Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Home Built AK Legal? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=630674)

Seaweed02 10-11-2012 1:19 PM

Home Built AK Legal?

Hello,

I had something happen today that bothers me for two reasons. One is because I believe I am right. The second reason is because if I am wrong, then I have to make it right.

This past weekend I had a friend help me with a home build AK. It took the whole day to complete the build. It started from a matching Yugoslavian M70b1 parts kit, and a receiver flat that I bought from AK-builder.com. The receiver isn't even finished yet, but still shiny steel. It has 6 U.S. made parts for 922r compliance, and a bullet button/mag lock device for California compliance, and of course I only had 10 round magazines. I took it out this morning to function test it. I had only fired about 40-60 rounds when I saw a BLM Park Ranger truck pull up and stop behind my truck.

Now I knew something was going to go wrong today when the Park Ranger pulled up and asked me if it was an "SKS". Now this is rifle I am holding up in my arms with the barrel pointing up, and the stock about waist level. In the magazine is a 10/30 round magazine, so it is full size and impossible to mistake for an SKS. He told me that the rifle was illegal and that he was going to have to confiscate it. I argued with him respectfully, and in the long run lost. He spent about 40 minutes looking on his laptop in his truck, before he finally said he was going to write it up and take it. He asked for my DL, and spent another 20 minutes in his truck, then got out and told me that he was going to give me a break and to take the rifle home and not bring it out again.

Is it illegal to build an AK at home from these parts kits?

Carl

ramathorn 10-11-2012 1:22 PM

Not if its 922R compliant, as far as i know.

bohoki 10-11-2012 1:23 PM

he was wrong but due to the laws inconsistancies and complexity it is difficult to understand what they all mean

there is plenty of evidence for the law to be struck down due to vagueness

zfields 10-11-2012 1:28 PM

Sounds like he realized he was wrong, but wanted to save face.

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

Librarian 10-11-2012 1:34 PM

Home built has no bearing on anything a Ranger has authority over.

Print out a copy of the flowchart and carry it with you.

Ask for a supervisor if that officer does it again. Plan to be out there for a while waiting for things.

nothinghere2c 10-11-2012 1:36 PM

100% legal. Shoot on!

Seaweed02 10-11-2012 2:17 PM

I thought so

I thought so, or I would not even own the weapon much less take it to the local shooting area. I don't know what to do now, because I was that close to losing the weapon today. I think eventually I would have recovered it, but it might have taken a lot of time and resources to do. Pain in the behind for sure.

I did ask him to call his supervisor. He told me that his supervisor had the day off, but that he would support his decision if he were there today. I told him that if that was the case both he and his supervisor should know the laws that they are enforcing. I said it respectfully, and although he didn't like it, he maintained his cool also.

Thanks fellas for the input and advice.

Ron-Solo 10-11-2012 6:20 PM

You are 100% legal. I would follow up with his supervisor anyway to prevent things in the future.

Armed24-7 10-11-2012 8:33 PM

You are all good man. I am willing to bet this was a traiining issue because LEO,s other than the ATF get very little training on this subject matter. i agree with Ron-Solo. Give his supervisor a call. Not to file a complaint, but to make them aware there are some training issues that need to be addressed. You may be doing a lot of people a favor by doing so.

In the meantime, give your AK another once-ove to make sure you are 922r compliant....just for your benefit.