Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calgunners in Service (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Got broadsided with a surprise APFT last drill – I passed (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=625189)

Snoopy47 09-27-2012 12:02 PM

Got broadsided with a surprise APFT last drill – I passed
 
Can’t get rid of me this month Army…………….. hahahaha………

219 – not spectacular, not anywhere near close to failing.

The entire battalion has a test next month, and I will get to take it again if I want (which I will), but I wasn’t prepared for it when I got broadsided. The run has always been my weak point, so I’ve always been running the last few months. This time around it was my strong point, and my push/sit ups suffered because I slacked off on them, and my score fell because of it.

Next month I think I’m looking at a 250+

What made my stomach churn was there was this guy that was in my age bracket, and I told him he better keep up with me (as I wasn’t going to pass the run with a lot of leeway). By the first turn I had pulled a lot of distance on him. By time I made that last turn he was nowhere to be seen, and he failed by 2 minutes (I told you dude, you had to keep up with me, I only had 75 second left).

I hate the APFT, you’re basically watching people getting fired. I suppose they deserve it. The army doesn’t ask a lot to meet the minimum.

What blows me away is my unit keeps on top of these tests. How does one let themselves fall apart so much from one test to the next.

navycorpsman 09-27-2012 12:24 PM

Congrats in passing. Im glad your command is keeping up on these to downsize. Hey from day 1 in the military you are in charge of your career. For those that decieded to be fat, lazy and slobs I have no sympathy for when they get the boot. You have a standard to uphold that everyone knows from day 1. Its sux to watch maybe but dont feel bad for them.

Not trying to be mean but hey if your not fit to pass the easy minimums, then you dont belong in the uniform anymore

chris 09-27-2012 1:36 PM

congrats. dude so many Soldiers in my unit cannot pass a PT test for the life of them. i cannot understand why. as Squad Leader and well known in my unit i tell them all the time how to pass to the best of my ability. i view the PT test as an individual event that only you can pass and no one else. you either posses the drive to pass no matter what or not. the Army has standards meet them and then try to surpass them when you are ready to do so.

most of them cannot pass the run. heck i'm 41 and i run faster than some kids half my age. yeah it's not spectacular but my last run was 16:34 not bad for an old man :) . i tell them if i pass you . you are wrong.

as of now there are about 7 packets going up for PT failures. be proud that you passed and try to help those that are having trouble.

rero360 09-27-2012 1:49 PM

My unit is having an APFT next month, starting then, you fail 2 tests and they initiate the separation paperwork. I'll be one of the graders as my ankle is still healing from the fracture and I know I wouldn't be able to pass because of it. However, I've already started rehabing myself to start regaining strength in my ankle and leg, once the bone is fully healed and I get the blessing from the VA I can start work on speed and endurance.

The way I look at it, minus injuries and illness, you should be able to pass an APFT at any time with no real heads up, maybe a few hours notice, wouldn't want to take one after just eating a heavy meal.

I know if my chain of command sticks to the new guidelines of kicking people out for failing, and I think they will, then I can see maybe two people in my platoon getting the boot, and probably a dozen or so from the other platoons. Having administered the test a few times recently I know there are about that many who simply fail every single time, showing little to no improvement from one test to the next.

brando 09-27-2012 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy47 (Post 9408240)
What blows me away is my unit keeps on top of these tests. How does one let themselves fall apart so much from one test to the next.

That's unfortunately a symptom of the modern NG and Reserve. There are a LOT of soldiers on Reserve or Guard status who aren't prior service and pretty much only know IADT, drill and the occasional TDY. In many cases they haven't spent enough FULL time in the system to acquire the proper soldier lifestyle mindset which at the bare minimum says you need to be fit and proficient in your specialty. So they retain their civilian lifestyle and habits then attempt to conform to soldier standards on the weekends, which isn't all that demanding unless there is an APFT, ruck, qualification, etc (in other words, a test).

