-   California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism (
-   -   Is it legal to ship parts to Australia? (

CaliforniaHunter 12-06-2012 3:37 PM

Is it legal to ship parts to Australia?
Lets say I want to send seashells to australia ?

is that legel?

Bargearse 12-07-2012 5:20 AM

I'm an Australian living in California and from time to time, I ship parts and accessories to my nephew living in Sydney. He is a Police Officer as well and have import permit on restricted items such as magazines, fire control components and barrel.

No import permit = Do not send any fire control components, magazines and any barrel.

Any others are ok but I strongly recommend other party to contact the Australian Customs first

Good Luck

CSACANNONEER 12-07-2012 5:37 AM

Are the sea shells legal to export from the US?

Are the sea shells legal to import to the receiving country?

Do you have all permits required for BOTH countries and any other coutries they may be passing through?

If you are talking about firearms and related parts, you need to remember that the US considers the receiver the legal firearm but, other countries consider different parts the legal firearm. Also, there are restrictions on exporting ANYTHING (bullets, primers, brass, barrels, etc.) for .50cal rifles from the US. There may be restrictions on exporting other "common" firearms parts from the US that I am unaware of.

killmime1234 12-07-2012 5:39 AM

Google "ITAR." I don't know enough to explain it but basically exporting anything firearm related without fed permission is illegal.

Even taking a laptop outside of the country that has design information for firearm parts can be a felony.

Oceanbob 12-07-2012 5:48 AM

In some Countries the Frame, Barrel and Slide are registered and have serial numbers. (notice GLOCKs are numbered as such).

ewarmour 12-07-2012 6:27 AM

Does seahell exportation violate the Lacey Act? Maybe...

Marcus von W. 12-07-2012 6:54 AM

Lewis "Vulch" Maynard over at Gunboards is an Australian collector who would be able to tell you what is and isn't allowed and what kind of problems you might have.

I don't know about Australian law, but in a lot of countries the barrel and bolt are considered the firearm and are the controlled part...and, strangely, in some places the receiver is not considered a critical and hence restricted part. That's why on Ebay you will see folks in Europe offering the receivers of battlefield dug weapons, but not the barrels and bolts....of course this is against Egay rules and these auctions are cancelled when they come to the attention of the Ebay authorities.