Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Deals, Sales and Coupons (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   OAK TREE GUN CLUB 2 For 1 BLACK FRIDAY SALE! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=636172)

racinginthestreets 10-25-2012 2:45 PM

OAK TREE GUN CLUB 2 For 1 BLACK FRIDAY SALE!
 
Oak Tree Gun Club is running a 2 for 1 annual pistol, shotgun, or rifle range pass for half the price if you bring someone in to buy the other pass. So for $125.00 you can shoot for a full year. The best things about this range are; it has separate pistol, shotgun and rifle ranges. Everything is outdoors, very large assortment of range pistol rentals that are free to members, ammo is very reasonably priced, hand loads allowed, dinning area that serves hot food, instruction available and everybody is friendly and professional. I don't work there, but I always shoot there. It's the best place I've experienced. Worth looking into. Let me know if anyone is interested in meeting up that day to take advantage of the sale.

CSACANNONEER 10-25-2012 3:22 PM

So you need a different pass to shoot pistols and rifles? With the passes are there other fees involved? With the shotgun pass or membership, what does one actually get? How long is this offer going to last?

cwilliams 10-25-2012 3:30 PM

One range pass for all. Normal extra fees for shotgun, but discounted prices all around if I remember correctly.

I will certainly be doing this deal!

cwilliams 10-25-2012 3:36 PM

Correction - it looks like the shotgun membership is different from the rifle/pistol membership. I'm not sure what their Black Friday deal includes, but the 2 for 1 deal looks to be 50% off their rifle/pistol membership since that is $250 normally.

Ed_Hazard 10-25-2012 3:38 PM

If this Black Friday resembles last year at Oak Tree get their early. It was a madhouse.

Faded 10-25-2012 3:44 PM

Rifle range is only open on Fridays correct?

cwilliams 10-25-2012 4:07 PM

No. They opened up their new "AR" rifle range that now has lights. Open Wed-Sun during their regular hours if I heard right.

Raul B 10-25-2012 5:08 PM

that sounds like a great deal.... ill pass along the word.... so we have to show up on black friday to get this deal? or will they be selling it a couple days before?

ELIXIR 10-25-2012 5:22 PM

I can picture it already! Full house!!

mAd mOrdigan 10-25-2012 9:23 PM

so... I CAN'T shoot trap/skeet with this membership?

el tardo 10-25-2012 9:32 PM

its only on black friday!!! as i have checked with them last two times i was there.
for $300.00 you get all, rifle ,pistol and shotgun
so thats $150.00 per person

im planning on buying my membership that day so if some one wants to split the costs please send me a pm so we can plan this out

mike
and i only care about pistol and rifle as i dont own a shotgun yet

Brandon04GT 10-25-2012 10:37 PM

Definitely interested in this...but not sure if I can make it there on Black Friday morning.

Can anyone clarify whether the rifle range is only a 100 yard range?

Also as far as shotguns, this deal does not include shotgun I take it. Does Oak Tree only have the skeet range for shotguns? Or can we shoot at the "paper" range as well?

robear 10-26-2012 12:54 AM

Here's the website with pricing http://www.oaktreegunclub.com//prices/index.asp

Can't find annual rifle range membership. Do I assume this is part of the pistol range membership? Also can't find the $300 "all of the above" option, where are you guys getting this info? Also haven't seen anything mentioned on the site about a black friday sale, maybe it will be mentioned on the site as the date approaches? Or maybe this is a low key kinda thing.

Here's info on the rifle range http://www.oaktreegunclub.com//shoot...nues/rifle.asp

It seems the limit is 100 yards, but I'm not sure.

I hear they are kind of lenient on what type of ammo you can shoot there, and aren't range nazis with magnets looking at and dissecting your ammo. If so, that's great. Hate being cavity searched every time I go to the range, and them making a bigass deal about steel cased ammo, etc.

Haven't been to oaktree though, but have been meaning to check it out, hear great things about them and their awesome carnival like steel target setup for pistols.

I will probably take a look before black friday to see if I want to drop the cash for membership. It seems promising.

