Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Ladies Forum (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Proud of Myself (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=645815)

tlcwrites 11-18-2012 7:07 PM

Proud of Myself

1 Attachment(s)
In between all the posts from guys asking what guns to buy the women in their lives and such, I wanted to jump in and shamelessly sing my own praises for a minute. Hope nobody minds.

I took my XD9 to the range yesterday, my second time shooting it. A guy friend of mine went with me, and we had a lovely morning -- breakfast, shooting, then coffee and Hoppe's #9. Hard to beat that, despite it being a gloomy, rainy, muddy day. As you can see, I'm definitely getting used to the XD's sights now, and I'm very pleased with my performance. The bottom target in this photo was shot at 15 yards, and I'm quite content with how I did:

Attachment 180093

The other reason I'm proud of myself is reflected in the line of holes on the top target. My shooting friend, who is definitely not one of the "women can't handle anything but a .25" crowd, decided he wanted to try my XD. "And, I have something fun you might like to try," he said. "It's a bit of a challenge, but I think you can do it."

Whereupon he unzipped his gun case and withdrew an enormous .44 magnum revolver with an 8-inch barrel. I look a deep breath, aimed, fired. Muttered expletives under my breath and did it again. And again. The final tally? Six of six shots on the paper at 15 yards, and four of six inside the 8 ring. I wouldn't want to shoot that thing every day, but I think I comported myself well.

Just goes to show, there's really no gun that's "too big for a woman to shoot", IMO. We just don't have the luxury of using raw muscle power to compensate for bad technique like guys can sometimes do.

Tammy

bruceflinch 11-18-2012 7:10 PM

Nice!

Baconator 11-18-2012 7:12 PM

Should have posed for pictures next to the target!

Just kidding, nice shootin!

sealocan 11-18-2012 8:41 PM

nice shooting and I like the sound of
" A lovely morning ...
of shooting" .

BonnieB 11-19-2012 1:08 AM

Yayyy Tammy! No probs with brags here in the Women's Forum.

Actually, when backed up by scores or targets, there's no bragging to it. Just facts.

Well done, I'm glad you had a lovely day and a reason to hold your head high.

Ninety 11-19-2012 1:27 AM

Girls and Guns <3

Wish you lived closer... trying to get my wife into this whole thing... I believe she may be getting a little jealous of CalGuns... as I spend a whole lot of time learning on here... I have been shopping for a gun for her but I really need to get her out to shoot... XD feels great..and are a lot cheaper then the sigs i've been looking at.. also been looking at FMK .. need to find some women in OC to convince her.

guns and coffee ... i like that.:D

savannah 11-19-2012 8:50 AM

Well done Tammy. I shoot a lot with my newer Glock and love trap shooting with my new beloved Beretta. My husband has never been happier now that we have purchased some firearms to take out and shoot. I send all of my practice target pictures to a friend of mine in Idaho. He always gives me the thumbs up!

Good for you!!!!! Enjoy!

tlcwrites 11-19-2012 12:54 PM

Thanks for the cheers, all. I'm definitely feeling good about progress. The real test will come in two weeks - my local range's monthly IDPA match is on 12/1, and for the first time I'll be shooting with my own gear. (Previously, I used a borrowed Glock 34) We'll see how I do. Hoping to squeeze in one more range trip between now and then to run some targets at longer distances, since the Match Director for our IDPA club likes those 35-yard steel shots an awful lot...

Savannah, I've never tried skeet shooting, but it looks like a heck of a lot of fun.

Lone_Wolfe 11-27-2012 8:03 AM

Note to self; Don't piss tclwrites off! :eek::p