Most prior service soldiers have enough understanding of themselves to know when they need to focus on soldier skills because they are slipping out of the standards. Then again, I've seen prior service soldiers who don't take any of this **** seriously and just slack off, so perhaps it's as much a personal character issue?

chris 09-27-2012 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brando (Post 9409375)
Most prior service soldiers have enough understanding of themselves to know when they need to focus on soldier skills because they are slipping out of the standards. Then again, I've seen prior service soldiers who don't take any of this **** seriously and just slack off, so perhaps it's as much a personal character issue?

i'll go with the later of your statement. i've only been a Reservist my entire career and i know that i have to pass my PT test. i'm no PT stud but i pass consistantly and the only one i really failed was one after lunch and the whole unit bombed that one. man it was bad running after lunch even after a light meal.

blap59 09-27-2012 8:12 PM

Perfect, just as you should be doing.

The Army isn't trying to get rid of you. It's trying to get rid of the people who can't meet the standards, or stalled in their career. Meet and exceed the standards, progress, and your military career will be just fine.

Snoopy47 09-27-2012 9:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris (Post 9408793)
heck i'm 41 and i run faster than some kids half my age. yeah it's not spectacular but my last run was 16:34 not bad for an old man :)

I'm 40. So we are in the same scoring bracket. I did a 17:01. So you have the same sense of who's screwed or not during the run. If they are behind me and younger, then they are screwed................... I can't stress enough to some of them they cannot be behind me.

Oh, and if our officers fail they are relieved from command the first time, and then chaptered like everyone else the second time.

chris 09-27-2012 9:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy47 (Post 9411643)
I'm 40. So we are in the same scoring bracket. I did a 17:01. So you have the same sense of who's screwed or not during the run. If they are behind me and younger, then they are screwed................... I can't stress enough to some of them they cannot be behind me.

Oh, and if our officers fail they are relieved from command the first time, and then chaptered like everyone else the second time.

yeah dude. and my scores change in february so this is the last one at this age group. even though i have 18:18 to do my run in i don't mess around. i want mine over and done with and passed so i don't have to take diagnostics every month. that sucks.

C.W.M.V. 09-27-2012 9:48 PM

This is a part of the Army I never really saw.
All my units had an "enhanced" standard. If you scored below a 260 you failed according to Battalion.
Sure they couldn't do anything like reduction/separation as you met army standard, but you got to do remedial PT with some of the psycho triple canopy guys.
I don't think that held true for the HQ's guys but in the line companies this was enforced.

rero360 09-27-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.W.M.V. (Post 9411855)
This is a part of the Army I never really saw.
All my units had an "enhanced" standard. If you scored below a 260 you failed according to Battalion.
Sure they couldn't do anything like reduction/separation as you met army standard, but you got to do remedial PT with some of the psycho triple canopy guys.
I don't think that held true for the HQ's guys but in the line companies this was enforced.

It was the same for me when I was infantry, in fact for like the first eight years I was in I thought the minimum was 70 on each event.

Rscan925 09-27-2012 10:49 PM

Congrats on passing the surprise test. I had my AF PFT today as well and passed. Feels good to get it out the way

Scuba Steve33 09-28-2012 2:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.W.M.V. (Post 9411855)
This is a part of the Army I never really saw.
All my units had an "enhanced" standard. If you scored below a 260 you failed according to Battalion.
Sure they couldn't do anything like reduction/separation as you met army standard, but you got to do remedial PT with some of the psycho triple canopy guys.
I don't think that held true for the HQ's guys but in the line companies this was enforced.

Same here. It's an infantry standard, not an Army one. If you failed one you took another three days later and if you couldn't pass that one you were sent to an S-shop. If you passed the second and stayed in a line you were on remedial PT forever. I hated having to run remedial for the fatties. Luckily a lot of those guys eventually washed out too. You should max push ups and sit ups, those are easy. The run is the hardest for most people but doing sprints will increase your run speed.

The APFT is a joke on its own and the fact that we've been at war for over a decade doesn't help with maintaining the standards.

Matt1984 09-29-2012 10:22 PM

It's the ARMY, basic requirement to pass your APFT, when I was on active unit standard 270 or above. If you didn't meet that standard you where on special POP PT. The army's basic standard is easy 180 60 in each event. Some of the guys in my guard unit can't pass on that. My basic instruction as a leader are simple. As a NCO I will help you meet the standard, but at the same time we are in the guard so you also need to want to meet the standard. If they don't want to put forth the effort I will assist that Soldier in his/her chapter paper work. This is the United States Army, thanks for your time and service, BUT obviously its something that 1)either you do not want to do because you do not want to meet the standard 2) you have a medical condition that either you have a profile for or the army sees you unfit for duty. We are soldier, we should be able to pass a APFT any time, any day.