Also, are these memberships limited? I don't want to show up black friday and have them say, "we ran out of half price memberships, you'll have to buy the full price ones now", or something like that.

gesundheit 10-26-2012 5:41 AM

The rifle range is 100 yards max.

They will check your ammo if it looks different with a magnet.

The shotgun range is not included in the $250 for 2 sale.

These memberships are limited.

Any other questions?

Fuel&Fire 10-26-2012 6:13 AM

Anyone know how many they are offering 2 for 1?

puRe59 10-26-2012 9:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuel&Fire (Post 9594572)
Anyone know how many they are offering 2 for 1?

What do you mean? I don't think there's a limit.



Oaktree is by far the best range I've been to. Nice, clean range. Friendly people. More than 60 miles from me, but well worth the trip every time.

Fuel&Fire 10-26-2012 9:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robearo2 (Post 9594226)
Also, are these memberships limited? I don't want to show up black friday and have them say, "we ran out of half price memberships, you'll have to buy the full price ones now", or something like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gesundheit (Post 9594496)
These memberships are limited.

Any other questions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by puRe59 (Post 9595363)
What do you mean? I don't think there's a limit.


Sounds like there only offering a certain amount, and I dont want to be in the same situation Robearo is talking about...

gesundheit 10-26-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puRe59 (Post 9595363)
What do you mean? I don't think there's a limit.

What you or I think is irrelevant. These kind of deals are always limited. Unless Oaktree wants to cut its membership revenue by half.

ostaF 10-26-2012 11:18 AM

Last time I was there the rifle range RSOs singled me out and wouldn't allow me to shoot magnetic ammo while others continued shooting it. I called them before and during my trip with a confirmation that steel/magnetic ammo was allowed, didn't matter. I've shot plenty of steel/magnetic on previous trips with the same RSO.

I was planning on becoming a member at Oaktree but not anymore. It seems they care more about their group-on customers than their regulars.

zealot9802 10-26-2012 12:44 PM

Anyone been to their BF before? Is it crazy busy?

el tardo 10-26-2012 4:38 PM

serious
 
so who wants to split this with me? pm me and we can meet there when they open . i would like to have something arranged before the date gets to close.

thanks mike

RoundEye 10-26-2012 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el tardo (Post 9598140)
so who wants to split this with me? pm me and we can meet there when they open . i would like to have something arranged before the date gets to close.
thanks mike

I'm a maybe. I need to check my calendar, and make sure I'm going to be around the day after Turkey Day.

LAKings22 10-26-2012 5:06 PM

That's a good deal. The range fee is $20 so If you go 7x a year then your already saving money. Oaktree has always been a great outdoor range. I might take advantage of this offer, it will give me more of a reason to go shooting. I wonder if you can bring a guest at a discounted price if your a member.

el tardo 10-26-2012 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAKings22 (Post 9598292)
That's a good deal. The range fee is $20 so If you go 7x a year then your already saving money. Oaktree has always been a great outdoor range. I might take advantage of this offer, it will give me more of a reason to go shooting. I wonder if you can bring a guest at a discounted price if your a member.

yes you can. when i go with my friend its only 10 bucks
very fun place and still close

robear 10-27-2012 12:08 AM

According to a yelp post by an Oak tree representative, their official stance is they don't allow steel core. Do they actually uphold this? What is the consequence if say someone (I don't know who), were caught firing a mosin nagant with surplus steel core ammo?

"Comment from Katharine M. of Oak Tree Gun Club 5/17/2012 Hide

Thanks for your feedback. We actually do not allow any steel core ammo, it is a safety and fire hazard. Also, Oak Tree are is well known for our handgun range as well as our trap/skeet/sporting clays ranges. No other ranges close by have a steel plinking gallery. Unfortunately, our rifle range is only open on Fridays and is only 100 yards. For people that need longer distances we refer them to ASR. We like to support or LEO by giving them use of our range. We are currently building a fully automated combat AR range that will be available in June."

It's such a pain in the *** trying to find a place to shoot up this cheap surplus steel core ammo, without driving out to the middle of the desert and wondering if someone will hit you in the back of the head with a tire iron, while your attention is on the target, and steal all of your guns and possibly kidneys as well.

