Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Madera - *** TIME TO APPLY!!! *** (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352762)

obeygiant 10-14-2010 10:18 PM

Madera - *** TIME TO APPLY!!! ***
 
UPDATE (2015 March 04): removed dead links to out-of-date CGF materials. Here's a link to the sheriff's CCW information webpage:
http://www.madera-county.com/index.p...s-permit-forms

UPDATE (2014 Sept 11): Per my (Paladin) post below (#30), Madera appears to accept mere self-defense (SD) as sufficient Good Cause (GC). See RANDO's posts 36 & 37 as well.

If anyone applies for a CCW using "self-defense" as Good Cause and is rejected for lack of/insufficient GC, please post such here and PM me (Paladin, username link in post #30 below), and I'll revised this OP and the thread title.

greasemonkey 11-23-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawk556 (Post 5335761)
Come oooonnn madera!!!!

Release those documents :)

I can't tell you how many people have replied to requests for help in Merced County saying they can't because they're in Madera County...I hope all those folks show up when it's go-time here in Madera!

Blackhawk556 11-23-2010 12:27 PM

i was looking at the madera application and it says that a written test may be taken. what type of info is on the test?
i don't remember reading about this

anyone?

greasemonkey 11-23-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawk556 (Post 5342869)
i was looking at the madera application and it says that a written test may be taken. what type of info is on the test?
i don't remember reading about this

anyone?

Are you talking about a written test for the safety/aptitude qualification? What part of the application process does the written test satisfy?

Blackhawk556 11-23-2010 12:43 PM

on the madera application is says

"At the time of your appointment, you will take a written test, be fingerprinted, and photographed"

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...capture-14.jpg

greasemonkey 11-23-2010 2:51 PM

I'm unfamiliar with the written test requirement and whether or not it's an acceptable requirement. In looking through the Fresno standard op procedures, I don't see anything about a written test.

I'll keep digging, hopefully someone else will chime in soon with a more definitive answer.

PORCH 11-23-2010 6:30 PM

I'm good friends with a Madera County deputy and you guys in Madera are worrying for nothing. They are shall issue as long as you pass the background.

wildhawker 11-23-2010 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PORCH (Post 5344504)
I'm good friends with a Madera County deputy and you guys in Madera are worrying for nothing. They are shall issue as long as you pass the background.

Great - then it will be no problem for them to reflect it in their written policy.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_P1KK-Uc_jQ...moneymouth.jpg

Blackhawk556 11-27-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawk556 (Post 5342937)
on the madera application is says

"At the time of your appointment, you will take a written test, be fingerprinted, and photographed"

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...capture-14.jpg

anybody ever found out what the written test mentioned above is about??

kln5 12-05-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawk556 (Post 5362572)
anybody ever found out what the written test mentioned above is about??

The written test is a ten question multiple choice test similar to the hsc test. Only it is ccw type questions.

Madera county is shall issue.

sergeantrex 12-19-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PORCH (Post 5344504)
I'm good friends with a Madera County deputy and you guys in Madera are worrying for nothing. They are shall issue as long as you pass the background.

This is true. I have a good friend an RN who carries. He said the process was easy as pie.

wildhawker 12-19-2010 12:32 PM

Excellent! Then the Sheriff should simply revise his policy to reflect such and eliminate those sections which run afoul of state and federal law.

Blackhawk556 12-29-2010 5:57 PM

It seems no new counties have released their good cause statements in a while. Does (peruta

wildhawker 12-29-2010 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawk556 (Post 5524401)
It seems no new counties have released their good cause statements in a while. Does (peruta

Peruta isn't really bearing at all here. The issues with release of applications are those of statute, CBS, Inc. v. Block, and (especially) CGF v. Ventura.

The law enforcement community has circled the wagons and we'll need the win in Ventura to move recalcitrant counties forward (rapidly).

