Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   How many people take advantage of Shall Issue? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=644552)

YubaRiver 11-15-2012 12:10 PM

How many people take advantage of Shall Issue?

Here is a link to WA state "CPL" by zipcode.

Wonder how this compares to other states, both shall issue and not?

http://www.kirotv.com/gun-permits/

dustoff31 11-15-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YubaRiver (Post 9728874)
Here is a link to WA state "CPL" by zipcode.

Wonder how this compares to other states, both shall issue and not?

http://www.kirotv.com/gun-permits/

Everything that I've seen seems to indicate that even in shall issue states, the norm is only about 2 - 3% of the eligible population statewide bother to obtain a CCW.

kaligaran 11-15-2012 12:21 PM

Here's a quick by state list of CCWs issued. I have not verified the sources:
http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm

Librarian 11-15-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustoff31 (Post 9728932)
Everything that I've seen seems to indicate that even in shall issue states, the norm is only about 2 - 3% of the eligible population statewide bother to obtain a CCW.

Maybe as high as 4%.

I've seen some speculation that many of the people who get LTC when it becomes easier to get are the people who have been carrying anyway; in that case there is only a slight increase in the number of carriers.

Florida says it has 977,000 'regular person' CCW as of Oct 31.

Florida has about 14.8 million residents over 18 who might be eligible; trim 10% of that for ineligibles to get 13.3 million, and we get an outside figure of (.977/13.3 =) 7.4%.

stix213 11-15-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarian (Post 9729035)
Maybe as high as 4%.

I've seen some speculation that many of the people who get LTC when it becomes easier to get are the people who have been carrying anyway; in that case there is only a slight increase in the number of carriers.

Florida says it has 977,000 'regular person' CCW as of Oct 31.

Florida has about 14.8 million residents over 18 who might be eligible; trim 10% of that for ineligibles to get 13.3 million, and we get an outside figure of (.977/13.3 =) 7.4%.

Florida though does a lot of permits for nonresidents.

Librarian 11-15-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stix213 (Post 9729043)
Florida though does a lot of permits for nonresidents.

Someone else just reminded me of that, and the State report doesn't split out non-resident licenses. I was about to make that comment, but you got here first!

paul0660 11-15-2012 12:47 PM

Even in friendly states, buying, feeding, and storing a gun is not cheap.

M. D. Van Norman 11-15-2012 1:17 PM

And some people canít be bothered to get the license. That doesnít apply just to firearms either Ö :whistling:

SilverTauron 11-15-2012 2:22 PM

In South Dakota, even though CCW permits are Shall issue after a $10 state fee maybe 2 people in ten have one. I've lived in this state for years and only met 1 guy who has one besides myself. Lots of people here own guns, but few here see the need or point in carrying one everywhere.

For all the screaming and teeth knashing about "gunfights in the street" , the reality of shall issue life is that maybe 20% of the population will go the trouble to get a permit. Up here the only requirements are $10 and a clean criminal record, and you'd think everyone and their dog would have a CCW. Funny enough that's not the case.

YubaRiver 11-15-2012 2:57 PM

It looks like in this WA state map that even the areas with the least percentage of
carry license it is 3%. Up to 17% in a few places.

Open carry, loaded, is an option for folks too.

nicoroshi 11-15-2012 3:18 PM

I would :)

not-fishing 11-15-2012 5:04 PM

It might only be 3% but 3% of California would be more than 1,000,000 people.

wolfwood 11-16-2012 1:19 AM

Of the people with permits how many actually carry most days? I have to imagine it gets pretty bothersome after while.

Lugiahua 11-16-2012 1:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfwood (Post 9733619)
Of the people with permits how many actually carry most days? I have to imagine it gets pretty bothersome after while.

No, it became a habit after awhile, just like carrying your car keys or wallet every morning.

Currently, CA has less than 0.1% population with permit, so even 1% is a significant improvement.

mag360 11-16-2012 1:53 AM

Sacramento is adding a good amount every year but at the slow rate its going it will take ~10 years to hit 2% of the population

otteray 11-16-2012 7:18 AM

Quote:

ďBetter to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.Ē

Marcovich 11-16-2012 7:35 AM

One if the first things I did when I was living out of state was get my CCW. Soon as I get back out of CA I plan on getting it again, feel naked without...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Nick Justice 11-16-2012 8:22 AM

Whatever the percentage is, it' not enough.

kaligaran 11-16-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Not bothersome, but most can't carry into their place of employement (company policy) so you have to leave it in the vehicle at work. That's bothersome.

G60 11-16-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

About half carry regularly.

Dakine_surf 11-16-2012 3:17 PM

Dang makes me sad... I just looked at the neighborhood where I lived in Seattle for about 4 years... 738 permits... 2%... not that 2% is amazing, but I would love to have 2% where I live now because that would mean that they actually issue them. I should move back :/

Damn True 11-16-2012 4:27 PM

If the tide turned here I'd be camped out in front of Sheriff Laurie Smith's office like an Apple geek waiting for a new iPhone.

I doubt it ever will though.

Connor P Price 11-16-2012 4:48 PM

Having spoken quite candidly with a number of coworkers and recent acquaintances, it seems that there are a lot who "Haven't gotten around to it yet." Those people probably never will without some urging.

Depending on political make up, shall issue states seem to see anywhere from 2% to 5% actually getting permits. Understandably Florida and Utah are a bit high as they are the standard non resident states. I anticipate we'll migrate closer to that 5% number as the years progress and people become more familiar.

anthonyca 11-16-2012 5:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connor P Price (Post 9737422)
Having spoken quite candidly with a number of coworkers and recent acquaintances, it seems that there are a lot who "Haven't gotten around to it yet." Those people probably never will without some urging.

