Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing & How To (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Need help on first AK 74 build (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=643806)

Russ Florian 11-13-2012 2:50 PM

Need help on first AK 74 build

I'm a guy who always buys American products and could care less about the rest. Then on Nov. 5 while my son was getting himself an M&P Sport 5.56, I saw an AK next to it and asked to check it out. It was like a light switch got turned on. I haven't been able to stop looking into this rifle ever since. I want this firearm for family/home defense and I want to have fun shooting targets out in the field. I'm intrigued by the caliber and history of the 74 and that's what I've chosen to build. I have a list of the parts I'll need and am going to purchase them to get started. I've been told NOT to try to build it by myself and was hoping to get with knowledgeable people in Orange Co. or close to it. Any help would be much appreciated. THANKS!

update

Thanks NorCalK9.com and cal-guns others. He told me about AK-Builders.com. They have everything so far. See this list;
1- Bulgarian AK-74 5.45x39 wood parts kit with US Barrel............................................ ....................................329.00
1- Bulgarian side folder AKSU5.45 Flat.....................................(is this right?)........................................... .........37.50
1- AK Center Support for 1mm Receiver.......................................... .................................................. ...............7.00
1- Tapco G2 Single Hook Trigger........................................... .................................................. ......................29.95
1- AK-Builder AK Rivet set............................................... .................................................. ............................9.00
1- Red Star Arms FCG Pin Retaining Plate............................................. .................................................. ..........4.95
1- Intrafuse AK Hand Guard with Quad Rail- Black............................................. ...............................................41. 24
1- Hogue AK-74 Rubber Pistol Grip with Finger Grooves - Black............................................. ..............................21.95
1- Arsenal Inc. NATO extended length Butt Stock - Black............................................. .....................................44.99
1- Used Surplus AK Pistol Grip Nut............................................(do I need it?).............................................. .....2.95
1- California Leagal Compliant AK Button............................................ .................................................. ............8.99<--AMAZON
1- Model 47 Steel Side Dovetail Plate.................................................. .................................................. ..........8.95
1-5th Gen Quick Detachable Double-Rail AK Side Mount 30.73

Done Deal!........................................Dose the list look right? Again, Thanks.

mrlonewolf 11-13-2012 2:58 PM

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=629685

:D

atsaubrey 11-13-2012 3:06 PM

looks good to go if you have a US barrel or a US magazine to meet 922r. Is the barrel already populated and headdspaced?

gesundheit 11-13-2012 4:36 PM

Get the single hook G2 and go to the AK team's BP

Russ Florian 11-13-2012 8:24 PM

Thank you for tip gesundheit

Russ Florian 11-13-2012 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsaubrey (Post 9716880)
looks good to go if you have a US barrel or a US magazine to meet 922r. Is the barrel already populated and headdspaced?

Thank you for the heads up response. The kit says it is and double checked --- also 3 points toward 922r

Russ Florian 11-13-2012 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrlonewolf (Post 9716818)

I better get my parts quick. Thank you........................not quick enough :-(

S470FM 11-13-2012 11:33 PM

I would advise against using. poly folding stock since you can't fold it if OAL is under 30". get an unissued Bulgy kit for $200 instead

TATER313 11-14-2012 5:20 AM

You can make the stock fixed and reversible. You may look at the side folder flat for that AK parts kit.

Russ Florian 11-14-2012 8:07 AM

got it

meaty-btz 11-14-2012 8:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Florian (Post 9720880)
Who has that unissued Bulgy kit for 200. ?

That would be desert fox. I am waiting on mine.. I already ordered another kit but when that one came up I took money from other places and grabbed one!

Russ Florian 11-16-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TATER313 (Post 9720340)
You can make the stock fixed and reversible. You may look at the side folder flat for that AK parts kit.

Good tip, I will.

nicoroshi 11-16-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Florian (Post 9735751)
Good tip, I will. I just need the best bullet button choice now.

That's kind of a personal preference thing.

I like this design

Russ Florian 11-16-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoroshi (Post 9735796)
That's kind of a personal preference thing.

I like this design

$8.99, I LIKE IT A LOT! Great savings ,thanks

antix2 11-16-2012 12:36 PM

^ What nicoroshi said.

From the list up top it doesn't like you've made up your mind on the stock.
The rear trunnion (and flat) needs to match what ever stock you want.
If you do a folder (fixed open) you might also want to have the front trunnion latch to match.
You might also want to consider a side rail for mounting optics.

Varg Vikernes 11-16-2012 3:05 PM

Ya, if you are ever gonna put a side rail on it for optics, putting it on while building it will be much better than after everything is done.

Russ Florian 11-17-2012 7:34 PM

I'm real green with AK's and even more green on what's permited to own here in CA, so I think we cant have a folding stock? I need whatever it takes to have a fixed stock I guess. I'm 6' so maybe a longer stock would fit better. Any help with a recommendation on the parts I need would be great. Thanks

nicoroshi 11-17-2012 7:46 PM

Oh, you can have a folding stock.
Just need a bullet button to be in compliance with SB23, and needs to be >30" long in it's shortest configuration in which it can be fired per CA's understanding of Federal law.

For instance:
This Tantal with Aimsmall's extended brake is 30 1/4" long when folded, and is equipped with a bullet button making it a fixed magazine rifle.
CA Legal :)
http://imageshack.us/a/img407/7977/img0920y.jpg

You can also fix a folder in the open position to meet the >30" OAL requirement like this Yugo
http://imageshack.us/a/img338/4948/img1159hs.jpg

For comfort though I prefer the solid stock.
Between available solid stocks there are 2 basic lengths.
Warsaw, and NATO.
The NATO being slightly longer.
I am just shy of 6' tall but still prefer the shorter Warsaw length stocks.
I have tried the NATO length and found it more difficult to keep on target in a standing position due to the weight of the rifle being further from my body.
YMMV.
Suggest trying both to see which you like.

Russ Florian 11-19-2012 1:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoroshi (Post 9743858)
Oh, you can have a folding stock.
Just need a bullet button to be in compliance with SB23, and needs to be >30" long in it's shortest configuration in which it can be fired per CA's understanding of Federal law.

For instance:
This Tantal with Aimsmall's extended brake is 30 1/4" long when folded, and is equipped with a bullet button making it a fixed magazine rifle.
CA Legal :)
http://imageshack.us/a/img407/7977/img0920y.jpg

You can also fix a folder in the open position to meet the >30" OAL requirement like this Yugo
http://imageshack.us/a/img338/4948/img1159hs.jpg

For comfort though I prefer the solid stock.
Between available solid stocks there are 2 basic lengths.
Warsaw, and NATO.
The NATO being slightly longer.
I am just shy of 6' tall but still prefer the shorter Warsaw length stocks.
I have tried the NATO length and found it more difficult to keep on target in a standing position due to the weight of the rifle being further from my body.
YMMV.
Suggest trying both to see which you like.

Thank you Necoroshi, This is very useful information.
Your AK's look very nice. The red finish is rich. Real nice.
Did you finish your AKs or have them done?
I would like to achieve the finish Waffen Werks gives their AKs
I'm wanting Black poly and will have to size up the two regular stocks to see which fits me. Folding and being able to lock it folded would be excellent.