Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   REPORT of 58 Counties and their positions on OLL legality! UPDATED: 9/3/07 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=64245)

xenophobe 07-24-2007 8:49 AM

REPORT of 58 Counties and their positions on OLL legality! UPDATED: 9/3/07
 
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD UNLESS YOU HAVE LEGITIMATE INFORMATION ABOUT COUNTY OFF-LIST ACTIVITY AND ACCEPTANCE.

The "discussion thread" for this post is here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?p=646184


10 counties reporting in, 48 left to go.

58 Counties, 58 DAs... and the list of where they fall in the Off List situation:

Disclaimer: Do not take this list literally. Just because one county may have seen cases and dropped them, or another appear to have Off-List informed LEO/SO does not mean that one cannot be arrested and face prosecution.

SAFE TERRITORY

Confirmed Off-List Acceptance:
San Joaquin County article

Apparent lack of interest in OLL legality/OLL acceptance:
Kern County - Individual sheriffs aware of legality
Sacramento County - Traffic stops, no issues.
Lake County - Sheriff aware of legality.

OLL Acceptance/Participation by LE (not representative of DA opinion)
This does not mean you are safe in these counties.
San Diego County - SO involved in personal builds
Tuolumne County - Individual officers with builds

Charges dropped/cases dismissed:
San Bernardino - charges dropped
Santa Clara County - numerous cases/charges dropped
Orange County - numerous cases/charges dropped*
Stanislaus County - charges dropped
[/indent]
*cases still pending, but generally OLL friendly or neutral


UNKNOWN TERRITORY

Still fighting:
Los Angeles County - charges pending


Unknown position on OLL ownership/legality:
Alameda
Alpine
Amador
Butte
Calaveras
Colusa
Contra Costa
Del Norte
El Dorado
Fresno
Glenn
Humboldt
Imperial
Inyo
Kern
Kings
Lake
Lassen
Madera
Marin
Mariposa
Mendocino
Merced
Modoc
Mono
Monterey
Napa
Nevada
Placer
Plumas
Riverside
San Benito
San Francisco
San Luis Obispo
San Mateo
Santa Barbara
Santa Cruz
Shasta
Sierra
Siskiyou
Solano
Sonoma
Sutter
Tehama
Trinity
Tulare
Ventura
Yolo
Yuba
Please post County and pending/dismissed/Observed/Ignored, etc... ... do not post case names or specific info.


Please keep the discussion out of this thread and limit it to reports of OLL activity and acceptance/nonacceptance and cases.


The "discussion thread" for this post is here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?p=646184

Ten Rounder 07-24-2007 9:02 AM

I had a one hour sit down with my sheriff last year and had planned on giving him a one year update as the the locks, stocks and grips have changed since our last meeting. I will try and set another meeting in the coming weeks when my schedule changes again.

I will let you know what county it is after I get clearance with this years update (NOR-CAL).

xenophobe 07-24-2007 9:05 AM

That would be most appreciated. Thank you.

dychen 07-24-2007 4:54 PM

There was a case in El Dorado county where they got a guy for having a Vulcon pinned mag (yes the one that has a DOJ approved letter) and he took the infraction.

If this is the wrong thread please delete. Thanks

edwardm 07-24-2007 5:19 PM

I spoke to that individual a few months ago. Based on the *facts* of the case, it should not be viewed as an "OLL case". There were several other factors involved which muddied the waters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dychen (Post 688105)
There was a case in El Dorado county where they got a guy for having a Vulcon pinned mag (yes the one that has a DOJ approved letter) and he took the infraction.

If this is the wrong thread please delete. Thanks


USMC_2651_E5 07-25-2007 8:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xenophobe (Post 687463)
OLL Acceptance/Participation by LE (not representative of DA opinion)[/B][/U]
This does not mean you are safe in these counties.
[/indent]San Diego County - SO involved in personal builds
Tuolumne County - Individual officers with builds

There are several municipal LEOs in the OC with personal builds.

xenophobe 07-25-2007 8:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMC_2651_E5 (Post 688665)
There are several municipal LEOs in the OC with personal builds.

