Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Contra Costa (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352744)

obeygiant 10-14-2010 10:09 PM

Contra Costa
 
(removed dead link to out-of-date GC statements)

Anyone who gets denied in Contra Costa Co (either by a city's PD or by the Sheriff's Office), and wants to fight it should read the following quote from my ("Paladin") post in the Monterey Co thread. (There they accept SD as GC, but push the GMC requirement.) The 14th Amendment Equal Protection applies to ALL aspects of the application process, not just GC and GMC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 16276894)
So, they say SD = GC, but then push GMC through the roof and, it appears, make your RKBA subject to your neighbors', co-workers' and friends' ratification.... :facepalm: :mad:

If Bernal does NOT follow this same procedure with ALL CCW applicants (think political donors, "friends of the sheriff"/"posse" members, politicians, celebrities), he's open for a Guillory-type 14th A Equal Protection federal lawsuit, but for GMC rather than GC.

Hypothetically, let's say there's a world-famous film star (and director) who lives in (and was once the mayor of) Carmel-By-The-Sea, a city which, acc to CGF's 2013 survey, does not issue CCWs. We'll call him "Mr. E." Let's suppose Mr. E has a Monterey SO CCW. When it is/was time to renew, if the sheriff has the same policy for renewals that means his "background investigator" would have to go to Mr. E's neighbors (who, unlike his friends, may be hard-core antis), and "ask them if they would recommend [Mr. E] be issued a CCW permit." Not only would the same procedure have to be followed, but the same standard as to judging whether to issue or not be followed. IOW, let's say 1 of your neighbors says "Nyet!" when asked if you should get a CCW and because of that you are denied. If 1 of Mr. E's neighbors also said "No!" and yet was issued, that too is a 14th A Equal Protection violation.

UPDATE (2015 June 27): with SCOTUS declining to grant Jackson cert and Peruta having gone to an en banc panel of CA9, things at the moment look grim for CGNers in CoCoCo. We should no longer assume the "Heller 5" will say our RKBA protected by the 2nd A "shall not be infringed." :mad:

We've got to adapt to this "new reality" until we get some reason to think otherwise. Thus, I've condensed and updated a previous thread of mine and made it into a new thread so that at least some who work in CoCoCo can get CCWs.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=16522545

:chris:

UPDATE (2015 July 04): Near the bottom of the column on the left (at: http://www.co.contra-costa.ca.us/279...ty-Information), I saw this cryptically titled link "SO Response to Ninth Circuit Ruling." Also, under "Useful Links" is a link boringly titled "Office of the Sheriff response to Ninth Circuit ruling." Note well how neither link says ANYTHING to give the uninformed visitor any idea what these links are about. Neither uses "CCW", "concealed", "handgun", "carry", or "permit." They both link to the below, the ONLY information I could find re. CCWs on their website.

Quote:

SO Response to Ninth Circuit Ruling
**Message from the Office of the Sheriff**

We are aware of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruling in the Peruta case. County Counsel is currently reviewing the matter.

Office of the Sheriff policies will be modified to comply with the Court's decision should any changes be necessary.
From: http://www.co.contra-costa.ca.us/546...Circuit-Ruling

BusBoy 10-18-2010 7:40 PM

Tagging for info...

Would love to guinea pig a CCW run through... Ive been seriously looking into getting one. I also believe I live within 300 yards or two previous muders!! :mad: and Im thinking that self defense is still not a valid Good Cause for our good Sheriff.

Looking to help out! USE ME!!! LOL!

berto 10-19-2010 10:56 AM

Rupf's policy is problematic on many levels.

Perhaps his successor can be reasoned with?

freedomtools 10-19-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berto (Post 5152835)
Rupf's policy is problematic on many levels.

Perhaps his successor can be reasoned with?

Probably not, it seems like Livingston was Rupf's hand-picked successor. He never responded to questions about his stance on CCW. He did respond somewhat enthusiastically to a request for info about joining the "Sherrif's Posse".

I can't wait until it's Co. Co.'s turn to get sued!

berto 10-19-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedomtools (Post 5152987)
Probably not, it seems like Livingston was Rupf's hand-picked successor. He never responded to questions about his stance on CCW. He did respond somewhat enthusiastically to a request for info about joining the "Sherrif's Posse".

I can't wait until it's Co. Co.'s turn to get sued!

I'm not holding out much hope but starting a new job by getting your posterior handed to you isn't a great first impression. I looked into the posse but I don't know any posse members and I'm unwilling to pay the freight to join the club.

