Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Ladies Forum (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   NRA Life Members ! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=624070)

BonnieB 09-24-2012 4:06 PM

NRA Life Members !

Who on the Women's Forum is an NRA Life Member?

I am. I just got mine, actually it was given to me as a gift. SacValley Shooting Center requires an NRA membership, which finally motivated me.

What do people know about the courses NRA offers, what are the best discounts to look up?

babe 09-24-2012 4:43 PM

I didn't know they let women into the NRA! :smartass:

Bugguts 09-24-2012 5:10 PM

I have to be honest, we are not NRA members. I see the NRA as somewhat like the AMA. They are there for certain gun owners, just as the AMA is there mainly for the off-road motorcyclists. They don't protect the rights of all gun owners and they have their pet projects so we donate as we see fit to groups that fight for what is right for everyone, not just specialty interests. YMMV

Bugguts 09-24-2012 5:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babe (Post 9389171)
I didn't know they let women into the NRA! :smartass:

That's the IRA :p

EmmaGoldman 09-24-2012 6:13 PM

Not a member. As long as the NRA continues to support "pro-gun" candidates who would like to see queers like me stoned in the public square, while opposing anyone progressive, regardless how pro-gun they are, I will go out of my way to avoid giving the NRA a dime. As long as they encourage fantasy paranoia about "gun grabbers" while failing to provide real support to the 2A freedoms of everyday Americans, I will discourage others from giving them money.

No thanks :)

Bugguts 09-24-2012 6:32 PM

I would like to see queers like you stoned too. Preferably next to me at a Pink Floyd reunion(ok, can't happen, RIP Rick Wright) concert. EVERYONE is stoned there! ;)

8bitnintendo 09-24-2012 7:29 PM

I am, but my dad was a member so my baby brother and I got the discounted rate. I have not been motivated to donate above that yet (I keep getting mailings about all sorts of higher tiers) because I haven't looked into what they're doing for California gun owners, I have many other charities I support, and I'm kind of annoyed at how much junk mail they send.

movie zombie 09-24-2012 8:07 PM

not me.

CBlacksheep 09-24-2012 10:24 PM

My sister is a Life Member. I believe her boyfriend bought her the membership package but I'm pretty sure she got pissy about it not being a real gift. Ungrateful Gorgon.

masameet 09-24-2012 10:25 PM

Nope. On the last year of a 5-year membership.

BonnieB 09-24-2012 11:25 PM

Do we not like the NRA? Do they actually act against GLTB folks? I wouldn't tolerate that at all. I got it as a gift from a friend. Now I'm wondering if I did the right thing, letting him buy it.

Is there actual controversy about the way they support 2A rights?

JeanP 10-18-2012 2:55 PM

NRA

To BonnieB, I am a NRA Life Member. The only one in my family of hunters and shooters. The only woman to own handguns in my family, too. I joined because I have watched our 2nd Amendment rights go down hill for the last 40 years. As to your question about NRA programs, look into their shooting classes. They are very informative and fun. I don't know what you shoot, but the Basic Pistol Course is very valuable, if you've never taken a class before. Rifle and shotgun classes are great, too. If you are interested in concealed carry they have a good class for that, too.

savannah 10-18-2012 5:20 PM

I am an NRA mamber, but not a lifer.

Lone_Wolfe 10-21-2012 6:34 PM

The NRA is far from perfect, but they are the 800# elephant of the gun lobby.

I'm a life member myself, a Benefactor.

JoeJinKY 10-21-2012 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8bitnintendo (Post 9390245)
I haven't looked into what they're doing for California gun owners, .

Why should the NRA do ANYTHING for California gun owners when your state (not YOU specifically) keep re-electing Feinstein, Boxer, Pulosi, Brown and all of the other gun grabbing liberal loons?

God (and the NRA) helps those who help themselves!

8bitnintendo 10-22-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeJinKY (Post 9563195)
Why should the NRA do ANYTHING for California gun owners when your state (not YOU specifically) keep re-electing Feinstein, Boxer, Pulosi, Brown and all of the other gun grabbing liberal loons?

God (and the NRA) helps those who help themselves!

Cool, well in that case, I guess I should "help myself" by keeping money I would otherwise donate to the NRA and instead use it to support local causes.

mcmikeblues7 10-29-2012 6:10 PM

I am not a life member. But yesterday, I renewed my youth membership for two years and donated 2 extra dollars. I think this year is important.

movie zombie 10-29-2012 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8bitnintendo (Post 9566855)
Cool, well in that case, I guess I should "help myself" by keeping money I would otherwise donate to the NRA and instead use it to support local causes.

can't argue with that one.