Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Curio & Relic/Black Powder (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   2X Classic Arms SKS Pictures. Updated! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=649045)

Bobby Ricigliano 11-26-2012 5:15 PM

2X Classic Arms SKS Pictures. Updated!
 
I eagerly awaited the Brown Van O' Goodness and my box arrived at around 2pm today from Classic Arms. My order was a hand select / matching SKS.

First Impressions:

Classic seems to package their rifles a little better, as this one was tightly packed in bubble wrap inside the cardboard box. I greedily tore at it in anticipation of the contents. The fun part of this whole Chicom SKS bonanza is wondering what your particular rifle will look like, as it seems they are all over the spectrum.

I immediately noticed that the stock looked like it had been PAINTED with grey paint! It was patchy and the mottled red finish was visible where the paint wore off.

On the other hand, all of the metal surfaces were deep blue and MINTY. I immediately tore the rifle apart to look for hidden rust or issues (Both of the J&G rifles I got had some minor pitting on the receiver below the wood line). This one has no pitting or rust anywhere at all.

All of the metal looked great and all the numbers matched 100%. Once I started wiping down the stock with mineral spirits I realized that the stock is matching and original to the gun..Yeah!!

I failed to take pictures before tearing it down but I snapped a few after the fact. The stock is actually in good shape underneath all that gunk. I will post up pictures of as soon as its all put back together.

P.S. I thought I might sell this one off, but after receiving it and inspecting it....I'M KEEPING IT!


http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...edef6b6965.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...4100cc9752.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...84f9d88591.jpg

scobun 11-26-2012 5:22 PM

Dang, I ordered 5 from Classic in the hopes of getting just one that nice. I hope I do as well. Nice rifle!

TRICKSTER 11-26-2012 5:31 PM

I ordered two hand select. One looks fine and the other doesn't have any finish left and rust on the bolt. I think that I will send that one back based on their "hand select" description.

"Hand Select - Expect Stocks to be dark and discolored with dents, dings, scratches and possible carvings but no major gouges or chunks missing . Metal finish will be between 60% and 95% ( yes, many have close to 100% blue still left ) with 75% to 80% probably being most typical. "

Regula 11-26-2012 5:34 PM

Nice. Mine was like your metal wise, but the stock had some major issues...
Nice pickup!

Capybara 11-26-2012 5:41 PM

Hmm...I am thinking of ordering the same Bobby, but I have a mint blonde '55 Tula arriving this week and I don't think I have enough room in the safe for another. Choices, choices, guess I could remove the bolt and keep it in the safe and keep the Chinese SKS beater in the closet?

Bobby Ricigliano 11-26-2012 6:01 PM

I have noticed one thing about these C&R SKS rifles. They feel heavier and sturdier than the later Chines SkS that were designed for the civilian market, specifically the ones with the bright orange stocks and stamped receivers. I have both and I love both, but there is definitely a tangible difference.

Marcus von W. 11-26-2012 6:07 PM

Late Chinese SKS rifles have milled receivers. Only a very few, very rare and collectable, ones have stamped receivers. The stamped receiver SKS's are not civilian production.

Bobby Ricigliano 11-26-2012 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capybara (Post 9796156)
Hmm...I am thinking of ordering the same Bobby, but I have a mint blonde '55 Tula arriving this week and I don't think I have enough room in the safe for another. Choices, choices, guess I could remove the bolt and keep it in the safe and keep the Chinese SKS beater in the closet?

I am curious as to what a Blonde Tula SKS looks like. It is my understanding that all original Russian stocks were either Arctic Birch red or laminated.

Capybara 11-26-2012 6:34 PM

Not sure if it is original but when I saw it, it was love at first sight, I had to have it. It arrives later this week.

Many pictures of higher quality will ensue.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1353987211

Bobby Ricigliano 11-26-2012 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capybara (Post 9796514)
Not sure if it is original but when I saw it, it was love at first sight, I had to have it. It arrives later this week.

Many pictures of higher quality will ensue.

http://i1078.com/albums/w489/capybar...g?t=1353987211

That looks like an aftermarket stock, but regardless that is a sharp looking rifle!

