Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Concealed Carry Discussion (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Do I tell traffic police in CA I have an OOS carry permit? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=630130)

johnny1290 10-09-2012 10:39 PM

Do I tell traffic police in CA I have an OOS carry permit?
 
My class was a bit unclear on this.

If I'm not transporting a weapon, (obviously I'm not carrying in CA)should I tell the police that I have OOS carry permits?

I don't know if it pops up in their computer or protocol is to tell them or not or what the deal is.

I don't want to annoy them by telling them for no reason, or for *not* telling them, you know?

Thanks in advance.

G-forceJunkie 10-09-2012 11:18 PM

California does not require you to disclose a CCW during contact. An out of state CCW will not come up on a computer during a routine traffic stop.

TKM 10-09-2012 11:55 PM

What part of never talk to the police don't you understand?



JK..

E Pluribus Unum 10-10-2012 12:15 AM

Of course not... stupid question....

Don't give them any info they don't need to have... if you're not carrying at the time, why would you even mention a California LTC?? Let alone out of state?

Think McFly...

johnny1290 10-10-2012 12:29 AM

My CCW instructor said to tell the cops when you're pulled over out of state that you have a permit.

I thought there might be an answer to this other than ' don't talk to cops' etc

Librarian 10-10-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny1290 (Post 9487807)
My CCW instructor said to tell the cops when you're pulled over out of state that you have a permit.

I thought there might be an answer to this other than ' don't talk to cops' etc

If you are not carrying - and you say, correctly, that you would not carry in CA - why would the officer care?

A CA LEO has no way to verify the validity of an out of state LTC.

johnny1290 10-10-2012 12:41 AM

That was my question exactly, Librarian.

His explanation was that telling police will possibly make them go easier on you, as in they're more likely to let you off a ticket if they know you're a ccw license holder.

Maybe that's how I should have phrased the question.

In California it seems like it would put the cop on high alert for no benefit, but I don't know, so I thought I'd ask.

The instructor is a calguns member, I'd forgotten, I can PM him and see what he says.

geeknow 10-10-2012 4:42 AM

No point in disclosing this info.

E Pluribus Unum 10-10-2012 8:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny1290 (Post 9487819)
His explanation was that telling police will possibly make them go easier on you, as in they're more likely to let you off a ticket if they know you're a ccw license holder.

You'd be better off by telling him "I have a 2 inch penis"; both statements are irrelevant, but you might appeal to his "small man syndrome" and or he may feel sorry for you.

tonyxcom 10-10-2012 9:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny1290 (Post 9487819)

His explanation was that telling police will possibly make them go easier on you, as in they're more likely to let you off a ticket if they know you're a ccw license holder.

Maybe if you had a CA LTC, but why in the hell would an out of state license matter?

bosh 10-12-2012 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny1290 (Post 9487505)
My class was a bit unclear on this.

If I'm not transporting a weapon, (obviously I'm not carrying in CA)should I tell the police that I have OOS carry permits?

A co-worker / friend of mine did exactly this. He has a Texas CCW and was pulled over by (CA) police for a traffic violation (I'm not sure if it was Highway Patrol or city Police). After hearing the driver had a CCW, the cop stepped back and took a defensive / aggressive attitude as he asked where the weapon was.
When it was explained that he wasn't carrying, the cop said "what did you tell me that for!!??.

Some cops freak at the gun word. Why create un-necessary drama?

hoffmang 10-13-2012 12:46 PM

Even those who do have a California LTC shouldn't "announce" to an officer that they have a carry permit. Having been stopped for a boneheaded maneuver in traffic, when asked for driver's license and registration, I handed over DL, LTC, and registration. Keep your hands on the wheel until he asks where your firearm is and pretty much keep them in sight until you're done.

-Gene

Larryect 10-13-2012 1:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosh (Post 9506020)
A co-worker / friend of mine did exactly this. He has a Texas CCW and was pulled over by (CA) police for a traffic violation (I'm not sure if it was Highway Patrol or city Police). After hearing the driver had a CCW, the cop stepped back and took a defensive / aggressive attitude as he asked where the weapon was.
When it was explained that he wasn't carrying, the cop said "what did you tell me that for!!??.

