it down a bit.

Bumslie 12-11-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamsreeftank (Post 9896456)
The extractor sticking out a bit at the back of the slide is normal.
Are you sure the mark on the shell is from the extractor and not the ejector?

Maybe the power of the 38 super is moving the slide fast enough to dent the case. If that is it, then maybe a more powerful spring would slow it down a bit.

I honestly didn't think of ejector. I will try a 15 or 16 pound recoil spring from ISMI to see. Thanks for the reply!

****Edit**** Upon looking at the dents in the cases closer, the marks do look like they are coming from the ejector. So a heavier recoil spring is in order then?

adamsreeftank 12-11-2012 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumslie (Post 9896509)
I honestly didn't think of ejector. I will try a 15 or 16 pound recoil spring from ISMI to see. Thanks for the reply!

****Edit**** Upon looking at the dents in the cases closer, the marks do look like they are coming from the ejector. So a heavier recoil spring is in order then?

That is something you could try. It will depend on the power of your loads. You will need to use the right spring that matches your rounds so you don't lose reliability.

SDawson 12-12-2012 6:11 AM

I have the same marks on my brass. It is caused by material left on the breech face during machining process. Should not harm anything. Easy way to ID that it's your brass.

wash 12-12-2012 10:20 AM

If you need to slow down the slide, a heavier mainspring or square bottom firing pin stop can help with that as well as a heavy recoil spring.

Bumslie 12-14-2012 8:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wash (Post 9903904)
If you need to slow down the slide, a heavier mainspring or square bottom firing pin stop can help with that as well as a heavy recoil spring.

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the reply!