Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   CGSSA Range Cleanups (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Spenceville - Range/Dump !!!! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=518197)

bronxdefector 01-02-2012 8:36 PM

Spenceville - Range/Dump !!!!

2 Attachment(s)
Went to Spenceville for the first time today with a bunch of friends who have been there before. I was amazed at the amount of trash that is left behind by shooters. My friends said that it was the worst that they have seen it. There were few people taking out what they brought in.
If I were a betting man I would put my money on Spenceville being closed if the dumping continues.

Spenceville is dire need of a massive clean up. :oji:

556fmj 01-02-2012 10:25 PM

I've heard of this Spenceville and never been there to shoot but after looking at those pictures I don't think I'll be going there. I wouldn't even call that a place to shoot. Looks more like a place to dump garbage.

Freeballer 01-02-2012 11:33 PM

Pretty rough.
I'm pretty sure there is a guy with an old forest service truck that goes out at least once a week to clean up...
Not many folks pack their stuff... Haven't been there for about a year... too many wackos.

sava 01-03-2012 12:43 AM

Wow, that place has definitely degraded from the looks of it.

I haven't been out there in years. I'm honestly surprised that the place is still open.

Seesm 01-03-2012 4:16 AM

And the people who dump have no land to shoot on whne it get's shut down... I know a bunch of clean up types but I also know some guys who just think it's ok since it is already a mess... Silly. Soon we will have nothing..

jemrey81 01-03-2012 10:41 AM

I was out there Sunday morning (1/1/12).... it was actually dirtier that morning than what your photos show.

I was completely shocked when I pulled in to see how bad it was. I have been there quite a few times and it was definitely the worst that I have ever seen it. HUGE piles of trash in about 5 spots, and trash everywhere out on the range. Everything from cardboard to propane tanks..... really sad to see.

I am in for a clean-up day if someone schedules it (and I am available of course). I personally like this range and would hate to see it get closed.

n2stackin 01-03-2012 10:47 AM

What does everyone with the trash they collect? Go to the local dump and pay the fee or is there a better place to go? I filled my truck with trash the last two times I was out shooting and it cost me $12 at the dump each time. I don't mind packing out, but it's getting expensive.

bronxdefector 01-03-2012 11:23 AM

From what I saw yesterday you needed a front end loader and a few dump trucks. At one point someone put out an old consel TV to shoot. I am sure it is still there.

I am in full agreement with you guys that at some point someone is going to drop the hammer and shut the place down if we as shooters don't correct our own.

I rather deal with a clean range and a range nazi before I'll go back!

jemrey81 01-03-2012 12:32 PM

I wonder if there is a way to contact DFG and set up some type of team of individuals (Calguns members that shoot there) that are permitted to do dump runs for the DFG (fees paid by DFG not individuals)... Or try to get them to put a dumpster on site - but that would lead to stupid people dumping more trash there (nevermind, bad idea).

Obviously everyone should pick-up their own junk, but I don't see that ever happening and the couple of trash bags that are usually there (from the DFG) are typically full and over flowing right away.

I am hoping that there was just more traffic with the holidays and more stupid people than usual and once it's cleared it won't get as bad.... doubt it, but I am hopeful :)

Like I said before, I am open to a clean-up day.... I don't have a truck to fill, but I do have 2 hands and some tools - and I am willing to donate towards the dump fees.

bloodhawke83 01-03-2012 1:20 PM

Maybe we should do a range clean up, bed of my truck is clear most of the time and we can use the people there to help clean it up. Someone has to make a sign and come in early before people show up so they know we need help.

Wait until there is at least 20-30 people there so we can do a 15 minute clean up. We don't want to piss too many people off.

n2stackin 01-03-2012 2:15 PM

I would be down to help, but I think it would be hard to accomplish if people were already set up when the cleanup crew arrived. Some of the people I've seen shooting out there would probably point their guns at you for asking them to touch their own trash.

paul0660 01-03-2012 2:23 PM

I have seen much worse.

BLM/DFG keeps ranges going, despite the clutter, because otherwise people will shoot and dump anywhere, since shooting anywhere is actually legal.