Besides my tangent, congrats

CavTrooper 09-30-2012 7:39 AM

A 219 eh? Thats pretty disgraceful. Id be embarrased if I were you, thats barely scoring a 70 in each event.

Did you take a break on the run? Have a broken ankle? Do one armed pushups? Give the profiles a 1 minute head start on every event?

A Soldier should be able to hit 80-90 points in each event any day of the week. Anything less than a 260 in my platoon and Ill be helping you get back in shape.

That sh*t is unacceptable.

Snoopy47 09-30-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CavTrooper (Post 9424868)
.

That sh*t is unacceptable.

But not dischargable…………….

Scuba Steve33 09-30-2012 1:11 PM

You sound like one of my joes that would just meet the requirements and be happy about it. I'm actually surprised people are congratulating you. It's a PT test. It's a requirement. That's like me bragging about arriving to work on time or taking care of my kids if I had any. You're supposed to do those things. Also, how do you get broadsided by something that is required to pass at any time? I don't mean to sound like a dick but that comment brought back memories of joes who never did more than the bare minimum.

Snoopy47 09-30-2012 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve33 (Post 9426483)
I don't mean to sound like a dick but that comment brought back memories of joes who never did more than the bare minimum.

What can I say. I have a much different mentality having entered BCT at 39 with a master’s degree and police academy behind me. I entered BCT with a 270 APFT, and I exited AIT with a 267. I had high school grads grading my written research papers in AIT, and I had Drill Sgt’s contradicting each other in how to zero my rifle.

My passing the APFT means I get to continue using power point and giving briefings. It doesn’t mean I get to lead ruck marches and repel out of helicopters.

CavTrooper 09-30-2012 3:29 PM

YOURE 40???!! Holy sh*t, reading all youre whining and complaining posts over the last few months, Id swear you were a papered teenage brat. Wow.... just... wow.

thebloodsonthewall 10-01-2012 1:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CavTrooper (Post 9424868)
A 219 eh? Thats pretty disgraceful. Id be embarrased if I were you, thats barely scoring a 70 in each event.

Did you take a break on the run? Have a broken ankle? Do one armed pushups? Give the profiles a 1 minute head start on every event?

A Soldier should be able to hit 80-90 points in each event any day of the week. Anything less than a 260 in my platoon and Ill be helping you get back in shape.

That sh*t is unacceptable.


The average in my last platoon was 260ish. If you were below the average, life sucked for you.

chris 10-01-2012 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CavTrooper (Post 9427190)
YOURE 40???!! Holy sh*t, reading all youre whining and complaining posts over the last few months, Id swear you were a papered teenage brat. Wow.... just... wow.

hey 40 sucks dude. if your not there you don't know. your body changes quite a bit.

CavTrooper 10-01-2012 4:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris (Post 9433242)
hey 40 sucks dude. if your not there you don't know. your body changes quite a bit.

36 here, I know the pains, but I make it a point to do as good or better than the young bucks in my platoon.

chris 10-01-2012 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CavTrooper (Post 9433800)
36 here, I know the pains, but I make it a point to do as good or better than the young bucks in my platoon.

yep. like i said i'm no PT stud. being 6' 2" it's not fun. the knees are holding out pretty well. i do run once a week and i tell the troops to do the same. they never listen.

just wait til 40 man and you'll notice the difference it truly sucks.

chris 10-01-2012 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve33 (Post 9415755)
The run is the hardest for most people but doing sprints will increase your run speed.

an old CW4 used to tell us that running in short sprints will help out your run over time.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve33 (Post 9415755)
The APFT is a joke on its own and the fact that we've been at war for over a decade doesn't help with maintaining the standards.

the APFT is not a joke. what is a joke is that commanders were not using it to get rid of people that is the joke. now that the wars are winding down they are doing it again. the APFT will get rid of alot of people quickly IF the commanders push the paperwork.

chozenfew805 10-01-2012 9:39 PM

Please do not take this the wrong way and I might be doing a little venting in this post because of having to deal with some POS reserves this past excercise! Good job on passing but I can't congratulate you because REGARDLESS of what branch, active, or reserve you should be within standards no matter what!!!!!

I went to Afghanistan in 09 with a Navy Unit and performed a PRT(Physical Readiness Test) and smoked it! 10min 1 1/2 mile, 95 situps, and 105 push ups all with less than 1 week in country.

