-   FFL's Forum (
-   -   FAQ from Customers to FFLs - Check here first before making a new thread! (

tenpercentfirearms 01-27-2012 7:54 AM

FAQ from Customers to FFLs - Check here first before making a new thread!
Listed below are the most frequently asked questions in the FFL forums in no particular order. These questions and answers are in no way legal advice and should not be construed as such. Some answers will cover all legal aspects and some answers might give a practical answer.

Additionally, many questions can also be answered in the Calguns Foundation Wiki.

If you think a new question needs to be asked, please post it in a new reply and it will be edited into this FAQ.

1. Can I PPT a handgun not registered to me? Yes you can. It might not be legal, but no one at the DOJ cares and your background as the seller will only be run if the buyer is unable to complete the transaction. So if you bought a handgun illegally 5 years ago without paperwork and now want to legally sell it, just go down and PPT it. The same rule applies for longguns, which are currently not registered.

2. Do I have to pay sales tax on out of state transfers? FFLs are considered the final retailer when DROSing and transfering retail firearms sales from out of state. FFLs are not required to collect the sales tax, but they are required to pay it. So most FFLs will require you to reimburse them for the sales tax due. If your FFL doesn't, keep your mouth shut about it and enjoy it. Just be aware in audit, your FFL will pay dearly and if not prepared to pay all of those back taxes, penalties, and interest, they most likely won't be in business anymore.

3. Do you know of a local dealer in my area? Yes, there is already a sticky for that.

FU12 04-24-2012 7:44 PM

Can you purchase ammunition for a pistol chambered carbine if you're under the age of 21?

Librarian 07-30-2013 7:06 PM

What documentation is required to purchase a gun?
All gun sales require proof of identity - typically a CA Driver License or ID card. See the DOJ FAQ.

Hand gun purchases additionally require proof of residency (not 'a second form of ID'); see the DOJ FAQ.
When does the 10-day wait begin?
When the dealer submits the DROS.
Why do some dealers require 11 or more days when the law says 10?
Sometimes it is because the shop will not be open on day 10. Sometimes it is an 'insurance policy' against mistakes - an FFL might lose his license if he is audited and found to have released guns early.
When does the 30 days start for the handgun one in thirty days?
When the dealer submits the DROS.
Must I buy a lock?
Generally, yes.

CA requires a safety device for every gun sale. CA will accept a safe affidavit for both long guns and hand guns. However, Feds require a safety device for hand guns, and will not accept CA's safe affidavit.

An FFL can accept the lock included in the package, simply give you a lock, or sell you one; all three practices have been reported.
What is a Private Party Transfer (PPT)?
A PPT is a special kind of transfer where a seller with CA ID (or military ID and PCS orders to CA) meets a buyer with CA ID (or military ID and PCS orders to CA) at one CA FFL to make the transfer of a gun from seller to buyer.

(To repeat, both parties must be residents of California, and both must appear at the same California FFL.)

Handguns transferred through PPT are exempt from the Roster of Handguns Approved for Sale.

Handgun transfers through PPT are exempt from the one in thirty days limit, except in the City of Los Angeles.
What is an intrafamilial transfer?
An intrafamilial transfer is a special California-only thing. It comes in 2 forms:
a) 2 CA residents, parent to child, child to parent, grandparent to grandchild, grandchild to grandparent - and ONLY those relationships - may give or sell firearms among themselves without involving an FFL. The receiver must file a form with CA-DOJ, the Roster of Handguns does not apply, the 10-day wait does not apply, the 1-in-30 does not apply.

b) A CA resident may receive, from an out of state parent or grandparent or child or grandchild, a gun. Federal law requires the transfer go directly through a CA FFL - do not call CA-DOJ on this, because they mostly forget Federal law. The Roster of Handguns does not apply, but the waiting periods do apply.

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.