Blackhawk556 03-19-2011 10:08 PM

any progress on madera releasing their accepted statements?
I'm thinking of starting the process in the next several days.

maderashooter 03-20-2011 1:02 AM

No need madera is one. Of the easyest to get ccw

maderashooter 03-20-2011 1:09 AM

Same bla ? Can yoou connceal carry in court. Can it be loaded rtr and ccw ect also travel in roural areas were police response/ability to contact police is limited is good enough reason

Blackhawk556 03-20-2011 1:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maderashooter (Post 6039729)
Same bla ? Can yoou connceal carry in court. Can it be loaded rtr and ccw ect also travel in roural areas were police response/ability to contact police is limited is good enough reason

i'm having a hard time understanding this part. can you explain it again?

maderashooter 03-20-2011 1:17 AM

They ask you blunt obvious questions to cover there *** and get rid of " I didn't. Knjow I couldn't do that "

maderashooter 03-20-2011 1:19 AM

Such as can you ccw loaded and racked or can u ccw in police station

painkiller 03-21-2011 8:46 PM

I don't remember taking a test for madera county,but as stated before they are shall issue.the pre qual course one can take at sun mountain gun club,free of charge,fought by one of the deputies.it's top notch beginner stuff,and the deputy who teaches it is top notch as well.seriously nothing to worry about

spencerhut 10-22-2011 8:01 AM

If you live in Madera county, have a clean record and are breathing, the only reason you do not have a CCW is that you have not applied for it.
Free CCW class every month.
Protection of self and family as just cause.
Minimal fees
There is no excuse in Madera county to not have a CCW

greasemonkey 10-22-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spencerhut (Post 7367292)
If you live in Madera county, have a clean record and are breathing, the only reason you do not have a CCW is that you have not applied for it.
Free CCW class every month.
Protection of self and family as just cause.
Minimal fees
There is no excuse in Madera county to not have a CCW

Ditto.

Madera County shows a whopping 1,059 active permits; or 9.804 permits per 1,000 adults according to CGF's License to Carry Initiative County map:



https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-z...ive.Madera.png

painkiller 01-09-2014 6:47 PM

Glad this is still up and glad someone sent me a link I never wouldve found it.

toyotaguy 06-12-2014 4:16 PM

The link in the first post is dead. I have a friend in Madera county I was hoping to send this way to help get the process started.

JohnCCW 06-28-2014 9:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toyotaguy (Post 14277602)
The link in the first post is dead. I have a friend in Madera county I was hoping to send this way to help get the process started.

If your friend doesn't want to print out the forms, he can go to the Sheriff's office's in Madera or Oakhurst and pick them up. Think the package of forms is free. The Madera County permit fee is comparatively low.

Here is a working link to the page.
http://www.madera-county.com/index.p...s-permit-forms

Peter.Steele 09-11-2014 4:01 PM

The forms are free, and can be found here.

The process is ridiculously easy. There was a waiting list for the free class, so I took the paid class at Houlding's, which was still taught by the same Sheriff's LT that approves your license. He flat out told us in class that he would accept "to protect my life and the lives of my family" as good cause, so that's what we should all put on our applications.

I haven't looked at the forms lately, but when I did mine (and that reminds me - renewal is coming up before too much longer!) I was surprised to find that the actual fees that Madera County charges are lower than the fees that were listed on the forms, by a few bucks. The lady that took my forms told me that they'd reduced the fees to the point that would just minimally cover their costs, because they wanted as many people as possible to get the permits.

Captiontom 09-11-2014 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter.Steele (Post 14856288)
The forms are free, and can be found here.

The process is ridiculously easy. There was a waiting list for the free class, so I took the paid class at Houlding's, which was still taught by the same Sheriff's LT that approves your license. He flat out told us in class that he would accept "to protect my life and the lives of my family" as good cause, so that's what we should all put on our applications.

I haven't looked at the forms lately, but when I did mine (and that reminds me - renewal is coming up before too much longer!) I was surprised to find that the actual fees that Madera County charges are lower than the fees that were listed on the forms, by a few bucks. The lady that took my forms told me that they'd reduced the fees to the point that would just minimally cover their costs, because they wanted as many people as possible to get the permits.

got mine recently form madera and it was extremely easy. Took about a month from start to finish.

JohnCCW 09-11-2014 5:16 PM

I was told by the now retired Sheriff's LT, that only two words were necessary:
Self defense.

Also was told this Sheriff doesn't take any of the money collected. The mandatory minimum fees go to County and State general funds.

These people are aware that they work for Us, not the other way around. :clap:

Thanks for posting the link a second time, mine had too many words, but takes you there none the less... :D

Paladin 09-11-2014 5:45 PM

The below from the 2nd page of the CCW FAQs .pdf linked at:
http://www.madera-county.com/index.p...s-permit-forms
Emphasis (bold, underlining, italics) are in the original.

I do NOT understand why the A to the Q continues beyond the underlined and italicized part if mere SD is truly sufficient GC. :confused:

Nonetheless, I'll edit the OP and thread title to "TIME TO APPLY!!!". :party:

*****

What is the minimal standard for the Good Cause Statement?