Some cops freak at the gun word. Why create un-necessary drama?

This is similar to what I would expect the reaction to be. They would naturally think there was a reason you brought it up. Not a good idea in my opinion.

donny douchebag 10-13-2012 1:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum (Post 9487789)
Of course not... stupid question..

Indeed. I had hope those of us who carry guns would be blessed with more common sense than most but I guess not.

OGKRacing 10-15-2012 2:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donny (Post 9510029)
Indeed. I had hope those of us who carry guns would be blessed with more common sense than most but I guess not.

Stupid question??? Common sense?? I'm an apprentice and journeyman always say that there arent any stupid questions coming from an apprentice or someone that doesnt have much knowledge in any particular field. To someone that's been there and done that its common sense. Duh!
He's asking because he doesnt know this! And neither would have i for that matter. instead of belittling his question and knowledge,I think as you guys being experienced calgunners you would want to give him better answers so he does make the right decisionwhen the situation arises.

winnre 10-15-2012 4:11 PM

I'd sooner show him my Blue Peter badge.

E Pluribus Unum 10-15-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OGKRacing (Post 9521312)
Stupid question??? Common sense?? I'm an apprentice and journeyman always say that there arent any stupid questions coming from an apprentice or someone that doesnt have much knowledge in any particular field. To someone that's been there and done that its common sense. Duh!
He's asking because he doesnt know this! And neither would have i for that matter. instead of belittling his question and knowledge,I think as you guys being experienced calgunners you would want to give him better answers so he does make the right decisionwhen the situation arises.

Shouldn't you be out looking for the skyhook?


Journeymen do their fair share of razzing the newbs.... so don't go there son. ;)

Librarian 10-16-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OGKRacing (Post 9521312)
Stupid question??? Common sense?? I'm an apprentice and journeyman always say that there arent any stupid questions coming from an apprentice or someone that doesnt have much knowledge in any particular field. To someone that's been there and done that its common sense. Duh!

He's asking because he doesnt know this! And neither would have i for that matter. instead of belittling his question and knowledge,I think as you guys being experienced calgunners you would want to give him better answers so he does make the right decision when the situation arises.

I generally agree with this. It takes a while to know enough to sift through the answers for the gold among the dross. And some folks just don't care for 'hazing the new guy'.

cruising7388 10-16-2012 9:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum (Post 9488830)
You'd be better off by telling him "I have a 2 inch penis"; both statements are irrelevant, but you might appeal to his "small man syndrome" and or he may feel sorry for you.

Or he may check to see if you're carrying it concealed.

paul0660 10-16-2012 9:52 AM

Hands on the wheel.

Quote:

stupid question....
Top ten candidate.

BigJ 10-16-2012 9:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarian (Post 9524951)
I generally agree with this. It takes a while to know enough to sift through the answers for the gold among the dross. And some folks just don't care for 'hazing the new guy'.

After reading CalGuns for a few years now, I'm convinced there are a lot of unhappy-with-life people out there. Picking on others here seems to make them feel better. Its kinda sad, really.

ElDub1950 10-16-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny1290 (Post 9487819)
That was my question exactly, Librarian.

His explanation was that telling police will possibly make them go easier on you, as in they're more likely to let you off a ticket if they know you're a ccw license holder.

Can't imagine why that would make anyone go easier on you.

CAN imagine why that would make some be a pain in the arse to you.

E Pluribus Unum 10-16-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJ (Post 9526418)
After reading CalGuns for a few years now, I'm convinced there are a lot of unhappy-with-life people out there. Picking on others here seems to make them feel better. Its kinda sad, really.

While I would generally agree with your comment, that is not the case.