Thank you. Yes, I already have OC as accepting OLL legality.

6172crew 07-25-2007 9:34 AM

Sticky applied for now, if it gets stale I will take it off for other important issues but for now its good for a reference.

supersonic 07-25-2007 9:49 AM

I never mentioned this, and I don't know if it will help on this thread (mods-remove it or "edit" as you see fit), but regarding Sacramento County: When I went to my OLL FFL to order 2 Stag-15's, I was behind a 30-yr. Veteran Sac County Sheriff (didn't get his rank) picking 3 Stags up for his personal Kali builds. He, at the time, seemed torn between doing the fixed mag thing, or the featureless way.(there was a U-15 sitting on a desk for another customer, and the LEO seemed very interested in it, he said, if he decided to go that route). Hope this helps a bit!;)
S.S.:43:

LAK Supply 07-26-2007 7:17 PM

Stanislaus County
 
Xeno - there are quite a few LEO in Stanislaus county that own one or more OLL's, so I think Stanislaus would fall under "still fighting" and "participation by LE."

This just goes to reinforce your point that LE participation does not necessarily mean approved by DA.

xenophobe 07-26-2007 7:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAK Supply (Post 690318)
Xeno - there are quite a few LEO in Stanislaus county that own one or more OLL's, so I think Stanislaus would fall under "still fighting" and "participation by LE."

This just goes to reinforce your point that LE participation does not necessarily mean approved by DA.

Well, right now LE participation means nothing. OLL have been seized, and charges are pending. If charges get dropped, then that'll move it up another notch.


I have the top two categories there on purpose. Charges dropped reflects counties that have tried and have mostly given up. Charges filed are where there are currently cases open, and it's obvious the DA is going to try to prosecute. All of the other categories are informal.

RANGER295 07-29-2007 3:26 PM

I would not go as far as to call San Joaquin County 100% safe. When that article first came out I read it to mean that they were ok with stripped receivers and asked a friend of mine who is a deputy about it. He told me that his supervisor told him that this was referring to stripped receivers. You have to take this with a grain of salt, but still think it is slightly uncertain.

PS. If this post is clutter or not productive, please delete it.

caduckgunner 07-29-2007 3:38 PM

Here is a link to a seizure in San Bernardino County. I couldn't find an outcome in the thread. Also not sure why it was sized, poster stated he was shooting a rifle in a shotgun only area.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...light=adelanto

gonzo 07-30-2007 8:58 PM

Hello,

Well months have passed and all I can say is that the SB county Victorville DA did not pursue AW charges I cannot say the local PD are friendly as I never got my rifle back. I paid $500.00 to the court $2,500.00 in Attorneys fees for my 12031 (a) (1) charge and lost my firearms (2 of them) but not my right to own firearms nor where any AW charges ever filed against me.

I ended up getting charged for carry loaded firearm in public place PC M12031(A)(1) which I did have and is the reason why I never asked for help either.
I could have probably gotten my rifle back if I kept fighting and pouring money and time in but at this point my time with family and career is more valueble than a rifle (I did get another as another member suggested and it shoots great) A very expensive lesson was learned by me never shoot anywhere you are unfamiliar with or unlawfull in any way shape or form.

I admire and wish the best too all those who have the courage and means to fight the good fight.

Tyler 08-04-2007 4:38 PM

My father in law is the sheriff of Lake County. He knows I have OLL and knows they are legal. I take them to his house when ever my wife and I go up there to visit. So that county is good to go as far as OLL are concerned. He loves my AK builds too :D

sen24 08-06-2007 12:34 PM

Anyone know the details of the case in Los Angeles county?

Charliegone 08-06-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzo (Post 694181)
Hello,

Well months have passed and all I can say is that the SB county Victorville DA did not pursue AW charges I cannot say the local PD are friendly as I never got my rifle back. I paid $500.00 to the court $2,500.00 in Attorneys fees for my 12031 (a) (1) charge and lost my firearms (2 of them) but not my right to own firearms nor where any AW charges ever filed against me.

