Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   California handguns (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Purchased the Five Seven today (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=53760)

SteveInKA 04-01-2007 3:33 PM

Purchased the Five Seven today

After months of drooling over it and wanting it i finally purchased a FN Five Seven. Got it at Turner's Outdoorsman, ended up costing $1167 otd. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Do any of you guys who go to the range in the Angeles Nat'l Forest know if i'm able to shoot this gun at the range? Living in Kalifornistan, can we purchase SS190/192 ammo legally? Thanks.

draconianruler 04-01-2007 3:37 PM

Nice purchase. I've been on the fence about getting one. Gotta show pics after you pick it up.

SteveInKA 04-01-2007 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draconianruler (Post 557961)
Nice purchase. I've been on the fence about getting one. Gotta show pics after you pick it up.

Thanks...will do:)

JGarrison 04-01-2007 3:52 PM

Was this the IOM model? My local store has the USG model for I think $875? Did you get a bunch of accesories?

bunkerbuster 04-01-2007 4:00 PM

Nice purchase. You will have tons of fun with it.

Here's Mine

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5937/57fe3.jpg

SteveInKA 04-01-2007 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGarrison (Post 557970)
Was this the IOM model? My local store has the USG model for I think $875? Did you get a bunch of accesories?

It's the USG model. No accessories. I've looked into purchasing the firearm for a while and this was the best price i could find locally. It varied greatly, one dealer wanted $1,300 before tax. I could live with $1,100 otd considering that the store i purchased it at is ten minutes from my house. A bit pricey maybe, but i'm still happy with the purchase. :).

SteveInKA 04-01-2007 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunkerbuster (Post 557977)

Here's Mine

Nice! Looking forward to firing mine. How do you like it? Is the recoil as minimal as FNH claims? What type of grouping at what distance are you able to pull off?

lavgrunt 04-01-2007 7:11 PM

Sweet !!!!!

bunkerbuster 04-01-2007 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveInKA (Post 557986)
Nice! Looking forward to firing mine. How do you like it? Is the recoil as minimal as FNH claims? What type of grouping at what distance are you able to pull off?

They are absolutely fine firearm. I bet kids and women will enjoy the low recoil as well. Yeah, their recoil is really minimal to control. The Trajectory is farily flat due to higher velocity, so you will enjoy shooting long distance too.

:)

leelaw 04-01-2007 8:27 PM

You can not get SS190 ammunition for it.

You can get SS192 (AKA SS195LF) legally, however you'll pay a premium for the SS192 marked rounds. Get the SS195LF, it's the exact same thing, but with a lead-free primer.

http://www.apt401.com/fn57iom.jpg

Welcome to the club. :D

leelaw 04-01-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunkerbuster (Post 557977)

Here's Mine

<sigh>

PS90 and full-capacity magazines.

<sigh>

I hate you.;)

rips31 04-02-2007 12:40 PM

welcome to the addiction.

grammaton76 04-02-2007 1:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leelaw (Post 558418)
<sigh>

<sigh>

I hate you.;)

Hey, we can have PS90's, and we can also have disassembled full capacity mags. I do.

I also happen to have the first PS90CA I'm aware of. Unless someone else has got a fixed mag, 30" kit, I have what I think is the first one in the state. You'll understand why I'm not posting pictures - the last thing I want is for some jerk to rip off the original designer's idea.

Took it to the range last night, going again tonight, 7:30pm. :)

JPglee1 04-02-2007 1:10 PM

Very cool toys!

Being a broke firearms enthusiast, I doubt I'll ever be in a position to afford a FiveSeven. Luckily I CAN afford the poor-mans 5.7.... the 762x25 LOL

:D

Good thread, lets see more pics.

JP

P.S. I know its not legal in California, but is it technically possible to load a 5.7x28mm round with a pulled SS109-type projectile? Is it legal to do that in the other 49 states, or not legal at all??

mike452 04-02-2007 1:34 PM

This is the double action only model? How does the it shoot?
I want the IOM model.

bunkerbuster 04-02-2007 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leelaw (Post 558418)
<sigh>

<sigh>

I hate you.;)

HEHE :)
Next time, i will try to cut out the FN PS90 completely on the pic ;)

grammaton76 04-02-2007 1:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPglee1 (Post 558940)
P.S. I know its not legal in California, but is it technically possible to load a 5.7x28mm round with a pulled SS109-type projectile? Is it legal to do that in the other 49 states, or not legal at all??

