Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Rimfire Firearms (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Ruger 10/22 Blued vs. SS (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=650326)

MotoriousRacing 11-29-2012 1:54 PM

Ruger 10/22 Blued vs. SS
 
What benefit, if any, is there for SS over blued? My apologies if this has been discussed before, but my search came up empty and/or too many to read through.

I currently have a Ruger 10/22 compact with wood stock and SS I bought about 20 years ago. I bought a swivel kit for a sling, but now I'm thinking about getting another 10/22 and keep the old one OEM.

Starting tomorrow, Turner's has the Syn./Blued for $190 and the Syn./SS for $200, and I'd like to pick one up.

Thanks for your help.

bohoki 11-29-2012 2:06 PM

the barrel is less likely to get pitted with rust if neglected

Chaos47 11-29-2012 2:30 PM

its shiny!

MotoriousRacing 11-29-2012 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bohoki (Post 9815816)
the barrel is less likely to get pitted with rust if neglected

Make's sense. Thanks.

44fred 11-29-2012 3:00 PM

Bluing no matter how well you care for it will eventually rub off. Stainless has nothing to rub off, same finish all through the metal. BTW stainless is not rust proof but is a much more durable finish. All my guns are stainless if they were offered during purchase. $10.00 is well worth the upgrade.

JackRydden224 11-29-2012 3:06 PM

Turners has both for sale at $199 which is a killer good price is you ask me...

morrcarr67 11-29-2012 3:17 PM

I'm going tomorrow to get a SS one. Glad I make my own schedule and had already decided to take tomorrow off.

MotoriousRacing 11-29-2012 3:22 PM

I think I'll get the SS one also. When the ad says 300 available, is that per store, or total?

toby 11-29-2012 3:41 PM

ONLY the barrel is stainless the action is all painted, watse of $$$ if you ask me.

ojisan 11-29-2012 3:44 PM

Older SS guns had a beautiful machined bright and smooth finish on the barrels.
Some of the newer ones look like they have silver paint on them.

bohoki 11-29-2012 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toby (Post 9816507)
ONLY the barrel is stainless the action is all painted, watse of $$$ if you ask me.

yea its a freakin rip at minimum they should use a stainless bolt catch and charging handle to have them blend



reminds me of marlin 60 stainless they go through all the effort to make most everything shiney except that one got dang screw in front of the trigger guard always blued often buggered

ps any body know what year they came out with the stainless?

morrcarr67 11-30-2012 9:37 AM

One less SS model available. Pick up on 12-10.

Quickdraw Mcgraw 11-30-2012 1:13 PM

I personally perfer the blued ones since I usially swap barrels anyways and I just don't like SHINY for guns...everybodys diffrent and when I first started shooting
I loved shiny for guns and even had a chrome .38 lol. Guess I'm getting older!

MotoriousRacing 11-30-2012 2:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morrcarr67 (Post 9821585)
One less SS model available. Pick up on 12-10.

Ditto

Black107 11-30-2012 2:34 PM

Just jailed a stainless carbine at Turner's, great price, super excited. This will be my first long gun :)

Solid Foundation 11-30-2012 2:40 PM

I've heard that the SS action can be a little more gritty than the blued.
I have no fact to base this on, just some opinions on people I trust.

I bought blued and proceeded to replace just about every part.

morrcarr67 11-30-2012 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickdraw Mcgraw (Post 9823187)
I personally perfer the blued ones since I usially swap barrels anyways and I just don't like SHINY for guns...everybodys diffrent and when I first started shooting
I loved shiny for guns and even had a chrome .38 lol. Guess I'm getting older!

I do too but these aren't blue. They're black and they couldn't tell me if it was painted on or if this is the same kind of process as blueing only coming out black.

reckoner 11-30-2012 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bohoki (Post 9815816)
the barrel is less likely to get pitted with rust if neglected

It doesn't take much for the non-SS to start rusting, either. I shot an Appleseed class in the rain and it was spotted with rust the same night.

bohoki 11-30-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reckoner (Post 9825130)
It doesn't take much for the non-SS to start rusting, either. I shot an Appleseed class in the rain and it was spotted with rust the same night.

damn skippy everybody knows iron hates being steel and wants to join with oxygen

the only thing stopping that is various coatings or throw in some chrome for the iron to hug and they generally leave oxygen alone

SB1964 11-30-2012 10:46 PM

Mines Stainless prolly 8 years old. I shoot on the Ocean, Desert, Rain...I dont care. It`s not a defensive Gun, so it`s Stainless & generally weatherproof. Best "bang for Buck" Gun I have, just ordered Volq hammer/Sear. Good Buy at 200$ !!!

CharlesV 12-03-2012 1:23 AM

I never had any SS and dont think im worse off for it. SS gets its own diseases with time as does any finish. If prices are equal, ok SS why not, otherwise dont bother. Otherwise, guns that are too shiny or chromed disgust me in general.

sharxbyte 12-03-2012 1:34 AM

The bluing decreases the accuracy and causes the barrel to flex like AK barrels. ;)

Steve_In_29 12-03-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoriousRacing (Post 9816347)
I think I'll get the SS one also. When the ad says 300 available, is that per store, or total?

If the ad doesn't state "per store" then it is the total amount they have.

xDIEGOx 12-03-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morrcarr67 (Post 9821585)
One less SS model available. Pick up on 12-10.

Same here. :D

CessnaDriver 12-03-2012 1:16 PM

The stainless will reflect light better making you easier to spot.

Dakine_surf 12-03-2012 1:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morrcarr67 (Post 9823941)
I do too but these aren't blue. They're black and they couldn't tell me if it was painted on or if this is the same kind of process as blueing only coming out black.

Yeah only the barrel is blued... the receiver is still aluminium, and anodized so some say, it scratches pretty easy and it comes off pretty easy with some Tal-strip, so I am not 100% what it is.

m98 12-05-2012 7:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharxbyte (Post 9840177)
The bluing decreases the accuracy and causes the barrel to flex like AK barrels. ;)


U mean the barrel will warp if shot conistantly thru with 50rds

liberty47 12-05-2012 6:47 PM

went to Turner's today, no more stainless steel so I jailed the blued, good price and allegedly I bought the last one (at that price)

tanakasan 12-05-2012 7:06 PM

Congrats! Great price, fun rifle!

Robert

bohoki 12-05-2012 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CessnaDriver (Post 9842895)
The stainless will reflect light better making you easier to spot.

its funny the things you hunt with a 10/22 seem to be attracted by shiny things

and if you are going to battle with a stainless 10/22 its shinyness is the last thing on your list of problems

MasterrEugene 12-05-2012 9:26 PM

as it has been said, stainless steel is more resistant to rust, but this problem can be fixed by duracoating a blued gun.(edit: usually) Saves you lots of money that way and a duracoat job can be done by the average joe. Besides, black just looks cooler :cool2:

bsg 12-07-2012 1:14 AM

nice deal on both.

morrcarr67 12-07-2012 8:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakine_surf (Post 9843091)
Yeah only the barrel is blued... the receiver is still aluminium, and anodized so some say, it scratches pretty easy and it comes off pretty easy with some Tal-strip, so I am not 100% what it is.

The barrel is not blue. It's black. Is this done by the same process as "blueing"?

Joe Register 12-07-2012 9:41 PM

I always prefer blued over stainless when shooting outside. Less glare. I used a shotgun with a stainless receiver for a few rounds of sporting clays instead of my trusty 390. It was irritating. If shooting inside or in the shade it isn't such a big deal.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.