I ended up getting charged for carry loaded firearm in public place PC M12031(A)(1) which I did have and is the reason why I never asked for help either.
I could have probably gotten my rifle back if I kept fighting and pouring money and time in but at this point my time with family and career is more valueble than a rifle (I did get another as another member suggested and it shoots great) A very expensive lesson was learned by me never shoot anywhere you are unfamiliar with or unlawfull in any way shape or form.

I admire and wish the best too all those who have the courage and means to fight the good fight.

Hey gonzo,
Glad every thing worked out for you except for those fees:mad:, but at least you weren't charged with a more serious offense. Keep shooting bud.

6172crew 08-13-2007 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler (Post 699949)
My father in law is the sheriff of Lake County. He knows I have OLL and knows they are legal. I take them to his house when ever my wife and I go up there to visit. So that county is good to go as far as OLL are concerned. He loves my AK builds too :D

Zeno, maybe Lake can be updated.:)

CRTguns 08-13-2007 10:30 PM

Stanislaus
 
Stanislaus county has its head up my Arse! Does that count for anything regarding the status of its stance on this issue?

sigguy552 08-14-2007 3:19 PM

I have a hard time believing LEO's would be building OLL guns. All they have to do is go and get a letter from their dept and they can just buy the real deal with dealing with any of the OLL stupidity.

caduckgunner 08-14-2007 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigguy552 (Post 711274)
I have a hard time believing LEO's would be building OLL guns. All they have to do is go and get a letter from their dept and they can just buy the real deal with dealing with any of the OLL stupidity.

Not every chief is willing to sign the letter.

ljg17 08-30-2007 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigguy552 (Post 711274)
I have a hard time believing LEO's would be building OLL guns. All they have to do is go and get a letter from their dept and they can just buy the real deal with dealing with any of the OLL stupidity.

I thought that I just read somplace where they were changing the law so that LEO could purchase AW W/O letter from chief.

CRTguns 08-31-2007 10:43 AM

Stanislaus-

8/31/07 10:am

"dropped in the interst of justice"

6172crew 09-01-2007 7:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRTguns (Post 732931)
Stanislaus-

8/31/07 10:am

"dropped in the interst of justice"

Sweet leaf!:) Can you tell us more that its over?

hoffmang 09-01-2007 9:36 AM

Uhh... - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=67750

-Gene

Crazed_SS 09-03-2007 3:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigguy552 (Post 711274)
I have a hard time believing LEO's would be building OLL guns. All they have to do is go and get a letter from their dept and they can just buy the real deal with dealing with any of the OLL stupidity.

Yea.. and all you have to do is get a permit from the DOJ and you could buy the real deal.. easier said than done :)

Apparently some depts arent so willing to allow their officers to buy the "real deal" .. I was at a police store the other day and the clerk mentioned how the SD Sherriff Dept wouldnt let their deputies buy ARs, but SDPD will give their officers permissions to get them.

ARBITER 09-05-2007 3:57 PM

Leo "oll"
 
The other day I had a Chico "Butte county" LEO pick up 4 STAG stripped lower receivers. I found out he was a LEO as I was going over the AR/AK Memo from Bill wiese http://www.calguns.net/copmemo2.pdf with him when he showed me his badge. I still went over the information and gave him a copy in case he would leave the force and forget what is an assault weapon. I did ask him why he didn't go thru his department and apparently these were for his personal use. Looks like butte county may be OLL freindly. Does anyone know the significance of an FOP star on the drivers licence is for? This was on someones license from Redwood city?

Rumpled 09-05-2007 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARBITER (Post 740043)
Does anyone know the significance of an FOP star on the drivers licence is for? This was on someones license from Redwood city?

Probably hoping to get out of a ticket, same as all the license plate frames like KMA4996 or whatever (police dept radio call sign).
Maybe a family member is on the job or it's a groupie or something.

I friend of mine used to be a Lt on my city's force. He asked me once if I kept his business card with my CDL. I asked, rather naively; "Why would I do that?"
And then it sunk in. I asked what about all the victims/perps etc who end up with his card. He said he wouldn't vouch for them; but he would for me!

