Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Semiauto Rifles Gallery (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   M4 style carbines (14.5"), post'em up! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=484325)

chead 10-02-2011 2:47 PM

M4 style carbines (14.5"), post'em up!
 
I'm working on one right now, and I'm curious to see what other folks are running to get some ideas for the finished gun!

Lemme see'em!

Droppin Deuces 10-04-2011 6:54 PM

This will probably be the most boring one posted here, but it's more or less the gun I've always wanted and I've been very happy with how it has shot for me :D

LMT 14.5" upper with extended A2 flash hider
LMT complete lower
TA31RCO-M4 ACOG

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...r/100_1687.jpg

sixzulu 10-04-2011 7:42 PM

14.7" with A2 birdcage
CMMG upper & lower
Aimpoint Comp ML3
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2226/img0213um.jpg

Press Check 10-04-2011 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces (Post 7265930)
This will probably be the most boring one posted here,

You're kidding, right?

When it comes to carbines, I'm a firm believer that less is more, and that's a beautiful carbine. I own a 16 inch, but struggled quite a bit decided whether or not to go with a 14.5 inch with an extended A2 flash hider.

chead 10-04-2011 8:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces (Post 7265930)
This will probably be the most boring one posted here, but it's more or less the gun I've always wanted and I've been very happy with how it has shot for me :D

LMT 14.5" upper with extended A2 flash hider
LMT complete lower
TA31RCO-M4 ACOG

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...r/100_1687.jpg

Incidentally this is exactly what I'm building right now. I've got the lower in jail as I type this. I'm probably going to rock BUIS for a while, but beyond that, simple = pretty :)

Droppin Deuces 10-04-2011 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOCOM1 (Post 7266570)
You're kidding, right?

When it comes to carbines, I'm a firm believer that less is more, and that's a beautiful carbine. I own a 16 inch, but struggled quite a bit decided whether or not to go with a 14.5 inch with an extended A2 flash hider.

Haha, thanks :) I'm the same way, but you know dudes and their attachments. I just assumed there would be alot of that, then sixzulu actually beat me by virtue of the non-magnified optic, A2 pistol grip AND the old school CAR stock! That gun is sweet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chead (Post 7266611)
Incidentally this is exactly what I'm building right now. I've got the lower in jail as I type this. I'm probably going to rock BUIS for a while, but beyond that, simple = pretty :)

Nice! I had a carry handle on there for a while before I broke down and bought the ACOG. You're going to dig it. My only suggestion might be to drop a heavy buffer in there instead of the standard carbine buffer.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...r/IMG_2891.jpg
I love the look probably more than with an optic, but my eyes are not awesome enough to be terribly effective with irons.

chead 10-04-2011 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces (Post 7266647)
I love the look probably more than with an optic, but my eyes are not awesome enough to be terribly effective with irons.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I have the LMT rear BUIS ready to go, but I think a Trijicon Reflex is in my future.

chead 10-04-2011 9:08 PM

Is the tube Mil or Comspec? The LMT site is not helping much..

Droppin Deuces 10-04-2011 9:13 PM

It's milspec. Oddly enough, though, the LMT stocks seem to have a tighter fit on regular milspec tubes than on their own tubes. That isn't a complaint at all, because the benefit of their tube is that it's coated with a dry lube that allows the stock to move very freely while still having almost zero play. I LOVE their stocks.

chead 10-04-2011 9:16 PM

Yeah, I played with the lubed tube (god damnit) before I bought it and it really is amazing. I compared it side-by-side with a standard tube and there is a really obvious difference. No scrape, just slides right where you want it to be. Also it has a cool matte finish :)

Norcal Industries 10-04-2011 9:20 PM

+1. lmt makes great stuff at reasonable prices.

151proof 10-04-2011 9:34 PM

Great thread and awesome rifles you guys have there! I just put together a BCM 14.5 midlength and I'll be watching this thread closely for some ideas. Keep the pics coming!

Ar180shooter 10-04-2011 9:40 PM

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/v...g?t=1310515349

LMT 14.5" with standard A2 FH. I've since put on a Magpul CTR buttstock, but I still need optics for it. I'm also thinking of switching the hand guards for something a little slimmer... I'm not a big fan of really fat hand guards.

sixzulu 10-04-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces (Post 7266647)
Haha, thanks :) I'm the same way, but you know dudes and their attachments. I just assumed there would be alot of that, then sixzulu actually beat me by virtue of the non-magnified optic, A2 pistol grip AND the old school CAR stock! That gun is sweet!
.

Thanks, I just copied my last issued M4 minus the rails and light/laser crap.

I'm digging yours and Ar180shooter's setups as well. I'm a big fan of plastic handguards. They're more comfortable than vertical grips to me and I hate grabbing metal rails, which to cover with plastic panels defeats the purpose of mounting rails, no?

sixzulu 10-04-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ar180shooter (Post 7266955)
I'm also thinking of switching the hand guards for something a little slimmer... I'm not a big fan of really fat hand guards.

RRA still makes the old style skinny handguards. I think they're about 20 bucks.

Ar180shooter 10-04-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixzulu (Post 7267399)
Thanks, I just copied my last issued M4 minus the rails and light/laser crap.

I'm digging yours and Ar180shooter's setups as well. I'm a big fan of plastic handguards. They're more comfortable than vertical grips to me and I hate grabbing metal rails, which to cover with plastic panels defeats the purpose of mounting rails, no?

I'm always of the mindset that simpler is better. For a lightweight carbine like the ones in this thread (where you won't be mounting more than optics), I see no advantage to putting a rail system on your AR. I am, however, thinking of switching to Magpul MOE handguards. I like the slimmer profile, and I find them more comfortable than the M4 handguards that are currently on my rifle.