Nothing illegal about it if you own a PS90, but no 5.7, like me... at least, I think. I'm not about to try it though.

But, the SS109 projectiles are pretty heavy. The cartridge is meant to push a 40gr or so projectile... the guys who did load some 69gr (I think?) projectiles on the FN forums said it was almost like airsoft, you could see the bullet moving. Major drop.

leelaw 04-02-2007 1:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grammaton76 (Post 558938)

I also happen to have the first PS90CA I'm aware of. Unless someone else has got a fixed mag, 30" kit, I have what I think is the first one in the state. You'll understand why I'm not posting pictures - the last thing I want is for some jerk to rip off the original designer's idea.

If I wasn't spending money on the first Sig 556CA, then I'd have done a fixed mag PS90CA, but, alas, funds are already allocated.

Mike452 - The USG is the exact same functioning gun as the IOM, it just has aggressive texturing on the magazine button, safety, frontstrap, backstrap, a larger magazine button, and a squared off trigger guard. Other than that, it's the same gun - same internals, same trigger.

mike452 04-02-2007 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leelaw (Post 558998)
If I wasn't spending money on the first Sig 556CA, then I'd have done a fixed mag PS90CA, but, alas, funds are already allocated.

Mike452 - The USG is the exact same functioning gun as the IOM, it just has aggressive texturing on the magazine button, safety, frontstrap, backstrap, a larger magazine button, and a squared off trigger guard. Other than that, it's the same gun - same internals, same trigger.

ic...
I thought the IOM was single action! Is there a single action model?

rips31 04-02-2007 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike452 (Post 559091)
ic...
I thought the IOM was single action! Is there a single action model?

all the fivesevens, save the dao, are single action. thus, usg, iom, and tactical are all single action.

ivanimal 04-02-2007 11:07 PM

Love my five-seven it is a laser!:D

SteveInKA 04-02-2007 11:54 PM

Hey guys,
All your replies really have me excited about this gun. I'm looking forward to picking it up and taking it to the range asap. For those of you in southern CA, more specifically LA and Orange counties, are there any indoor ranges that allow you to shoot the Five Seven? Or do i have to take it to the rifle range in Angeles Nat'l Crest? Can't wait to fire it.

Sal 04-03-2007 12:12 AM

i have talked to insights range in artesia, and they said it'd be ok to shoot the 5.7 there.

I even went as far to ask if i could shoot a PS-90 there, and they said that was fine too, since the civilian ammo isnt too high powered. I also know that Grammaton and I have developed a CA compliance kit for the PS-90. The prototype and range testing is done, im in the final stages of design, and will be gearing up to produce the kit, hopefully by the end of the month i'll have the first run finished. stay tuned, its a nice kit.

If your in the area of insights and plan to shoot the five seven could you shoot me a PM, i live a few blocks down from them and would love to watch and see how they shoot.

SteveInKA 04-03-2007 9:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal (Post 559678)
i have talked to insights range in artesia, and they said it'd be ok to shoot the 5.7 there.

I even went as far to ask if i could shoot a PS-90 there, and they said that was fine too, since the civilian ammo isnt too high powered. I also know that Grammaton and I have developed a CA compliance kit for the PS-90. The prototype and range testing is done, im in the final stages of design, and will be gearing up to produce the kit, hopefully by the end of the month i'll have the first run finished. stay tuned, its a nice kit.

If your in the area of insights and plan to shoot the five seven could you shoot me a PM, i live a few blocks down from them and would love to watch and see how they shoot.

I'll definitely let you know Sal. The gun is due to arrive at the shop this wednesday. My ten day started yesterday, monday. The PS90 kit sounds interesting. Please keep me posted on it. :)

mike100 04-03-2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveInKA (Post 559895)
I'll definitely let you know Sal. The gun is due to arrive at the shop this wednesday. My ten day started yesterday, monday. The PS90 kit sounds interesting. Please keep me posted on it. :)

got to fondle the CA compliant one last night..intriguing caliber... I'm not an AR guy but a funky carbine like this seemed interesting, although not very universally sharing in a parts commonality kind of way.(sorry about the broken gas piston is the DE grammaton:( )

Cpl_Peters 04-03-2007 1:35 PM

On-Target in Mission Viejo should be good since you can shoot 308 all day there and their backstop is rated to 50BMG:eek:

