Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing & How To (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   To build a legal mak90? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=645988)

backstrap 11-19-2012 8:18 AM

To build a legal mak90?

I haven't seen many of these built. If I was to get a kit I can build it as long as the receiver doesn't say mak right? I know some of the trunnions are stamped also, is it legal for the trunnion to have mak on it? Also I haven't browsed the net a lot lately is anyone making the flats for these right now?

jamesob 11-19-2012 12:08 PM

Turbothis makes a mak/nhm receiver for the Chinese rifles. You can build them as long as you make it ca compliant.

backstrap 11-19-2012 1:00 PM

Can the trunnion say mak90 on it?

SJgunguy24 11-19-2012 5:44 PM

This is my MAK 90, there's nothing but a number on the trunnion. You will also need larger shank rivets than the type that Curtis (ak builder) sells. You will need to make your own build tools or modify the ak builder tools.

backstrap 11-19-2012 6:53 PM

The kit I'm looking at 100% has mak90 stamped on the trunnion. Thanks for the tooling heads up SJ. Can it stay or does it need to go?

SJgunguy24 11-19-2012 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backstrap (Post 9755160)
The kit I'm looking at 100% has mak90 stamped on the trunnion. Thanks for the tooling heads up SJ. Can it stay or does it need to go?

Last I checked, the trunnion isn't the receiver. If your worried the trunnion can be "sanitized" (milled clean of numbers and marks) and new numbers stamped in place of the old ones.
My kit had just numbers, so I had Matt use those on my receiver so everything matches.

p220nut 11-22-2012 4:49 PM

I recently acquired a mak-90 parts kit and my trunion is also stampted MAK-90.
we can "sanitize the MAK-90 " and be in compliance?
kit is an all numbers matching unit.

thanks

p220nut

tujungatoes 11-22-2012 5:21 PM

It doesn't matter what is stamped on the trunnion. The markings on the receiver are all that matters.

hawaii five-0 11-23-2012 5:43 AM

While it's true that you might win your court case,it's also true that you would probably end up in court if a LEO ran a check on your rifle and the trunion was marked MAK-90.He will use the information that is in black and white,and not accept your story of a home made gun.Remember,not all AK's have serial #'s on the flat.My Saiga's are on the trunion only.For this reason,If I were going to scrub a trunion,I would make sure it looked good.You wouldn't want a LEO to be confused into thinking that you were removing a legit serial #.

SJgunguy24 11-23-2012 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawaii five-0 (Post 9775717)
While it's true that you might win your court case,it's also true that you would probably end up in court if a LEO ran a check on your rifle and the trunion was marked MAK-90.He will use the information that is in black and white,and not accept your story of a home made gun.Remember,not all AK's have serial #'s on the flat.My Saiga's are on the trunion only.For this reason,If I were going to scrub a trunion,I would make sure it looked good.You wouldn't want a LEO to be confused into thinking that you were removing a legit serial #.

Once a gun is demilled that number has no meaning. Imported AK's generally don't have serial numbers on anything but the trunnion. If he rebuilds that on an off list receiver, the number on the receiver is the serial number is. Most of the East German AK kits are sanitized, the I.O. AK's have sanitized trunnions.