Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Just picked up a Vulcan AR (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=652007)

Domingo 12-03-2012 1:43 PM

Just picked up a Vulcan AR

I just picked up a Vulcan ar15 could not pass on it how good or bad are they
picked her up for. $500 how could I say no

MrPlink 12-03-2012 1:46 PM

Do a search on that company, that's how. Good luck!

Sicarius 12-03-2012 1:48 PM

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...Gw_s-ot3I4Aylg

tiechshlime 12-03-2012 1:48 PM

I'm pretty sure vulcan is the same as blackthorne and hesse. like mrplink says, good luck.

CSACANNONEER 12-03-2012 1:53 PM

Vulcan has a bad and well deserved reputation but, I do know a couple people who think their Vulcans are the best AR lowers they've ever owned. These are guys with money and plenty of firearms knowledge. So, Vulcan has let a few good ones slip out on accident.

Dead*Reckoned 12-03-2012 2:00 PM

Everytime someone buys a Vulcan...... well, they get what they deserve

Domingo 12-03-2012 2:20 PM

What's so bad about the rifle

MrPlink 12-03-2012 3:05 PM

Poor craftsmanship. Out of spec components. Iirc somebody here purchased an upper from them that was supposed to have a chrome barrel and chamber but it turned out the chamber was just painted silver.

Domingo 12-03-2012 3:32 PM

I been searching and I did find a lot of negative about Vulcan
Ill find out, if i got taken when I get it out
The riffle that I bought was the non polymer and it takes detachable mags.
Everything looks good ill report back when I get it out of jail till then continue the bashing
Since I didn't spend more $$$ for a ar but this not going to be a beauty queen
Is a cheap gun

NHP1127 12-03-2012 4:21 PM

Just me but I'd try to back out of the deal and eat the fees.... or give it to your ex wife.

JNunez23 12-03-2012 4:32 PM

Wow! Note to self; stay away from Vulcan equipment.

I don't like the idea of anyone painting something and passing it for something else; let alone a "reputable" company.

Good luck with the AR. Would never want a Calgunner to be taken advantage of.

Arkangel 12-03-2012 4:42 PM

My condolences...

Cary1911 12-03-2012 4:43 PM

only way to tell is to shoot it!

Colt-45 12-03-2012 4:45 PM

OP, when you buy brands like that YOU become the quality control employee yourself as they seem to do little to none in that department. Expect some troubleshooting unless you got lucky.

I wouldn't have buyers remorse, just shoot it and if it has problems expect to have to solve them yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPlink (Post 9843684)
Poor craftsmanship. Out of spec components. Iirc somebody here purchased an upper from them that was supposed to have a chrome barrel and chamber but it turned out the chamber was just painted silver.

That has to be the biggest gun FAIL I've ever heard of. It's like straight up cheating your customers. I'm not the kind of guy that likes to sue about everything, but to me this sound like something that shouldn't be taken lightly, law suit worthy maybe?

InkHammer 12-03-2012 9:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domingo (Post 9843942)
Everything looks good ill report back when I get it out of jail till then continue the bashing
Is a cheap gun

Not trying to be rude, but if you read all the negative press and probably have not heard much good , why did you still buy it? No one is bashing you for not spending $$$$ on an AR, I think the collective mindset is why cheap out on a rifle, when for less than 200.00 more you could have bought a Smith & Wesson, del-ton, or the like that have warranties and solid reputations? Good luck and I hope they accidentally sold you a good one!

Dead*Reckoned 12-03-2012 9:39 PM

I spent 50 dollars more than you on my entire build for a decent quality upper from psa and a home built lower. Its not that we are bashing you for wanting to save money or wanting a gun to beat around( anyone who has seen my ar here knows its a beater ranch rifle)... it is just my opinion that you could have gotten a lot more value for your money.

Moonshine 12-03-2012 9:40 PM

Please tell me it was t one of the polymer Vulcan ARs... I've seen their polymer lowers they try to pass of as carbon fiber and you can see excess material from where the two prices were stuck together. I have trouble imagining their quality on aluminum receivers is any better.

