Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Santa Cruz -- APPLY to Get a Spot in Line (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352800)

Gray Peterson 10-15-2010 12:08 AM

Santa Cruz -- APPLY to Get a Spot in Line
 
Santa Cruz County CCW Policy, Good Cause statements, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here


2014 Nov 15 UPDATE: Per my (Paladin's) post in this thread today (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8#post15266388), you should apply ASAP if your Good Cause is "self-defense"/"personal protection" to get a space in line for processing after Peruta is finalized.

2015 Sept 18 UPDATE: Per my (Paladin's) post in this thread today (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9#post16944869), the SO says there'll be no change at least after the Peruta en banc panel renders its opinion.

creekside 10-18-2010 2:59 PM

Quote:

"Show good cause for the issuance based on substantial evidence of a clear and present danger to life or great bodily harm to the applicant or immediate family which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources and which cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures. The danger must be significantly mitigated by the applicant's carrying of a concealed weapon."
http://www.scsheriff.com/mycommunity_slv.html

San Lorenzo Valley Service Center
6059 Highway Nine, Felton.
(831) 461-7400

Serving the communities of Ben Lomond, Bonny Doon, Boulder Creek, Brookdale, Felton, Mount Hermon and Zayante/Lompico

The Service Center is almost seven miles south of downtown Boulder Creek.

These are the county "no shoot zones" established by county ordinance:

http://www.scsheriff.com/pdfs/No%20S...0600%20RES.pdf

otteray 10-18-2010 6:50 PM

From what I read: as a resident of the City of Santa Cruz, not of the unincorporated portion of the County
I'm SOL?:(:confused:

obeygiant 10-18-2010 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otteray (Post 5148944)
From what I read: as a resident of the City of Santa Cruz, not of the unincorporated portion of the County
I'm SOL?:(:confused:

No, by law the Sheriff is required to review all applications. This particular practice of requiring one to go to their city police chief first or the unwillingness to accept applications from those that reside in incorporated areas is part of the "clean up process" that Wildhawker and Gray have addressed before.

creekside 10-18-2010 8:29 PM

city of Santa Cruz CCW
 
A quick Google indicates that the city of Santa Cruz uses the "LEXIPOL" policy for CCW.

Various claims are made (including a 2004 E-mail from an SCPD Sergeant) that SCPD has 'never' issued a CCW. This may or may not be true. It is known that they did not issue a single CCW in 2005.

The linked documents below may resemble the Santa Cruz PD policy, no promises:

http://old.californiaccw.org/files/m...-exhibit-6.pdf

http://www.townofsananselmo.org/docu...2020100705.PDF (large PDF, pages 26-31)

In any case, experts on the CCW application process have strongly suggested that one has all their ducks in a row before starting the process.

santacruzstefan 10-19-2010 12:28 AM

I live in Live Oak (unincorporated), and I wonder about the "clear and present danger" aspect mentioned above. What does that mean, that I essentially need to have an RO against someone, or someone has made documented threats against my life before they will consider issuing a CCW?

wildhawker 10-19-2010 12:30 AM

Santa Cruz good cause will be available very soon.

Santa Cruz Armory 10-19-2010 1:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 5151006)
Santa Cruz good cause will be available very soon.

County or city? Can you elaborate? I'm in the county. Thanks.

wildhawker 10-19-2010 1:29 AM

County. We generally won't be working on cities since there's limited utility.

otteray 10-19-2010 5:53 AM

Because I work strictly in the unincorporated area of the county (edit: I am employed by SC County) and therefore spend a substantial amount of time outside of the S.C. city limits where I live; will I be able to apply through the S.O. or am I still SOL?
Color me depressed...

CCWFacts 10-19-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otteray (Post 5151321)
Because I work strictly in the unincorporated area of the county and therefore spend a substantial amount of time outside of the S.C. city limits where I live; will I be able to apply through the S.O. or am I still SOL?
Color me depressed...

If you live anywhere within the county, you can apply to the sheriff. Some sheriffs will require you to apply to your city first if you live in a city, but after the city rejects you, the county must evaluate your application.

Regardless, unless you are extremely well-connected, you will not get a CCW in SC city or county, short of a lawsuit.

dantodd 10-19-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCWFacts (Post 5152542)
If you live anywhere within the county, you can apply to the sheriff. Some sheriffs will require you to apply to your city first if you live in a city, but after the city rejects you, the county must evaluate your application.

The sheriff is statutorily prohibited from requiring you to apply to your city first. This drill will be aimed specifically at the sheriff's issuing policies and acceptable good cause in 90% of the cases. There will be a few outliers where city policy might be important and where applying to the city might be advantageous.

