Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   General gun discussions (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   What's your definition of a sporting rifle? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=652341)

defcon 12-04-2012 9:09 AM

What's your definition of a sporting rifle?

I mainly shoot my .22LR's and was wondering if plinking steel targets (non competition/matches) is considered a "sport"?

jaymz 12-04-2012 9:12 AM

It is in my book.

jbj 12-04-2012 9:14 AM

Anytime you are not shooting in combat or work qualification, or would be considered sport.

While there may be a technical discussion regarding hunting, unless you are harvesting meat for survival, I would argue that it would also be 'sport'.

defcon 12-04-2012 9:16 AM

i modified the original post that its non competition or matches.

just weekend fun plinking.

Full Clip 12-04-2012 9:22 AM

If nobody is shooting back, it's sport.

Nick Justice 12-04-2012 9:27 AM

Every rifle in the world. (I'm not going to fall for this trick again.)

myk 12-04-2012 9:28 AM

One that wears a scarf?

Sutcliffe 12-04-2012 9:35 AM

This

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Clip (Post 9849467)

Quite possibly sig-line material.

paul0660 12-04-2012 9:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Clip (Post 9849467)

No. If they could shoot back if they had a gun, it isn't a sport.

Which is why shooting animals is sport.

Damn True 12-04-2012 9:37 AM

Though I recoil at the use of "sport" with respect to hunting (a whole other discussion) I would consider any rifle appropriate for use in recreational target shooting, competitive target shooting or hunting a "sporting" rifle. Including, but not limited to; muzzle loaded single shot, breech loaded single shot, lever action, pump action, bolt action and auto-loading semi automatic.

rromeo 12-04-2012 9:52 AM

People call me Sport all the time. Every rifle I have is for Sport.

m98 12-04-2012 2:34 PM

According to most people and some of my older relatives, all a firearms purpose is to put meat on the table. For me, guns serve all purposes applicable

Divernhunter 12-04-2012 2:46 PM

Any firearm I shoot is for sport. Including full auto and cannon. I can also shoot a pellet,BB,airsoft,paintball or whatever for sport.
IF I had to shoot to kill or maim(this removes non-leathal shooting such as paintball) a person then temporarly I would not be using whatever firearm as sport.

I think that covers it.

Basicly anything I shoot is sport.

cannon 12-04-2012 5:27 PM

Plinking is a sport shooting.

anothergunnut 12-04-2012 8:53 PM

All my rifles are "sport" since I use them for leisure. And yes, some of them were repurposed from weapons of war. I only have one weapon; it's the gun that is on my LTC that I actually carry.

stix213 12-04-2012 11:46 PM

If your target isn't a bad guy, and you're not breaking the law, then you're sport shooting.

Colt-45 12-04-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defcon (Post 9849396)

To me a sporting firearm is any gun that isn't evil looking and is somewhat accepted by the moderate antis such as: Bolt action hunting rifles(hunting), 22 long rifles(target practice), break open and pump shotguns(trap and skeet). A lot of the moderates think that those are what the 2A is all about and feel comfortable with those types of firearms. Don't say you own an AR or AK because those are assault weapons and they are bad!:eek:

POLICESTATE 12-04-2012 11:55 PM

Sporting rifle. A rifle I use for sport. That could be anything. If I could make a laser rifle I would use it for sport.

Muscles Glasses 12-05-2012 12:11 AM

You can use just about anything for a sport. Such as a ping pong ball for beer pong. I believe that any gun can be used for sport from a single shot .22 all the way to a browning m2hb. The only thing is how you play that sport and how the player uses the tool at hand. You can use the ping pong and throw it in the cup across the table or you can chuck it at the guy's face.

russ69 12-05-2012 7:38 AM

Sporting defines the particular use of the firearm, it does not define the design or configuration of the firearm. Any firearm can be used for sporting purposes.

Decoligny 12-05-2012 8:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn True (Post 9849550)
Though I recoil at the use of "sport" with respect to hunting (a whole other discussion) I would consider any rifle appropriate for use in recreational target shooting, competitive target shooting or hunting a "sporting" rifle. Including, but not limited to; muzzle loaded single shot, breech loaded single shot, lever action, pump action, bolt action and auto-loading semi automatic.

My friend drives out to a nearby mountain side and sets up brightly painted gallon jugs of water on top of rocks. He then drives about a half mile back to his shooting table, and he and his son take out the gallon jugs with his .50 cal rifle.

This is a sporting rifle.

defcon 12-05-2012 8:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt-45 (Post 9854829)
To me a sporting firearm is any gun that isn't evil looking and is somewhat accepted by the moderate antis such as: Bolt action hunting rifles(hunting), 22 long rifles(target practice), break open and pump shotguns(trap and skeet). A lot of the moderates think that those are what the 2A is all about and feel comfortable with those types of firearms. Don't say you own an AR or AK because those are assault weapons and they are bad!:eek:

thanks. this is what i was looking for.

ive been reading a bunch of the paranoia 2A threads and was curious to see how would the public or liberals view the evil looking rifles (non traditional wood stock) as a modern sporting rifle?

i also originally thought that sporting rifles are technically just hunting, trap/skeet and competition matches. i never really thought of plinking paper/steel targets as a sport because im not really physically moving around

robcoe 12-05-2012 8:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defcon (Post 9849396)
I mainly shoot my .22LR's and was wondering if plinking steel targets (non competition/matches) is considered a "sport"?

If there is no intention of drawing blood/killing something, it's sport.

sporting rifle is any rifle not being used to kill something at that time.

defcon 12-05-2012 8:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robcoe (Post 9856165)
If there is no intention of drawing blood/killing something, it's sport.

sporting rifle is any rifle not being used to kill something at that time.

what about hunting or pest control?

IrishPirate 12-05-2012 9:11 AM

I hate the term "sporting rifle" because it perpetuates the idea that you need a "sporting purpose" to own a firearm....so I'd rather completely eliminate the term sporting purpose so that sporting rifle wouldn't need to exist. Until that day...ALL RIFLES ARE SPORTING RIFLES!!!!!!

there are internet threads where you can post pictures of your targets to "compete" for best groupings. So plinking is a sport too since competition is involved.

and before you say that leaves out hunting...you're competing with other hunters for the animals (you gotta find the good ones first, and get as many as possible before the deadline).

russ69 12-05-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt-45 (Post 9854829)

There is no factual basis for that line of thinking. The founding fathers were talking about weapons that would be able to resist or overthrow tyranny. They were referring to modern military arms. Recent Supreme Court rulings have confirmed that the right to have arms is an individual right. Especially the most popular firearms in wide distribution. The left continues to wrongly believe that only "sporting guns" should be in the hands of citizens, but nowhere was that thought on the minds of the founding fathers.

robcoe 12-06-2012 9:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defcon (Post 9856177)
what about hunting or pest control?

Hunting is hunting, not a sport in my opinion.

Pest control is a chore or a job, not a sport in my opinion.

so a rifle used for hunting would be a hunting rifle, whatever type it is, a rifle used for pest control would be a working rifle, whatever type it is.

CALI-gula 12-07-2012 1:12 AM

A firearm that shoots a rifle caliber, including .22LR.

Seesm 12-07-2012 11:48 PM

ALL my AR's are "Sport Utility Rifles" (coined by me) Soo much better than assault....