Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Rimfire Firearms (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   First Handgun - Buck Mark Micro Standard URX??? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=631064)

MotoriousRacing 10-12-2012 2:05 PM

First Handgun - Buck Mark Micro Standard URX???

Per the title, I plan to buy my first handgun. I just mailed off my PFEC application and am reading up on the HSC.

Although I've owned a Ruger 10/22 and a 410 shotgun for a number of years, I'm not really a gun enthusiast, I'm just a guy that is prepping for TEOTWAWKI and does some occasional plinking and clay busting. I also have a Maverick 88 12 gauge I inherited but have yet to shoot. I am waiting shipment on a 20-inch barrel for the Mav.

I'm liking the Browning Buck Mark Micro Standard URX (22lr). I have a degree in Manufacturing Engineering (but I work as an Environmental Engineer), and I really like that "Every Buck Mark starts out as a solid piece of aircraft-grade 7075 aluminum alloy, and then is CNC machined to exacting tolerances."

I'm wanting a 22lr for the obvious reasons (cheap to use, I got a few dozen rounds already stockpiled, my wife and kids could easily use it, etc.); I may get something of a larger caliber at a later time. In fact, after the 22lr handgun, I plan to get a California compliant AR-15 type rifle, then a larger caliber handgun.

Please reply with your opinions, questions, or otherwise. Thanks much!

snypr 10-12-2012 2:10 PM

Hey MR, welcome to the forum....

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoriousRacing (Post 9504249)
I got a few dozen rounds already stockpiled, my wife and kids could easily use it, etc.)

Please reply with your opinions, questions, or otherwise. Thanks much!

Now that right there is funny....you are going to need a LOT more than a few dozen rounds....maybe a few thousand rounds. It goes quicker than you might think as these lil guns are a blast to shoot...anyway, just my .02. Here is a pic of my recently finished Buckmark.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...r/IMG_4333.jpg

MotoriousRacing 10-12-2012 2:21 PM

Well, I've got a couple 10/22 magazines and have gone plinkin' enough times to know I need to reload a couple times.

Anyway, it was... stone-faced sarcasm. Glad you thought it was funny.

Maybe this would be more accurate "...few <hundred> dozen...."

MotoriousRacing 10-30-2012 3:41 PM

Whoot! Just got my PFEC approval to purchase and own. It took less than 3 weeks. Purchase of my first handgun will be withing a few days I hope (I need to get caught up on a few things at work).

Also considering the Browning 1911-22 along with the Buck Mark. I think Turner's has the 1911-22 on sale through 11/1 for $500.

MotoriousRacing 11-12-2012 4:39 PM

I ended up buying the Buck Mark Micro Standard URX. paid for it a week ago, but couldn't get away from work/home until this weekend.

Passed the HSC test and signed the DROS on Saturday. I'm out of town for the holidays, so I won't be picking it up until near the end of the month.

I'm very excited to get my first pistol, AND my wife didn't seem at all distressed about it. It helped when she heard it was a .22

TheDeej 11-12-2012 4:42 PM

Good choice, I thoroughly enjoy my Buckmark.

MotoriousRacing 11-28-2012 2:54 PM

Woot! Picked up the pistol today; my first pistol ever. I already loaded up on CCI mini-mags, and today bought 8 mags from CTD. I am looking forward to getting to the range.

Does anyone want to recommend or warn against the McFadden .22 Auto Ultimate Clip Loader?
I have a Prime account so I get free shipping. $24 is less than CTD.

Anybody have a better reloading device/system? Thanks.

Wicked K5 11-28-2012 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoriousRacing (Post 9808905)
Woot! Picked up the pistol today; my first pistol ever. I already loaded up on CCI mini-mags, and today bought 8 mags from CTD. I am looking forward to getting to the range.

Does anyone want to recommend or warn against the McFadden .22 Auto Ultimate Clip Loader?
I have a Prime account so I get free shipping. $24 is less than CTD.

Anybody have a better reloading device/system? Thanks.

Congrats on your new pistol. I use a UCL for my Ruger. THE best & first accessory IMO one should get for their Ruger or Browning. Whenever someone mentions purchasing a Buckmark or MK series, I always recommend they also get the UCL as well {they're that great}

shadow65 11-28-2012 5:23 PM

I need a Buckmark!. Very nice!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by snypr (Post 9504283)
Hey MR, welcome to the forum....

Now that right there is funny....you are going to need a LOT more than a few dozen rounds....maybe a few thousand rounds. It goes quicker than you might think as these lil guns are a blast to shoot...anyway, just my .02. Here is a pic of my recently finished Buckmark.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...r/IMG_4333.jpg

XVIga_Rob 11-29-2012 6:52 PM

Congrats on the BuckMark! Love mine (UDX Plus)!

snypr, that's a sweet pistol!

Ledbetter 11-29-2012 9:17 PM

Good choice. Now,

Www.rimfirecentral.com

MotoriousRacing 11-30-2012 2:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ledbetter (Post 9818855)
Good choice. Now,

Www.rimfirecentral.com

Thanks for the link. Just DROSed a 10/22 from Turner's today, my second 10/22.