Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Kern (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352757)

obeygiant 10-14-2010 11:16 PM

Kern

Kern County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here

UPDATE (2015 March 03): changed thread icon to "thumbs up" per info in: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...0#post15910690

El Gato 10-18-2010 7:48 PM

gentleman and ladies....

I have a number of customers who have struggled through the good cause statement and have been successful.... some have been denied and then succeeded in getting the statement approved upon appeal. I have been working with folks in this regard for a number of years. If I can assist in known good cause statements... with personal details redacted... please pm me...or email me at my website...

kernccw.com

obeygiant 10-18-2010 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Gato (Post 5149324)
gentleman and ladies....

I have a number of customers who have struggled through the good cause statement and have been successful.... some have been denied and then succeeded in getting the statement approved upon appeal. I have been working with folks in this regard for a number of years. If I can assist in known good cause statements... with personal details redacted... please pm me...or email me at my website...

kernccw.com

El Gato, PM sent.

El Gato 10-19-2010 1:27 PM

Had a highly secretive type need to know conversation with an un-named source in the Kern County Sheriff's Dept. this am... and no it wasn't the janitor although if it had been I might have gotten some really high level intel...anyway the person "in the know"....who isn't the janitor but still highly placed and not the secretary..

policy change has been made.....

active outdoorsman/shooter/fisher/hunter activities are now considered applicable for good cause.

thepunisher 10-21-2010 7:51 AM

Interesting, Thanks for the info. I know when I apply I'll be going to your classes El Gato

Decoligny 03-11-2011 9:32 AM

Just submitted my application this morning.

Website says they will inform me of approval/denial of Good Cause within 16 weeks.

Four months to read a couple paragraphs and only then do they take my fingerprints and start the background check.

The one good thing about Kern County is they don't require a single penny in payment until the Good Cause is approved. If they deny it, then you are out $0.00

E Pluribus Unum 03-11-2011 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decoligny (Post 5982306)
Just submitted my application this morning.

Website says they will inform me of approval/denial of Good Cause within 16 weeks.

Four months to read a couple paragraphs and only then do they take my fingerprints and start the background check.

The one good thing about Kern County is they don't require a single penny in payment until the Good Cause is approved. If they deny it, then you are out $0.00

So you just filled out the ap.... showed up, submitted it, and gave them no money?

Decoligny 03-11-2011 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum (Post 5983829)
So you just filled out the ap.... showed up, submitted it, and gave them no money?

That is correct. I called the Kern County CCW number and talked with the lady in charge to find our exactly how much it would cost me. She told me $161.00. I asked her how much up front. She said that I don't pay anything until I get approval on my good cause. Then I go in and pay for the fingerprinting, and the county and DOJ processing fees. She told me that if my good cause was denied, then I don't pay anything.

Dropped off the application at the Rosamond Sheriff Sub-Station this morning, the lady there reviewed it, I made one minor correction, signed all three places and she signed as witness. She said she will be forwarding it to Bakersfield this afternoon.

wildhawker 03-12-2011 1:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decoligny (Post 5983995)
That is correct. I called the Kern County CCW number and talked with the lady in charge to find our exactly how much it would cost me. She told me $166.00. I asked her how much up front. She said that I don't pay anything until I get approval on my good cause. Then I go in and pay for the fingerprinting, and the county and DOJ processing fees. She told me that if my good cause was denied, then I don't pay anything.

Dropped off the application at the Rosamond Sheriff Sub-Station this morning, the lady there reviewed it, I made one minor correction, signed all three places and she signed as witness. She said she will be forwarding it to Bakersfield this afternoon.

Their procedure is definitely wrong. We have a few people lined up who want to fix it. If we can get another 3-5 people, this will become viable.

-Brandon

McTerry 03-12-2011 2:33 PM

I'm interested.

WatsonGravy 03-20-2011 10:36 AM

Also interested! I found the app online. Should I use that one or go down to the sheriffs office and pick an app up? and what's the success rate like here in Kern?

greasemonkey 03-20-2011 11:14 AM

Make sure you sign up on the CGF Volunteer page and they'll get you instructions through that on what/how/when to proceed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatsonGravy (Post 6040576)
Also interested! I found the app online. Should I use that one or go down to the sheriffs office and pick an app up? and what's the success rate like here in Kern?

wildhawker 03-20-2011 11:23 AM

Expect movement and further instruction soon.