Depending on political make up, shall issue states seem to see anywhere from 2% to 5% actually getting permits. Understandably Florida and Utah are a bit high as they are the standard non resident states. I anticipate we'll migrate closer to that 5% number as the years progress and people become more familiar.

When my brother lived in Colorado, almost none of his friends had a LTC. Almost all of his friends owned at least one gun, some had many more than my brother had.

My brother said it was so easy to get his LTC that is was painless. Still many gun owners asked why he would want one.

greg36f 11-16-2012 5:45 PM

I've had one for 20 year and I carry about 20 % of the time. It can be a real PITA, always worrying about printing. In the summer when clothes get lighter, it's worse. This is a great reminder that though we here think these issues are so important, most people don't really care that much

SilverTauron 11-16-2012 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chainsaw (Post 9735888)
You also have to remember that even among gun owners and shooters, there is a significant fraction of people who don't believe that carrying a gun while engaged in normal (professional, suburban or residential) activities is a good idea. (snip)

Agreed. It reinforces the Jeff Cooper axiom that a gun doesn't make its owner a gunfighter any more than owning a guitar makes one a musician. Mindset is the real weapon at hand , not the firearm. In order to go through the steps to acquire a CCW permit its owner has to acknowledge that crime is an equal opportunity, 24/7 365 day a year business. A majority of our neighbors think violent crime is a faraway problem that will never happen to them. Why carry a gun if there's no threat ? (/sarcasm)

M. D. Van Norman 11-16-2012 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg36f (Post 9737756)
It can be a real PITA, always worrying about printing.Ö

I still donít understand why those with get-out-of-jail-free cards are so obsessively concerned about printing.

gunsmith 11-16-2012 7:45 PM

I know quite a few folks that claim to be pro gun, claim to be NRA members but for some reason or another don't get the LTC.

Only one guy that is a gun nut friend of mine refuses to get the permission slip.

hoffmang 11-16-2012 7:53 PM

In the 43 states that are basically shall issue there are about 16 million LTCs. Those 7 other states and DC are 30% of the total population that haven't been able to get them.

We should get to nearly 23 million LTCs in the 5 years after we win carry in SCOTUS which is about 7.5% of the population.

-Gene

jimsu 11-16-2012 7:54 PM

I just moved down from Wa and my zip code had 17%. I would suspect that 33
To 50% carried all of the time when their employer didn't stop them.

marklbucla 11-16-2012 9:29 PM

The other issue is that people who live in Free states and have fewer restrictions would probably feel less of a need to CCW.

I've had permits for the last 7 years and only carried maybe 5 times just for the heck of it.

When I had an Orange County CA CCW, I carried every time I went out at night. LA/OC is like Somalia compared to other places I've lived.

socalbowhunter 11-16-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmang (Post 9738409)
In the 43 states that are basically shall issue there are about 16 million LTCs. Those 7 other states and DC are 30% of the total population that haven't been able to get them.

We should get to nearly 23 million LTCs in the 5 years after we win carry in SCOTUS which is about 7.5% of the population.

-Gene

:rofl2:

Oh, you were serious.

Rossi357 11-17-2012 9:00 AM

Quote:

For myself....I had a permit for 3 years when I lived in Del Norte County. I NEVER left the house without it. It became so routine that I sometimes forgot to take it off when I returned home.
I was restricted from carrying in the court house and where alcohol was served. Being a non drinker, it was never a problem.

kauaibuilt 11-17-2012 9:05 AM

I had my WA permit that was valid until 2011 - love that 5 years for $60 thing. And if you show your mil ID @ Tacoma PD they laminate it for free. I cant remember if they printed it on the spot or mailed it to me later though.

Right now I have my AZ and am awaiting my FL.... I take advantage of it every chance I get!

greg36f 11-17-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M. D. Van Norman (Post 9738287)
I still donít understand why those with get-out-of-jail-free cards are so obsessively concerned about printing.

Well, it's the same reason that I don't wear tight pants, the staring just gets sooooooo old......:o

Meplat1 11-17-2012 4:33 PM

Quote:

That is why you have a small easy carrying backup that you carry ALL the time. I sometimes leave the bigger gun at home.

On numbers, this is only anecdotal, but the first tree LTC training classes I went to had one to three students. Last month there were sixty four. In a now essentially shall issue county. Progress.
:D

Meplat1 11-17-2012 4:49 PM

Quote:

It pisses off the sheriff. Some jurisdictions will pull your permit for it. I think it has more to do with waisted time on MWG calls than any thing else.

RobG 11-17-2012 5:36 PM

If Kalifornia is forced to issue, the bigger problem that never gets discussed is how counties like LA will handle the influx of applicants. LA county has approx 10 million people. Imagine if 2% of them apply; it will be years before they can get to everyone. Sacramento is much, much smaller and their back log is nearly a year.

thomashoward 11-17-2012 5:47 PM

Quote:

I still don’t understand why those with get-out-of-jail-free cards are so obsessively concerned about printing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meplat1 (Post 9743025)
It pisses off the sheriff. Some jurisdictions will pull your permit for it. I think it has more to do with wasted time on MWG calls than any thing else.

Concealed means concealed.
My wife doesn't know when I carry. I don't want you to know either.

fizux 11-17-2012 9:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomashoward (Post 9743306)
Concealed means concealed.
My wife doesn't know when I carry. I don't want you to know either.

Mine only knows (and cares) because it determines who is driving back from dinner.