Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   CGSSA Range Cleanups (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Santa Barbara Glass Factory/East Camino Cielo Clean Up Saturday 7/31/10 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=317818)

Nate 07-02-2010 11:09 AM

Santa Barbara Glass Factory/East Camino Cielo Clean Up Saturday 7/31/10
 
One of our newest Calguns members(kidnk9s/ Craig Wines) in Santa Barbara has organized a clean up at Glass Factory/East Camino Cielo on Saturday 7/31/10 from 8am-5pm.

In coordination with the Forest Service, the range will be closed for the entire day. Kidnk9s has been able to get some sponsorship from some of the local businesses. Marborg disposal will be donating the refuse service, Portable Restrooms(Sponsored by kidnk9s) will be available , local gun stores( Goleta Valley Gun, Far West and Dodge City) have also committed some time and possible resources. Local Fire Crews/Forest Rangers and Law Enforcement will also be in attendance for the clean up.

Free Hot dogs and water will be available for those that attend and help the clean up(sponsored by Kidnk9s)

The last clean up at Glass Factory was a great success, however the trash is still there. There is now the opportuntiy to get local support to keep the range open by maintaining it.

Some things you may want to bring:
Flat blade shovels
Wheelbarrow
Plastic Garbage Bags
Sunscreen/Hats
Gloves

If you have any questions you can pm Kidnk9s or e-mail him at Kidnk9s@cox.net. You can also PM me or email me at nlimjoco@hotmail.com.

We shoot up there, we should be the ones to do our part to keep it clean.

Nate 07-06-2010 7:55 AM

See new flyer below.

Kali-Jax 07-06-2010 10:49 AM

Sweet I can make this one.

I am in...

Deadbolt 07-06-2010 4:41 PM

hot damn ill be there :)

Nate 07-07-2010 9:18 AM

Update flyer. Forest Service asked to not bring rakes due to lead in the ground, and times

Army 07-08-2010 10:43 AM

Uh...lead in ground? Of course there is lead in the ground, and on the surface, and on the rocks, and on most every bit of trash there. What would using a rake disturb? Lead dust comes from firing, not the chunks laying about.

Silly Rangers...

shy 7th 07-08-2010 11:54 AM

Is this a "Clean-up & Shoot after" event or just a "Clean-up" event?

Regardless of the answer I'll totally be there!... just need to know if I should leave the guns at home.

Nate 07-08-2010 3:16 PM

I guess if the clean up is done early, they will reopen the range. I will confirm.

KidnK9s 07-08-2010 8:36 PM

Yes... We will shoot if done early. Spread the word. Anyone showing up late will participate in the live target round... LOL...

Thanx for all the support... Sight you there...

Cj

BattlefieldJosh 07-17-2010 12:20 AM

Does Anyone Have Physical Directions to this Place? I would like to come help.

Nate 07-18-2010 8:12 PM

Maybe some of the guys can meet up in SB before going up San Marcos pass. I know how to get there, but it is a little difficult to describe.

KidnK9s 07-19-2010 9:32 PM

Directions To the Glass Factory "East Camino Cielo Gun Range":

Run Highway 101 to Santa Barbara -- Exit 154/Chchuma Lake -- Go 8 miles to the top -- Take Right on East Camino Cielo -- Go 5.2 miles -- Gun Range is on the Right.

Hope to see many of you there...

Thanx,

Craig J. Wines

Nate 07-27-2010 1:31 PM

I hope there is a good turnout!!!

Hopi 07-27-2010 2:00 PM

Bump for an outstanding effort! Spread the word.....

Kali-Jax 07-28-2010 10:35 AM

Bump for this weekends clean up.

Milsurps 07-28-2010 1:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopi (Post 4684906)
Bump for an outstanding effort! Spread the word.....

In the Santa Maria Times... :D

http://santamariatimes.com/news/loca...cc4c002e0.html


Los Padres Forest

Cleanup day set for target shooting area

A volunteer cleanup day at a shooting site in Los Padres National Forest is scheduled for Saturday, the U.S. Forest Service said.

On East Camino Cielo, approximately four miles from Highway 154, a target practice site will be closed from 10 a.m. until at least 4 p.m. for volunteers to clear expended shell casings and targets, the Forest Service said. Anyone interested in volunteering is asked to bring sturdy shoes, hats, gloves and other items that provide protection from the sun.

The location is one of three areas in the national forest along East and West Camino roads designated for recreational target shooting.

For more information, call the Santa Barbara Ranger District at 967-3481.

Hopi 07-28-2010 2:29 PM

You guys bring a tear to my eye. Seriously. Our Ventura Cherry Creek cleanup project made the Ojai newspaper, and now this.....Pure Awesome!!