Asking whether or not one should disclose out of state permits during a traffic stop is beyond common sense... which is the only reason I posted the "Stupid Question" comment. It was not to pick on anyone. I did not say statement like "you are an idiot" or the like. I simply made the statement it was a stupid question, which it was- no one has to take it personally.

jlbflyboy172 10-16-2012 11:32 PM

I don't know about the out of state thing but for in state CCW, I think there is some merit to letting the officer know by virtue (as previously stated) of handing over DL, Registration and CCW and let them ask the question. I don't advocate doing it in hopes of getting off but there is (in my opinion) a better chance that the officer will look at you as one of the good guys given that you have been vetted and trained. Secondly, the fact that you have a CCW is listed on page two of you driving record that the dispatcher can see if they go to page two. They don't always. But ... I would rather that the information be given to the officer under terms that are dictated by me as opposed to some dispatcher that may be new, distracted, alarmed or for some other reason. Suppose they communicate to the officer that you may be armed. Imagine how that may be heard, interpreted and acted upon. I would rather have that information under my control rather than from a stranger. I got pulled over once, did as described above. I didn't get a ticket and the officer thanked me SPECIFICALLY for informing him that I was carrying. He appreciated it.

So just because some people say never do it, and Duh and common sense dictates as such, there are two sides to every coin. Take all of the information given, press it through your own filters and do what makes the most sense to you.

skyscraper 10-17-2012 6:47 AM

It's about as relevant as what NFL team you like in a traffic stop.

BigJ 10-17-2012 7:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum (Post 9532652)
...which is the only reason I posted the "Stupid Question" comment. It was not to pick on anyone.

Why post at all? That's the point you're missing. Just because you think its a stupid question, doesn't mean it is. So if you don't have anything constructive to offer, how exactly does saying its a "stupid question" contribute to the conversation? The only benefit I can see is to make the asker feel dumb, and/or to make yourself feel smart. Either way, you come off as a dick and the point Lib is making stands.

Gryff 10-17-2012 7:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny1290 (Post 9487505)
My class was a bit unclear on this.

If I'm not transporting a weapon, (obviously I'm not carrying in CA)should I tell the police that I have OOS carry permits?

I don't know if it pops up in their computer or protocol is to tell them or not or what the deal is.

I don't want to annoy them by telling them for no reason, or for *not* telling them, you know?

Thanks in advance.

If you are not carrying a weapon, then it is none of their business. If you are carrying a concealed weapon, then the OOS permit is pointless since it has no bearing on your legal ability to carry here.

Don't say a word. In general, don't bring up gun issues to cops during traffic stops unless you are carrying legally with an LTC.

paul0660 10-17-2012 8:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 9533413)
It's about as relevant as what NFL team you like in a traffic stop.

This can make a difference.

E Pluribus Unum 10-17-2012 8:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJ (Post 9533536)
Why post at all? That's the point you're missing. Just because you think its a stupid question, doesn't mean it is. So if you don't have anything constructive to offer, how exactly does saying its a "stupid question" contribute to the conversation? The only benefit I can see is to make the asker feel dumb, and/or to make yourself feel smart. Either way, you come off as a dick and the point Lib is making stands.

I don't need edification at the sacrifice of others. If the OP were the one offended by my comment, I might have something else to say. Beings you or Lib are not the one "offended" I really don't see how it is any of your business. Are you guys becoming a couple hall monitors?

We are obviously diametrically opposed. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Quiet 10-17-2012 8:34 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PxMRlWpwfu...ally-Means.jpg

BigJ 10-17-2012 8:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum (Post 9533967)
I don't need edification at the sacrifice of others. If the OP were the one offended by my comment, I might have something else to say. Beings you or Lib are not the one "offended" I really don't see how it is any of your business. Are you guys becoming a couple hall monitors?

We are obviously diametrically opposed. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

You continue to prove the point better than I can. So it turns out we agree regardless of if you realize it or not. :)

Carry on.

skyscraper 10-18-2012 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul0660 (Post 9533831)
This can make a difference.

yeah, dont be a raider fan, or at least dont be open about it


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.