Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   San Benito (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352780)

Gray Peterson 10-14-2010 10:27 PM

San Benito

UPDATE (2015 Aug 08):

This from the Sheriff's CCW webpage (http://sbso.us/concealed-weapons-permits) (emphasis added):

The Sheriff’s Office is aware of the Peruta v. San Diego case recently heard in the Ninth Circuit U. S. Court of Appeals. We have evaluated the outcome and will continue to monitor the issue as it progresses. The standard of “good cause” varies from county to county, and recently has not been a roadblock to our applicants. Please continue to complete the full application packet to include your statement of good cause

freonr22 10-26-2010 11:58 AM

here!

Guess its time to grow up and change my avatar, also put off the "me" needs and focus on my family's needs and rights protection.

Shopping Cart Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID #2GJ791112R848050D)
Qty Item Options Price 1 San Benito County CCW Initiative Sponsorship
Item # 2800120_9805019 Option: Sponsorship
$100.00 USD

Anyone else in San Benito?

I may move from there next year... but this needs to happen. Money is soo tight right now, this is MORE important.

Thank you to the tireless people working hard here.

freonr22 11-04-2010 2:51 PM

Bump for San Benito, or anywhere else for that matter!!

Sponsor your county today! ALSO

VENDORS needed

Barkoff 12-01-2010 6:47 AM

Hi. I'm living in Hollister and will be attending my CCW class tomorrow night. On my application I decided I would not bullschitt, I listed my good cause as nothing but "self protection and protection of my family". I'll let you know how it goes.

Barkoff 12-07-2010 7:58 PM

Class completed.

Turned in application on June 7, took the first class offered on 12/2
Fingerprinted on 12/6, awaiting DOJ, then I presume a meeting with the new sheriff (probablly not until January), then I believe a day at the range.. after that, who knows.

RX_Pilot 03-22-2011 12:24 PM

Hey - any update? I'm an permanent absentee voter of San Benito county and voted for the Sheriff who promised "shall issue" in the last election. Hope he's delivering on it.

Barkoff 04-03-2011 9:10 PM

He delivered today. Took way too long, but he seems to acknowledge this and sounds as if he wants to approve on it. My good cause was simply "self protection and protection of family".

emtmark 12-04-2012 10:39 PM

Something I'd like to get any insight to the process or personalities encountered? Good or bad?

Svockbockman 04-13-2013 9:13 PM

To resurrect an old thread...

Any new(er) information on the process. I live in Hollister and I am ready to finally tackle this challenge that I have been putting off for too long.

My GC is little more than: "Protection of my family and self" - Which should be more than enough ;)

Any one who has any updated info, tips, hints, timeline, contacts etc...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Svock

mmayer707 04-24-2013 11:44 PM

I am interested as well. Just wondering if they are still shall issue in San Benito

WarEagle 05-11-2013 10:57 PM

A friend of mine went through the process last year and was issued a ccw, although he said it was a very lengthy process. I heard the Sheriff brought on a couple of guys to help expedite the process so it's quicker now. You have to go to the new office and pickup an app which is San Benito County and DOJ. Then you'll get called in to go over the app and the entire process. You need to get live scanned, provide passport photos for the permit and your file, provide letters of reference and attend a ccw class they offer a couple times a year. If I remember right it was almost a year long process for him. Good luck!

JRG351 06-07-2013 3:11 PM

San Benito CCW

I picked up my application this week. I will keep you updated on my progress.

emtmark 06-15-2013 8:04 PM

Looking forward to the updates. Towns getting rough and it's about time for me to plunk the money down and follow your example.

JRG351 06-22-2013 8:50 AM

Completed the application and Good Cause statement, just need to get the 3 character reference letters.

taperxz 06-22-2013 2:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRG351 (Post 11645447)
Completed the application and Good Cause statement, just need to get the 3 character reference letters.