This whole anti steel thang seems so blown out of proportion. Just get rid of bushes on the firing line? Have some fire extinguishers? (Better to have and not need?)

I would def get the membership if I knew I could shoot my surplus ammo freely.

Although, she said "steel core" is not allowed, but what about steel jacketed? Anyone know?:confused:

robear 10-27-2012 12:13 AM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-601198.html

here's some more info about oaktree and their ammo policy. I'll visit and see what happens.

cwilliams 10-27-2012 7:02 AM

No, they do not allow steel core, but myself and others have emails stating they allow bi-metal. As it has been pointed out in the other thread, they even sell it. Why they are now starting to check while fully knowing their own ammo they sell fails the magnet test, I do not know.

Beyond that, Oak Tree is an excellent range! Can't complain all too much when a very nice facility like that is close to your home.

zealot9802 10-27-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el tardo (Post 9598140)
so who wants to split this with me? pm me and we can meet there when they open . i would like to have something arranged before the date gets to close.

thanks mike

If roundeye drops out Ill go with you. I go all the time so id love to have a membership.

bonesurf 10-27-2012 11:02 AM

Just got done shooting this AM at oaktree. Got caught with MFS which I thought was steel case but not steel tipped. Turns out I was wrong. Anyways I like them. It's a nice setup albeit it only goes to 100 meters or so

cwilliams 10-27-2012 3:59 PM

MFS is lead core with a bi-metal jacket.

bonesurf 10-27-2012 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwilliams (Post 9603895)
MFS is lead core with a bi-metal jacket.

Yeah. I was mis informed. And now I've got about 300 rds of it that I dunno when I can ever shoot

cwilliams 10-27-2012 4:11 PM

Do yourself a favor and email Oak Tree and see what answer you get about bi-metal info@oaktreegunclub.com

You will most likely get a response from Katie Mitchell, who is the daughter of the owner/might be part owner - not sure what her official position is.

robear 10-27-2012 11:47 PM

Got confirmation that magnetic ammo (whether steel core or just bimetal jacketed) is never allowed. They sell the magnetic ammo as well, but it's not intended for use on their range. It's kind of like how turners sells wolf ammo, but that doesn't mean you're allowed to shoot it in their store lol.

I really don't know what to do now. Maybe just wait for it to rain and go to burro canyon instead? Seems like the only range that ever allows bimetal/steel. A range could really fill a niche if they allowed magnetic ammo year round. They could just control burn the bushes around the firing line periodically.

Does nor cal suck like this as well?

A lot of people have stockpiles of cheap bimetal/steel/magnetic ammo and so we need a place to test fire and become familiar with the behavior of this ammo. It wouldn't be good enough to only use brass at the range, and never test fire the bimetal, and hope to ever successfully use the bimetal in some kind of zombacalypse event. It might not fire at all, or the point of impact may be shifted, and so all of the fine tuning of your sights was for nothing. Besides, steel core surplus ammo is usually superior and cheaper. It has great penetration of barriers/cover and momentum for longer ranges. Lead might be better in some cases, such as higher fragmentation for greater tissue damage. It sucks we have to pay 2 to 3 times as much for ammo to appease the ranges and their anti steel policies. Though these policies are probably forced upon them by the state.

Anyone have any ideas of alternative ranges or places to shoot magnetic ammo?

bonesurf 10-28-2012 6:04 AM

The desert

FourLoko 10-28-2012 7:00 AM

Dude I shot Golden Tiger there last weekend. I'm going up there right now to shoot more of it.

cwilliams 10-28-2012 7:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robearo2 (Post 9606093)
Got confirmation that magnetic ammo (whether steel core or just bimetal jacketed) is never allowed. They sell the magnetic ammo as well, but it's not intended for use on their range. It's kind of like how turners sells wolf ammo, but that doesn't mean you're allowed to shoot it in their store lol

Then they have definitely changed their policy on ammo within the past few months.

The only problem about the analogy between ammo and Turner's, is Turner's isn't a SHOOTING RANGE. Don't sell what you aren't being allowed to shoot. Period. That is one good way to piss off some customers and even their own members.

FourLoko 10-28-2012 11:53 AM

Crap, just had a long post going and hit back on accident.