IrishJoe3 10-01-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy47 (Post 9426797)
What can I say. I have a much different mentality having entered BCT at 39 with a master’s degree and police academy behind me. I entered BCT with a 270 APFT, and I exited AIT with a 267. I had high school grads grading my written research papers in AIT, and I had Drill Sgt’s contradicting each other in how to zero my rifle.

My passing the APFT means I get to continue using power point and giving briefings. It doesn’t mean I get to lead ruck marches and repel out of helicopters.

You're a Specialist, aren't you?

Scuba Steve33 10-01-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris (Post 9435557)
an old CW4 used to tell us that running in short sprints will help out your run over time.

the APFT is not a joke. what is a joke is that commanders were not using it to get rid of people that is the joke. now that the wars are winding down they are doing it again. the APFT will get rid of alot of people quickly IF the commanders push the paperwork.

It's no joke. Do sprints and your regular running will go through the roof. I love them because it's the only real total body workout. Even your pecs get a workout when you sprint. Plus unlike running you are done with a set in a very short time. Running for miles which takes a long time in comparison can be mentally draining.

I agree the issue is with COC. I meant the standards for the APFT are a joke. I'm not a fan of the test itself either. I believe it should have sprints rather than a two mile run. Pull ups instead of sit ups, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 (Post 9436604)
You're a Specialist, aren't you?

I see what you did there.

chris 10-02-2012 9:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve33 (Post 9436645)
It's no joke. Do sprints and your regular running will go through the roof. I love them because it's the only real total body workout. Even your pecs get a workout when you sprint. Plus unlike running you are done with a set in a very short time. Running for miles which takes a long time in comparison can be mentally draining.

My weekly run has improved the last 2 weeks. I use the run keeper app on my phone from Sept 4 to Sep 25 I dropped 1.5 minutes for my 2.5 mile run I for every week. Its usually around 23:58 was on 9/4 and last week was 22:26.

Not bad for an old man :). I was running in that heatwave we had. It took time to get used to it. Some days I had run in the PX real quick to get a drink. Its a good improvement in a month. But consistantly running does help.

LOW2000 10-02-2012 1:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve33 (Post 9436645)
It's no joke. Do sprints and your regular running will go through the roof. I love them because it's the only real total body workout. Even your pecs get a workout when you sprint. Plus unlike running you are done with a set in a very short time. Running for miles which takes a long time in comparison can be mentally draining.

I agree the issue is with COC. I meant the standards for the APFT are a joke. I'm not a fan of the test itself either. I believe it should have sprints rather than a two mile run. Pull ups instead of sit ups, etc.



I see what you did there.

+1 on this, I did nothing longer than a mile between a couple triathlons that were 3 months apart, and in that time, just from CrossFit, my 5K time dropped by 15min.

STiiBS 11-13-2012 7:35 PM

Old or young, you should be able to pass a PT Test ANY day of the week. Failing a PT Test or "Barely" passing is an extremely poor reflection of the individual's lack of character and discipline.

It is the Soldier's responsibility to be prepared for duty by being conditioned and in shape during the period of enlistment. You VOLUNTEERED for duty and swore an oath to our Country to defend it from all enemies, Foreign & Domestic. You can't do that if you're in piss poor shape and gassed from humping your actual combat load (Live Ammo, Water, Plates, TA50). There's a reason we as Soldiers are expected to be conditioned and in shape and pass a damn simple PT Test. 219 is "Barely" passing and a Fail in my book. 219 means you'll be at the back of the pack always slowing the squad down. 219 means you'll be "that Guy" who always gets injured and can't complete a movement or march.

219 is NOT Combat Effective and is a BIGTIME NO-GO.

It kills me to see Soldiers not take their Physical Conditioning more seriously, PT should be approached positively as a lifestyle choice rather than being a hindrance. Soldiers like you are a liability, not an asset and in my opinion and should just be chaptered out of the Military.

If you don't want to PT or don't want to be "Broadsided" with PT Tests, just ask to be chaptered out. A 219 PT score is not doing you, the Unit, the Military any service or justice because it just tells me and everyone reading your post that you don't care.

BTW, I'm one of the old farts in my Unit and I smoke the young bucks in every event because I give a damn.

GET DOWN OR LAY DOWN.