ImpliedConsent 10-19-2010 12:40 PM

Count me in for a CCW guinea pig run, too. I also donated $100 to CGF two nights back to sponsor action in CoCo :)

non sequitur 10-20-2010 9:46 AM

Contra Costa County CCW
 
This info is a little dated (from 2002) but it's an interesting read about Contra Costa County Sheriff Warren Rupf and the whole CCW issue.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/march/Posse.doc

If this info is already posted somewhere in Calguns, I apologize in advance but it seems appropriate to post the info here again.

Good luck in Contra Costa County!

BusBoy 10-22-2010 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur (Post 5158431)
This info is a little dated (from 2002) but it's an interesting read about Contra Costa County Sheriff Warren Rupf and the whole CCW issue.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/march/Posse.doc

If this info is already posted somewhere in Calguns, I apologize in advance but it seems appropriate to post the info here again.

Good luck in Contra Costa County!

Interesting read... looking at this and other docs that include some of the GC statements that were used... Personal protection has been used in the past so wouldnt you be able to NOW go and use that as a good cause and be permitted?? Or... do the GC justification and level of pass or fail come and go with the current sitting sheriff?? So if the recent Sheriff said yes to personal protection dose the current sitting Sheriff have to follow past GC reasons??

Anyway.... still cant wait for this to get rolling. It will be fun to see a "dark red" county be brought to its knees.

safewaysecurity 10-23-2010 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur (Post 5158431)
This info is a little dated (from 2002) but it's an interesting read about Contra Costa County Sheriff Warren Rupf and the whole CCW issue.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/march/Posse.doc

If this info is already posted somewhere in Calguns, I apologize in advance but it seems appropriate to post the info here again.

Good luck in Contra Costa County!

Some people write self-defense and some people write nothing.. doesn't that mean under law they have to grant me a CCW if I apply and have no criminal backround?

Gray Peterson 10-24-2010 12:37 AM

Need to figure out if that information is currently valid.

vandal 10-25-2010 9:49 AM

I applied some years ago (maybe 10?). Was told (and still have the letter) that I had to apply to Walnut Creek PD first. WCPD told me up front based on a verbal conversation that I would not be issued one and discouraged me from going through the process, effort, and expense for a known negative outcome.

So basically due to the Sheriff's "agreement with chiefs" I would have had to double my application fees and time/effort commitment to even have my application considered.

BusBoy 10-25-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandal (Post 5185472)
So basically due to the Sheriff's "agreement with chiefs" I would have had to double my application fees and time/effort commitment to even have my application considered.

That flat out sucks... I'm really glad that WildHawker is undertaking this effort to give the citizens of California a fair shake at CCW.

Bad Voodoo 10-25-2010 10:13 AM

C'mon Contra Costa residents - we need eight more sponsors to reach goal: http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...rships-to-date

Gray Peterson 10-25-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandal (Post 5185472)
I applied some years ago (maybe 10?). Was told (and still have the letter) that I had to apply to Walnut Creek PD first. WCPD told me up front based on a verbal conversation that I would not be issued one and discouraged me from going through the process, effort, and expense for a known negative outcome.

So basically due to the Sheriff's "agreement with chiefs" I would have had to double my application fees and time/effort commitment to even have my application considered.

That's nice........

Bad Voodoo 10-25-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedomtools (Post 5152987)
... Livingston ...did respond somewhat enthusiastically to a request for info about joining the "Sherrif's Posse".

You don't say? :rolleyes:

The master taught him well.

BusBoy 10-25-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Voodoo (Post 5185607)
C'mon Contra Costa residents - we need eight more sponsors to reach goal: http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...rships-to-date

As requested... Paypal Confirm #2J370853T32156156

C'mon Contra Costa residents - we need eight seven more sponsors to reach goal:

tgriffin 10-25-2010 10:38 AM

What happens when we reach the sponsorship goal?

Bad Voodoo 10-25-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgriffin (Post 5185715)
What happens when we reach the sponsorship goal?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...4&postcount=44

I'm not made of money by any means, but IMO this is certainly worth funding. "Freedom isn't free" has many meanings, especially in these CA counties!

vandal 10-25-2010 10:59 AM

Bing... you've got sponsorship

BusBoy 10-25-2010 9:51 PM

Alright... who messed up the County Sponsorship numbers for COCO County??!! :mad: I see other sponsor pledges and I have no reason to doubt that they did actually make a donation and I KNOW I made mine....

When I made my $100 donation the list said 8 more needed... mine brought it down to 7... please fix the numbers!!

I mean if you need the cash.. say that if you donate you are more than likely (barring criminal past record) to be a test case to push the county and test the waters so to speak... I'm betting you'd have no problems getting cash in hand!! :D

Gray Peterson 10-25-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BusBoy (Post 5189879)
Alright... who messed up the County Sponsorship numbers for COCO County??!! :mad: I see other sponsor pledges and I have no reason to doubt that they did actually make a donation and I KNOW I made mine....

