Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   First AR Build (BCM) (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=494976)

mrvash 10-31-2011 5:07 PM

First AR Build (BCM)
 
Update(7-28-12): Stumbled into financial issues and had to sell my Spikes/BCM AR to stay afloat. However, I'm slowly recovering and just began starting a budget build. Plans so far: LW15 polymer complete lower and Del-Ton mid length complete upper. Because I am pretty much broke, my budget to complete a fully functioning rifle is set at $600.00 and below, if you're in this thread, we'll see how it goes! :)

Previous Spikes/BCM 14.5"/ACOG AR:
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...psuwke84qe.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...psizj6lzk5.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Build in Progress:
Del-Ton Complete Mid Length Upper Receiver

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...809_164344.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...809_164501.jpg

(This build was never completed)

dieselpower 10-31-2011 5:24 PM

how did you not get your toes in that first pic?

mrvash 10-31-2011 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselpower (Post 7419843)
how did you not get your toes in that first pic?

Lol, I was standing on a chair and leaned forward to take the picture.

gsrturboek 11-01-2011 5:23 PM

Nice parts, especially the acog!

glock7 11-01-2011 5:59 PM

A story with a happy ending...

mrvash 11-01-2011 6:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsrturboek (Post 7425548)
Nice parts, especially the acog!

Thanks, I'm trying to learn the concept of; buy once, cry once.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock7 (Post 7425758)
A story with a happy ending...

With the rate that I'm going at the moment, this project is going to be a long one till it's completely done, lol.

biloutkast 11-01-2011 7:24 PM

BRD never goes away.:D

gsrturboek 11-01-2011 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvash (Post 7425978)
Thanks, I'm trying to learn the concept of; buy once, cry once.

I remember we had the whole buy once cry once, you get what you pay for talk, Lol. Can't wait to see it all in person!

tacticalcity 11-01-2011 7:39 PM

It's Commando Kitty!

Dig the rifle.

Colt-45 11-01-2011 8:24 PM

Great choice.


I love unboxing gun parts it's like being a child on Christmas morning.:D

mrvash 11-03-2011 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsrturboek (Post 7426356)
I remember we had the whole buy once cry once, you get what you pay for talk, Lol. Can't wait to see it all in person!

Yeah, it was actually thanks to you that helped me think my purchases through, to weigh out the pros and cons before I bite the bullet and buy stuff lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacticalcity (Post 7426372)
It's Commando Kitty!

Dig the rifle.

I love my kitty, she loves the camera! it's a struggle to keep her out of the photos and she follows me around so it's not like I can hide from her to take pics lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt-45 (Post 7426639)
Great choice.


I love unboxing gun parts it's like being a child on Christmas morning.:D

Thanks! some people may not agree with some of my purchases, but it's okay :)

glock7 11-03-2011 6:41 PM

What's not to like with a BCM 14.5 midlength?!? I love mine! Enjoy!

CK_32 11-28-2011 6:41 PM

Awsome!

Looks like you did your first build right!

I miss AR build threads :(

Use to see one every week now they are hard to come by.

animossity 11-28-2011 6:52 PM

that's a sweet trigger, I had that on my last AR. Made a world of difference.

Is that how much that ACOG costs normally or was it on sale or something?

goodlookin1 11-28-2011 7:34 PM

Nice build, man! $355 is ridiculous....jealous.

I just hope that 14.5" barrel is pinned....

mrvash 11-28-2011 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK_32 (Post 7577482)
Awsome!

Looks like you did your first build right!

I miss AR build threads :(

Use to see one every week now they are hard to come by.

Thanks, I appreciate it! I try to get the best my budget will allow, so far I am pleased with my options. How's that midlength coming along?

Quote:

Originally Posted by animossity (Post 7577554)
that's a sweet trigger, I had that on my last AR. Made a world of difference.

Is that how much that ACOG costs normally or was it on sale or something?

The FFL I've bought the ACOG from the employees and owner and I have known each other for a very long time, he gave me a good price. They're usually $700-800 (I think) for the model I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodlookin1 (Post 7577805)
Nice build, man! $355 is ridiculous....jealous.

I just hope that 14.5" barrel is pinned....

Thanks! I definitely got lucky with the ACOG. Yup, the flash hider is pinned/welded from the manufacture, overall length is "16.1

chozenfew805 11-28-2011 8:03 PM

Build is coming along pretty nice;) nothing wrong with just purchasing a rifle kit but I applaud your patience instead of taking that route.

mrvash 11-28-2011 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chozenfew805 (Post 7577967)
Build is coming along pretty nice;) nothing wrong with just purchasing a rifle kit but I applaud your patience instead of taking that route.

Thanks, I really wanted to get a better understanding of the AR platform. I do admit, however, that I did ask my brother for help for installing the lower parts kit lol.

FatalKitty 11-28-2011 8:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacticalcity (Post 7426372)
It's Commando Kitty!

Dig the rifle.

who? :)


nice lookin rifle, why did you go with BCM complete upper and not assemble one yourself? was it a matter of price or components?

mrvash 11-28-2011 8:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatalKitty (Post 7578059)
who? :)


nice lookin rifle, why did you go with BCM complete upper and not assemble one yourself? was it a matter of price or components?

Thanks for the compliment, the reason I ordered a complete upper from BCM is because throughout all my personal experiences with their manufactured uppers has been nothing but great. Also, I do not have the necessary tools/equipment and time to assemble an upper myself. I have thought about it though, because originally I did want a fluted barrel (preferably LWRC), but I was afraid of the possibility of encountering head spacing issues.

Panchira! 11-28-2011 9:00 PM

Sweet build! Yep I'm building one too and just got a ton of parts today :) great price on the acog too! They are a tad bit expensive but I'll get one. I'll just use my irons until I get the coin! What type of hand guard are you going with?

