-   Ammo and Reloading (
-   -   Shipping Small Arms Ammunition via UPS (

wild_weasel 11-12-2012 3:03 PM

Shipping Small Arms Ammunition via UPS
I travel a lot for work and enjoy browsing the local gun and sporting goods stores during my free time. The Dick’s Sporting Goods here in Hampton, VA was having an ammo sale so I bought x4 American Eagle Value Packs of 223. To avoid any issues putting it in checked airline baggage I boxed it up and took it to a UPS Customer Service Center for shipping. $18.00 Ground to my door in the OC, the only thing special I had to do was add an ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition label to the side of the box and I was good, no additional fees. While there I asked if any changes to shipping requirements, for ammunition, were pending and the UPS representative said no. Hope others find this blurb useful.

shooterbill 11-12-2012 6:24 PM

The ammo would have been fine in your checked bag. As long as you were under weight. If you have any questions about it call your airline.

stevec223 11-12-2012 10:07 PM

good info.....also need to take to ups hub stores usually cant or wont take ormd packages....closest hub to me is san ramon and kind of a pain to get to....workers friendly though....cheers...

Colt562 11-12-2012 10:28 PM

thanks for the info

MIAMIbaseballer 11-13-2012 2:58 AM

Could of saved yourself the money and just put it in your checked bags.... The ammo isn't "on sale" after you add the shipping cost.

sd_shooter 11-13-2012 4:43 AM

Shipping via UPS seems to cost a lot more for us individuals compared to what the commercial rates are. The best deal is still to find an online store with free shipping or low fixed shipping (eg. $5.) For example I sold 1k 45ACP rounds to someone and shipping was $35, weight was over 50 lbs. I would never pay that when buying online.

Thanks for the info anyway OP, many people probably haven't tried shipping ammo before and it's a useful option.

wild_weasel 11-13-2012 9:31 AM

Like I said I did it to avoid being hastled by the airlines at the last minute, but shipping via UPS word.

Cowboy T 11-13-2012 10:12 AM

I have no idea why the Post Office doesn't allow for ORM-D packages...unless it's because of their general--and historical--anti-gun bias....

paul0660 11-13-2012 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy T (Post 9715198)
I have no idea why the Post Office doesn't allow for ORM-D packages...unless it's because of their general--and historical--anti-gun bias....

I don't either. It seems a business well past the edge of bankruptcy might look for some new bizness.

Generally, airlines will take declared ammo in original packaging or something designed to hold ammo, up to 11 pounds. (sounds like a metric thing to me). I have flown with ammo a few times, and think the 11 pound limit is sort of discretionary.

CamW 11-13-2012 4:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a sheet of ORM-D labels ,cut them out and tape them to you package.