Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   CGSSA Range Cleanups (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Glass Factory Clean-Up (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=593417)

KidnK9s 07-09-2012 1:45 PM

Glass Factory Clean-Up

Hey Troops,

I'm working on a clean-up for Saturday July 28th. Once again Marborg will back us up and I also hope to have local TV News there to offer some free publicity.

There is, however, the realization that the range will be closed down by months end due to extremely HIGH FIRE conditions. There is nothing we can do about this. We have been lucky over the past several years that due to OUR mothering of the range, that have allowed us to shoot.

There is a chance that if I can get a new fire-break cut, they might let us continue until further notice.

Thanx for all of your support...!

Craig
KidnK9s@cox.net

ckprax 07-10-2012 2:04 PM

Awesome, I'll have to check my schedule but that should work for me.

TwinStick 07-10-2012 3:44 PM

Damn, I'll be in Portland that weekend. Next time...

gtturborex 07-10-2012 10:05 PM

July 28th should be good for me.

Capybara 07-11-2012 5:01 PM

If they close the range, when do they usually allow it to be re-opened? After first rains or do they have a set month?

gtturborex 07-12-2012 8:32 AM

I think it is after the rains begin.

Come on guys' we need more help...

Capybara 07-12-2012 11:25 AM

Craig:

Any chance of that fire break being cut?

Dakine_surf 07-12-2012 1:48 PM

I think I can make it... I have a triathlon the day after, but I will be down! Anything to help!

KidnK9s 07-13-2012 7:53 PM

Glass Factory Clean-up

I need a head count for the clean-up... Not sure if a Fire Crew will be available until a few days before... I'm getting feed back from my local guys and most will not make it.

So let me know A.S.A.P...!

Thanx,

Craig

Rusty Scabbard 07-14-2012 10:02 AM

80 % sure I can show up. If not travelling, I'll be there.

gtturborex 07-14-2012 12:23 PM

In +1...

Let's work out the details for food and such as well.

Also if we can get that tractor from that local guy that would be awesome.

dougolupski 07-16-2012 11:39 AM

I am in so long as I am not traveling as well.

Doug

Deadbolt 07-16-2012 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougolupski (Post 8939657)
I am in so long as I am not traveling as well.

Doug

basically this for me as well - i have some nagging feeling that the 28th i have something but my calendar isn't showing anything so who knows... put me down for 1 tentative - Nope - damn :

I have a work function I need to be present for on the 28th. I could do the 29th tho.

gtturborex 07-18-2012 3:24 PM

Hey Craig,

What's the arrangement with Marborg for this cleanup? Our last cleanup we filled two dumpsters and still had plenty trash left for more. We left a huge pile of trash on the lower portion of the range that might take more than one dumpster itself.

If we could get the first two delivered early in the morning that would be great.

KidnK9s 07-18-2012 7:07 PM

Glass Factory Clean-up For July 28th - Cancelled

I've made the rounds and have no confidence in enough bodies to assist in this clean-up.

We'll have to get through August and plan one for early Fall. If by chance the range falls into closure for the fire-season, we can still have a clean-up, but no shooting and that, I feel, will yield even a lower turn-out.

As for the number of dumpsters, I can get up to 6 in a day, but I must be calling ahead to keep the turn-around going. We might have an easier time of arranging a tractor, fire-crew, etc... in the Fall.

As for the range improvements:

The video system is out due to high cost and bureaucratic paper-work.

New/more shooting tables... forget it, I will not bring anymore in for IDIOTS to blow the legs off.

Covered firing line awning, see above.

I might, however place metal silhouette targets, out at certain distances.

So that sit fore now. Comments welcome. Have a great summer and play safe.

Thanx,

Craig

gtturborex 07-18-2012 7:11 PM

I'm in even if there is no shooting. Buuuuut... I'm out all of Aug until the 25th.

automatikdonn 07-19-2012 6:00 AM

Having the local news crew there is a really bad idea, they are going to twist that into a story that says gun owners trash the land.

