-   Ammo and Reloading (
-   -   Identify these bench parts (

drkphibr 12-05-2012 2:47 PM

Identify these bench parts
Anyone know what these aluminum (?? or other material) things are in the bench that allow various plates (and associated mounting hardware - all circled in green) are or where you can get them? No idea what they are called, but I'd like to do something similar on a new bench top. Don't know what to Google or utube search at this point. Any help appreciated.

kmca 12-05-2012 2:53 PM

There are some 4 sided knobs:

drkphibr 12-05-2012 3:07 PM

The knobs look like a non issue, but the u-channels in the link are't "closed" like the ones in the pic. I'm assuming a threaded bolt is slid into the channel and the top being closed over the head of the bolt but wide enough for the threads of the bolt to catch a knob/nut is what "locks" a plate into place.

I would need a u-channel that isn't completely open on top.

Thanks for the leads.

******* UPDATE - looks like they are called c-channels or box channels ********

Colt562 12-05-2012 3:13 PM

Seems like a lot of work for something that isn't that practical.

sofbak 12-05-2012 3:15 PM

Rockler's calls them "T-track". Many options-go here to see....

drkphibr 12-05-2012 3:21 PM


Originally Posted by Colt562 (Post 9858515)
Seems like a lot of work for something that isn't that practical.

Based on what I have permanently mounted to my bench now (and what I'd like to be able to add without losing all the bench top space), I'd have to disagree. This would allow for interchanging components (diff presses [eg, shotgun, AP, etc.] as well as other components like a vise, swager, manual trimmer. To each their own I guess.

kmca 12-05-2012 3:44 PM

Hmm, the second link didn't go where I thought it would, did you see this:
at the bottom?

Dr Rockso 12-05-2012 3:50 PM

You can buy extruded aluminum profile in different sizes, and with a bit of forethought you could notch your benchtop to accept some of the 1" square profile flush with the surface (just hold it by fastening with through holes from the bottom). The big brands are 80/20 and Bosch Rexroth, and there are others out there as well. 80/20 has an ebay store where they sell surplus at decent prices.

drkphibr 12-05-2012 3:58 PM


Originally Posted by kmca (Post 9858716)
Hmm, the second link didn't go where I thought it would, did you see this:
at the bottom?

Ah, that one worked.

zartoon 12-08-2012 1:00 PM

I have this setup for my work bench. It can go from a reloading bench to a table vise to any other mounted tool in a couple if minutes. I used heavy duty T tracks which are epoxied and screwed into channels I routed out of my 5" thick workbench.

It works like a champ!

zartoon 12-08-2012 1:02 PM

Also, I use laminated wood, aluminum or steel plates depending on the need for the job to mount tools. Reloading presses are in aluminum. Heavy vise on steel and other smaller tools like case trimmers are in laminated wood I made from scrap wood and scrap mdf.

Southpaw45 12-08-2012 7:00 PM

I seen those knob nuts at OSH...

zartoon 12-08-2012 9:14 PM

I i&t all my supplies at peachtree which is like Rockler.

GVDP 12-08-2012 10:20 PM

Thats a great idea. I think I would run the track front to back so I could pull pieces off the bench easy with out moving everything out the way and sliding all the way down the bench

zartoon 12-08-2012 11:07 PM

A word to the wise. If you have a long bench, put cut outs every few feet. I have te ends and one extra set if cut outs on my 5' bench

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.