Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Ammo and Reloading (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Small Pistol Primers? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=642292)

Branden967 11-09-2012 5:09 PM

Small Pistol Primers?

Well I messed up.....Both Midway and Powder Valley are completely out of small pistol primers. Well, Im not completely out just below my reserve:rolleyes:....

Anyone know of a better place or is it just best to wait out the election hype?

Thanks-

HighLander51 11-09-2012 5:13 PM

Same thing happened last election, primers disappeared for over 18 months. Reason? Primers have one operation that is performed by hand, not machine, the screeding of the fulminate into the primer cup, by hand. There are only so many primer makers in the world, it takes time to refill the demand. Unlike bullets and cases, which are by machine... Notice you can still get all the bullets, cases, and powder you need!

BACKTOSHOOTING 11-09-2012 5:34 PM

Powder Valley list tula spp in stock, Just checked

john16443 11-09-2012 6:28 PM

Grafs & Sons has a good selection tonight. Decided not to wait and ordered 10K earlier this week.

zomie 11-09-2012 7:58 PM

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|284 seems to have a few ...

Cheap Shot 11-09-2012 10:26 PM

small pistol primers

must just be sporadic inventory. I looked (11/7) at 2 places in roseville/rocklin (NorCal) and they both had good quantities of several different brands of small pistol primers in stock. They had plenty of the rifle primers that were out last visit also. I didn't buy any because money is low and my inventory at home is high enough to survive. :chris:

Shooterjim 11-10-2012 7:25 AM

I heard from a self proclaimed "loading expert" that you can use small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers. It gives a little extra kick so you might need to adjust your powder.

I haven't tried this but he swore by it.

johnny1290 11-10-2012 1:45 PM

fwiw lotta guys use srp. some say it erodes the bolt face, some don't.

shooterbill 11-10-2012 1:56 PM

Check the marketplace. Triple R Munitions has Wolf spp for $25/k.

DRAB_81 11-10-2012 2:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shooterjim (Post 9696079)
I heard from a self proclaimed "loading expert" that you can use small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers. It gives a little extra kick so you might need to adjust your powder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny1290 (Post 9697831)
fwiw lotta guys use srp. some say it erodes the bolt face, some don't.

SRP will work, but seeing this has convinced me to not use anything but standard SPP. It might not happen to everyone, but I'm not very lucky when it comes to stuff like this.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...259DDA54B9.jpg

Link to thread:
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...owtopic=146365

Branden967 11-10-2012 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shooterjim (Post 9696079)

Thanks for the info guys. I herd this ^^^ from other people also, but to be honest it makes me nervous since they are going to be for the 40 cal.

Do you know of anyone who's tried it?

DRAB_81 11-10-2012 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden967 (Post 9699408)
Thanks for the info guys. I herd this ^^^ from other people also, but to be honest it makes me nervous since they are going to be for the 40 cal.

Do you know of anyone who's tried it?

Read the thread in the link I posted right above the quoted post. The picture I posted shows what can happen when using SRP

Quinc 11-10-2012 6:46 PM

Just ordered from graf and sons and they had almost everything in stock. Might also try cabelas.

johnny1290 11-10-2012 6:54 PM

I read the thread. The guy had 20k plus rounds through the gun and 30k 9mm cases lying around. He used up the slide, big whoop. I'd expect wear after that many rounds and not cry about a $500 pistol not lasting forever on the internet LOL

Seriously gun nerds(not accusing the above poster)don't seem to know anything about mechanical stuff. The stuff ive seen people crying about is amazing.

20k+ rounds and he's surprised by wear. He's been cheated! LOL glocks aren't what they used to be LOL

Honestly I don't know, shooting reloads frequently voids your warranty for a reason. Maybe srp does increase wear. They wouldn't be my first choice, but in a pinch they'd do.

DRAB_81 11-10-2012 7:19 PM

Relax Johnny, I wasn't talking to you anyway.

20k for a Glock (or a lot of other modern pistols) is nowhere near the end of the line. The gas cutting/erosion shown in the picture is not normal wear, even for a 20k gun. It's not like replacing springs, connectors, locking blocks, pins or mags. It's the slide. Sure it's a $500 tool, but if you can increase it's service life by using the proper primers, why wouldn't you? You obviously have your mind made up about this, so just use them & don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

johnny1290 11-10-2012 8:27 PM

I wasn't even bagging on you, but if you want to out yourself as a crybaby then so be it.