Awesome cat too! They just seem to be there when the camera turns on! Hahah keep it up!

mrvash 11-28-2011 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panchira! (Post 7578304)
Sweet build! Yep I'm building one too and just got a ton of parts today :) great price on the acog too! They are a tad bit expensive but I'll get one. I'll just use my irons until I get the coin! What type of hand guard are you going with?

Awesome cat too! They just seem to be there when the camera turns on! Hahah keep it up!

I've had an EOtech, an Aimpoint and other red dot sights, but an ACOG just hits the sweet spot for me, I love mine and don't see me getting rid of mine anything time soon. Like you, I want to get good with irons first (I'll be going with a 600m Matech BUIS.), but I can't wait to sight in my ACOG, I've always wanted one since I first shot my friend's TA31H-G.

I've already placed an order with Troy Industries Inc. during their Black Friday sale, within the next week or two I should be receiving my Troy MRF-CX 12" free float rail. Thanks, my cat is great! You're right, literally everytime she spots a camera she makes an effort to get in the picture lol.

Good luck on your build, be sure to post pictures! I'm sure it's going to come out awesome. Thanks for the compliment, I can't wait till I'm done with my build so I can have a range report.

glock7 12-09-2011 4:56 AM

looks good, you will love that bcm....good stuff.

Coyote Brown 12-09-2011 6:44 AM

Don't let the hammer hit the lower like that. Lowers have cracked from that. Put your thumb there, when you pull the trigger.

Agent Tikki 12-09-2011 9:48 AM

Your missing something........

Looks like a no holds barred, all out build.

You need a BCM Vltor Gunfighter Super Mall Ninja Tacticool Operator Charging Handle.

mrvash 12-10-2011 1:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock7 (Post 7637953)
looks good, you will love that bcm....good stuff.

I sure hope so! Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coyote Brown (Post 7638159)
Don't let the hammer hit the lower like that. Lowers have cracked from that. Put your thumb there, when you pull the trigger.

Very true, I wish I knew before I was testing the trigger pull. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Tikki (Post 7639046)
Your missing something........

Looks like a no holds barred, all out build.

You need a BCM Vltor Gunfighter Super Mall Ninja Tacticool Operator Charging Handle.

Personally, I would have gone with a BCM Gunfighter Vltor charging handle, I'm right handed, but I shoot lefty cause I'm left eye dominate. I prefer a charging handle that is ambidextrous.

glock7 12-10-2011 9:01 PM

Try being a lefty who is right eye dominant. I have the gunfighter and I love it. I had to adapt. FOr my next build I'm going to add an ambi safety. Other than that...learn to shoot off hand too!

Brown Rock 12-10-2011 9:40 PM

Nice, same exact upper as mine. Only thing different is the little white star next to the BCM lettering.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...DSC06468-1.jpg

Noah3683 12-10-2011 9:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown Rock (Post 7647465)
Nice, same exact upper as mine. Only thing different is the little white star next to the BCM lettering.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...DSC06468-1.jpg

I knew something looked different but haven't had my bcm for a year now and couldnt put my finger on it

chrisf 12-10-2011 11:08 PM

NICE!!! Congrats I love your sight.

Bull's_eye 12-11-2011 12:01 AM

Does the front sight show up in the ACOG at all?

Colt-45 12-11-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK_32 (Post 7577482)
Awsome!

Looks like you did your first build right!

I miss AR build threads :(

Use to see one every week now they are hard to come by.

I'll have one in a few days. :shifty:

mlevans66 12-11-2011 7:50 AM

How are you going to mount the cat to your rifle? Just kidding looking good! :thumbsup:

mrvash 12-11-2011 6:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown Rock (Post 7647465)
Nice, same exact upper as mine. Only thing different is the little white star next to the BCM lettering.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...DSC06468-1.jpg

I've noticed that too, what does the star mean? Nice rifle you have there, thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bull's_eye (Post 7647931)
Does the front sight show up in the ACOG at all?

There is a very slight blur that is barely noticeable. It doesn't affect the field of view of the scope at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlevans66 (Post 7648551)
How are you going to mount the cat to your rifle? Just kidding looking good! :thumbsup:

Zip-ties, lol. Thanks!

Colt-45 12-11-2011 9:42 PM

The end result looks awesome, great job.

West coast 12-11-2011 9:45 PM

SWEET!! Great job

Gnome 12-11-2011 10:04 PM

Very nice build. Looks like you took your time, and did a lot of research. The Calguns community is a wealth of knowledge.

shortround1 12-11-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlevans66 (Post 7648551)
How are you going to mount the cat to your rifle? Just kidding looking good! :thumbsup:

Kitty launchers get installed under the handguard.

mrvash 12-11-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt-45 (Post 7652751)
The end result looks awesome, great job.

Thanks, all I need left to buy is a Magpul CTR stock and an ambidextrous charging handle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by West coast (Post 7652770)
SWEET!! Great job

Thanks alot! I can't wait to shoot it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnome (Post 7652859)
Very nice build. Looks like you took your time, and did a lot of research. The Calguns community is a wealth of knowledge.

I'm usually the type of guy that likes to hurry up with things, but this is the first time where I actually took time, not rush into buying things that I knew I would get rid of sometime in the future and just save up the pennies for things that I knew I was eventually going to buy anyways. I'm still researching and learning things about the AR platform and it's capabilities. Calguns is great for information as you stated.

Thanks for the compliment, so far I'm pretty satisfied with the way she is turning out.

Panchira! 12-11-2011 10:29 PM

It's a great feelin huh? Yep I actually just finished mine. Just waiting on some mags now. Right now I'm picking different ammo to test out :) can't wait for that time!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.