I have gotten a cleanup organized twice on Cow Mountain by calling the BLM and having them coordinate with the convict crews. They do shut the range down on those days.

bloodhawke83 01-03-2012 2:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2stackin (Post 7775486)
I would be down to help, but I think it would be hard to accomplish if people were already set up when the cleanup crew arrived. Some of the people I've seen shooting out there would probably point their guns at you for asking them to touch their own trash.

yeah, i'm saying we need someone to shop up at 6am and post signs for help.

jemrey81 01-03-2012 4:17 PM

I would suggest having someone pick a day/time (maybe contact DFG and try to coordinate a dumpster for that day), print and post signs on the tables and anywhere else stating that it will be closed for a clean-up day scheduled for Day / Time and that all Spenceville users are encouraged to show up and participate. I would rope off the entrance that morning and put a sign out there that it's closed for a clean-up and all are welcome to participate.

Post it on CalGuns once it is scheduled.

It would need to be scheduled early (like 7:00am I think).

hylander 01-03-2012 5:06 PM

This is norm for Spenceville :(
To many folks that just dont give a Crap.

I would be up for helping on a clean up day, I have a full size long bed 4X4.
I can be out there before sunrise to keep people from setting up to shoot.
I think we need to set a date and contact DFG of the plans.

chad68 01-03-2012 11:27 PM

That looks more like a landfill that allows (for now) people to shoot at it.

Now where is that crying Indian from the 1970's.

Wicked Pete 01-04-2012 2:37 AM

We (local CGN'ers) shoot at Oroville. They close for a (state $) clean-up the last Thursday of the month; trucks and crews.

What a pig sty!!! "Trashing" the place makes a pretty clear statement about the integrity of the gun owner at an uncontrolled range. What integrity?

We should send them ALL back to Finishing School.

Full Clip 01-04-2012 3:23 AM

Wow, and I thought my usual shoot site looked like crap.
Sad.

Anti-Hero 01-04-2012 12:05 PM

Sad - I haven't been there in many years, since I was a kid. Doesn't make me want to go back at all.

methos713 01-04-2012 4:44 PM

must of been the same crap I saw when I was there a few weeks back.

milsurpshooter 01-04-2012 6:22 PM

well they did bring a dumpster out there once, and guess what ended up at the 200yd burm full of holes. i went out there one time on a clean up with sac black rifle i think and you should have seen how pissed the other people got when we cleaned up between cease fires. too many pot heads, drinkers, and dumba**es who pull up with loaded guns and start shooting while people are down range. if you go there good luck, and keep a gun on your hip.

Chaos47 01-04-2012 10:25 PM

It's a shame, this is what has been happening to my spot down south

nanoc 01-05-2012 8:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milsurpshooter (Post 7783638)
well they did bring a dumpster out there once, and guess what ended up at the 200yd burm full of holes. i went out there one time on a clean up with sac black rifle i think and you should have seen how pissed the other people got when we cleaned up between cease fires. too many pot heads, drinkers, and dumba**es who pull up with loaded guns and start shooting while people are down range. if you go there good luck, and keep a gun on your hip.

lol everyone that I know tells me to do that there but I don't own any handguns :o Iv only been there a few times but I really liked it and for some reasons I always go out there after a clean up becasue it was super clean the last 2 times I went.

nine mil thrill 01-05-2012 6:11 PM

can someone please post some directions ?? i was out there once with friends, and i have tried several times to relocate it and failed. i found some gps coordinates, but that put me on beale afb. i would be coming from sacto........

bhands 01-05-2012 7:00 PM

I am also down for a clean up day but like others have mentioned it should be done early before anyone got there not between cease fires that would take forever.

mosinnagantm9130 01-05-2012 7:06 PM

Holy crap, that's really bad, even by Spenceville standards:eek:

scoob_i_e 01-05-2012 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemrey81 (Post 7776247)
It would need to be scheduled early (like 7:00am I think).

5 am. I would be interested in 5 am if everyone else is.

hylander 01-05-2012 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoob_i_e (Post 7790726)
5 am. I would be interested in 5 am if everyone else is.