TKM 12-03-2012 9:41 PM

Ignore them.

By the time you've fixed it you won't actually have a Vulcan anymore.

gun toting monkeyboy 12-03-2012 9:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domingo (Post 9843078)
I just picked up a Vulcan ar15 could not pass on it how good or bad are they
picked her up for. $500 how could I say no

It is really simple. You just say "No" and run, don't walk. I hate to say it, but you've been had. For $500 you could have build a decent gun that would have worked. Or gotten a new, entry-level one for not a lot more. Instead you spent $500 of your hard-earned money on a low-quality turd. It may work. It probably won't. And if it actually does, it is likely to have long-term problems. I would take even a Model 1 Sales gun over them. Or heck, even a pointy stick. At least the majority of the M1S guns work. And they didn't have to repeatedly change their name to stay one step ahead of the lawsuits...

-Mb

nothing4u 12-03-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKM (Post 9847137)
Ignore them.

By the time you've fixed it you won't actually have a Vulcan anymore.

Just shoot it and make sure it functions properly > then you can rub it in that you spent 200 bucks less than everyone else.

Warhawk014 12-03-2012 10:46 PM

hey just make sure you take a buddy with you when you shoot it. and have them record you. i want to see if the whole barrel seperating from the upper receiver and flying down range has any truth to it.

Merc1138 12-04-2012 12:41 AM

Why do people still spend money with this company? Just a couple of months ago we had a calgunner buy a vulcan barrel with a spray painted chamber and crappy muzzle threads.

"This product has a consistent stream of bad reviews, looks like an excellent value!"

I don't get it. All the time on this forum people post about not wanting to break the bank, not making a fortune, and so on. I understand that. What I don't get is why the people who can afford to spend the least willingly take such a gamble with their money. It's not even like this is an issue of a company with poor QC, they intentionally go out of their way to screw their customers. A spraypainted chamber isn't a company trying to save a dollar, it's a company flipping it's customers the bird and laughing.

edit: Here's the thread with the painted barrel: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=620836

glock7 12-04-2012 5:21 AM

yeah i don't understand the whole idea of i've read the reviews i know they are bad but i'll buy it anyways crowd. you bought it so shoot the heck out of it. run it hard and for as long as you can. who knows, maybe it'll serve your needs. enjoy.

-hanko 12-04-2012 6:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiechshlime (Post 9843115)
I'm pretty sure vulcan is the same as blackthorne and hesse. like mrplink says, good luck.

Same guy, all 3 companies

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domingo (Post 9843360)
What's so bad about the rifle

Spend more time on Google.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domingo (Post 9843942)
Is a cheap gun

Negatives not hard to find.

Most AR's are non-plastic and take detachable magazines.

Beauty aside, Hesse has a great reputation at putting out POS guns.

It's not only cheap, but a POS.

So much for your due diligence.:confused:

-hanko

Quiet 12-04-2012 6:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiechshlime (Post 9843115)

It's the same company.
Every few years, they disband and reform under a new name due to bad reviews & lawsuits for bad products.

Hesse -> Vulcan -> Blackthorne -> Velocity Firearms

Bhobbs 12-04-2012 6:34 AM

It would have been better to burn the $500.

peter95 12-04-2012 6:41 AM

OP, just shoot it and have fun with it.

Don't rely on it as a SHTF rifle since it will fail on you.

If backing out of the deal doesn't cost you much, I would do so.

This is the reason why a lot of people build it themselves. You can have a good AR for about $700

Domingo 12-04-2012 7:00 AM

I would like to get feed back from someone that own one and that they didn't hear it from a friend of friend who builds AR's. for daniel defence
give me some facts

TATER313 12-04-2012 7:21 AM

Will take it out and put several hundred rounds through it, Then we will throw it in some mud and cow patties.

