Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Training Class Announcements (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Practical Pistol Class - TacPistol Level 1 - 1/9/16 - Burro Canyon Shooting Park (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=372413)

D-Man 12-12-2010 5:27 PM

Practical Pistol Class - TacPistol Level 1 - 2/13/16 - Lytle Creek - $130

Do you have a CCW? Ever had training regarding shooting and moving? Drawing and shooting from a holster? Clearing a house? Ever wanted to learn how to fight and survive in a gun fight? If you answered yes to any of these questions then this is the class for you! It will be a full day of training regarding the mental mindset, planning, carrying, shooting and moving, along with a lot more. This course is being offered at Lytle Creek Firing Range on February 13th for a cost of $130. Class reservations need to be made by February 10th at 5pm. To reserve your spot PM me on here or send an email to dharlow at 5arrowstactical.com. Payment can be cash, check, money order, credit card, or prepay through the website here.

The course will be taught and shot regardless of the weather so plan accordingly. You will shoot between 150 - 200 rounds and are responsible to being your own ammo. In addition bring snacks, drinks, eye and ear protection, along with weather appropriate clothing. As always please contact me with me with any questions you might have. Hope to see you there!

BenW 06-05-2011 7:42 AM

I attended Darren's class yesterday and just wanted to post a thumbs up. It was a great class!

I'm a self-taught shooter, and though I've been shooting for a lot of years, have never taken a formal defensive shooting class. The Tac Pistol class really opened my eyes on situational awareness and defensive techniques.

Most importantly, it helped me identify weaknesses and areas I needed to improve that I couldn't really identify on my own. Having a good instructor and the pressure of the shot timer are really vital to identifying strengths and weaknesses.

The class was taught in a safe and professional manner, but Darren also seemed to design it to be a good time. The drills were educational, but they were all really fun to do. A big part of it was also the great group of people yesterday. Even though it was training, it was also kinda like just hanging out at the range with your buddies.

Anyway, for any of you that have just done range or plinking time on your own, I highly recommend this class as a great foundation in tactical pistol skills.

D-Man 06-05-2011 1:06 PM

Thank you for the kind words! It was a fun class.

llamatrnr 09-12-2011 2:58 PM

Where is Burro Canyon, please?

lawaia 09-12-2011 5:32 PM

Azusa Ave, North of I-210 in Azusa Canyon.

http://www.burrocanyon.com/

D-Man 09-12-2011 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawaia (Post 7139614)
Azusa Ave, North of I-210 in Azusa Canyon.

http://www.burrocanyon.com/

Thanks for posting the information for me.

Pistol Fan 06-10-2012 7:45 AM

I took Darren's class yesterday and it was a lot of fun. The 1/5 instructor to student ratio was great. Learning to "get off the X" and shoot while moving was the most valuable aspect of the training for me, as well being able to practice the parts of my gun handling that need to be a bit faster, or more efficient.

Darren is a guy that has experience with many different techniques in all areas of gun handling. That being said he is great at differentiating between his opinions and facts. For instance, it's a fact that concentrating on the front sight will improve fast shooting accuracy. Facing your magazines the reverse way in their pouches (notice I didn't say backwards, or the wrong way) is an opinion about what works for him. He wants you to at least try things his way before you settle on a technique that works for you. Then you know what you need to practice. He's not one of those "my way or the highway" types.

Although a shot timer is used frequently in the class and there is a competitive aspect to it, you don't feel at all like you are there trying to win a competition.

It's a great class for someone that wants defensive pistol instruction, especially if the extent of their experience is standing still on a square range. He also gives a substantial discount to students that repeat the class. I definitely plan on taking him up on it.

D-Man 06-10-2012 5:54 PM

Thanks for the great review, I really appreciate you taking the time to post this.

Andric 09-17-2012 9:21 PM

Took this class, a great class and Darren is an awesome instructor! Highly recommended!!!

