Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Rimfire Firearms (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   CZ452 vs CZ455 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=650389)

penguinofsleep 11-29-2012 5:10 PM

CZ452 vs CZ455

So I'd like to get one of these sooner than later and have been wondering about the differences between the two.

I have looked at some other forums/threads but have only found two other posts/opinion that was very helpful. Everything else seemed to be some guy saying picking one or the other "because I like it". One that I found was here (first post):
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=32042.0

So far it seems like CZ removed the 2nd locking lug on the 455 and no longer uses a threaded barrel but rather use set screws now - I imagine both are not an issue for a 22lr IF executed correctly. Supposedly equal in the accuracy department. Also saw one post on another forum that the trigger for the 452 is a little bit more adjustable but didn't see any other info confirming this (I would really like this). Based on the pictures, all the parts in the 452 look like one giant tool mark, but so do many CZ pistols and I REALLY like them (doesn't seem like this would affect function either).

penguinofsleep 11-29-2012 5:13 PM

Also I plan on shooting this with irons and/or aperture sights, mostly free hand but may want to use a rest/bags or bipod occasionally.

Izzy43 11-30-2012 9:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinofsleep (Post 9816747)
Also I plan on shooting this with irons and/or aperture sights, mostly free hand but may want to use a rest/bags or bipod occasionally.

If primary use will be iron or aperture sights then I would suggest the 452 UltraLux (28.5" barrel) which will give you the longest sight radius. Next would be the 452 or 455 Trainer with a 24" barrel. The 455 is the one that you can change barrels on if I remember correctly. That may be a plus.

Here is my 452 UltraLux in a Boyd's RVT stock. Sights are BRNO Target Sights and installed a YoDave Trigger Kit. Sight radius is 34.5", great shooter.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8178/7...023b43b7_c.jpg

penguinofsleep 11-30-2012 7:44 PM

Great looking rifle, I like it. Your setup looks pretty close to what I'd want.

And yes, the 455 has interchangeable barrels.

Some more questions if you don't mind:
- This is subjective, but how does the rifle balance with such a long barrel? I don't plan on shooting silhouette/competition so I'd take balance and ease of use during a long session over the benefits of that great sight radius.
- Does the Yodave kit just cut some of the slack/creep out while lightening the pull or does it change the trigger pull all together (ie say to something 1911 like, glock like, etc etc)?
- Typical group (at w/e distance you normally shoot at with w/e ammo it likes best)?
- Is the "inside" of the front sight a clear plastic circle with a hole in the middle? If so, how do you like it compared to other aperture sights you may have used?

General rimfire question:
- Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 22lr doesn't get much velocity wise past a 14" barrel. Does it begin to lose performance at 28"+ vs say 24" or 20"?

Navin_R_Johnson 11-30-2012 8:30 PM

I just went through this same decision, 455 vs. 452. I read, talked to folks and milled over it for several weeks and decided on the 455 Lux. The 452 Trainer was the second in line but made my decision because I prefer the walnut stock of the 455.

22lr reaches it's highest velocity out of a 16-18" barrel, depending on the load of course, and a longer barrel will slow the round somewhat. I've seen quite a few claims that a longer barrel will give more consistent velocity between rounds but I have yet to find the measurements to back any of the claims. Maybe someone here has or can link to measurements?

The Yodave kit comes with springs to make the pull lighter and also shims to take out creep. It sounds like the trigger on the 455 is a slight bit better when both are stock but, still needs a work over to get working to liking. No big deal IMHO, is a cheep and easy fix.

Izzy43 12-01-2012 7:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinofsleep (Post 9825402)
Great looking rifle, I like it. Your setup looks pretty close to what I'd want.

And yes, the 455 has interchangeable barrels.