That is an illegal request

JRG351 06-23-2013 8:06 AM

Yes, but that what can we do?
Also in addition to the normal fees for CCW class DOJ and county processing, there is a $240 administration fee.

taperxz 06-23-2013 1:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRG351 (Post 11651488)
Yes, but that what can we do?
Also in addition to the normal fees for CCW class DOJ and county processing, there is a $240 administration fee.

Refer them to the new law implemented via SB 610

This is the stuff the sunshine Initiative was supposed to do for us but they don't seem to around any more.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/..._sen_comm.html

JTecalo 07-30-2013 3:15 PM

I picked up a packet today and talked a bit with Capt. Becker who is handling the CCW permits.

He told me the Sheriff's dept. is running 7 months behind in processing due to staff cuts.

Jim

emtmark 07-30-2013 7:02 PM

Was there any attention given to the extraordinary amount of cash required or the letters of reference?

Or is it just going to be the way it is?

JTecalo 07-31-2013 6:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emtmark (Post 11949531)
Was there any attention given to the extraordinary amount of cash required or the letters of reference?

Or is it just going to be the way it is?

I didn't have a chance to read any of the "packet" he gave me until I got home, so the discussion was very general and only about 5 minutes.

The fees seemed high but it is what it is. I thought the psych eval and 3 letters of recommendation were not supposed to be part of the application process anymore but I guess I misunderstood. Maybe someone here @ CG can shed some light on that.

I got the distinct impression he was discouraging me from applying. He did say there were a lot of requirements and costs involved, more so than required for my Oregon resident permit, so I should decide if it was worth it.
Jim

emtmark 07-31-2013 7:46 AM

I read through a few threads, which makes me a de facto expert, lol. I believe the process could use a review and weed out the fluff. It might take a letter from the ol steam roller to do it.
The fees clearly are not allowed. I'm wondering who should review this or if its even on the radar?

JTecalo 07-31-2013 8:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emtmark (Post 11954537)
I read through a few threads, which makes me a de facto expert, lol. I believe the process could use a review and weed out the fluff. It might take a letter from the ol steam roller to do it.
The fees clearly are not allowed. I'm wondering who should review this or if its even on the radar?

I'm no expert by any means, so it's confusing one county does it one way, another some other way.

It seems like it should be a state issued permit consisting of:
1. background check & fingerprints
2. Handgun safety LTC class
3. reasonable fees
4. permit issued

but then again like I said I'm no expert.
In Oregon we had a 4-6 hour firearms class (no shooting) that covered what we could and could not do with a LTC permit. We were allowed to ask questions about different scenarios and had the applicable laws & regulations explained to us. We also received a paperback book on the laws.

There was a short handgun safety test consisting of hands on safe handling of a semi-auto and a revolver, load /unload, trigger discipline.

divergent topic..I just finished reading Andrew Branca's book Law of Self Defense. It explains self defense laws for the layman and is not a bad read. lawofselfdefense.com

Jim

JRG351 08-18-2013 11:38 AM

I didn't think it would take so long to get 3 friends to write character reference letters. Last week I received my 3rd letter; I will be assembling my packet this weekend and delivering it to the Sheriff department next week.

emtmark 08-18-2013 3:19 PM

I'm eyes wide open on this share with us your process I'm not going to be far behind you.

JRG351 09-12-2013 11:13 AM

CCW Class

FYI,
I talked to the Sheriff on Wednesday regarding my application and the CCW class that we are required to take.

His suggestion was not to wait until the last minute to take the class as it will delay them from processing the application. Since there is already a delay i don't want to take a chance and add to it, so I'm going get it out of the way early.

I called one of the CCW instructors (Firearm Training Institute) that were listed in the application packet and scheduled a class for November 3rd. The class starts at 8:00 am and is about 9 hours long, I believe the shooting qualification will be 1 to 5 pm at Coyote Valley Sporting Clays in Morgan hill.