Bobby Ricigliano 11-26-2012 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus von W. (Post 9796325)
Late Chinese SKS rifles have milled receivers. Only a very few, very rare and collectable, ones have stamped receivers. The stamped receiver SKS's are not civilian production.

If this is the case then I stand corrected. In any case, the older Chicoms feel more durable. I have a 60's era Chicom that appears to be of higher overall quality than my late model ( 80's) SKS.

Capybara 11-26-2012 8:11 PM

What kind of wood do you think that is Bobby? I am terrible at looking at wood and determining what type it is? Could it be Birch or Beech?

steve91104 11-26-2012 9:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capybara (Post 9797273)
What kind of wood do you think that is Bobby? I am terrible at looking at wood and determining what type it is? Could it be Birch or Beech?

In the first set of pics from the OP, I'm pretty sure that is catalpa (chu) wood.

Oh, and beautiful rifle btw!


:D

Lurch762 11-26-2012 9:50 PM

Man, your hand select looks nothing like my hand select. Mine can't have more than about 10% bluing left.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=649182
Based on the description on Classic's website, I think I would have reason enough to return it but I'm not going to. Secretly, I like that the finish is almost worn off on mine, ;)

Bobby Ricigliano 11-27-2012 3:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capybara (Post 9797273)
What kind of wood do you think that is Bobby? I am terrible at looking at wood and determining what type it is? Could it be Birch or Beech?

I'm not sure.., I suppose you could get an original stock to look like that if it was stripped bare and refinished from scratch. Are there any stampings ornumbers on it?

Bobby Ricigliano 11-27-2012 3:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scobun (Post 9796035)
Dang, I ordered 5 from Classic in the hopes of getting just one that nice. I hope I do as well. Nice rifle!

I'll wager that all 5 will be keepers.., what do you do then?

NOTABIKER 11-27-2012 4:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capybara (Post 9796514)
Not sure if it is original but when I saw it, it was love at first sight, I had to have it. It arrives later this week.

Many pictures of higher quality will ensue.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1353987211

the wood looks like my YUGO SKS very nice

Cannon-Arms 11-27-2012 4:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRICKSTER (Post 9796097)
I ordered two hand select. One looks fine and the other doesn't have any finish left and rust on the bolt. I think that I will send that one back based on their "hand select" description.

Bet you'd be better off selling it in the marketplace.

Cannon-Arms 11-27-2012 5:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano (Post 9795966)
I eagerly awaited the Brown Van O' Goodness and my box arrived at around 2pm today from Classic Arms. My order was a hand select / matching SKS.

First Impressions:

Classic seems to package their rifles a little better, as this one was tightly packed in bubble wrap inside the cardboard box. I greedily tore at it in anticipation of the contents. The fun part of this whole Chicom SKS bonanza is wondering what your particular rifle will look like, as it seems they are all over the spectrum.

I immediately noticed that the stock looked like it had been PAINTED with grey paint! It was patchy and the mottled red finish was visible where the paint wore off.

On the other hand, all of the metal surfaces were deep blue and MINTY. I immediately tore the rifle apart to look for hidden rust or issues (Both of the J&G rifles I got had some minor pitting on the receiver below the wood line). This one has no pitting or rust anywhere at all.

All of the metal looked great and all the numbers matched 100%. Once I started wiping down the stock with mineral spirits I realized that the stock is matching and original to the gun..Yeah!!

I failed to take pictures before tearing it down but I snapped a few after the fact. The stock is actually in good shape underneath all that gunk. I will post up pictures of as soon as its all put back together.

P.S. I thought I might sell this one off, but after receiving it and inspecting it....I'M KEEPING IT!


Looks good. Can't wait till I get the time to clean mine fully.

Regula 11-27-2012 5:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capybara (Post 9796514)
Not sure if it is original but when I saw it, it was love at first sight, I had to have it. It arrives later this week.

