Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Will Windex damage a eotech? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=635014)

Cactuscooler 10-22-2012 7:50 PM

Will Windex damage a eotech?

Quick question will windex or a ammonia based glass cleaner damage my eotech? In the manual it has this to say"

MAINTENANCE AND CARE

Your HWS is a precision instrument that deserves reasonably cautious care. The

3. No maintenance is needed on the sight’s surface, except to occasionally wipe
off with a soft cloth. Use only a water-based cleaner such as glass cleaner,
ammonia, or soap and water
. Never use any solvent-type cleaner such as
alcohol or acetone. "

I keep hearing conflicting stories about how I should invest in optical cleaner instead. And that windex is bad for the surface of the coating, would that effect the functionality of the eotech or just the reflective coating on the lense?

Speedpower 10-22-2012 8:24 PM

Didn't you just answered your own question by posting #3 with bold letters?

Yugo 10-22-2012 8:27 PM

just use some LCD cleaner if its safe for the plastic on your big screen or laptop its safe for the eotech.

MrPlink 10-23-2012 5:14 AM

I use automotive spray cleaners, like mothers, for all general external cleaning for dust and dirt etc etc. works fine on optics too

taloft 10-23-2012 5:23 AM

You could always contact Eotech and ask for a recommendation. Then you'd know for sure.

dieselpower 10-23-2012 5:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taloft (Post 9572361)
You could always contact Eotech and ask for a recommendation. Then you'd know for sure.

that's like calling them and asking them to read the manual to you...:rolleyes:

@ the op...when you read, "do not shine this laser into your eyes" do you ask if its "OK to look at the laser while its on?"

Follow the manuals instructions.

I say you should use 30 grit sandpaper and soft scrub counter cleaner...

who you gonna trust..;)

Dinosaur Jr 10-26-2012 5:11 PM

I have an optical-grade spray solution for my glasses that is intended for coated lenses. I just use that stuff. I only use Windex on windows, cuts and scrapes.

ejhc11 11-02-2012 8:18 PM

Get a camera lens brush that blows air while sweeping to get any sand/dirt of the lens. Then use one of those nice sunglass cloth from the optometry office to clean any finger smudges/oil of the lens.

Its how I clean my Canon camera lenses.

roushstage2 11-02-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cactuscooler (Post 9570516)
3. No maintenance is needed on the sight’s surface, except to occasionally wipe off with a soft cloth. Use only a water-based cleaner such as glass cleaner, ammonia, or soap and water. Never use any solvent-type cleaner such as alcohol or acetone. "

Don't use a solvent-type cleaner such as alcohol or acetone, but ammonia is OK? Doesn't seem quite right to me. I'd stick to an actual automotive glass cleaner (no alcohol, ammonia, etc.) or some warm water with a bit of distilled white vinegar.