I think they're just confused about what they're trying to ban. Instead of just letting her rip with Golden Tiger again I tried to get the issue clarified. Asked two different RSOs and got similar but not definitive answers. Only one mentioned anything about fire danger. It's clear they don't want steel core damaging the steel targets which makes sense.

It's evident they don't really know what bi-metal jacketed is because one RSO just keep saying "I can't tell" the magnet this and that, blah blah blah. The damn GT box says "Lead Core."

They (RSOs) did have an AK out and they were testing some 7.62x39 all copper reloads so that they can start selling them. Again, in the shack where you pay to shoot, boxes of Brown Bear and the giant box of Wolf. So dumb.

I have no interest in paying for their overpriced reloads just to shoot there. Banning bi-metal ammo really kills any incentive for choosing Oaktree over Angeles Range. I'm sure they don't care though, they're rolling in dough from all of the "Living Social" groups that show up and shoot for 30 minutes and leave.

In any case, I vacated the rifle range and headed to the pistol bays with my AK and my GT. No RSO, perfect. Target up. Loaded up. Lots of fun and no fires. Went through about 120 rounds. RSO came by mid session, didn't say a word about ammo and was on his way.

That's how it should be. I love this gun but it saddens me that the cheap ammo is becoming more and more useless around here.

ostaF 10-29-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FourLoko (Post 9607957)
Crap, just had a long post going and hit back on accident.

I think they're just confused about what they're trying to ban. Instead of just letting her rip with Golden Tiger again I tried to get the issue clarified. Asked two different RSOs and got similar but not definitive answers. Only one mentioned anything about fire danger. It's clear they don't want steel core damaging the steel targets which makes sense.

It's evident they don't really know what bi-metal jacketed is because one RSO just keep saying "I can't tell" the magnet this and that, blah blah blah. The damn GT box says "Lead Core."

They (RSOs) did have an AK out and they were testing some 7.62x39 all copper reloads so that they can start selling them. Again, in the shack where you pay to shoot, boxes of Brown Bear and the giant box of Wolf. So dumb.

I have no interest in paying for their overpriced reloads just to shoot there. Banning bi-metal ammo really kills any incentive for choosing Oaktree over Angeles Range. I'm sure they don't care though, they're rolling in dough from all of the "Living Social" groups that show up and shoot for 30 minutes and leave.

In any case, I vacated the rifle range and headed to the pistol bays with my AK and my GT. No RSO, perfect. Target up. Loaded up. Lots of fun and no fires. Went through about 120 rounds. RSO came by mid session, didn't say a word about ammo and was on his way.

That's how it should be. I love this gun but it saddens me that the cheap ammo is becoming more and more useless around here.

^^^This!

Oaktree was my AK spot... now it's going to cost the same as the AR, maybe more to shoot the AK now. It looks like Raahauge's is the only spot left with no ammo restrictions. I need to stock up on Yugo M67.

Moto 10-29-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoundEye (Post 9598161)
I'm a maybe. I need to check my calendar, and make sure I'm going to be around the day after Turkey Day.

Do it!

Oaktree is the best public range in socal in my opinion.

robear 10-29-2012 5:22 PM

Quote:

Then they have definitely changed their policy on ammo within the past few months.

The only problem about the analogy between ammo and Turner's, is Turner's isn't a SHOOTING RANGE. Don't sell what you aren't being allowed to shoot. Period. That is one good way to piss off some customers and even their own members.
Well the reason the analogy is kind of valid is because oaktree has a separate restaurant and gun store. The gun store is where they sell the banned ammo. Though the boundary between range store, and gun store, in this instance is a little hazy.

I don't know if they actually enforce the magnetic ammo ban though. Maybe this is what she had to tell me through email. I dunno. Maybe I should get a livingsocial coupon and check it out in person lol

This desert idea is really intriguing me. Go into the desert and become one with nature lol. Hopefully I don't run into any meth labs out there. Do I have to buy some "adventure pass" or anything to shoot out there?
http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/Fi...reas_final.pdf

Around barstow is nearest to me, anyone know of any good spots around there? Accessible by car? How dangerous is it out there? Would it be stupid to go alone? Probably.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.