Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Springfield XDS (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=643058)

drewXD/G23 11-11-2012 7:15 PM

Springfield XDS
 
Dose any have any experience shooting the new XDS? Feed back?

RedVines 01-07-2013 8:14 PM

its a good off duty carry piece. shoots remarkably well for a small framed polymer pistol, even in 45. nice smooth trigger. very controllable. very positive grip serrations. i carried one before i got my m&p shield. i personally prefer the shield: 7+1 9mm is better than 5+1 45cal in my book.

retired 01-08-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rat110984 (Post 10141799)
its a good off duty carry piece. shoots remarkably well for a small framed polymer pistol, even in 45. nice smooth trigger. very controllable. very positive grip serrations. i carried one before i got my m&p shield. i personally prefer the shield: 7+1 9mm is better than 5+1 45cal in my book.

Isn't the 7+1 only if you get the optional mag extender since the S&W site says capacity is 7 and 8 in 9mm. Does getting the mag extender or whatever you want to call it, make it less concealable.

I ask, because I intended to buy the Shield after doing some research on it and then my American Rifleman mag arrived and the SA XD-s is on the front cover. There is a detailed story inside on it. So, now I am not sure which one. I know whichever one I buy, I would like to put TruGlo TFO sights on it. I have had them on my XDSC 9mm for over 8yrs. and they look as bright as when I bought them. Fiber Optic during the day and Tritium at night sure work for my old eyes.:)

I do know that even tho I like my XD and have carried it for over 8yrs. as my ccw since retiring from le, I don't like the bulkiness of the grip. Since I carry an extra mag, I am willing to sacrifice the 21 rounds for better concealability and comfort. I will also carry an extra mag with whatever smaller single stack I buy.

Sacmedic 01-08-2013 12:31 AM

I am an XD guy too. I hear what Retired is saying about the bulkiness of the grip, especially for concealed work. I have dabbled with the M&P and got the compact version. I also previously used a P239 off duty. Although the XD grip is large it does fit the hand well. Better than my P239 ever did. I guess what you carry off duty or concealed really depends on that perfect combination of what feels right and what conceals well on your body.

iguy 01-08-2013 8:22 PM

The XDS shoots GREAT and carries GREAT- concealed. It replaced my Kahr PM9and Glock 27 as my EDC.

gemoose23 01-08-2013 8:54 PM

Love the XDs. It is my EDC in an IWB holster. There are of trigger and sight upgrades if you so desire.

Shoots great for me plus it eats my 45acp reloading recipes formy 1911.

skyscraper 01-09-2013 7:33 AM

I have one and its awesome. Surprisingly very accurate for such a short barrel. I have at least 300 rounds through mine without any issues. Ive only had it for about 3 months though.

It really needs nightsights though. Im currently looking to get some installed.

I turned my buddy on to this gun and he bought one as a backup piece to carry in his vest.

drewXD/G23 01-09-2013 9:09 AM

Quote:

skyscraper
I have one and its awesome. Surprisingly very accurate for such a short barrel. I have at least 300 rounds through mine without any issues. Ive only had it for about 3 months though.

It really needs nightsights though. Im currently looking to get some installed.

I turned my buddy on to this gun and he bought one as a backup piece to carry in his vest.
I have been speaking with Springfield Armory about offering trijicon NS and they are in the R/D phases trying to make it happen

skyscraper 01-09-2013 9:43 AM

There is a guy in the XD forums that you can send your slide to and he will install them. From what I understand, you need someone experienced to install them because there are night sights that will fit, but they have to be installed carefully and not forced on. But thanks for the info. If Springfield is in development I will likely just wait so I can have them done in town.

retired 01-09-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 10156296)
There is a guy in the XD forums that you can send your slide to and he will install them. From what I understand, you need someone experienced to install them because there are night sights that will fit, but they have to be installed carefully and not forced on. But thanks for the info. If Springfield is in development I will likely just wait so I can have them done in town.