D-Man 09-18-2012 1:46 PM

Thank you for the kind words!

teh.killer.of.zombies 10-24-2012 10:32 PM

Never having any training I am interested in attending this. I must admit I am quite nervous to start and worried this will effect my time there. What may I do to be prepared for this type of training environment?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

D-Man 10-25-2012 3:52 AM

Get a decent holster and belt and practice with them ahead of time. Drawing and reholstering. If you do not feel you have a decent draw stroke, just make sure the holster is adjusted correctly to be able to draw. A spare mag and holder is also necessary so practice with placement on your weak side so that you can reach it quickly. Further questions do not hesitate to contact me as I am always happy to help out.

micks75scamp 01-02-2013 3:06 PM

Im contemplating going to the February meet, with me being a relatively new shooter. Is there anything i need to prepare? I do have a decent holster i will need a mag pouch. Anything else you can recommend? Also do you pay ahead of time or the day of?
thank you
Steve

micks75scamp 01-02-2013 3:06 PM

Im contemplating going to the February meet, with me being a relatively new shooter. Is there anything i need to prepare? I do have a decent holster i will need a mag pouch. Anything else you can recommend? Also do you pay ahead of time or the day of?
thank you
Steve

D-Man 01-02-2013 3:44 PM

As far as payment, you can pay ahead of time through the website here, or you can pay the day of the class I will just need your reservation ahead of time to save your spot in the class. Preparation is just to make sure you are comfortable with your pistol and how to operate it safely and practice your draw stroke from your holster. Everything else we teach you in the class. If you want to discuss further please feel free to give me a call.

micks75scamp 01-02-2013 4:22 PM

Hi Darren,
Thanks for the info. I will let you know if ill be able to make it or not. How many mag pouches will be needed?

Thanks again
Steve

D-Man 01-02-2013 7:46 PM

One is all that is required, but you can use a couple if you have them available.

NulodPBall 01-26-2013 6:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Man (Post 5437249)
Do you have a CCW? Ever had training regarding shooting and moving? Drawing and shooting from a holster? Clearing a house? Ever wanted to learn how to fight and survive in a gun fight? If you answered yes to any of these questions then this is the class for you! It will be a full day of training regarding the mental mindset, planning, carrying, shooting and moving, along with a lot more. This course is being offered at Burro Canyon Shooting Park on September 15th for a cost of $120. Class reservations need to be made by February 5th at 5pm. To reserve your spot PM me on here or send an email to dharlow at 5arrowstactical.com. Payment can be cash, check, money order, or credit card.

The course will be taught and shot regardless of the weather so plan accordingly. You will shoot between 300 - 400 rounds and are responsible to being your own ammo. In addition bring snacks, drinks, eye and ear protection, along with weather appropriate clothing. As always please contact me with me with any questions you might have. Hope to see you there!

Hi Darren, can you verify the dates?
2/16?
9/15?

I just want to make sure :)

Dirtbikindad393 11-15-2014 8:04 PM

I will be there on Jan 10th Darren!

sunrisefordrene 11-15-2014 8:10 PM

Darren..When do you get the shoot house again???

johndoe2150 11-20-2014 3:47 PM

So, I am assuming it is ok to use a IWB holster for this class?

D-Man 11-22-2014 6:15 AM

You can use either an IWB or OWB for this class. In Level 2 everything is done from concealment.

D-Man 11-22-2014 6:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunrisefordrene (Post 15269951)
Darren..When do you get the shoot house again???

Not sure at this point.

johndoe2150 12-01-2014 6:14 PM

Thanks Dman for the response I will see if I am able to attend the class

D-Man 09-25-2015 6:33 AM

BTT

Rich2011 10-03-2015 8:39 PM

Signed up. Can't wait to learn stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D-Man 10-05-2015 2:42 PM

Details have been sent to you, look forward to seeing you at the class.

D-Man 12-09-2015 12:27 PM

BTT