Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   I thought "Warning Shots" were strictly Hollywood and big (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=639862)

Squid 11-04-2012 3:52 PM

I thought "Warning Shots" were strictly Hollywood and big

I thought "Warning Shots" were strictly Hollywood and big no-no in USA. (although I hear they are used in Russia).

http://www.lassennews.com/index.php?...dline&Itemid=1

Armed24-7 11-04-2012 3:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squid (Post 9653499)
I thought "Warning Shots" were strictly Hollywood and big no-no in USA. (although I hear they are used in Russia).

http://www.lassennews.com/index.php?...dline&Itemid=1

There is no "law" pertaining to law enforcment using warning shots. It is generally up to each individual law enforcement agency to decide if they want to makes policies regarding warning shots. Many agencies forbid their officers from shooting warning shots. I know a few agnecies who have recently changed that policy and now allow it, although they do not encourage it.

bill_k_lopez 11-04-2012 4:01 PM

warning shot to the head is ok in my book.

daveinwoodland 11-04-2012 4:05 PM

I had to laugh the other night watching an episode of Alias on Netflix streaming. Here these full tactical CIA guys are taking down people left and right but one character that I guess they didn't want to kill off yet get's a "freeze" dont move shout and get's away.

He could of used a "warning" shot to the head, no problem.

ZirconJohn 11-04-2012 4:12 PM

Officer: "Gee Sir... you drilled one in'eem at center mass... one shot kill..." :eek:

Me: "Yes Sir... was only a warning shot... looks like I missed..." :shrug: :D

chsk9 11-04-2012 5:57 PM

No personal experience with this, but I have heard that the prison guards use mini-14s which could be the reason- he was aiming for the head and hit him in the waist :rolleyes:
p.s. I like mini-14s

Manolito 11-04-2012 6:24 PM

I have a meeting tomorrow with a CO supervisor I will ask about warning shot protocol.

fullrearview 11-04-2012 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinwoodland (Post 9653543)
I had to laugh the other night watching an episode of Alias on Netflix streaming. Here these full tactical CIA guys are taking down people left and right but one character that I guess they didn't want to kill off yet get's a "freeze" dont move shout and get's away.

He could of used a "warning" shot to the head, no problem.

Still, a great show.

Notorious 11-05-2012 7:04 AM

I have never been told not to use warning shots, quite the opposite. From the academy to the streets, the protocol has always been the same. Use warning shots only in extremely limited circumstances.

If I choose to do so, aim the weapon at something that will ABSORB the bullet, such as a tree trunk or packed dirt so there is no ricochet. Never aim the weapon into the air as a warning shot. Document the use to the nth degree.

The escaping felon was not a scenario given to us as one where a warning shot was appropriate. The scenario used was if you were surrounded or another officer was surrounded and you had to get to him and the crowd can't hear you or won't hear you.

Now, I won't debate the logic of it, but it was what was taught.

Warhawk014 11-05-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chsk9 (Post 9654123)
No personal experience with this, but I have heard that the prison guards use mini-14s which could be the reason- he was aiming for the head and hit him in the waist :rolleyes:
p.s. I like mini-14s

CDCr does have a warning shot policy. and up until last year it was not considered deadly force. but in order to use a warning shot the criteria for deadly force must be present for an officer to take that warning shot.

brl0301 11-05-2012 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhawk014 (Post 9658276)
CDCr does have a warning shot policy. and up until last year it was not considered deadly force. but in order to use a warning shot the criteria for deadly force must be present for an officer to take that warning shot.

I believe that our dept policy is the same, that warning shots are allowed but the situation must warrant the use of deadly force

Manolito 11-06-2012 5:55 PM

Met with a supervosor of the CO who pulled the trigger. Warning shot can only be used when you have the right to use deadly force and then it is officer discretion. First shot was fired and all inmates hit the deck removing the right to use deadly force. Then the combatants got up again and started kicking the inmate again. A warning shot was fired and all inmates hit the ground again. New position allowed another guard a clear shot and as the inmates got up again and started kicking the inmate in the head he took a center mass shot and hit the lower right quadrant and exited the thigh.