Yes, I know, glocks are just getting broken in after 20 or 30 thousand rounds of hand loaded high performance ammo which violated the warranty from day 1.

Its those darn primers!

The gun still works, its a total non issue by the usual whiners.

You guys are the people that use stuff then return it to Costco. Please.

A $500 gun wearing out a part after 20-30k rounds of competitive shooting with rifle magnum printers. Stop the presses! Glocks are defective! LOL.

So typical.

Cowboy T 11-10-2012 8:36 PM

DAG Ammo also has 'em in stock. http://www.dagammo.com

Used a few thousand so far in .38/357, and all went bang.

DRAB_81 11-10-2012 8:41 PM

I don't know who pi$$ed in your fruit loops, but all I'm saying is using SRP is a known risk. The guys posting in that thread, with similar or the same experiences, we're not using "high performance" ammo. They were mostly minor PF ammo, which is anything BUT "high performance" ammo. With the exception of (1) pistol, all I own are Glocks (including 3 GEN 4 9mm's), and I put atleast 5k rounds through each of them every year. I'm not the guy you want to think I am. Do whatever you want, I'll keep running standard SPP's & not think twice about it. If you were that smart, you wouldn't have to use SRP "in a pinch" anyway.

HighLander51 11-11-2012 7:37 AM

Never tried using small rifle primers, but I have run about 35,000 of small pistol magnum primers (CCI) thru this G17 (about 80,000 rounds total). And the G34 LoneWolf SS upper has about 17,000 of small magnum CCI's also. Looks normal to me. 125 TC Bear Creek on top of 4 grs TiteGroup at 1.155 overall length. Goes about 1,180 fps out of the G17.

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/p...image35973.jpg

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/p...image35974.jpg

gotglock99 11-15-2012 2:17 PM

Gun show in costa Mesa. Thanksgiving weekend.

johnny1290 11-16-2012 2:07 AM

Hey man you're right I was a jerk I apologize.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRAB_81 (Post 9700172)
I don't know who pi$$ed in your fruit loops, but all I'm saying is using SRP is a known risk. The guys posting in that thread, with similar or the same experiences, we're not using "high performance" ammo. They were mostly minor PF ammo, which is anything BUT "high performance" ammo. With the exception of (1) pistol, all I own are Glocks (including 3 GEN 4 9mm's), and I put atleast 5k rounds through each of them every year. I'm not the guy you want to think I am. Do whatever you want, I'll keep running standard SPP's & not think twice about it. If you were that smart, you wouldn't have to use SRP "in a pinch" anyway.

skibuff 11-16-2012 8:45 AM

So the rifle primers have harder cups that caused the problem. Do magnum pistol primers use a harder cup than standard primers or are they harder like the rifle primers?

DRAB_81 11-18-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny1290 (Post 9733694)
Hey man you're right I was a jerk I apologize.

Don't worry about it, most of us have been there once or twice before. I also want to apologize for responding the way I did. :cheers2:

kuletchi 11-18-2012 1:29 PM

Well if you're in SoCal, Phillips Wholesale in Covina/Glendora. 626-331-3022 open only thurs-sun. Great prices. I go there for powder, primer & bullets.

bigdawg86 11-18-2012 1:41 PM

I just got in on a years worth (based off how much i shoot) of SPP/Powder in a PV group buy :cool2:

johnny1290 11-18-2012 3:22 PM

Not at all bud! when you said' I dunno who pi$$ed in your cheerios' I thought about it and said 'you know, the man has a point' LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRAB_81 (Post 9746714)
Don't worry about it, most of us have been there once or twice before. I also want to apologize for responding the way I did. :cheers2:

HighLander51 11-18-2012 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skibuff (Post 9734739)
So the rifle primers have harder cups that caused the problem. Do magnum pistol primers use a harder cup than standard primers or are they harder like the rifle primers?

The only way gas can blow back is if the primer doesn't seat tight, magnum or not. I suspect the guy who posted erosion was using the cases over and over. I only run once fired, and fire them once.