Many pictures of higher quality will ensue.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1353987211

Hmm. Ive seen one just like that. Just a theory here (dont shoot the messenger) but maybe its a refinish? Ive seen them stripped of the shellac and they look almost pine like. Very blond. It was reddish before with flaking shellac, and after a strip was blond like that. Again, just a theory. Looks amazing though either way.

Regula 11-27-2012 5:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano (Post 9795966)
I eagerly awaited the Brown Van O' Goodness and my box arrived at around 2pm today from Classic Arms. My order was a hand select / matching SKS.

First Impressions:

Classic seems to package their rifles a little better, as this one was tightly packed in bubble wrap inside the cardboard box. I greedily tore at it in anticipation of the contents. The fun part of this whole Chicom SKS bonanza is wondering what your particular rifle will look like, as it seems they are all over the spectrum.

I immediately noticed that the stock looked like it had been PAINTED with grey paint! It was patchy and the mottled red finish was visible where the paint wore off.

On the other hand, all of the metal surfaces were deep blue and MINTY. I immediately tore the rifle apart to look for hidden rust or issues (Both of the J&G rifles I got had some minor pitting on the receiver below the wood line). This one has no pitting or rust anywhere at all.

All of the metal looked great and all the numbers matched 100%. Once I started wiping down the stock with mineral spirits I realized that the stock is matching and original to the gun..Yeah!!

I failed to take pictures before tearing it down but I snapped a few after the fact. The stock is actually in good shape underneath all that gunk. I will post up pictures of as soon as its all put back together.

P.S. I thought I might sell this one off, but after receiving it and inspecting it....I'M KEEPING IT!


http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...edef6b6965.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...4100cc9752.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...84f9d88591.jpg

I have a question for you if you wouldnt mind. Were the bayonets on your glossy-like as if they were polished a bit, or more of a matte? I cant tell from your pic. Im just curious, mine came a bit polished, not chrome like, but definitely shiny.

Capybara 11-27-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regula (Post 9798819)
Hmm. Ive seen one just like that. Just a theory here (dont shoot the messenger) but maybe its a refinish? Ive seen them stripped of the shellac and they look almost pine like. Very blond. It was reddish before with flaking shellac, and after a strip was blond like that. Again, just a theory. Looks amazing though either way.

I won't be miffed if it is a refinish, this will be my main SKS shooter and I wanted a Russian, supposedly the metal and bore are like new. i also have a weakness for blond stocks, they are eye catching and unusual looking when you are at the range. I am much more of a shooter than a hardcore collector. I will still end up buying one of the Chinese, I too kind of dig the beat up look in a way, although I have a source for NIB Norinco SKS so I could get one of those as well.

Bobby Ricigliano 11-27-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regula (Post 9798825)
I have a question for you if you wouldnt mind. Were the bayonets on your glossy-like as if they were polished a bit, or more of a matte? I cant tell from your pic. Im just curious, mine came a bit polished, not chrome like, but definitely shiny.

All of the Chinese SKS's with blade bayonets I own have the matte metal finish. The rest have the spike bayonets. The only shiny metal bayonets I've seen have been on Russians.

DennisCA 11-27-2012 1:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano (Post 9795966)
I eagerly awaited the Brown Van O' Goodness and my box arrived at around 2pm today from Classic Arms. My order was a hand select / matching SKS.

First Impressions:

Classic seems to package their rifles a little better, as this one was tightly packed in bubble wrap inside the cardboard box. I greedily tore at it in anticipation of the contents. The fun part of this whole Chicom SKS bonanza is wondering what your particular rifle will look like, as it seems they are all over the spectrum.

I immediately noticed that the stock looked like it had been PAINTED with grey paint! It was patchy and the mottled red finish was visible where the paint wore off.

On the other hand, all of the metal surfaces were deep blue and MINTY. I immediately tore the rifle apart to look for hidden rust or issues (Both of the J&G rifles I got had some minor pitting on the receiver below the wood line). This one has no pitting or rust anywhere at all.

All of the metal looked great and all the numbers matched 100%. Once I started wiping down the stock with mineral spirits I realized that the stock is matching and original to the gun..Yeah!!