Deadbolt 07-19-2012 8:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidnK9s (Post 8956265)
I've made the rounds and have no confidence in enough bodies to assist in this clean-up.

We'll have to get through August and plan one for early Fall. If by chance the range falls into closure for the fire-season, we can still have a clean-up, but no shooting and that, I feel, will yield even a lower turn-out.

As for the number of dumpsters, I can get up to 6 in a day, but I must be calling ahead to keep the turn-around going. We might have an easier time of arranging a tractor, fire-crew, etc... in the Fall.

As for the range improvements:

The video system is out due to high cost and bureaucratic paper-work.
not to mention would probably fall into the next concern...
New/more shooting tables... forget it, I will not bring anymore in for IDIOTS to blow the legs off.
dig
Covered firing line awning, see above.
dig
I might, however place metal silhouette targets, out at certain distances.
On this note - what about if one of us ( I can volunteer) assists with this and builds "concrete sinks" -- basically make a large hole, take the steel plate, put a 90degree bend in the bottom (or tack on some reebar - I dont weld but i have a buddy that does and owes me a favor) and then fill the 1-2foot cube hole w/ cement? Works great for outdoor motorcycle lock chocks - this would prevent theft of the plates
So that sit fore now. Comments welcome. Have a great summer and play safe.

Thanx,

Craig

comments in red

Dakine_surf 07-19-2012 1:52 PM

^ I too could help with the targets... in fact I have a buddy who might be down to help as well... He has a welder and is a forum member.

Deadbolt 07-19-2012 2:54 PM

nice - if you can furnish the welder ill cover cement and reebar ( bending reebar is a lot easier than bending plate steel lol but we'll need something to do that as well - i dont have a garage anymore :( )

KidnK9s 07-19-2012 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automatikdonn (Post 8958299)
Having the local news crew there is a really bad idea, they are going to twist that into a story that says gun owners trash the land.

I had the news crew there last year and it was a big success for us... It was a clear representation of US SHOOTERS actively taking part in the care of the range environment.

winslowgirl 07-20-2012 9:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidnK9s (Post 8898577)
There is, however, the realization that the range will be closed down by months end due to extremely HIGH FIRE conditions.

Does anyone know if the Glass Factory is still open now?

DiogiDoc 07-20-2012 10:44 PM

Was open last weekend

Drove up last Sat the 14th at 11 am. Was about 20 cars there. People even had EZ ups. Looked like an accident waiting to happen. U-turn, went to the driving range instead.

Deadbolt 07-22-2012 5:44 PM

EZ ups are a clear sign of wanton mayhem - if only HLS would update their pdfs

./rollingeyes

Deadbolt 07-22-2012 5:45 PM

also - cement stationed targets probably arent in the forest services' doctine

"so i would be really remiss if some put some at 50, 75, 125 and 200 yards"

really, id be super bummed

Nate 07-22-2012 6:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadbolt (Post 8980691)
EZ ups are a clear sign of wanton mayhem - if only HLS would update their pdfs

./rollingeyes

Really? The last time Craig and I went up in June, we put one up. It was a quiet day while we were there. We got there a little after 10am, and left around 2pm.

Deadbolt 07-22-2012 7:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate (Post 8980887)
Really? The last time Craig and I went up in June, we put one up. It was a quiet day while we were there. We got there a little after 10am, and left around 2pm.

Comedy and sarcasm is lost on all in the Santa Barbara area. We're 100% seriously 150% of the time

:chris:

DiogiDoc 07-23-2012 3:16 PM

All those EZ-ups, I thought I was at a Carnival with 50+ people milling around. I think someone was selling deep fried twinkies and funnel cakes too.

dougolupski 07-23-2012 3:27 PM

Nope I wasnt selling funnel cakes this is Southern Cali we stay classy! Deep fried mozzarella.