When I made my $100 donation the list said 8 more needed... mine brought it down to 7... please fix the numbers!!

I mean if you need the cash.. say that if you donate you are more than likely (barring criminal past record) to be a test case to push the county and test the waters so to speak... I'm betting you'd have no problems getting cash in hand!! :D

:chillpill:

"To Date" values may not reflect recent sponsorships*

FS00008 10-25-2010 11:32 PM

Where are you guys seeing this list, the list I see shows 0 sponsorships for CoCo total.

BusBoy 10-26-2010 5:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Peterson (Post 5190256)
:chillpill:

"To Date" values may not reflect recent sponsorships*

Chill? :D Wasnt meant as a rant... But "To Date" numbers arent supposed to go BACKWARDS are they?

BusBoy 10-26-2010 5:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FS00008 (Post 5190280)
Where are you guys seeing this list, the list I see shows 0 sponsorships for CoCo total.

Chill......... ;) :D

wildhawker 10-26-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BusBoy (Post 5190727)
Chill? :D Wasnt meant as a rant... But "To Date" numbers arent supposed to go BACKWARDS are they?

Sorry, we were caught "mid-programming". Everything should be current as of about 12am today.

http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...rships-to-date

FS00008 10-26-2010 7:04 PM

Ok, so we need $1200 more in Contra Costa. I'm posting this all over my facebook page and telling everyone I know.

torsf 10-27-2010 10:27 AM

Make that $1100.

Gray Peterson 10-27-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torsf (Post 5197613)
Make that $1100.

Sweet. Thank you! Keep at it, folks, and if you know any gun shops that want to sponsor (and reap the inevitable rewards of expanded carry throughout the state), let us know!

ImpliedConsent 11-03-2010 8:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Peterson (Post 5197741)
Sweet. Thank you! Keep at it, folks, and if you know any gun shops that want to sponsor (and reap the inevitable rewards of expanded carry throughout the state), let us know!

Unfortunately, Contra Costa isn't overflowing with great gun shops... but I for one will take to the streets this weekend, so to speak, and try to pitch it to the ones I'm closest to (City Arms, Diablo Valley Gun Works, and ... Canyon Sports - possibly Triple A's in Vallejo).

If I can spare it, I'll donate another $100 while I'm at it, too. Just need to check the books. :)

Thanks Gray!

-Jon H.

Bad Voodoo 11-13-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent (Post 5236454)
Unfortunately, Contra Costa isn't overflowing with great gun shops... but I for one will take to the streets this weekend, so to speak, and try to pitch it to the ones I'm closest to (City Arms, Diablo Valley Gun Works, and ... Canyon Sports - possibly Triple A's in Vallejo).

If I can spare it, I'll donate another $100 while I'm at it, too. Just need to check the books. :)

Thanks Gray!

-Jon H.

Any luck, Jon?

Thought Contra Costa could use another bump for a call to action, as well.

Swiss 11-14-2010 9:39 AM

Money's tight but if I can spare $100, you'll get it.

osokne 11-17-2010 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedomtools (Post 5152987)
He never responded to questions about his stance on CCW.

I coulda swore that I read someplace (before the election) that he did respond and it went something like: "I support issuance of CCW's for those persons who demonstrate "good cause" and meet all other statutory requirements. Basically, I support the law as it currently exists" or somesuch. Of course, I can't recall where I read it, or if that source was reliable/legitimate.

Either way, ambiguous, at best.

Paul235 11-18-2010 1:51 AM

Been a lurker for a while and after seeing you guys in action at the last GRPC weekend I was truly impressed. Couldn't resist contributing towards CoCoCounty LEO's being converted into believers instead of elitists they've been for a long time. Best 100 bucks I ever spent!

safewaysecurity 11-18-2010 9:32 PM

Not alot o money on hand atm but made my donation today =)

wildhawker 11-18-2010 11:01 PM

Thanks for your support! We should be receiving some information on Contra Costa soon...

G-Man WC 11-19-2010 6:29 AM

Okay...I'm in. Made my PP payment just now. -g

BusBoy 11-19-2010 7:12 AM

Right on Contra Costa!!! Getting closer to getting our numbers in without our Gun Vendors!

ok gotta work harder on the vendors now!!

G-Man WC 11-20-2010 10:05 AM

Saturday Bump!

TonyM 11-21-2010 12:34 PM

I just dropped $100 in and edited my signature. :)

AndrewMendez 11-21-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyM (Post 5333036)
I just dropped $100 in and edited my signature. :)

Very nice. The numbers are not automatic, I will update them tonight.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.