I failed to take pictures before tearing it down but I snapped a few after the fact. The stock is actually in good shape underneath all that gunk. I will post up pictures of as soon as its all put back together.

P.S. I thought I might sell this one off, but after receiving it and inspecting it....I'M KEEPING IT!


http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...edef6b6965.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...4100cc9752.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...84f9d88591.jpg

Awesome!
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...oddo1_1280.jpg

Bobby Ricigliano 11-27-2012 5:32 PM

****UPDATE****

So I returned to the garage after work for round 2 with this SKS rehab...After a night in the mineral spirits the parts look GREAT. Mrs. Ricigliano asked what I was doing in the garage and I replied..

"WINNING...!!!!"

The stock is coming along nicely. Lots of nicks but fully intact with a nice patina and the numbers are now clear to see as matching. Pardon the terrible lighting in my garage, but I took a few pics of the components as they dry out before final oiling and assembly.

I forgot to mention before that this one is a 'Factory 26'. AKA " /26\"

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...197a852f55.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...3b357bf8b5.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...7d14f6490d.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...6d15a02587.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...f07871d715.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...3da69257e6.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...d8347ac58e.jpg

Chaos47 11-27-2012 8:25 PM

So it sounds like the stock had that almost worn off gray hazed shellac? And you just used mineral spirits to remove it? Did you do anything else? Or any special technique?

Can't tell from the new photo of the stock, what have you done to it? Applied a coat of amber shellac? Or Poly? It looks shiny now, or is that just the photo?

Bobby Ricigliano 11-28-2012 5:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos47 (Post 9804257)
So it sounds like the stock had that almost worn off gray hazed shellac? And you just used mineral spirits to remove it? Did you do anything else? Or any special technique?

Can't tell from the new photo of the stock, what have you done to it? Applied a coat of amber shellac? Or Poly? It looks shiny now, or is that just the photo?

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about stock refinishing.... when the mineral spirits were not effective in removing the grey stuff I used some 220 grit sandpaper and it came off. Then I used mineral spirits to clean the gunk off the stock. It only looks wet in the picture because there was a fresh coat of mineral spirits on it.

I was probably going to put a few coats of boiled linseed oil on it as a protectant. I used BLO before on a diferent stock
but it didn't change the appearance of the stock at all, so maybe I didn't do it right.

P.S. I have read about going to collector hell for using sandpaper, but I do not see this

rifle as a museum piece and I already have several minty SKS's in the safe that don't get shot. This one will be one of my range guns.

NOTABIKER 11-28-2012 5:40 AM

i think this last batch of Chinese SKSs are a real find. my ser # is in the same range as the one you have. they all seem pretty much be in the same shape. i cleaned the wood first with WD 40 . then i used de natured alcohol and a scotch pad. finished off with a product called lenspeed. it is a blend of linseed oil and something that makes it dry faster. i took mine to the range and it is a good sound shooter. i have been wanting a Chinese to go along with my YUGO .

BruinGuy 11-28-2012 6:59 AM

If you're going to collector hell for using sandpaper, I'll be looking up at you from the 6th Circle...

I had to completely strip, sand, and refinish the stock on mine. It looked like it had been used to pound railroad spikes building the transcontinental. After I cleaned the gunk off, the stock had shiny but flaking patches of shellac, patches where it was dyed wood, and large patches of bare wood that in the case of the top and bottom of the buttstock was chewed up and splintering. When I got a splinter in my finger through the latex gloves I was wearing I knew it needed more than a clean and oil.

I just stripped it with Citrustrip, lightly sanded off the fuzz, and now I'm staining it with Sedona Red which is a very good match for the color it came to me as. I'm going to go with tung oil followed by paste wax to finish her up. At least I'll be able to shoot it without getting splinters in my face or worrying that pieces are going to catch on something and tear chunks out of the stock!

There will be a thread when I'm done so that I can be properly chastised by the purists. ;)

Bobby Ricigliano 11-28-2012 9:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinGuy (Post 9806110)
If you're going to collector hell for using sandpaper, I'll be looking up at you from the 6th Circle...

