Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   El Dorado *** TIME TO APPLY!!! *** (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352746)

obeygiant 10-14-2010 10:09 PM

El Dorado *** TIME TO APPLY!!! ***
 
UPDATE (2015 Feb 05):

Per posts #380 and #381, it looks like mere "self-defense" is being accepted by the sheriff as sufficient Good Cause, therefore I'm changing the title of this thread to read "Time to Apply!!!" If anyone uses "self-defense" as their GC and gets denied for lack of or insufficient GC, and gets denied for lack of or insufficient GC, PM a Moderator listed at the bottom of this forum.

El Dorado SO's CCW application instructions & form are linked at: http://www.edcgov.us/Sheriff/Forms.aspx

(end of update)

El Dorado County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here

seraphim713 10-20-2010 11:02 PM

CCW Friendly?
 
I will be moving from San Francisco to El Dorado county soon. Is El Dorado a CCW friendly county? Are they reasonable about giving out permits?

TempleKnight 10-30-2010 8:32 PM

Both of the candidates for El Dorado County sheriff promised to be more CCW friendly. D'Agostini promised self-defense equals good cause and Therkildson promised to streamline the process (whatever that means).

Bob Ragen 10-30-2010 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seraphim713 (Post 5162987)
I will be moving from San Francisco to El Dorado county soon. Is El Dorado a CCW friendly county? Are they reasonable about giving out permits?

Yes, they are very reasonable. And it may be getting even easier to get through the process if either candidate keeps there promise regarding CCW issuance.

Hogxtz 10-30-2010 9:41 PM

D'Agostini is backed by the NRA. The other canidate is not. Draw your own conclusions.

Dexster 11-02-2010 10:20 AM

Looking at the current support it looks like by the end of the day D'Agostini will be our Sheriff! I'll be applying for mine as soon as he takes office.

Gray Peterson 11-02-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexster (Post 5229806)
Looking at the current support it looks like by the end of the day D'Agostini will be our Sheriff! I'll be applying for mine as soon as he takes office.

Where are you getting your polling numbers? Just wondering for my own edification.

I have spoken with D'Agostini on three occassions. He is the real deal, he is the superior pro-gun candidate, and he's shown a willingess to annihilate all unlawful and illlegal requirements that Sheriff Jeff Neves/Fred Kollar continues to enforce, and Therkildsen seems to be squishy on.

Hogxtz 11-06-2010 1:21 PM

El Dorado County elections is still counting the "vote by mail" ballots. The spread between Sheriff D and Sherrif T is growing in D's favor. Sheriff D will be as close to shall issue and "personal protection" good cause as we can get without the state becoming shall issue. Apply for your ccw after D takes office.

scratch 11-17-2010 11:57 AM

I also have spoken to our new Sheriff and he said he will remove the need for 3 character letters and that self defense is good cause.

We have a lot of rural roads that we travel at night plus I'm a competitive shooter that carries guns all the time, so I think I will apply after Mr. D'Agostini takes office and changes the SO policy.

It's interesting that in talking with some business owners in Placerville they would like to apply for permits, but found it was too onerous in the past. Since Mr. D'Agostini wants to bring back a community based law enforcement policy this may go a long way in bringing the community back to support the SO.

NorCalDustin 11-22-2010 9:52 AM

Anyone know when the new sheriff takes office?

scratch 11-22-2010 10:06 AM

They are supposed to validate the vote count this Friday, then he would be sworn in January 11th.

Socom16Fan 12-07-2010 11:31 AM

Hang tight folks. Policy is being massively overhauled. I am a resident and instructor in El Dorado and you all will pleased with the final outcome. Stay tuned...

scratch 12-07-2010 1:09 PM

Keep us posted Socom.

mw20 12-07-2010 2:52 PM

I currently live in Sacramento, but I will be moving to El Dorado County next year. If I get my CCW for Sacramento will I need to re-apply in El Dorado once I move, or can I wait for it to expire before I apply again in El Dorado Co. I don't really want to pay the fees twice.

Or should I just wait until I move?

obeygiant 12-07-2010 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mw20 (Post 5409554)
I currently live in Sacramento, but I will be moving to El Dorado County next year. If I get my CCW for Sacramento will I need to re-apply in El Dorado once I move, or can I wait for it to expire before I apply again in El Dorado Co. I don't really want to pay the fees twice.

Or should I just wait until I move?

Appointments in Sacramento are booked out until February. Wait until you move out of Sacramento as a CCW would only be good for 90 days after your move at which point you would have to reapply and pay the fees all over again. Better to only have to do it once.

mw20 12-22-2010 2:16 PM

So what is the process like right now?

When should we expect the changes that will make El Dorado Co. virtual shall issue?

Will there be a new process that is more streamlined?

Gray Peterson 12-22-2010 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mw20 (Post 5490220)
So what is the process like right now?

