-   FFL's Forum (
-   -   Off List Handgun Purchase Question (

walterwhite 11-30-2012 2:39 AM

Off List Handgun Purchase Question
I have a friend who is a both Calif & Utah resident.

I would like to purchase a NEW Walther PPQ, I couldn't find it on the list.

He can buy it in Utah.

Can he return to Calif and legally transfer/sell the PPQ to me via FFL?

The PPQ comes with 15 rnd mags. If legal to transfer/sell gun, should he purchase mags (what 10 or 12 round I don't know any more) in Utah and include them the box, removing the 15 round mags?

Also due to possible price savings I am interested in getting S&W 686, S&W 649 or S&W 638.

If legal to have him buy New in Utah, and transfer via CA FFL, I read somewhere that the 1 handgun per 30 days limit does not apply?
Thus we could process say 3 of these handguns at same time?

I have seen from digging around on the internet, some FFL dealers working out of their house in my general area. Is there any benefit from doing the transfer from a retail store FFL or a home base FFL?

I don't know if it is ok ask this question, ignore or delete the question if not ok...

What are the fees on top of the licensing that FFL may charge for the transfer?

Your input / feedback is much appreciated....

Librarian 11-30-2012 9:10 AM

Fine to ask.

If your friend has CA ID, he can PPT the guns to you, and you are correct, 1-in-30 does not apply to PPT.

He doesn't even have to file paper with the state before he could sell it - the only thing that even seems to apply (CA gun law doesn't understand dual residency) would be the New Resident registration, and law says one can sell such a newly imported gun at a CA FFL instead of filing the paper.

10-round mags. He could also take the 15s apart and sell them to you as parts kits, but you could not legally reassemble them in CA.

PPT is $35, by law, for the first handgun, $31 each for any others in the same transaction. See DOJ Dealer FAQ.

Caution: There would be some question of whether he was the actual purchaser when he bought in UT. If he would really buy them for himself and decide he didn't like them, or you would enjoy them more, he could resell them. But if he were to buy them with YOUR money, or with the understanding that he would be reimbursed, rather than buying for himself he would be buying as your agent - and the only way he could do that in UT would be to lie on the 4473 where it asks if he were the actual purchaser. That's a felony; that would be bad.

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.