Pretty interesting policy once explained to me.

I am not a LEO or a CO I just had a meeting and got this information.

Bill

Warhawk014 11-07-2012 1:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manolito (Post 9668588)
Met with a supervosor of the CO who pulled the trigger. Warning shot can only be used when you have the right to use deadly force and then it is officer discretion. First shot was fired and all inmates hit the deck removing the right to use deadly force. Then the combatants got up again and started kicking the inmate again. A warning shot was fired and all inmates hit the ground again. New position allowed another guard a clear shot and as the inmates got up again and started kicking the inmate in the head he took a center mass shot and hit the lower right quadrant and exited the thigh.

Bill

Yeah. That pretty much sums it up. Good shoot.

Invisible_Dave 11-07-2012 5:29 PM

Warning shots prohibited for us.

kimber_ss 11-08-2012 12:15 AM

Oops, I got him in the foot, ouch I got him in the knee, oh no I got him on his.... J/K

Seaweed02 11-08-2012 6:38 AM

Not quite right

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhawk014 (Post 9658276)

We do have policies regarding warning shots in the prison. These policies have been in place at least since the "Corcoran 8" incident. They are allowed in certain situations out in the yard, but there are signs posted in all chow halls, and buildings saying "no warning shots". This for the ricochet danger I believe. Warning shots are allowed for an incident outside in the yard, but are not required. It is up to the individual Correctional Officer to make the determination, act, and then articulate his/her reasons in the report.

In CDCR, we sometimes find ourselves outside the prison walls. I have been tasked with transporting inmates, searching for an escaped inmate, and more recently as an armed Parole Agent. Outside the prison walls, so basically anywhere in the community, CDCR employees are NOT authorized to fire warning shots.

Lastly, in CDCR policy the same circumstances that authorize the use of deadly force must be present in order to fire a warning shot.

Seaweed02 11-08-2012 6:43 AM

Exactly right

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manolito (Post 9668588)

Bill

That is exactly correct. All the circumstances that authorize the use of deadly force must be present in order for you to fire your weapon whether it is aimed at an individual or at the ground for a warning shot. And it is up to the Officer to make the determination and then defend the decision later.

Notorious 11-08-2012 7:08 AM

BANG BANG BANG

FREEZE!

Glock31B 11-08-2012 7:25 AM

I have no knowledge of a Law enforcement agency in CA being authorized to fire warning shots. The only time I have been told warning shots are allowed is overseas.......

Notorious 11-08-2012 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glock31B (Post 9681689)
I have no knowledge of a Law enforcement agency in CA being authorized to fire warning shots. The only time I have been told warning shots are allowed is overseas.......

I'll tell you that I have knowledge, read it myself in the policy manual too.

Invisible_Dave 11-08-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glock31B (Post 9681689)

I also know of one local to me.

Eric B 11-09-2012 5:01 PM

My municipal department allows warning shots. However, we're not allowed to use a rifle or shotgun and its "preferred" that its done in grass or another material that's less likely to cause a ricochet if possible. That's about it for our rules.

cacop 11-09-2012 8:55 PM

I have heard of a few agencies that have it in their policy. The ones I heard of are small cowtowns that got big and never took it out.

Notorious 11-09-2012 9:24 PM

I resent that!

LexLuther 11-09-2012 9:37 PM

You can hardly compare a prison shooting to life outside...

Notorious 11-10-2012 9:48 AM

I don't work for a prison, although sometimes it feels like it.

IlDuche 11-14-2012 3:37 PM

Between realignment, PCRS, and real life 3056, every cop working in CA works in a prison.

Ron-Solo 11-14-2012 6:19 PM

LASD changed its policy a few years ago to allow warning shots, but it has to be a situation where deadly force would have been fully justified, but the situation allowed for a warning shot to be made with safety. Very few situations fall into this category.

Although there may be a lot of bulls#%t involved with LASD, it's not a small "cowtown" agency.