I'm in
Someone set a date
If I get a chance I will contact DFG tomorrow

bobert 01-06-2012 11:23 AM

I live in Concord now, but I'm a Penn Valley native and with enough notice I'd definitely make it up there to help out.

R8RRunner 01-06-2012 9:32 PM

I went there twice in December. Its never exactly clean but when I went with a buddy of mine on 12/29 the place was so bad I thought I drove into the local dump. Your pics are actually cleaner then it was when I went there a few days before you.

I'd be up to help with a range clean up. I could get all my friends that frequent the range with me to go too. Just post a date, with reasonable advance, and I'll get as many people (with trucks) to go as I can.

DREADNOUGHT78 01-06-2012 10:06 PM

Sad.... I use to shoot up in Colfax and that place is gone. I use to shoot at Spenceville but its just pointless. People never clean up after themselves,some midget is always under your feet trying to steal your brass and I always end up with more holes in my target than bullets I had fired. Sad I been going there since the late 80's but I am tired of people who lack common sense or trigger/muzzle discipline.

bjew 01-07-2012 11:51 AM

Sorry kinda random but...

I've been to the spenceville range only a couple times... Do they normally have a restroom/portopotty? or are we supposed to just fertilize the trees/bushes? The first time I went I didn't think about using the restroom first before arriving...

R8RRunner 01-07-2012 12:36 PM

No there is no restroom. Find a bush or tree if you absolutely need a restroom. Plus, if DFG only supplies trash bags and hardly cleans up I wouldn't hold your breathe for a portopotty.

Posted from Tapatalk
On my iPhone 4

ShooterDK 01-07-2012 12:52 PM

Where is Spenceville located? I'd be happy to help with a clean up even though I've never been there.

It pretty much sickens me to see a piece of land trashed like that. :mad:

hylander 01-07-2012 1:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShooterDK (Post 7800681)
Where is Spenceville located? I'd be happy to help with a clean up even though I've never been there.

It pretty much sickens me to see a piece of land trashed like that. :mad:

Out behind Camp Far West.
Next to Beal

ShooterDK 01-07-2012 2:07 PM

^Got it.Thanks.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/regio...-SouthTopo.pdf

subijitsu 01-07-2012 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjew (Post 7800376)
Do they normally have a restroom/portopotty? or are we supposed to just fertilize the trees/bushes? The first time I went I didn't think about using the restroom first before arriving...

There is only the big tree with a pair of discarded pink panties behind it that most people use. No joke.

Unfortunately no matter how many times Spenceville gets cleaned up, the majority of shooters that go there are either degenerates, drugees, or shooters that dont give a ****. My Spenceville shooting regimen is to get there around sunrise, put a gun on my hip, shoot for an hour or so, grab some trash to take with me, and be gone before the hoodlums show up.

I dont want to say cleaning Spenceville is a waste of time but it will be right back there in less than a week. That poor range will never get the respect it deserves because of the "clientele" which really bums me out because I have fond memories of my shooting days there with my father there when I was a kid.

That said, if there is a cleanup day on a weekend, I am in and I know a handful of other guys that will be there in a heartbeat.

Rigma 01-09-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subijitsu (Post 7803292)
My Spenceville shooting regimen is to get there around sunrise, put a gun on my hip, shoot for an hour or so, grab some trash to take with me, and be gone before the hoodlums show up.

I did that last week, but also got to help some DFG guys haul some trash before the "wannabe" hoodlums showed up.

I did also run into some other nice folks that gave me a slight faith in humanity. So if anyone wants to do more then just complain, and participate in something worth posting about, throw down and sign up at the link below!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=520111

thebuck007 01-12-2012 4:07 AM

I'm down to help clean up. I do agree it's a dump there with plenty of degenerates that leave their crap everywhere. It really looked like the city dump last time I was there which was on new years day.

jemrey81 01-12-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebuck007 (Post 7829779)
I'm down to help clean up. I do agree it's a dump there with plenty of degenerates that leave their crap everywhere. It really looked like the city dump last time I was there which was on new years day.

I was there that day too.... Crazy Dirty, and packed!