Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Ride along: What to expect? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=645097)

SacTown 11-16-2012 6:08 PM

Ride along: What to expect?

I'm going for a ride along with a CHP officer later tonight. It's during graveyard and I was just curious what I should expect. It's raining pretty good right now so hopefully that won't be a downer.

FlyByWire 11-16-2012 6:19 PM

Depends entirely on the office, and how long you ride. Stay for the whole shift, and you'll write some tags, probably grab a bite, then hook a deuce or two after the Officers pair up.

Eldraque 11-16-2012 6:20 PM

dont do it. its a conspiracy.

Mr310 11-16-2012 6:24 PM

Ask questions, do what the officer says, and try to soak up everything you can. It's a fantastic learning experience. I loved mine.

MIAMIbaseballer 11-16-2012 6:27 PM

I've been going on ride alongs since I was about 12. Now, I go on them with my cousin's NARC team or his buddies in patrol.... It's very hit or miss. Depends on the night. You'll either have a slow night or it will be full of action... Good luck and have fun! Listen to what the officer say.... They all have different rules.

SacTown 11-16-2012 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyByWire (Post 9737598)
Depends entirely on the office, and how long you ride. Stay for the whole shift, and you'll write some tags, probably grab a bite, then hook a deuce or two after the Officers pair up.

I'm planning on staying for the whole shift. Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eldraque (Post 9737608)
dont do it. its a conspiracy.

?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr310 (Post 9737635)
Ask questions, do what the officer says, and try to soak up everything you can. It's a fantastic learning experience. I loved mine.

Funny you say that. I'm a Sac State student and I have a project due in a couple weeks. It requires going on a ride along and asking the officer various questions so I figured I might as well do it early and go on a couple ride alongs. What agency/dept did you go with?

thomashoward 11-16-2012 6:32 PM

brief periods of excitement followed by long periods of boredom, then 1/2 price eats at Denny's

SacTown 11-16-2012 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAMIbaseballer (Post 9737653)
I've been going on ride alongs since I was about 12. Now, I go on them with my cousin's NARC team or his buddies in patrol.... It's very hit or miss. Depends on the night. You'll either have a slow night or it will be full of action... Good luck and have fun! Listen to what the officer say.... They all have different rules.

That's pretty awesome. I'm sure NARC teams are 10 times more likely to see something interesting, but you never know. I'm not expecting a whole lot and if something interesting happens then I lucked out. I'll be sure to listen closely to all his rules. Thanks.

SacTown 11-16-2012 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomashoward (Post 9737683)
brief periods of excitement followed by long periods of boredom, then 1/2 price eats at Denny's

I'll be sure to leave my house hungry. :D

Mr310 11-16-2012 6:49 PM

CHP, LASD, and LAPD.

NorCalXJ 11-16-2012 6:49 PM

Ride alongs are so much fun. Just did another a few days ago. Just be polite and ask plenty of questions. Don't expect high speed pursuits or such. Police work can be boring, however, i love it.

Lives_In_Fresno 11-16-2012 6:50 PM

You might try to get a ride along with a city cop that you know. They can always "find" things that are fun to do, and those things can make your visit quite memorable.

If you don't know one, perhaps do the same thing you did to get the CHP ride, only in the city.

moooooo 11-16-2012 7:37 PM

i have been thinking about going on a ride along i live in the inland empire are there any suggestion as to where i should go to do this

Horton Fenty 11-16-2012 7:41 PM

Well in Sac that might be interesting. Around here it would be extremely boring.

KWalkerM 11-16-2012 9:38 PM

sac should be lots more fun than my ride. literally a 4 hour Q and A session on CHP vs DFG vs PCSO vs USFS. only pulled over one person. still interesting but i will not be trying for CHP anytime soon

SeanCasey 11-16-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moooooo (Post 9738037)
i have been thinking about going on a ride along i live in the inland empire are there any suggestion as to where i should go to do this

Stop by your local city PD station and ask, or find the nearest Sheriff's station and ask them. Many cities will only do a ridealong if you either know someone, are in process, or live in the city. The Sheriff's Department tends be a bit more flexible from what I've seen.

retired 11-17-2012 12:43 AM

I'm thinking about going on a ride along with Riverside Sheriff.

Bobby Ricigliano 11-17-2012 8:12 AM

CHP ride along on EM = Expect to snag a deuce, maybe a TC. Pay attention because the Chippies are experts in those fields, which also happen to be fields that a lot of PD and SD guys don't consider their favorites.

MIAMIbaseballer 11-17-2012 6:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SacTown (Post 9737688)
That's pretty awesome. I'm sure NARC teams are 10 times more likely to see something interesting, but you never know. I'm not expecting a whole lot and if something interesting happens then I lucked out. I'll be sure to listen closely to all his rules. Thanks.

Yes the NARC team is another ball game. Much more intense serving search warrants and whatnot. You'd be surprised, patrol can get interesting really quick with high speed pursuits, robbery in progress, etc... Hope you had fun!

deadcoyote 11-19-2012 12:53 PM

When I did my pre-employment ride along the only thing that happened was the deputy had to shoot an injured deer that had been struck by a car. Then I helped him load it. Besides that it was 10 hours of driving around and running plates.

moooooo 11-19-2012 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanCasey (Post 9738986)
Stop by your local city PD station and ask, or find the nearest Sheriff's station and ask them. Many cities will only do a ridealong if you either know someone, are in process, or live in the city. The Sheriff's Department tends be a bit more flexible from what I've seen.

will do thank you