Redlinegts 10-05-2011 12:01 AM

My light setup is constantly changing, here it is currently...going to upgrade to a Surefire M600C soon
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...99133404_n.jpg

and for ****s and giggles...
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...98929643_n.jpg

Jeffu 10-05-2011 1:10 AM

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/s...talk/LMT-1.jpg

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/s...leStupidMM.jpg

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/s...tudios-com.jpg

151proof 10-05-2011 7:09 AM

^^^Nice! Excellent lighting on the photos as well!

Cuerno_de_Chivo 10-05-2011 7:20 AM

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...ntwn102/R1.jpg

Posted this in the AR thread but it fits in here as well.

double0b 10-05-2011 8:00 AM

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/IMG_0516.jpg

pacrimguru 10-05-2011 10:39 AM

here's my 14.5" carbine.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/4d71d525.jpg

Droppin Deuces 10-05-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by double0b (Post 7268238)

That is the ****!

chead 10-05-2011 11:48 AM

Non-NFA folks with pinned flash hiders: What rails are you running? I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get a free-float on there before I have the flash hider pinned or go plastic now and maybe use a two-piece later.

double0b 10-05-2011 1:54 PM

I'm using the KAC RAS 2-piece system. I'm happy with it, though it is heavier than I expected it to be. I've got plastic handguards on all of my other rifles.

chead 10-05-2011 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by double0b (Post 7270117)
I'm using the KAC RAS 2-piece system. I'm happy with it, though it is heavier than I expected it to be. I've got plastic handguards on all of my other rifles.

And you can install that with the flash hider pinned?

MultiCaliber 10-05-2011 2:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chead (Post 7269408)
Non-NFA folks with pinned flash hiders: What rails are you running? I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get a free-float on there before I have the flash hider pinned or go plastic now and maybe use a two-piece later.

Daniel Defense Omega. It's worth the $$$ and you can go plastic for as long as you want first. Or, if you want to lose a couple ounces of delta ring assembly, etc, get the DD lite rail before you pin/weld. Either rail is great. I have one of each.

One thing more I can throw out there, if you want a bigger diameter forend than a DD (they're pretty compact, which is amazing because you can run most piston systems underneath them) check out a YHM diamond series. Very large grip surface, especially with some full profile rail covers.

Good luck deciding. I'm sure it'll be awesome any way you go.

deviljon 10-05-2011 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacrimguru (Post 7269033)

Would you mind PMing me the specs on this beauty? :eek:

Droppin Deuces 10-05-2011 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chead (Post 7270142)
And you can install that with the flash hider pinned?

Basically, anything that says "drop-in" or "two piece" can be installed with the muzzle device already pinned.

I'm primarily looking at the KAC because it's the standard military issue and I'm not worried about shooting sub-MOA with this thing. But if I do get a bug and want to go with a FF assembly, my first choice will be Centurion Arms. They are made in San Diego at the JD shop, and appear to be a very good design. They are also lighter than the equivalent Daniel Defense rail and utilize the standard barrel nut.

http://www.centurionarms.com/index.p...123&Itemid=154
http://www.jdmachinetech.com/gallery/556CompUpper.jpg

chead 10-05-2011 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces (Post 7270473)
Basically, anything that says "drop-in" or "two piece" can be installed with the muzzle device already pinned.

I'm primarily looking at the KAC because it's the standard military issue and I'm not worried about shooting sub-MOA with this thing. But if I do get a bug and want to go with a FF assembly, my first choice will be Centurion Arms. They are made in San Diego at the JD shop, and appear to be a very good design. They are also lighter than the equivalent Daniel Defense rail and utilize the standard barrel nut.

Oh dang, I always like to support the SD shops for sure. I handled the Omega 7 last night and it is incredibly light and feels solid. It's going to be hard to justify the extra $100 for KAC if it comes down to DD vs. KAC.

Lych 10-05-2011 6:45 PM

How well do bayonets fit on 14.5 barrels?
Im assuming since the standard m4 is 14.5 it should work but you never know.

pacrimguru 10-05-2011 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deviljon (Post 7270288)
Would you mind PMing me the specs on this beauty? :eek:

i'll just point out the notable stuff here so others can see it too:
- 14.5" Barrel (carbine gas) with pinned VLTOR VC-1 Flash Hider
- Daniel Defense Lite Rail 9.5 FSP (FDE)
- VLTOR VST-1C Sight Tower
- Magpul CTR Stock w/ Enhanced Buttpad
- KAC Handstop
- Aimpoint M2 in Wilcox M68 Mount
- upper and stock painted in Aluma-Hyde II Earth Brown

chead 10-06-2011 10:36 AM

It followed me home..

http://i.imgur.com/264NI.jpg

socal-shooter 10-06-2011 10:41 AM

what makes an AR an m4 style? is it just the length?

chead 10-06-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal-shooter (Post 7275058)
what makes an AR an m4 style? is it just the length?

Length and barrel profile. And I guess if you really want to get technical, following SOPMOD specs.

gunsarefun 10-06-2011 2:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
CMMG lower
Spikes LPK
CMMG 14.5 upper with pinned phantom
Eotech 516
Troy 2 piece battle rail
Troy VFG

Just-in 10-06-2011 2:29 PM

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...0607-00172.jpg

RyanOT 10-06-2011 3:33 PM

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...A_IMAG0488.jpg
yhm lower
rifle gear upper

gunsarefun 10-06-2011 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just-in (Post 7276361)

That looks like a 16"

Hk996 10-06-2011 6:37 PM

416 upper 14.5" with 1.5" flash hider and 80% lower.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/PC290012.jpg


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.