In case any of you are interested in attending this class you can contact David Matthews at 408-506-1884. David is very familiar with the San Benito CCW process.

http://www.firearmtraininginstitute.com/index.htm The November 3rd class will be posted on the website later today.

California CCW Classes are county-specific and we have authority to teach classes in Monterey County, Santa Cruz County, Alameda County, Yuba County, Sutter County, El Dorado County, Sacramento County, and San Joaquin County. Other Counties within California are being added as approved by the County Sheriff.

Hope to see some of you there.

surferscca 09-29-2013 11:15 AM

I just picked up my CCW packet this weekend and i have 2 questions.

1. What information are they looking for on the character letters
2. does the "Self defense and defense of my family." qualify for good cause.

JRG351 09-29-2013 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surferscca (Post 12426183)
I just picked up my CCW packet this weekend and i have 2 questions.

1. What information are they looking for on the character letters
2. does the "Self defense and defense of my family." qualify for good cause.

Hi surferscca,
When you pick up your packet there will be a section regarding character. follow that and you should be ok.

I tried using "Self defense and defense of my family" and i was told by the sheriffs dept that it was weak. They want to see something of value $$$$ I was given an opportunity to rewrite it and add in the valuable products that I transport in my vehicle for work. I turned it in last week and haven't heard from them.

Hope this helps.

surferscca 10-02-2013 7:33 AM

Thanks for the response. Got two of my letters gathered up, just waiting for a couple more. I don't have any other "good cause" besides self defense (which should be the ultimate reason) has anyone been successful with the self defense argument in San Benito.

JRG351 10-04-2013 6:50 AM

Update: I received a letter from the Seriff's office yesterday stating that my application and good cause statement meets their requirements. They will be contacting me in couple of weeks to set up a time for the interview.

surferscca 10-18-2013 2:33 PM

I got a response yesterday too. GC was accepted and next is the interview. I'm enrolled in the November 3rd ccw class coyote valley sporting clays.

JRG351 10-18-2013 4:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surferscca (Post 12570302)
I got a response yesterday too. GC was accepted and next is the interview. I'm enrolled in the November 3rd ccw class coyote valley sporting clays.

Congratulations, see you November 3rd :D

JRG351 11-11-2013 9:03 AM

Update: It's been 4 weeks since I received my letter and no one has called to set up at time for the interview. They must be busy.

surferscca 11-12-2013 1:00 PM

just had my interview today. went well, just went over my application. i had to call and inquire about progress in order to get an appointment. the interviewing officer told me they had about 40+ applicants they where processing so i could expect a lengthy wait.

JRG351 11-12-2013 3:37 PM

1 hour after my post I received a call from the Sheriffs department. My appointment is this Thursday.

JTecalo 11-12-2013 4:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRG351 (Post 12751482)
1 hour after my post I received a call from the Sheriffs department. My appointment is this Thursday.

Thumbs up!!!

Jim

JRG351 11-14-2013 4:37 PM

Today's meeting went well it was to go over my application and to sign a couple of documents. Next I need to make an appointment at HPD to get finger printed for the background check. I was told that it may take up to 6 months to complete the process.

emtmark 11-14-2013 4:59 PM

6mo for prints?! Live scan is done it like what? 5 hours? Man I am and am not looking forward to this :(

I know what this man needs, bring me the bourbon!
-CK Medic 538

JRG351 11-14-2013 7:52 PM

No the live scan doesn't take 6 months that takes a hour. They have 40 plus
background checks to do. That is what will take the most time they call everyone you list in the application, and don't forget the psychological evaluation.

emtmark 11-15-2013 9:11 AM

Balls

I know what this man needs, bring me the bourbon!
-CK Medic 538

JTecalo 11-16-2013 6:58 AM

I see a pattern here.
We get all excited we may finally be able to get a permit, then they tell us it may be 6-7 months.

Schedule an interview, then tell us it may be 6 months to run the background check.

By the time we get to the psych test we've already gone all 5150 from the whole process. :D