Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   LEO to PVT Party Transfer (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=640042)

CaptSlowTopGear 11-04-2012 10:43 PM

LEO to PVT Party Transfer

Hello All,

Got a question for ya, figured you guys might be the best to ask this. It is to my understanding that LEO's can get firearms off the approved list with department approval. Once that weapon is DROS'ed and registered in the state, is it possible to transfer that firearm to someone who isn't a LEO so long as it complies with the capacity restriction?

CAPT. Slow

Invisible_Dave 11-04-2012 11:07 PM

Off roster guns can be transferred through the PPT process.

Librarian 11-05-2012 12:04 AM

Just don't ask your friendly acquaintance who is a LEO to buy and then re-sell to you - a couple Sac Sheriff deputies got in a bunch of trouble for that.

But if they no longer need or like something they bought, they may sell their handguns just like any other CA resident.

rromeo 11-05-2012 5:08 AM

If a field agent told you that, then it's an opinion. That requirement is not in any text that I have.

Bobby Ricigliano 11-05-2012 5:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptSlowTopGear (Post 9656295)
Hello All,

Got a question for ya, figured you guys might be the best to ask this. It is to my understanding that LEO's can get firearms off the approved list with department approval. Once that weapon is DROS'ed and registered in the state, is it possible to transfer that firearm to someone who isn't a LEO so long as it complies with the capacity restriction?

CAPT. Slow

Yes. A LEO could buy an off roster gun, decide he does not like it, and sell it to a non-LEO.

However, to buy it simply for the purpose of flipping it to someone else, well to me that sounds like a straw purchase.

Warhawk014 11-05-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scootergmc (Post 9657173)
Negative.

i agree

Librarian 11-05-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewXD/G23 (Post 9656703)
Just has to stay in the LEO's name for 30 days.....

I wish it were that simple, but there is no mandated time nor is there a common 'rule of thumb'. It's undefined, so a bit of a risk; all we can guess is 'longer ownership is less likely to raise questions'.

Do recall that there was a bill introduced this year (that failed) that would have prohibited LEO from reselling off-Roster guns to other CA residents who were not also Roster-exempt.

In my opinion, if the only issue were to be how long one must own a gun before selling it, 'two years' is the absolute safe point - that or longer should never raise an issue.

That is obviously extremely conservative; maybe some other potential seller is comfortable at six months.

I further hold the opinion that 1 month or less is always going to be perilous.

But that's just opinion.

Hopalong 11-05-2012 12:50 PM

I would agree with the above.

The biggest problem, however, is trying to make sense, or set guidelines

For something that is silly to the core.

drewXD/G23 11-05-2012 12:55 PM

The reason I stated a month minimum is due to DOJ being behind...... If an LEO buys and transfer right away might throw a flag up as a straw purchase for a non roster firearm......