If you are referring to James, I can vouch for him. I joined http://xd.talk.com in 2004 and tho I very seldom go there anymore, James has been there for a long time and he runs an excellent business. I had nothing but good experiences with him.

skyscraper 01-09-2013 5:01 PM

Yes sir that's the guy. I hear he has a really fast turnaround rate.

RedVines 01-09-2013 6:29 PM

@retired
The XDs carries completely different from the other XD pistols. My very first off duty piece was an xd subcompact in 40 and I agree, it is way too bulky. The XDs and the shield both have very similar dimensions with the short mags in. The XDs short mag is 5 rounds and the long mag is 7 rounds. The XDs extended mags add significant dimension and makes it blockier and harder to conceal. I guess you can carry 5+1 and a 7 round mag for 13 rounds of 45. Alternatively you can carry 7+1 in a shield and a 8 round mag for 16 rounds of 9mm. I have both in crossbreed supertucks and they both carry just as easily. The XDs has a nice aggressive grip also. If you're an XD guy you will love carrying the XDs, but you have a chance at a shield get it also. Bottom line is that both guns are excellent off duty pieces. You won't be disappointed.

RedVines 01-09-2013 6:32 PM

Oh just to clarify, the shield comes with a short 7 round flush fit mag and an extended 8 round mag. the shield with a 7 round mag has similar dimensions as the XDs with the 5 round flush fit mag in.

vicb 01-09-2013 8:05 PM

I go back and forth between my G19 and my XDs...but after shooting my XDs this past weekend, I will be using my XDs. It is unbelievebly accurate, in fact, I am more accurate with my XDs vs my Glock 19.

retired 01-09-2013 8:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. My problem is the gun is not on the roster and being retired, I am subject to the same laws as other non leos. Pro Force in Brea said it will be on it eventually, but someone told me that can't happen since it doesn't have the required features (round in the chamber indicator, etc.).

I need to give SA a call.

IA300 01-10-2013 12:59 PM

Just to chew on...I was looking for a good off duty piece and narrowed it down to the XDS and Shield. I shot both, from other guys in my agency, both shot very well and I liked the way the XD felt for the 3 mags I put through it.
That being said, my partner said he had had numerous failure to fires with his .45 XDS. What he noticed is, on occasion, the slide will not go fully back in to battery, causing a light primer strike or no strike. He guessed about every third to fourth magazine, at least one. He has since called and sent it back to Springfield and they tell him it is a grip issue, not a gun issue. It will subside with time...
My partner has since sold his XDS, as they will not do anything about it and purchased another subcompact.
Personally, off duty or backups need to go "Boom" EVERY time the trigger is pulled, regardless of how many rounds you have put through it. Have not heard of the same problem in other caliber XDS's though.

retired 01-11-2013 11:55 AM

That said^, I'm out of luck in buying the XDs. Just got off the phone with SA and was told it will not be submitted for the roster because it does not have the magazine disconnect and they have no intention of changing it.

I also found out that TRU GLO does not make a sight for the Shield as of yet and don't know when they will, whereas the one on my XDSC will fit the XDs, which I can't buy. Arggh.

Since I can't buy the XDs, does anyone know of sights similar to the TRU GLO TFOs (fiber optic for day use and tritium for night all in one). If there are any, I can contact those companies and see if they make one for the Shield. Thanks.

im2ninja4u 01-11-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retired (Post 10179925)
That said^, I'm out of luck in buying the XDs. Just got off the phone with SA and was told it will not be submitted for the roster because it does not have the magazine disconnect and they have no intention of changing it.

I also found out that TRU GLO does not make a sight for the Shield as of yet and don't know when they will, whereas the one on my XDSC will fit the XDs, which I can't buy. Arggh.