The basic principal that must be articulated is for defense of myself and my family against threats of serious injury or death from an assailant. There are numerous different ways to express this concept, but this is the basis for the “good cause” to issue a CCW. Many people understand, and should articulate, that law enforcement emergency responses may be quite extended in many areas of the county and wish to have a means to protect themselves against crimes of violence, involving a threat of great bodily injury or death, until law enforcement arrives. Many people will have other specific needs for an increased self defense ability, these should be clearly and briefly articulated (ie. owners or employees of businesses who carry large sums of money or valuable equipment; people who are required to travel or work in high crime or rural areas; people with physical impairments that would make it difficult or impossible to defend themselves or escape from an attack).

JohnCCW 09-12-2014 8:08 PM

Well, I guess it is prudent to list the "official" GC statement verbatim on one's application.
What worked for me nearly 20 years ago could change...

RANDO 11-21-2014 12:13 AM

do I have to be a resident of Madera for a certain period of time before applying? I'll be living there as of November 30th, can I apply the first week of December?

Paladin 11-21-2014 7:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANDO (Post 15303092)
do I have to be a resident of Madera for a certain period of time before applying? I'll be living there as of November 30th, can I apply the first week of December?

I'd call them up and just ask what are the evidences needed to prove county residence.

You should also ask them if mere "self-defense" is a sufficient Good Cause statement, and if not, will that change once Peruta is finalized. If it is sufficient, you may want to suggest to them that they post that on their web because what they've got there now is confusing and may discourage law-abiding applicants.

Paladin 12-19-2014 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANDO (Post 15303092)
do I have to be a resident of Madera for a certain period of time before applying? I'll be living there as of November 30th, can I apply the first week of December?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 15304041)
I'd call them up and just ask what are the evidences needed to prove county residence.

You should also ask them if mere "self-defense" is a sufficient Good Cause statement, and if not, will that change once Peruta is finalized. If it is sufficient, you may want to suggest to them that they post that on their web because what they've got there now is confusing and may discourage law-abiding applicants.

Did you ever contact them?

What did they say re. the questions/issues I suggested?

RANDO 12-19-2014 7:10 PM

Sorry I dropped the ball, I've been really busy with my apprenticeship since moving to Madera county. I'll call the sheriff's office this week and head to the police dept around the corner and get some info to update everyone.

RANDO 01-20-2015 6:20 PM

So. I finally called and spoke to the lady that handles the CCW stuff (I don't remeber her name) and asked her if I could apply using the 2014 application still available online, I also asked if there was a minimum amount of time time I had to be a resident of Madera county, and I asked if there was a minimum age requirement. I was told the 2014 application is still good for the 2015 year, they "prefer" you to be resident for at least 6 months and the minimum age is 21. She also said I could go to the DMV and get one of the brown paper cards to use for my new address and that because I began living within the county in the beginning of December that I should still apply and by the time I'm approved i would have lived here for 6 months

RANDO 01-23-2015 3:31 PM

So I just spoke to the sheriff's office and asked if self defense was a sufficient enough reason to obtain a ccw permit and I was told I don't need a reason, approval depends on the applicant's background.

Blackhawk556 01-23-2015 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANDO (Post 15684606)
So I just spoke to the sheriff's office and asked if self defense was a sufficient enough reason to obtain a ccw permit and I was told I don't need a reason, approval depends on the applicant's background.

This is awesome :D

Paladin 01-23-2015 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANDO (Post 15684606)
So I just spoke to the sheriff's office and asked if self defense was a sufficient enough reason to obtain a ccw permit and I was told I don't need a reason, approval depends on the applicant's background.

:party:

That's Great! That solves the problem for the vast majority of law-abiding folks in Madera Co.

Next Q: Does "legal to own" a firearm = GMC? Or do they go around asking your employer and/or neighbors if they approve of you getting a permit to carry a "hidden gun"? :rolleyes:

I don't live in Madera Co. Where I live, the antis vastly out number Americans who believe in a RKBA or our 2nd A. Not only would they not approve of me (or anyone else) getting a CCW, it could cause friction w/neighbors as well as let them know I've got guns in my home. (Thus, their teenage kids will known, and whoever those kids want to tell will know, and so on it goes until BGs find out.... :facepalm:)

RANDO 01-23-2015 6:56 PM

The sherrif offers 1 free class a month to new applicants instead of having them pay for a ccw course. When the sherrif was running for election his campaign signs had his name and the "J" in his name was an inverted pistol


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.