Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calgunners in Service (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Finally have an appointment for the VA hopsital (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=609347)

45DAVID1 08-17-2012 5:33 AM

Finally have an appointment for the VA hopsital

It only took 4 months to get one. I meet with a case manager, Primary doctor, LCSW, and psychiatrist. Now, what should I expect?:confused:

Comcam 08-17-2012 8:02 AM

Is this your first time meeting your primary care doc? Hmm come to think of it I guess it did take me a couple months to see mine at first.

Now you can expect months of waiting for appointments! hahah

boltmopar 08-17-2012 4:55 PM

They will tell you it takes three hours but it will be less. The primary doctor will do a preliminary exam. They will takes vitals and ask what r your concerns. They will also schedule you for anything you may need. If you have problem with hearing, they will have audiology contact you.

The psychiatrist will ask you some screening questions and provide you with another appointment about three months out.They will also prescribe you anything you may need.

The social worker will ask you post deployment and employment questions. If you are working it should not be long.

The case worker will just go over all available help and services for you.

NastyNate 08-17-2012 5:06 PM

I would make a laundry list of items that you are going to be planning to claim. I would also advise that you include EVERYTHING that you can think of on that list. Remember, in order to be service connected, conditions or injuries only have to have started while in service, it matters not whether it was in the line of duty.

Take said laundry list to your appt, get it all on paper right away, this will help when it comes time to file any claims. Your doc will then set up the consults for the different clinics that handle different conditions. Don't no show/no call, it looks bad to the people processing claims. Try to make/go to as many appts as possible, the more evidence and history you have of treatment for conditions, the more your claim is justified. If you can't make it, call to reschedule, try to reschedule at least 24 hours in advance so that another Vet can have that appt slot.

Good luck brother!

boltmopar 08-17-2012 5:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NastyNate (Post 9152730)
If you can't make it, call to reschedule, try to reschedule at least 24 hours in advance so that another Vet can have that appt slot.

Good luck brother!

That's from the appointment reminder card.

freonr22 08-17-2012 5:17 PM

Are you going to get fixed?

45DAVID1 08-17-2012 5:25 PM

I'm in the process of getting better. I don't think I will ever be "fixed" but life will hopefully get more manageable.

todd2968 08-18-2012 9:08 AM

Expect the worst hope for the best

45DAVID1 08-18-2012 4:35 PM

What the heck does a GAF score of 53 mean?

boltmopar 08-18-2012 4:51 PM

I think it means how disabled you are.

http://www.gafscore.com/

45DAVID1 08-18-2012 4:57 PM

I'm in the middle then. Not completely screwed up but not 100% healthy. Thanks. Now I need to file a claim for everything else.

boltmopar 08-19-2012 8:15 AM

Make sure to empathize how much you have to adjust to get through each day.

llamatrnr 08-19-2012 1:42 PM

Pick up a copy of "The Veterans' Survival Guide" or see if your library will get it for you.

The good news is that your claim will be retroactive from the day you file; it will take 14 months or so before your first check arrives, but it will be a fat one.

Hang in there, David; they really are on our side . . .

6mmintl 08-20-2012 6:32 AM

Hang in there, it will get better.

Keep telling yourself "if you made it thru the **** you can make it through anything".

golfrj 09-16-2012 3:05 PM

Once setup, you can transfer to the smaller Primary Care office in Corona IF it's closer.. But to see the Shrink you have to sit with the Druggies. (same waiting area).. (Don't Ask)..

frankm 09-23-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45DAVID1 (Post 9152829)
I'm in the process of getting better. I don't think I will ever be "fixed" but life will hopefully get more manageable.

I just read about this, maybe it helps?

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...ntcmp=features

Lipov said the procedure works in 70 percent of patients, and they show at least 50 percent improvement in symptoms.

blackrifle242 10-01-2012 8:55 PM

I submitted my claim on April 24th. Still nothing. Finally got a live person on the phone with no help. I have already had to go to the ER to get cut opena nd drain fluid on my spine. I have surgery scheduled for oct 19th to have multiple cyst removed from my spine (caused by traumatic injury while on active duty). I don't have insurance and when I talked to the VA and informed them of the situation, they told me once I had the surgery, to fill out paperwork for temp disability. The process is very confusing.