SchooBaka 12-07-2007 11:21 AM

A niegbor of mine, retired leo, talked with a couple people the other day.
First he talked with the DA for monterey county, and confirmed with him the legality of off list as well as bullet buttons.
Then he talked with a Santa Cruz pd officer, who was clueless on the whole issue.

hitman13 12-07-2007 7:41 PM

anyone in Shasta county have any clue on the situation up here? Also, where can i get some nice looking pamphlets to take to a sit down with the Sheriff Dept? I have nothing better to do than to pursue this and an issue with the CCW issuance policy here in Shasta County.

Thanks.

gunrun45 12-09-2007 2:47 PM

Shasta county....
Don't know for sure.
I know I've purchased several from Old West over the past 2 years...
I don't knw if its been an issue for anyone there yet.
We ARE talking about one of the easiest counties in the state to get a CCW in so I imagine that they might be receptive to any information you might have.

Gunner1 12-14-2007 7:25 PM

I think Tom Bosenko should be open minded on the whole thing. He is a good guy doing his best to run the department. I will be watching the thread to see how it turns out.

Gunrun45 are you saying old west is selling off list lowers??? That is a 180 degree turn from a few years back, they were sure we would all go jail.


Gunner

hitman13 12-17-2007 9:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner1 (Post 882863)
Gunrun45 are you saying old west is selling off list lowers??? That is a 180 degree turn from a few years back, they were sure we would all go jail.


Gunner

just got back from OW. they will transfer OLLs, as well as OL AKs

C.G. 12-28-2007 2:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchooBaka (Post 869762)
A niegbor of mine, retired leo, talked with a couple people the other day.
First he talked with the DA for monterey county, and confirmed with him the legality of off list as well as bullet buttons.
Then he talked with a Santa Cruz pd officer, who was clueless on the whole issue.

Let me reconfirm. The Monterey County DA is OK with both OLLs and bullet buttons?

SchooBaka 12-29-2007 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.G. (Post 904740)
Let me reconfirm. The Monterey County DA is OK with both OLLs and bullet buttons?

This is second hand info to me; but I have no reason to dought the source. A retired leo; I explained to him the whole oll situation a couple months back. Since then he has shown alot of interest in the subject and began investigating it on his own. I've refered him to several threads and links within this sight in hopes of getting him to register, but he calls his computer something like the digital devel, lol.

HUTCH 7.62 01-01-2008 3:16 PM

I have heard BLM in Shasta county seems to be a bit OLL unfriendly.

RW Dunn 01-02-2008 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchooBaka (Post 907465)
This is second hand info to me; but I have no reason to dought the source. A retired leo; I explained to him the whole oll situation a couple months back. Since then he has shown alot of interest in the subject and began investigating it on his own. I've refered him to several threads and links within this sight in hopes of getting him to register, but he calls his computer something like the digital devel, lol.

Sounds like we need to send the DA some Info on the subject and wait for response on it,if any

gunrun45 01-08-2008 9:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUTCH 7.62 (Post 912136)
I have heard BLM in Shasta county seems to be a bit OLL unfriendly.

Don't know BLM's take on the OLL issue in Shasta County, but I can tell you that they gave me a lot of grief when I was shooting my registered AW's at a designated range when I was a LEO:mad:

scfast 01-31-2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchooBaka (Post 869762)
A niegbor of mine, retired leo, talked with a couple people the other day.
First he talked with the DA for monterey county, and confirmed with him the legality of off list as well as bullet buttons.
Then he talked with a Santa Cruz pd officer, who was clueless on the whole issue.

Nice i feel better about going to laguna seca i am interested in any news for santa cruz county if you here anything else.......i want to Know!

SemiAutoSam 02-02-2008 8:28 AM

Xeno
Here an idea maybe we could make a MAP somewhat like how the East Coast board has done below with their state and what is allowed and what is not etc.

Ours would be Red and Green or some other kind of color scheme that would easily denote a inteligent county opposed to a ignorant county.

Here is their map.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...ead.php?t=8703

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...mass_towns.jpg


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.