Don't worry about applying to the Santa Cruz PD you will be going directly to the Sheriff and Gray is/has been softening up the field by contacting the Sheriff to let him know where their policy doesn't follow the law.

otteray 10-19-2010 7:22 PM

I suppose that is a bit clearer.:yinyang:
Thanks to members CCWFACTS and dantodd for their replies.
Now, I'm stuck somewhere between "Aw, heck" and "Wahoo!"
That is far better than my previous state of SOL.:cool:

santacruzstefan 10-20-2010 3:18 AM

Tell me what about the "good moral character" aspect of the CCW. Does that just mean you aren't a prohibited person? Otherwise, it seems like they could use almost anything against you, since the way its worded its completely subjective.

nil 10-20-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 5151006)
Santa Cruz good cause will be available very soon.

I'm looking forward to getting more information.

hoffmang 10-20-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santacruzstefan (Post 5157262)
Tell me what about the "good moral character" aspect of the CCW. Does that just mean you aren't a prohibited person? Otherwise, it seems like they could use almost anything against you, since the way its worded its completely subjective.

There are really only two ways to be denied based on not having good moral character.

1. Lieing on the application.

2. Having a lot of recent arrests or a recent serious conviction while still not being prohibited from owning firearms.

-Gene

Santa Cruz Armory 10-22-2010 6:29 PM

$100 sent for Santa Cruz Co. Great job CGF!

Santa Cruz Armory 10-22-2010 6:30 PM

Is it worth applying now, or should I just volunteer to help the CGF?

wildhawker 10-22-2010 6:56 PM

We'll be reaching out to SC County residents soon.

-Brandon

nil 10-23-2010 3:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 5172880)
We'll be reaching out to SC County residents soon.

Please do soon. I'm in the City of Santa Cruz and hope I can be of help.

otteray 10-23-2010 3:31 PM

On the face of it all, at least it appears a helluva lot cheaper than Alameda Co.
No expensive shrink exam mentioned, either.

jorgyusa 10-26-2010 3:17 PM

Looking forward to the info Brandon. I am anxious to apply. Live in unincorporated Santa Cruz County.

NorCal MedTac 10-31-2010 1:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLFD1 (Post 5172739)
Is it worth applying now, or should I just volunteer to help the CGF?

Curious about this myself.... Robert, we could go down in uniform together for just to add to the good character fun.

santacruzmoto 11-01-2010 6:09 PM

Please keep us posted! I have had many phone conversations with the scsd about ccw policy and even went in and sat in the detective's office that is responsible for ccw apps.
I have nothing on my record not even a speeding ticket, I have good moral character, and some training. Yet I was treated like a criminal wanting to carry my weapon legally. The only thing they say is "we don't need people running around the streets with guns. something needs to change, please contact me if I can help.

surfinguru 11-07-2010 2:17 PM

Hey guys, wondering if there are any new developments or if there is anything we can do to help out besides just being a volunteer or donating funds?

fullspeed1 11-09-2010 10:41 PM

Ahhhhh, Change would be great in this god awful POS county!

Santa Cruz Armory 11-09-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furryrabbit (Post 5219608)
Curious about this myself.... Robert, we could go down in uniform together for just to add to the good character fun.

I think all that would do for me is get a phone call to the Chief... But then again, I can be a sh*t disturber now and again. :43:

Honestly though, I would love to know when it's safe to apply, or if there has been any progress in SC county.

dantodd 11-16-2010 2:58 PM

The good cause statements for all current permit holders is now available on the CalGuns Foundation website. http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...132-santa-cruz

These are the good cause statements that the Santa Cruz sheriff has deemed adequate to issue permits for.

surfinguru 11-16-2010 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantodd (Post 5307523)
The good cause statements for all current permit holders is now available on the CalGuns Foundation website. http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...132-santa-cruz

These are the good cause statements that the Santa Cruz sheriff has deemed adequate to issue permits for.

Thanks dantodd!! Looks like the predominant good causes are business owner, prior LEO, judge, and significant-documented threats to the applicant. ALOT of "buisiness only" limitations there as well.

Soooo, now that we have these pieces of info, what's the next step??

dantodd 11-16-2010 5:17 PM

As I was looking through these it seems that many calgunners might have good cause very similar to those on pgs. 24 and 27.

the GC on pg 24 is essentially that the person is a firearms instructor, sells something (can't tell what) and he carries lots of guns and sensitive/expensive equipment around. I think nearly half the calgunners might also carry lots of guns and equipment around, though they aren't instructors I don't see where that is really a factor in increasing the applicants risk.