Since I can't buy the XDs, does anyone know of sights similar to the TRU GLO TFOs (fiber optic for day use and tritium for night all in one). If there are any, I can contact those companies and see if they make one for the Shield. Thanks.

Every thought about SSE the XDs? I don't know if EBR Works still has any in stock but I SSE'd one through him a few weeks ago. I'm picking it up tomorrow afternoon.

Jaybird 01-11-2013 1:06 PM

XDs
 
You're not completely out of luck. You can always get one here in CA. Through a SSE or PPT. I picked one up right here on Calguns from a member. It is one bad little gun. Hard to believe it shoots .45 ACP and shoots it oh so well. The grip felt a little weird being so slim in my hand but I got used to it. Sold it to another Calgunner recently and now I miss it. Never had any issues with mine. Super fun gun to shoot. Hope to get one again this year.

gemoose23 01-11-2013 1:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IA300 (Post 10169560)
Personally, off duty or backups need to go "Boom" EVERY time the trigger is pulled, regardless of how many rounds you have put through it. Have not heard of the same problem in other caliber XDS's though.

There are no other XDs calibers yet released.

Your friend's XDs issue is the familiar XDs user-error that is spoken about in XD forums, don't ride the slide and no limp wristing. The XDs is a small, thin gun chambered in .45 ACP with recoil springs that make you want say :censored:.

Luckily in CA, XDs sell way over MSRP so no loss for your buddy.

yardsale 01-11-2013 2:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewXD/G23 (Post 9704905)
Dose any have any experience shooting the new XDS? Feed back?

Yes. I played with one at the range the other day. Very nice design, not very wide at all. I thought it was way too "snappy" when shooting it. Accurate though. With the extended magazine the grip was very long, without it the grip was too short. The grip was very grippy, too much so. It left impressions in my hands and I don't have soft, weak hands. It would make a good close quarters defensive weapon. It is a nice pistol but I would not buy one.

I think a Smith and Wesson .357 640 with a two inch barrell would be a better choice for close quarter defensive carry. The revolver does not have a moving slide to snag on clothing, or an exposed hammer and can be fired from a pocket. Plus if the revolver misfires, just pull the trigger again.

pitbuljake 01-12-2013 6:39 AM

I bought a Springfield XD Sub-compact 9mm last year for my EDC. While waiting out the 10 days to pick it up I decided to switch to the XD40 Sub-Compact instead. Of course I had to wait another 10 days but it was well worth it to me. I installed Talon grips and Pierce Pinkie grip extensions on all my mags. I have shot approx 600 rounds using UMC 40 cal from Walmart and have never experienced any issues.

I carry in a Galco Kingtuck IWB holster all day while traveling throughout California and for me it conceals well. Once the holster was broken in I have to say it feels comfortable even while driving for hours.

Some say the 40 Cal Sub-compact is too snappy, I guess it is just preference :17:

retired 01-12-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybird (Post 10180552)
You're not completely out of luck. You can always get one here in CA. Through a SSE or PPT. I picked one up right here on Calguns from a member. It is one bad little gun. Hard to believe it shoots .45 ACP and shoots it oh so well. The grip felt a little weird being so slim in my hand but I got used to it. Sold it to another Calgunner recently and now I miss it. Never had any issues with mine. Super fun gun to shoot. Hope to get one again this year.

I knew about the SSEs, but the two stores that sell exclusively to first responders, both active and retired do not do that. They charge a much lower price for the gun than "regular" gun stores. Add the price of the SSE and I sure the price will be substantial.

Thanks for all of the info tho. I think I'll go with the S&W Shield 9mm. I can get it for $323 at one of those two stores I mentioned and at a non responder store it is $404. Now I just have to find the sights I mentioned earlier.

skyscraper 01-12-2013 8:12 PM

Rumor has it that the 9mm and .40 cal models might debut at shot show this year

skyscraper 01-15-2013 4:14 PM

9mm debut today at shot show
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/spri...nge-shot-2013/


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.