Kid Stanislaus 03-20-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 6040828)
Expect movement and further instruction soon.

:twoweeks:

Sorry, I just don't know what came over me!!:rolleyes:

Decoligny 03-22-2011 9:11 AM

I am not as well versed in the CCW process as I should be, and would like to know what the issue of concern is with Kern County.

Is it the "16 weeks" I mentioned? As I understand it they have 90 days to inform me of approval or denial, or 30 days after the background investigation is sent to DOJ, whichever is later.

If they take 90 days to decide on the good cause, and then send in the DOJ background check, and inform me exactly 30 days after that, haven't they complied with their timeline requirement per PC 12052.5?

If my understanding is lacking, please educate me. If putting the reasons on the thread is not recommended, please PM me some details.

I may have misunderstood the 16 week reference, and if I did, then I assume they will call me in for fingerprinting before they send off the background check.

WatsonGravy 03-29-2011 9:01 PM

I'm going to be dropping off my CCW application next week !!! How has everyone else's experiences been with the Kern CCW process?

PCPerks 04-06-2011 9:31 AM

I'm going to be applying in Kern County after my retirement from the military in about a year so I'm going to be watching this closely. Those that are going through this process please keep us informed of the progress you're making.

Decoligny 04-21-2011 9:05 AM

Got a voicemail message on my cell phone to call a Sgt about my CCW App. Got it while riding my motorcycle home from work yesterday.

Called back, got his voicemail, left him a message. Waiting impatiently for his return call.

It has been 41 days since my application was submitted.

Whitesmoke 04-21-2011 9:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 5989464)
Their procedure is definitely wrong. We have a few people lined up who want to fix it. If we can get another 3-5 people, this will become viable.

-Brandon

Whats wrong with their policy? When I got mine in Kern County...it took no where near 16 weeks. Start to finish maybe 8-10 weeks.

wildhawker 04-21-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesmoke (Post 6249583)
Whats wrong with their policy? When I got mine in Kern County...it took no where near 16 weeks. Start to finish maybe 8-10 weeks.

Timeline is not the only factor to consider, though I don't consider 8-10 weeks timely [for a licensed fundamental right], either.

Decoligny 04-25-2011 7:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decoligny (Post 6244975)
Got a voicemail message on my cell phone to call a Sgt about my CCW App. Got it while riding my motorcycle home from work yesterday.

Called back, got his voicemail, left him a message. Waiting impatiently for his return call.

It has been 41 days since my application was submitted.

Got ahold of the Sgt finally.

He had a question concerning my good cause.

I handle funds for an neighborhood association. He said that if I can get a letter from the president of this org stating that I am good to go for CCW on org business, then he will not have to put a limitation on my CCW.

This apparently means that my good cause, even without the money portion was sufficient for Kern County.

I will get the letter this week. Hopefully that means the DOJ background portion will start soon.

BigFred 04-25-2011 10:23 PM

Anyone know if the SO allows you to use a legally owned off list pistol for carry?

Whitesmoke 04-25-2011 10:38 PM

What is SO? Kern doesn't care if it's offlist or not....

E Pluribus Unum 04-25-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesmoke (Post 6275135)

Sheriff Office.

Roster should not matter for CCW; lawfully owned means you can put it on your permit...

Decoligny 05-02-2011 8:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decoligny (Post 6269687)
Got ahold of the Sgt finally.

He had a question concerning my good cause.

I handle funds for an neighborhood association. He said that if I can get a letter from the president of this org stating that I am good to go for CCW on org business, then he will not have to put a limitation on my CCW.

This apparently means that my good cause, even without the money portion was sufficient for Kern County.

I will get the letter this week. Hopefully that means the DOJ background portion will start soon.

Turns out the president noted above is an anti. He has a problem with my even owning a gun. Shouldn't be a real issue as I can live with the restriction. It simply means that once every two months I can't carry for 10 minutes while I drop off the deposits (90% checks).

Decoligny 05-10-2011 1:50 PM

Just got my notification that my good cause has been approved.

Now I need to get my 8 hr training (Saturday), bring a check for $161.00, my original birth certificate, and my DD-214 to Bakersfield within the next 90 days.

Total wait time from submission of application until notification of approval = 59 days.