InkHammer 12-04-2012 7:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domingo (Post 9848712)
I would like to get feed back from someone that own one and that they didn't hear it from a friend of friend who builds AR's. for daniel defence
give me some facts

Would be hard pressed to find a Calgunner with a Vulcan - Hesse- blackthorne product because we look out for each other and help avoid these mistakes... If you need proof of the dishonest subpar business practices of the company, click the link provided above regarding chrome spray paint in chamber and barrel of one of their guns. Kill the deal and wash your hands reeeeaaal good to get the stink off, then go buy a rifle that was built by people that give a crap! No I'm not saying " Colt, BCM, DD, LMT , Noveske or bust!", but a smith n Wesson sport offers awesome value for the price and a lifetime warranty. When shopping for nearly anything costly, you have to try and get the best value for your$$$$, not buy the cheapest thing available .

Merc1138 12-04-2012 7:56 AM

Quote:

give me some facts

:facepalm:

If you're not going to listen to anyone's feedback, and you already saw all of the negative feedback that vulcan has, why bother?

The facts are that this company is terrible, has horrible QC, intentionally defrauds their customers, and produces a product that is pretty much regarded as trash nationwide.

If you asked how the burgers are at your local diner, and 100 people tell you they're nasty, wtf would you still go buy one?

Steve1968LS2 12-04-2012 8:03 AM

Think of it as a collectors item.. like buying a Yugo automobile.. :)

MotherGunner 12-04-2012 8:31 AM

Good luck to the OP. When I first set out to build my first AR, I had considered cutting corners here and there. Ultimately, I settled on a JD lower, Geissele SSA, and BCM BFH Upper. I and my wallet cried; Buy once, cry once as they say here...

FMJBT 12-04-2012 8:36 AM

Quote:

give me some facts

I have one of their 308 uppers running on top of a Noveske N-6 lower. I had a lot of issues getting it to run somewhat reliably. Even now, after several years if tinkering and parts replacement/modification, it only runs "somewhat" reliably. I don't trust it for anything other than range use, and even then I bring a back up gun which more often than not I end up using. The biggest issue I ran into regarding the quality of the upper was the fitup of the gas block to the barrel. The seating area had lots of rough file marks right in the area where it seals around the gas port. The gas port was also drilled grossly oversized, at about 1/8" in diameter (should be about 1/2 that size on a 26" barrel) causing the rifle to be significantly over gassed. I've had many failures to feed due to the bolt cycling much faster than it needs to. The rifle is also extremely hard on brass, with the extraction process nearly ripping the rim off the case. Having said that, when the rife does decide to run, it's one of the most accurater AR's I've ever owned or shot. With decent ammo it will consistently put 5 rounds into 3/4" or less, typically around 3/8" to 1/2".

gwgn02 12-04-2012 8:36 AM

Imagine the lap dances you could get for 500.00

sd_shooter 12-04-2012 8:53 AM

Post it on the CG marketplace while it is still BNIB and hope the buyer doesn't find this thread :rolleyes: Maybe you'll get some of your money back...

Sniper3142 12-04-2012 8:53 AM

Quote:

give me some facts

I once made the mistake of buying a Heese/Vulcan AR10 type lower.

To call it trash would be an insult... to trash. :(

It has mis aligned holes making it darn near impoosible to assemble with a good upper. There are weld spots and poor manufacturing marks all over it. It is totally worthless.

-hanko 12-04-2012 8:59 AM

Quote:

give me some facts

I've repaired more than a few Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne weapons that would not run, both AR's and FAL's.

All would not run due to defects in parts and/or assembly (manufacture) by Hesse/etc./etc.

I don't have any friends I'm aware of at Daniel Defense.

Look...you already noted you heard bad crap about the maker before you bought the gun, and you realized it's a cheap gun.:rolleyes:

Kind of like buying a Yugo for your next car without heeding prior history from others.

Dumb, but I hope it shoots for you. Obviously, resale value is gonna' be a little sucko.

-hanko

Warhawk014 12-04-2012 9:20 AM

just make sure you dont go shooting by yourself if your going to take that rifle. you might need someone to drive for you afterwards.

762.DEFENSE 12-04-2012 9:25 AM

Good luck.