TAK 11-13-2012 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STiiBS (Post 9718302)
Old or young, you should be able to pass a PT Test ANY day of the week. Failing a PT Test or "Barely" passing is an extremely poor reflection of the individual's lack of character and discipline.

It is the Soldier's responsibility to be prepared for duty by being conditioned and in shape during the period of enlistment. You VOLUNTEERED for duty and swore an oath to our Country to defend it from all enemies, Foreign & Domestic. You can't do that if you're in piss poor shape and gassed from humping your actual combat load (Live Ammo, Water, Plates, TA50). There's a reason we as Soldiers are expected to be conditioned and in shape and pass a damn simple PT Test. 219 is "Barely" passing and a Fail in my book. 219 means you'll be at the back of the pack always slowing the squad down. 219 means you'll be "that Guy" who always gets injured and can't complete a movement or march.

219 is NOT Combat Effective and is a BIGTIME NO-GO.

It kills me to see Soldiers not take their Physical Conditioning more seriously, PT should be approached positively as a lifestyle choice rather than being a hindrance. Soldiers like you are a liability, not an asset and in my opinion and should just be chaptered out of the Military.

If you don't want to PT or don't want to be "Broadsided" with PT Tests, just ask to be chaptered out. A 219 PT score is not doing you, the Unit, the Military any service or justice because it just tells me and everyone reading your post that you don't care.

BTW, I'm one of the old farts in my Unit and I smoke the young bucks in every event because I give a damn.

GET DOWN OR LAY DOWN.

I'm a young fart and I couldn't agree more with this.

ljcraig0804 11-14-2012 2:43 AM

Good thing you aren't in my unit, no old fart beats me at anything...
How far do you run for your army pt test? 22 minutes sounds like an average 3 mi time but somehow I don't think it is 3 mi...
Just be thankful you don't essentially have 2 different pt tests to take.
I ace my physical requirements because I never strive to just get by with the bare minimum, mama raised me better than that.

docsmileyface 11-14-2012 8:12 AM

Pfft all you guys need to do is get two herniated discs and nerve damage and get a class 3 profile like me and you'll never fail the pt test ever again. All I have to do is pushups and walk 2.5 miles in like 36 minutes.

Decoligny 11-14-2012 2:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy47 (Post 9408240)
Can’t get rid of me this month Army…………….. hahahaha………

219 – not spectacular, not anywhere near close to failing.

The entire battalion has a test next month, and I will get to take it again if I want (which I will), but I wasn’t prepared for it when I got broadsided. The run has always been my weak point, so I’ve always been running the last few months. This time around it was my strong point, and my push/sit ups suffered because I slacked off on them, and my score fell because of it.

Next month I think I’m looking at a 250+

What made my stomach churn was there was this guy that was in my age bracket, and I told him he better keep up with me (as I wasn’t going to pass the run with a lot of leeway). By the first turn I had pulled a lot of distance on him. By time I made that last turn he was nowhere to be seen, and he failed by 2 minutes (I told you dude, you had to keep up with me, I only had 75 second left).

I hate the APFT, you’re basically watching people getting fired. I suppose they deserve it. The army doesn’t ask a lot to meet the minimum.

What blows me away is my unit keeps on top of these tests. How does one let themselves fall apart so much from one test to the next.

My Air Force squadron has QFTs Quarterly Fitness Tests. They don't qualify for the annual test, but they allow the monitoring of who needs work, and then the supervision sets up workout routines to help improve the areas in need.

TAK 11-14-2012 2:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljcraig0804 (Post 9720108)
Good thing you aren't in my unit, no old fart beats me at anything...
How far do you run for your army pt test? 22 minutes sounds like an average 3 mi time but somehow I don't think it is 3 mi...
Just be thankful you don't essentially have 2 different pt tests to take.
I ace my physical requirements because I never strive to just get by with the bare minimum, mama raised me better than that.

22 min isn't a very good 3 mile time either but definitely not failing 28 min.

I believe the army does 2 miles, so at 11 minutes a mile...well it's taking about twice as long as it should to run 2 miles haha

chris 11-14-2012 9:51 PM

i had an E6 in my platoon and the LT told the platoon SGT he needs a needs improve on his NCOER for scoring 180 on his PT test. i laughed when i saw that one. the LT was not happy with his PT score.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.