It was organically produced from free range cows, with free trade labor in accordance with the latest hippy tree hugger rules and regulations.

Dakine_surf 07-25-2012 1:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadbolt (Post 8961376)
nice - if you can furnish the welder ill cover cement and reebar ( bending reebar is a lot easier than bending plate steel lol but we'll need something to do that as well - i dont have a garage anymore :( )

We could make that happen... I suck with a welder, but my buddy is decent. Sorry to hear about the garage... please tell me you have a covered space for your moto!

Deadbolt 07-25-2012 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakine_surf (Post 8999697)
We could make that happen... I suck with a welder, but my buddy is decent. Sorry to hear about the garage... please tell me you have a covered space for your moto!

theres probably an ordinance against what was proposed. In hindsight it was a bad idea. Id recommend against this ( putting cement anchored steel targets on BLM land )

unless we get signed consent from the forest service. If they are into it, then we're gold but ultimately im sure theres words in a book somewhere against some abstraction of what we are suggesting :(

Capybara 07-28-2012 4:25 PM

Went up to the Glass Factory last week on Thursday. Great weather, low 80s with a breeze. Besides the two guys I brought, we saw about 10 other shooters, a dad with some kids shooting .22s, a couple of guys shooting clays. We did bring an eazy up and some tables and chairs, I don't see a safety issue as long as you weight your eazy up so the wind won't blow it away.

Compared to some shooting areas I have seen, it wasn't too bad as far as trash. Yes, there was a lot of junk but I think a group of 10-20 people and half a dozen dumpsters could make that place sparkle in 4-6 hours. Except for the shotgun shells, there are literally thousands of them spread everywhere.

Shooters were safe, we called cease fires to change targets, "line is hot" when we were all ready to shoot.

I would definitely be up to help with the cleanup day, whenever you can organize it Craig and co.

Does anyone know if the range will still close for the fire season next week or if we may get a reprieve for the next month or so? Great range to shoot at and I made it there in a little over an hour. Nice to shoot at.

Deadbolt 07-28-2012 8:58 PM

if we can organize a thorough clean it will stay open, next week as a deadline seems unattainable though.

Capybara 07-29-2012 3:02 PM

Deadbolt, I don't understand what you wrote. Than range is supposedly closing for the fire season, not because there hasn't been a cleanup day? Even if it does close next week, we should organize the cleanup day/weekend soon.

I would definitely like to keep shooting there, it is far more enjoyable than most official ranges I shoot at.

Deadbolt 07-30-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capybara (Post 9025337)
Deadbolt, I don't understand what you wrote. Than range is supposedly closing for the fire season, not because there hasn't been a cleanup day? Even if it does close next week, we should organize the cleanup day/weekend soon.

I would definitely like to keep shooting there, it is far more enjoyable than most official ranges I shoot at.

Ahhh i see what you're saying. In past years we were able to have the range persist open - most likely because of a combo of more rain and clean ups. This seems like the first in several years that the range will be closed (for any reason )

winslowgirl 08-01-2012 1:06 PM

"There is, however, the realization that the range will be closed down by months end due to extremely HIGH FIRE conditions. There is nothing we can do about this. We have been lucky over the past several years that due to OUR mothering of the range, that have allowed us to shoot."

I was up there again the other day and still saw no notice warning of imminent closure. The OP does not say where this realization originated. What or who specifically is the source? Anyone?

Capybara 08-04-2012 5:01 PM

With yesterday's thunderstorms and the cool mornings we have had for the past month, perhaps we will get a reprieve and it will remain open for the rest of August?

dougolupski 08-04-2012 5:39 PM

Well it was open today and is now starting to look pretty junky.

Capybara 08-09-2012 5:45 PM

Yep, we need to do the cleanup. Craig or whomever organizes this with Marborg, etc. let me know when.

rdsr 08-11-2012 10:51 PM

Went up today 8/11 and it was closed.

Roy