El Gato 05-10-2011 1:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesmoke (Post 6275135)

NOPE... not at all... could care less...sweet!...:D

Whitesmoke 05-10-2011 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decoligny (Post 6370062)
Just got my notification that my good cause has been approved.

Now I need to get my 8 hr training (Saturday), bring a check for $161.00, my original birth certificate, and my DD-214 to Bakersfield within the next 90 days.

Total wait time from submission of application until notification of approval = 59 days.

Just curious why they asked for your DD-214...?? I never showed mine when I got my CCW.

Fjold 05-10-2011 7:53 PM

If you put service experience in your application then they want to see that you got an honorable discharge.

WatsonGravy 05-10-2011 9:54 PM

That's good news Decoligny!! 59 days isn't to bad. I went to drop mine off few weeks ago and I didn't have the correct portion of my PG&E bill. I trashed that 2nd page. Blahh. So now For the first time ever I can't wait to get my next months PG&E bill!! If you don't mind me asking who are you using for the 8hr training?

Decoligny 05-11-2011 8:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesmoke (Post 6372210)
Just curious why they asked for your DD-214...?? I never showed mine when I got my CCW.

The letter states that former military need to provide it. I think it may be due to it being an exemption to the HSC requirement.

Decoligny 05-11-2011 8:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatsonGravy (Post 6373064)
That's good news Decoligny!! 59 days isn't to bad. I went to drop mine off few weeks ago and I didn't have the correct portion of my PG&E bill. I trashed that 2nd page. Blahh. So now For the first time ever I can't wait to get my next months PG&E bill!! If you don't mind me asking who are you using for the 8hr training?

I am getting the class from Jess Farmer in Rosamond. He is a friend of a friend, an FFL, on the Kern County Sheriff's approved list, and he is local to me. I called him yesterday and arranged for him to give me the class on Saturday. $100.00 for the 8 hr initial course, $50.00 for the refresher.

59 days was for the notification that my good cause was approved. Once I have completed the class, turned in my documentation, gotten fingerprinted, the letter says it will be another 12 to 16 weeks before the background check is completed.

"IF" they took the entire 16 weeks that they said it would take to approve my good cause, and they took the entire 16 weeks for the background check, that would be a grand total of 8 months for this stupid process. Totally unacceptable when other states are able to complete the process in a matter of days.

Decoligny 05-14-2011 8:00 PM

Just to compare the processes, I mailed in my Arizona CCW application on Friday May 6th. I get my CCW in the mail this morning. The earliest the could have gotten it was on Monday May 9th. It was approved and in the mail on Thursday May 12th.

Four days versus a possible eight months.

WatsonGravy 05-24-2011 12:02 PM

Just droped my application today. 05/24/11 She told me I would hear within 3 months if they approve or deny.

I will keep you all updated.

WatsonGravy 05-24-2011 12:06 PM

Oh she also asked me if I live in city limits. And wrote down city on my app. Why would that matter?

skyscraper 05-29-2011 5:58 PM

Turned mine in 5/25. Ill keep you all updated too. The girls in the office were very helpful, as was craig at kernccw. He answered a lot of my questions via email. Just wanted to say thanks again.

Nodda Duma 05-29-2011 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 6249855)
Timeline is not the only factor to consider, though I don't consider 8-10 weeks timely [for a licensed fundamental right], either.

That's right.

As a baseline, consider that my New Hampshire Concealed carry permit took less than 14 days and a total of $10.

Decoligny 06-21-2011 5:55 PM

A grand total of 101 days.

Just got a voice mail message that my CCW is ready to pick up at the Rosamond substation. Unfortunately they close at 4:00 pm and I didn't get the message in time to get it today. Tomorrow morning at 7:00 am I will have it in hand.

beech bum 06-23-2011 3:56 PM

Hello everyone.
I am wanting to apply for a CCW, but have a set of circumstances that may be a bit different than most. I am a retired LEO that falls outside of LEOSA. Nothing bad, just the nature of my retirement falls outside established parameters. When reading through the SO's app online I saw a statement that might cause me to be disqualified. I have PMed a few folks on here in the past about a good cause statement, but have delayed applying to avoid a denial. I was wondering if anyone who is well versed would be willing to take a phone call? Thanks.

PCPerks 06-23-2011 4:35 PM

I'm not as up to speed on different circumstances, but Kern county is one of the better counties when it comes to getting a CCW.