I don't see where the fact that the GC on pg. 27 is for a business owner is particularly relevant as the reason s/he feels the need to carry is because they are required to respond at all times of the day and night, carries cash and wears jewelry. (while I don't wear jewelry it is possible that a Roles might qualify)

As for what you should do with this info, I suspect that Wildhawker is the best to answer that. I am not sure if he wants people to apply with well crafted GC now that they know what the sheriff has recently accepted or if he wants people to wait. I'll let him chime in on that.

JRent54 11-16-2010 6:22 PM

Wildhaker, let me know what i can do to help this initiative.

surfinguru 11-16-2010 8:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantodd (Post 5308276)

I don't see where the fact that the GC on pg. 27 is for a business owner is particularly relevant as the reason s/he feels the need to carry is because they are required to respond at all times of the day and night, carries cash and wears jewelry. (while I don't wear jewelry it is possible that a Roles might qualify)

As for what you should do with this info, I suspect that Wildhawker is the best to answer that. I am not sure if he wants people to apply with well crafted GC now that they know what the sheriff has recently accepted or if he wants people to wait. I'll let him chime in on that.

Hmm, so I'm a network engineer supporting a Fortune 500 company that's on-call 24/7. I'm occasionally called in at odd hours of the night/morning and transport high value/dollar network equipment in my vehicle. Getting into that "gray" area, but sounds like I "might" have something to work with?

dantodd 11-16-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfinguru (Post 5309395)
Hmm, so I'm a network engineer supporting a Fortune 500 company that's on-call 24/7. I'm occasionally called in at odd hours of the night/morning and transport high value/dollar network equipment in my vehicle. Getting into that "gray" area, but sounds like I "might" have something to work with?

Your good cause does sound pretty similar to the good cause for which the sheriff has already issued a permit.

I don't suppose you have to respond to different locations such as co-location facilities etc. that might have delayed police response time and/or be "dark" areas with no lampposts etc. Most importantly, don't lie on your app, they will find out.

Blackhawk556 11-22-2010 12:03 AM

From the counties that have good statements so far, it looks like Santa Cruz is the "hardest" to qualify for. Most of the good cause statements seems to be at least a page long with many details.

westsiderippa 11-30-2010 6:41 PM

hey everyone, i to am here to help in the santa cruz county fight for ccw. i cant seem to download the gc pages, dont think its my computer as i have tried it on other computers and still no dice. going to be donating next week, after payday. im in public safety, the wife is also in public safety, we live in the mountains so were county. should i apply or keep waiting. has anyone been denied yet? or better yet, granted?

obeygiant 11-30-2010 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westsiderippa (Post 5375317)
hey everyone, i to am here to help in the santa cruz county fight for ccw. i cant seem to download the gc pages, dont think its my computer as i have tried it on other computers and still no dice.

Weird it doesn't open properly if you click on it in Firefox but it opens just fine in IE and Chrome. Try right clicking on the link and selecting "Save Link As" in Firefox or "Save Target As" in IE and see if you are able to download it that way.

westsiderippa 11-30-2010 9:50 PM

thanks for the info but i dont get it? it uploads but the file is blank? the doj app downloads just fine and i have all pages but the gc and the local policies are just blank files, huh idk. maybe its a mac thing. im going to try it in safari instead of firefox and see but i doubt that works. and i have no access to a pc

obeygiant 11-30-2010 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westsiderippa (Post 5376406)
thanks for the info but i dont get it? it uploads but the file is blank? the doj app downloads just fine and i have all pages but the gc and the local policies are just blank files, huh idk. maybe its a mac thing. im going to try it in safari instead of firefox and see but i doubt that works. and i have no access to a pc

There was one other instance with a member not being able to download it properly and they were also on a Mac. I'm going to have to test this with mine and see if I can find what is the common cause. IIRC the other user had Mac OS 10.4, do you know what version you are running?

ETA:

I just tried it on my Mac G4, running OS 10.4, and I was able to reproduce the same results when trying to download it using Firefox. I tried Safari and it gave me a bit more information, stating that the file was created using a newer version of Acrobat and that I needed to go to Adobe's site and download the latest version of Acrobat Reader. You can download the latest version of Acrobat from Here

westsiderippa 11-30-2010 10:07 PM

10.4.11

obeygiant 11-30-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westsiderippa (Post 5376495)
10.4.11

That's what I thought. Try upgrading acrobat to the latest version and re-download the GC statements.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.