Some more questions if you don't mind:
- This is subjective, but how does the rifle balance with such a long barrel? I don't plan on shooting silhouette/competition so I'd take balance and ease of use during a long session over the benefits of that great sight radius.
- Does the Yodave kit just cut some of the slack/creep out while lightening the pull or does it change the trigger pull all together (ie say to something 1911 like, glock like, etc etc)?
- Typical group (at w/e distance you normally shoot at with w/e ammo it likes best)?
- Is the "inside" of the front sight a clear plastic circle with a hole in the middle? If so, how do you like it compared to other aperture sights you may have used?

General rimfire question:
- Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 22lr doesn't get much velocity wise past a 14" barrel. Does it begin to lose performance at 28"+ vs say 24" or 20"?

The rifle has great balance, especially with the original stock. Balance is not quite as good with the stock I have but I changed the stock for benchrest shooting. Works much better on a rest and is more accurate than with the original stock. If using for hunting or offhand shooting I would stick with the original stock.

The YoDave kit eliminates all creep and allows for a lighter trigger pull. It comes with a variety of shims (for creep) and springs for weight of pull. Easy to install.

Typical groups with SK Std + subsonic ammo :

50 yds from a benchrest position. These two groups measure under 1/2"

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8033/8...8b297570_c.jpg

25yds from a benchrest position, same ammo.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8320/8...d2fed62c_c.jpg

I use the clear plastic apertures in the front, works fine for me and I prefer them to the black metal apertures. I also have an adjustable rear aperture (no magnification) which helped accuracy.

I chronographed some high velocity (1260fps) ammo out of this rifle to see what velocity loss may be present. Average velocity was 1230fps for 10 rounds. No biggee. I bought the rifle for the long sight radius as accuracy was more important to me than bullet velocity.

penguinofsleep 12-02-2012 11:23 AM

thanks for the pics and info guys.

looks like it won't make a huge difference which one i get now seeing as how the trigger is easy/cheap to improve and most of the other stuff i was wondering about is more or less equal or inconsequential in terms of performance, function, etc.

guess it will come down to which ever one "feels" better in my hands or is more readily available/cheaper. or if i can manage to nab one with a 24" or 28" barrel. im guessing 452's were common enough for a long enough time that I shouldn't have trouble getting parts, repairs, etc later on if the need arises seeing as how they are slowly being phased out.

anyone else with other info keep it coming.

Singlekorn 12-02-2012 11:40 AM

I went through this same thing about 6 months ago and decided on a 455. I think this post from RimfireCentral is the best information on the Internet when comparing the 452 and the 455.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=344852

dfletcher 12-02-2012 8:16 PM

I have a 455 and a few 452s - the triggers are nearly the same, non-adjustable. The 455 has a shorter overtravel. A slightly softer trigger return spring in each helps quite a bit. The YoDave makes it even better.

penguinofsleep 12-10-2012 1:30 PM

thanks for the info so far - purchase has been delayed :( but im really hoping to get them soon... 2 weeks... soon...

dfletcher - haven't found a 452 to try side by side with the 455 yet so i can't comment on similarity (i've tried both individually on different days), but cz lists directly on their website that triggers are adjustable for pull weight. a few other random bits of info online also state the triggers are somewhat adjustable.

when you say non-adjustable, do you mean for pull characteristics (ie force vs distance travelled graph for trigger pull), the poundage, barely adjustable enough for marketing to say it is, etc? just curious as i remember you gave some good info in my DW thread.

cjlane 12-10-2012 3:46 PM

get a 455 tactical trainer

Fadedline 12-11-2012 12:01 PM

I would get the 452 Ultra Lux or Lux before they're all gone. Then get the 455 :)

Bumslie 12-11-2012 12:29 PM

Tag. I was going to ask this same exact question in Feburary! Thanks!

zhyla 12-13-2012 4:46 AM

I've had a 452 ultralux on order since August. As far as I know they're not discontinuing this model until at least after next year. No idea why it's taking this long.

edit: got a response from CZ-USA, they're expecting to do a build of 452 UltraLuxes in February so I might get mine in say, March/April.

Paul053 12-16-2012 10:29 AM

Hey izzy have you had the opportunity to use Denny's match stock that he sells? How is that for bench rest shooting?