Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   are knives that flip out from shoes legal? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=633383)

Squid 10-18-2012 4:56 PM

are knives that flip out from shoes legal?

Like that old hag to tired to kill James Bond in From Russia with Love.

What about fixed knifes, spikes or "brass knuckles" on shoes?

9mmepiphany 10-18-2012 6:13 PM

Why go to the trouble...just wear steel toed boots

moooooo 10-18-2012 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany (Post 9544620)
Why go to the trouble...just wear steel toed boots

this
i know a guy that had steel to shoes on and had an oxygen tank for a cutting torch fall on his foot and cut the tips of 3 toes off

packnrat 10-31-2012 10:19 PM

steel toe shoes are bad and false protection.
i have know many with messed up feet do to the steel toe.
yes there foot would have gotten hurt with out, but not as bad as crushed parts, when the steel toe collapsed.

Eat Dirt 10-31-2012 10:22 PM

Have you been watching the old T V show

"Wild Wild West " Again ?

db42 10-31-2012 10:48 PM

No, he just watched Batman Begins and saw the Joker's knife shoe.

Rider1k 10-31-2012 10:57 PM

Since we are on the subject. Is the kershaw leek type knife illegal in good ole Ca? It has assisted open, which only means that when you start to open it it helps you. I have always been curious. My best bud is a LEO and he isn't really sure and I am not about to bother him with it just because he has better things to think about. Any one?

CreamyFettucini 11-01-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider1k (Post 9631575)
Since we are on the subject. Is the kershaw leek type knife illegal in good ole Ca? It has assisted open, which only means that when you start to open it it helps you. I have always been curious. My best bud is a LEO and he isn't really sure and I am not about to bother him with it just because he has better things to think about. Any one?

"Switchblade knife" does not include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or that biases the blade back toward its closed position."
From P.C. 17235

P5Ret 11-01-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider1k (Post 9631575)

I don't have a Kershaw, but I do have a couple of assisted openers. There is a notch that the blade has to pass before the "assist" takes over. As stated above it requires thumb pressure to start it, so I would say they are legal. I don't think they are all that much faster to open than most other folders.

Rider1k 11-01-2012 12:01 PM

Cool. Thanks guys

9mmepiphany 11-01-2012 12:28 PM

Assisted openers are generally legal under State Law.

However, I would have to agree that they aren't any faster to open that if you learn the correct technique than a regular folder. You don't even need a hole or stud in/on the blade...all you need is enough mass to flip it open with a flick of your wrist

Decoligny 11-01-2012 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany (Post 9634198)
Assisted openers are generally legal under State Law.

However, I would have to agree that they aren't any faster to open that if you learn the correct technique than a regular folder. You don't even need a hole or stud in/on the blade...all you need is enough mass to flip it open with a flick of your wrist

I beleive there is case law that states if a folder can be opened by just a flip of the wrist it is considered a switchblade knife.

anbu_yoshi 11-01-2012 1:58 PM

how about the double cylinder belt revolver that sex machine had in from dusk till dawn? now there's something to have.

Armed24-7 11-02-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eat Dirt (Post 9631385)
Have you been watching the old T V show

"Wild Wild West " Again ?

Hey whatch what you call "old". I use to watch that show religiously as a kid. :p

Armed24-7 11-02-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squid (Post 9544087)
Like that old hag to tired to kill James Bond in From Russia with Love.

What about fixed knifes, spikes or "brass knuckles" on shoes?

California rule of thumb concerning knives:

1) If the blade is spring loaded and it designed to flick out unassisted, it is illegal
2) If the blade is 3" or more in length, it is illegal
3) If the blade is double edged, it is illegal
4) If the blade or object is designed as a weapon, not for utility, it is illegal
4) Any other object modified to be used as a stabbing instrument is illegal

With all that said, keep in mind that cities or counties may have municipal ordinances that may cause problems for you too. These ordinances may differ from state law, but can also get you into hot water.

Yes, the items you described affixed to the shoes would all be illegal.

mej16489 11-02-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armed24-7 (Post 9640244)
California rule of thumb concerning knives:

1) If the blade is spring loaded and it designed to flick out unassisted, it is illegal
2) If the blade is 3" or more in length, it is illegal
3) If the blade is double edged, it is illegal
4) If the blade or object is designed as a weapon, not for utility, it is illegal
4) Any other object modified to be used as a stabbing instrument is illegal

With all that said, keep in mind that cities or counties may have municipal ordinances that may cause problems for you too. These ordinances may differ from state law, but can also get you into hot water.

Yes, the items you described affixed to the shoes would all be illegal.

Geebers, is it that bad in the OC?

I agree with #1 ('switchblade' and/or 'gravity knife')
#2 would have to be in county or municipal code.
#3 Only illegal if concealed on the person. Presuming you are implying its a 'fixed blade.' Double Edged has nothing todo with the CA Penal Code. County or City code...maybe.
Both #4s Same as #3

Armed24-7 11-02-2012 1:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mej16489 (Post 9640570)
Geebers, is it that bad in the OC?

I agree with #1 ('switchblade' and/or 'gravity knife')
#2 would have to be in county or municipal code.
#3 Only illegal if concealed on the person. Presuming you are implying its a 'fixed blade.' Double Edged has nothing todo with the CA Penal Code. County or City code...maybe.
Both #4s Same as #3

When I spoke of a "double edged blade", I was generalizing. Double edged daggers can fall into the category of "Dirk or Dagger".

P.S. I don't work in OC, I live there. I work for LASD ;-)

Coded-Dude 11-02-2012 2:07 PM

"you're too stupid to have a good time"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ph8V052fCN...ebootknife.jpg

TrailerparkTrash 11-02-2012 2:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moooooo (Post 9544741)
this
i know a guy that had steel to shoes on and had an oxygen tank for a cutting torch fall on his foot and cut the tips of 3 toes off

I think everybody has heard about this "mystery man" that has had his toe tips cut off from steel toed boots. Yet for the past 35+ years, I've yet to physically meet a guy with that claim.

I'm sure it's happened, but a very few have also been struck by lightening. The people that have had their toes "saved" from wearing steel toed boots far out number the one or two folk that have suffered detrimental damage as a result of the steel toe insert.

Coded-Dude 11-02-2012 2:35 PM

Didn't they Mysthbust the steel toe boot myth?

Eat Dirt 11-02-2012 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armed24-7 (Post 9640166)
Hey whatch what you call "old". I use to watch that show religiously as a kid. :p

That's O K .........
I Used to watch it in Gloriaus Black and White