I'm a member there, so you could share a lane with me for free if you let me shoot it:D I have a 50rnd box of SS197 i bought a while ago in hope that it would inspire me to buy the gun but then I discovered OLLs :rolleyes:

SteveInKA 04-03-2007 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpl_Peters (Post 560087)
On-Target in Mission Viejo should be good since you can shoot 308 all day there and their backstop is rated to 50BMG:eek:

I'm a member there, so you could share a lane with me for free if you let me shoot it:D I have a 50rnd box of SS197 i bought a while ago in hope that it would inspire me to buy the gun but then I discovered OLLs :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip Cpl. I've actually been to On Target, my folks live in Laguna Niguel. I'll PM you if i ever make it down to that range.

grammaton76 04-03-2007 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike100 (Post 559969)
got to fondle the CA compliant one last night..intriguing caliber... I'm not an AR guy but a funky carbine like this seemed interesting, although not very universally sharing in a parts commonality kind of way.

Yeah, the PS90CA did attract an ungodly amount of attention... for a minute or two I started having flashbacks to the last gun show I worked. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike100 (Post 559969)
(sorry about the broken gas piston is the DE grammaton:( )

Don't worry about the gas piston... it just gave me an excuse to order the chromed one, which will be a lot less of a pain to clean. Plus an extra-powerful spring assembly, probably a good idea when shooting 50AE. :)

hiyabrad 04-03-2007 3:14 PM

Guys, Sal and Sean, let me know when the CA kit is ready to be seen and purchased.

Jeffrock 04-03-2007 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiyabrad (Post 560191)
Guys, Sal and Sean, let me know when the CA kit is ready to be seen and purchased.

What he said! Please let me know as well.

grammaton76 04-03-2007 6:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiyabrad (Post 560191)

It can be SEEN if you want to make a trip to Iron Sights in Oceanside on one of my typical range nights. No pics will be posted on here, though, as I don't want some jerk deciding to copy Sal's design. You can test-fire it yourself if you want, just buy ammo for it. I'll warn you, it has expensive tastes ($25/50 if you buy it at the range)

As soon as the compliance kit is in production, CWS will be offering these to CA residents... probably will have a package deal available too.

leelaw 04-03-2007 7:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grammaton76 (Post 560438)
As soon as the compliance kit is in production, CWS will be offering these to CA residents... probably will have a package deal available too.

Estimated cost?

grammaton76 04-03-2007 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leelaw (Post 560487)
Estimated cost?

To be announced... should be a price set before the end of the month.

rocknut 04-03-2007 7:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leelaw (Post 558998)

Plus the mag safety on the usg that isn't on the iom...

rips31 04-04-2007 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknut (Post 560512)
Plus the mag safety on the usg that isn't on the iom...

i'm pretty sure the iom does have the mag safety (iom and usg use the same mags). i believe that the tactical does not (or is it the dao?). i forget which one doesn't have it, but neither is available in kali, unless it's ppt.

rocknut 04-04-2007 9:00 PM

Mine is the USG model so I don't know for sure. I got my info from one of the magazine articles which said that the IOM mags won't work in the USG model because they wouldn't activate the mag safety. Its not first hand knowledge so I could be wrong.

leelaw 04-04-2007 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rips31 (Post 561472)
i'm pretty sure the iom does have the mag safety (iom and usg use the same mags). i believe that the tactical does not (or is it the dao?). i forget which one doesn't have it, but neither is available in kali, unless it's ppt.

IOM and USG both have a magazine disconnect; Tactical does not. No idea on the DAK, though I would presume it does have it.

Thank God the disconnect is very easy to disengage in a 100% reliable way, with minor skills and a small/jewelers blade screwdriver.

rips31 04-04-2007 9:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknut (Post 561892)
Mine is the USG model so I don't know for sure. I got my info from one of the magazine articles which said that the IOM mags won't work in the USG model because they wouldn't activate the mag safety. Its not first hand knowledge so I could be wrong.

check fivesevenforum.com. they'll tell you everything you'd ever want to know about the fiveseven.

Cpl_Peters 04-04-2007 9:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveInKA (Post 560101)
Thanks for the tip Cpl. I've actually been to On Target, my folks live in Laguna Niguel. I'll PM you if i ever make it down to that range.

sounds good

leelaw 04-05-2007 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknut (Post 561892)

I can assure you that the IOM and USG magazines are the same. Tactical magazines do not have the "shelf" on the right side to deactivate the magazine disconnect.