Terrible. Wait three weeks and it'll be much better.

Quote:

When should we expect the changes that will make El Dorado Co. virtual shall issue?
The day the sheriff takes office, most likely.

Quote:

Will there be a new process that is more streamlined?
Yes.

Socom16Fan 12-22-2010 3:29 PM

Inauguration will be early January. Process will be much simpler. Feel free to PM me if you need any info on the process or training. I am a CCW instructor here in ED county.

wildhawker 12-22-2010 6:33 PM

We're in direct contact with the sheriff-elect and will be posting all of the details here when he's completed the reforms.

ccwtrainer 12-27-2010 10:14 AM

Sheriff D'Agostini recently held a meeting with several approved CCW Instructors. He asked for our input regarding removing restrictions that El Dorado County had on their CCW's and revising the policy in any way that would make it more common sense oriented. For example, we discussed doing away with the restriction that makes El Dorado County issued permits invalid outside of CA. We talked about allowing 5 guns on the permit instead of only 3 (he wanted to allow any gun that you legally own but, he has to list every approved gun on the actual permit and 5 seemed to be the maximum that would fit). We also concluded that the new permits would be on a card similar to a driver's license or credit card rather than a piece of paper.

Throughout the meeting we discussed many other issues. It was very constructive. Sheriff D'Agostini is certainly CCW friendly and a very open individual.

sacto929 12-28-2010 7:23 AM

The recent news sounds good. Is Jan 11 the inauguration day, as opposed to Jan 3 or 4 like most other offices? I couldn't find the date on the net.... I have my app filled out, just waiting to send it in....

Thanks.

ccwtrainer 12-28-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacto929 (Post 5515975)
The recent news sounds good. Is Jan 11 the inauguration day, as opposed to Jan 3 or 4 like most other offices? I couldn't find the date on the net.... I have my app filled out, just waiting to send it in....

Thanks.

I just called and spoke with Sheriff D'Agostini. He said that he will take the office at 12PM on January 3, 2011.

He asked me to request that everyone NOT turn in their applications all at once. It will cause everbody's process to be drastically delayed and he wants to try to avoid that.

choprzrul 12-28-2010 1:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccwtrainer (Post 5517331)
I just called and spoke with Sheriff D'Agostini. He said that he will take the office at 12PM on January 3, 2011.

He asked me to request that everyone NOT turn in their applications all at once. It will cause everbody's process to be drastically delayed and he wants to try to avoid that.

I don't live in that county, but as a suggestion that will help with the sheriff's request:
SSNs 0000-0999 apply immediately
SSNs 1000-1999 apply in 2 weeks
SSNs 2000-2999 apply in 4 weeks

etc until all have applied. Granted, this would be on the honor system, but it might help maintain relations with his office. Just an idea.

.

15thaf5thbw 12-28-2010 2:09 PM

New process = New Forms?
 
If there will be a new, modified process for CCW applications (as is strongly suggested by the posts here in this thread), will there be new application Forms as well? Or should we use the old forms? If the old forms, how will we know what parts of the forms to ignore if no longer needed, etc.?

choprzrul 12-28-2010 2:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 15thaf5thbw (Post 5517691)
If there will be a new, modified process for CCW applications (as is strongly suggested by the posts here in this thread), will there be new application Forms as well? Or should we use the old forms? If the old forms, how will we know what parts of the forms to ignore if no longer needed, etc.?

Anyone can apply to any sheriffs office with this form from CA DOJ.

.

mw20 12-28-2010 5:07 PM

This is very exciting. I'm in no rush, I mean the sooner the better, but we've all waited for these changes for many years. I never thought that CA gun owners would be making this kind of headway in the first place. Thank you Wildhawker and all others that have helped us get to this point, and thank you for keeping us informed.

wildhawker 12-28-2010 7:27 PM

El Dorado residents should especially thank Gray Peterson, a fellow 2A warrior hailing from Washington (state).

ccwtrainer 12-29-2010 1:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 15thaf5thbw (Post 5517691)
If there will be a new, modified process for CCW applications (as is strongly suggested by the posts here in this thread), will there be new application Forms as well? Or should we use the old forms? If the old forms, how will we know what parts of the forms to ignore if no longer needed, etc.?

The application form will still be the same old standardized DOJ form that choprzrul listed a link to three posts up.

The main change in the process will be quite simply that you won't need some big elaborate explanation for your good cause statement. Sheriff D'Agostini has made it pretty clear that "self defense" is a good enough reason in his book for you to qualify for a CCW (of course along with the absence of any disqualifying criminal or mental history).

scratch 01-03-2011 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 5519282)
El Dorado residents should especially thank Gray Peterson, a fellow 2A warrior hailing from Washington (state).