I had to completely strip, sand, and refinish the stock on mine. It looked like it had been used to pound railroad spikes building the transcontinental.

Now that's comedy gold. Right up there with the guy who said his SKS stock looked like someone set it on fire and then put it out with an icepick.

I look forward to seeing that stock once you rehab it Bruin.

Rukus 11-28-2012 10:01 AM

Looking good Bobby! I see you have a 13 stamped on the receiver underneath the serial number. Is there a corresponding 13 on the barrel lug as well? I have matching 16's on mine. Also my barrel lug has a completely different set of numbers stamped on it, any ideas what they are? I have pics in my own thread...

Regula 11-28-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano (Post 9807118)
Now that's comedy gold. Right up there with the guy who said his SKS stock looked like someone set it on fire and then put it out with an icepick.

Ha ha. Mine looked like they used it to ski down a hill of gravel and razor blades. It would bend and flex because enough material was missing from the center. Had to just restock.

Oh yeah weird thing about the bayonet...my bayonet is glossy polished like a russian. My friend picked his up yesterday from turners, and it had a cigarette butt in the trap. Now thats a prize!

Bobby Ricigliano 11-28-2012 12:00 PM

This whole SKS influx is a winner for everyone. If you have a C&R, you can buy a bunch and keep what you want, selling what you don't want easily. Half the fun is getting the box and tearing it open to see what is in that Crackerjack box!

Bobby Ricigliano 11-28-2012 12:05 PM

Here's a great idea:

Buy an extra one and leave it in the sealed box when you get it. Gift wrap it and put it under your Christmas tree.

On Christmas morning, scamper down the stairs and tear it open like a child. Memories of Christmases long past coupled with new SKS goodness will warm your heart and make you feel all toasty inside.

Then beg permission from the Misses to go in the garage and play with your new toy.

There you go....a perfect Christmas.

BroncoBob 11-28-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano (Post 9805833)
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about stock refinishing.... when the mineral spirits were not effective in removing the grey stuff I used some 220 grit sandpaper and it came off. Then I used mineral spirits to clean the gunk off the stock. It only looks wet in the picture because there was a fresh coat of mineral spirits on it.

I was probably going to put a few coats of boiled linseed oil on it as a protectant. I used BLO before on a diferent stock
but it didn't change the appearance of the stock at all, so maybe I didn't do it right.

P.S. I have read about going to collector hell for using sandpaper, but I do not see this rifle as a museum piece and I already have several minty

SKS's in the safe that don't get shot. This one will be one of my range guns.



Boy I remember the collector hell I went through for doing such a thing....

:innocent:

BruinGuy 11-28-2012 1:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano (Post 9807904)
Here's a great idea:

Buy an extra one and leave it in the sealed bx when you get it. Gift wrap it and put it under your Christmas tree.

On Christmas morning, scamper down the stairs and tear it open like a child. Memories of Christmases long past coupled with new SKS goodness will warm your heart and make you feel all toasty inside.

Then beg permission from the Misses to go in the garage and play with your new toy.

There you go....a perfect Christmas.

YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT KID!!!

HO - HO - HOOOOOO

Bobby Ricigliano 11-28-2012 4:37 PM

So I put this Commie blaster back together today and lubed it up properly. I probably could have spent more time on the stock but I am happy with its character and it feels silky smooth..no more rough spots. If I dropped the chassis into a replacement stock this thing would look practically new, but since the stock is original and matching that isn't going to happen. Here's a few pictures of the finished product. I had to wrap it up...there is another SKS coming tomorrow from Classic!!!!

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...71f64f4edf.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...0933dd4329.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...47377a9404.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...c57daba89b.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...3d1b045014.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...96b8f5aebe.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...39d80b443d.jpg

BroncoBob 11-28-2012 7:30 PM

Looks very nice Bobby, it's amazing the beatings these rifle took.

Capybara 11-28-2012 7:35 PM

Damn, that stock has some scars. Looks sweet.

BruinGuy 11-28-2012 7:55 PM

Damn Bobby, you've got the bug! Another one coming? When are you going to take them out and put them through their paces?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.