Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   One step closer, many steps further away (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=614645)

kermit315 08-30-2012 4:47 PM

One step closer, many steps further away

Hey guys,

I got called for an interview next week. I already did PATS, polygraph, etc. I got my certification last fall.

The problem is that I xfer out of Florida in October for Virginia. I want to be a reserve deputy to build experience, but the hiring process is taking so long that it is not looking like it might happen in time.

I talked to the CAPT that runs the reserves, and he said if I am hired and sworn before I leave, they will put me on .mil leave until I xfer back. I can do my block training, at least most of it, online, and schedule leave around the rest as long as I am not on deployment. If that doesnt happen, I have to talk to FDLE and see if they will freeze my standards, otherwise they will expire prior to me getting back to Florida, then I wasted 7 months of shore duty time with hours the remind a person of deployment.

My family is staying in Florida, so its not like I wont be here. I just hope this works like we want it to.

Anyway, not really a rant, but a vent.

Thanks for reading.

Ubermcoupe 08-30-2012 10:00 PM

Stick with it and best of luck Kermit! :thumbsup:

kermit315 08-31-2012 3:35 PM

Dont worry, I am. I am not the quitting type. I am going to try to get in with an agency in VA also, but AUX/Reserve units up there are rarer than hens teeth for anybody but retirees that want to keep current.

kermit315 10-05-2012 6:16 PM

I do my psych test monday. That is the last step before hiring on with this agency. I talked to the CAPT again, and he said he wants me regardless of me transferring. So, either I will swear in next week before I leave, or in December when I am home on leave.

kermit315 10-08-2012 2:17 PM

passed psych. Was told to just wait for the commander to review everything to get my hiring date.

Then, I talked to the CAPT. He said with the new changes upstairs, they might not be able to do the reserve/LOA that he had planned on doing. Waiting for a call back from a different commander tomorrow to find out what we can do.

This sucks. I really hope I didnt waste 7 months of shore duty time putting myself through the academy to have it all wash away and have to do it again in 4 years.

retired 10-08-2012 5:07 PM

I hope things work out for you.

kermit315 10-08-2012 5:18 PM

Thanks. The worst part is that I am part of a military augmentee unit. It's purpose when it was started was to get military members a taste of LE life to determine if it was a route they wanted to pursue in before they got out. We were supposed to get bumped up in the hiring process because of our volunteer time with them, but it has taken me almost a year to get this far because somebody in HR sat on my original app. I am aggravated because I have done everything they asked me to, and they are changing it up at the end.

It is what it is, but damn its frustrating. It sucks to have a hiring date and not be able to use it because somebody in HR sat on their *** for 6 months and buried my original application.

Like I said, we will see what happens. I still have to talk to that commander tomorrow, and still might be able to get FDLE to freeze my standards in light of a hiring offer from ECSO.

/vent

kermit315 10-10-2012 9:24 AM

Oh the roller coaster that is this experience. Talked to the Commander today, and he said they are still planning on swearing me in. They are looking at what all they have to do to keep my standards active while I am out of state. In the end, he feels it is something that will get done, just not before Saturday morning. Most likely when I come back for Christmas.

The conversation put a little pep in my step anyway.

kermit315 10-16-2012 3:50 PM

Talked to HR and the commander today: I swear in in December when I get home.

Thank you all for letting me vent/post about my experience here, and to those that I have PM'd with questions.

retired 10-17-2012 8:27 PM

Great news! Kudos to you for pursuing what you wanted. Let us know how it works out when the time comes.

kermit315 10-18-2012 10:37 AM

definitely

kermit315 12-13-2012 7:40 AM

Sorry to necro my own thread, but it is approaching Christmas time. My swear in date is 19DEC12. Cant wait, and I am extremely glad things worked out the way they did.

:jump:

SoCalDep 12-13-2012 8:19 AM

Congratulations!

kermit315 01-01-2013 7:36 AM

I realize that I am terrible about updating this, but I did indeed swear in on the 19th, as planned. One of the happiest days of my life. Felt awesome being issued my gear. Now I need to pick up a new Glock.