Thanks Gray!! I also want to thank all the voters of this county for voting for a Sheriff that is honest in addition to his views on the 2A and the Constitution. Well run campaign John!!

ccwtrainer...do you know if they will be eliminating the 3 character letters?

scratch 01-05-2011 10:17 AM

Swearing in of our new Sheriff
 
I just got this in an email from our local gun club:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJccz...layer_embedded

Listen to his message towards the end of the video.

Congratulations Sheriff John D'Agostini !!

Dexster 01-05-2011 10:26 AM

Spoke to EDC Sheriff Office, D'Agostini does not take office until the 11th but was sworn in on 1/3.

I plan on dropping my paperwork next week :)

Dexster 01-07-2011 4:27 PM

CCW - El Dorado County
 
Called yesterday and setup my first interview (turning in the application with EDC Records.) I will be meeting with her tuesday to review the application and start the process.

I am using the standard DOJ CCW forum and will be using Personal Defense as my justification.

Wish me luck!

uyoga 01-08-2011 8:37 AM

Please do keep us posted on the detailed progress of your application.

Sheriff D'Agostini campaigned heavily on his support for CCW, and the whole process should be smooth sailing for you.

Best of Luck.

Hogxtz 01-08-2011 7:16 PM

Yes I would like to know as well. I am still waiting to see him change the ccw requirements on the Sheriff internet site.

ccwtrainer 01-08-2011 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexster (Post 5575383)
Called yesterday and setup my first interview (turning in the application with EDC Records.) I will be meeting with her tuesday to review the application and start the process.

I am using the standard DOJ CCW forum and will be using Personal Defense as my justification.

Wish me luck!


You will have no problems whatsoever, of course provided that you don't have any obvious disqualifying factors. Sheriff D'Agostini is a very stand up guy and he will certainly live up to his word. In fact I just spoke with him earlier today. You couldn't have a better man in that office.

coq 01-09-2011 4:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccwtrainer (Post 5581932)
You will have no problems whatsoever, of course provided that you don't have any obvious disqualifying factors. Sheriff D'Agostini is a very stand up guy and he will certainly live up to his word. In fact I just spoke with him earlier today. You couldn't have a better man in that office.

Good news there. I realize it's early on, but do you have knowledge of upcoming official changes to polices/requirements (such as letters of recommendation, etc) that were put in place by previous administration...in both EDC permit and renewal processes?

ccwtrainer 01-09-2011 6:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coq (Post 5583577)
Good news there. I realize it's early on, but do you have knowledge of upcoming official changes to polices/requirements (such as letters of recommendation, etc) that were put in place by previous administration...in both EDC permit and renewal processes?

Yes. At the request of Sheriff D'Agostini, a committee of CCW Instructors was gathered to change the CCW policy. The Sheriff's goal was to get rid of unnecessary restrictions and make the whole process as common sense oriented as a government agency possibly can. We did exactly that. One of the foolish requirements that we got rid of was the "letters of recommendation" policy. You will not be subjected to that. Also, we lifted the restriction that was stamped on the permit stating that "THIS LICENSE IS NOT VALID OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA". So, now you can enjoy the reciprocity that 16 other states grant you. A couple other changes are that the permit will be on a plastic card rather than a piece of paper and you'll be allowed to have as many guns listed on the permit as will fit; we estimated 5. The most important change is simply that the Sheriff is willing to accept "self defense" as a good cause statement.

I really see Sheriff D'Agostini making every effort he can to make the CCW process as open as possible.

I hope this helps.

coq 01-09-2011 6:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccwtrainer (Post 5583694)
Yes. At the request of Sheriff D'Agostini, a committee of CCW Instructors was gathered to change the CCW policy. The Sheriff's goal was to get rid of unnecessary restrictions and make the whole process as common sense oriented as a government agency possibly can. We did exactly that. One of the foolish requirements that we got rid of was the "letters of recommendation" policy. You will not be subjected to that. Also, we lifted the restriction that was stamped on the permit stating that "THIS LICENSE IS NOT VALID OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA". So, now you can enjoy the reciprocity that 16 other states grant you. A couple other changes are that the permit will be on a plastic card rather than a piece of paper and you'll be allowed to have as many guns listed on the permit as will fit; we estimated 5. The most important change is simply that the Sheriff is willing to accept "self defense" as a good cause statement.

I really see Sheriff D'Agostini making every effort he can to make the CCW process as open as possible.

I hope this helps.

Sure does help. Great news all around. Thanks.

uyoga 01-09-2011 11:52 AM

Looks like the commitee did a good job. Did the concept of "good moral character" get defined yet?

sacto929 01-09-2011 2:29 PM

Dexter,

Whom did you call to set up the appointment? I mailed my application last week and have not received a call back, nor was I able to find any updated info on the county website last time I looked.

Thanks.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.