Great work all around!!!!!

goober 07-28-2010 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BattlefieldJosh (Post 4630413)
Does Anyone Have Physical Directions to this Place? I would like to come help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidnK9s (Post 4644878)
Directions To the Glass Factory "East Camino Cielo Gun Range":

Run Highway 101 to Santa Barbara -- Exit 154/Chchuma Lake -- Go 8 miles to the top -- Take Right on East Camino Cielo -- Go 5.2 miles -- Gun Range is on the Right.

Hope to see many of you there...

Thanx,

Craig J. Wines

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l..._Map_Draft.jpg

KidnK9s 07-28-2010 9:22 PM

Hey Troops,

Looks like we should have a good turn-out... I hope. Working on getting a new fire-brake cut along the ridge and the foreground re-graded (both in the near future). Had articules in both the Santa Maria and Santa Barbara News Press'. A good chance will we have a T.V. spot too. Working with Magpul to get a tackical class taught here also. Will re-evaluate the efforts this Saturday and come up with a periodic clean-up schedule.

Hope to see you all up here...

Thanx,

Craig

KidnK9s 07-29-2010 12:00 PM

Bump to the top

Kynoch 07-29-2010 6:05 PM

Could notices be placed at the ammo counters at nearby Wal*Marts?

shy 7th 07-30-2010 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santamariatimes.com (Post 4690693)

http://santamariatimes.com/news/loca...cc4c002e0.html

"The location is one of three areas in the national forest along East and West Camino roads designated for recreational target shooting."

Wait, wait, wait. There are two other shooting spots on E.Camino Cielo and W.Camino Cielo rds?! Where are these?

Hopi 07-30-2010 4:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shy 7th (Post 4702921)
Wait, wait, wait. There are two other shooting spots on E.Camino Cielo and W.Camino Cielo rds?! Where are these?

Winchester Gun Club is one of them. Perhaps the other is the trap/skeet range down the road from WGC?

Nate 07-30-2010 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shy 7th (Post 4702921)
Wait, wait, wait. There are two other shooting spots on E.Camino Cielo and W.Camino Cielo rds?! Where are these?

The other two areas are Winchester, and if it is still open, just past Winchester on the dirt road. It is fairly narrow and has a few switchbacks. I used to go there as a kid, not sure if it is still accessible.

Amacias805 08-01-2010 9:28 PM

Any pictures of the clean up?

thefiringline 08-01-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate (Post 4703078)
The other two areas are Winchester, and if it is still open, just past Winchester on the dirt road. It is fairly narrow and has a few switchbacks. I used to go there as a kid, not sure if it is still accessible.

It's accessible during certain times of the year. USFS will lock the gate just past the trap range for the winter, but it should be open during the summer although I've seen it locked in late september. If you have two wheels, you can go around it. USFS knows people do it even though people aren't technically supposed to.

It's good to see a decent cleanup going on the glass factory. Bravo. When I was working for USFS I asked a couple of rangers about it and they kind of almost referred to it with disdain because it was so dirty.

KidnK9s 08-02-2010 11:12 PM

SUCCESS! East Camino Cielo "Glass Factory" Clean-up!
 
5 Attachment(s)
I'll let the pictures do the talking. But what they cannot say... I will tell. 20 members from the U.S. Forestry Fire Fighters "The Sundowners" showed-up and stayed all day. 25 civilians of all ages appeared.

News Channel 3 KEYT filmed a segment which aired @ 6:00 & 11:00 on Saturday.

http://www.keyt.com/news/local/Trash...-99699019.html

One other Cal-gun member (Shy 7th) beside myself was there. My 10 year old daughter "IZZY" cooked hotdogs and served waters along w/ my cousin "Horsey". Marborg Industries supplied a bathroom and three (3) dempsters (over 100 cubic yards) of waste hauled... @ no charge!

:party:

I will try to do this twice a year.

Meanwhile... I'm working on:

Permanent ridge fire-brake, Re-grade first 50 yards for Permanent shooting, Six (6) more shooting benches, Permanent training classes, Basic classes for all ages, Rules of the range sign, On-site small trash bin w/ regular pick-ups, Permanent steel targets set @ and marked w/ distances.

I do not mind making these things happen, but I will need some help. Most of all... Self policing our ranges! Keep them clean, safe and open.

My thanx to Cal-Guns.

Later...

Craig

Hopi 08-02-2010 11:18 PM

Bravo. Bravo.

Nate 08-02-2010 11:25 PM

That looks great! Outstanding!

Are you sure we only had one other Calgun member help out? If so, that's a little dissappointing.

KidnK9s 08-02-2010 11:28 PM

Shy 7th was the only one that introduced himself as such... I'm sure some of the other shooters on hand were/are members...

Cj

gtturborex 08-04-2010 9:05 PM

Great job to everyone who participated!!! That is the best I've ever seen that place look.

Milsurps 08-04-2010 9:23 PM

I'm impressed. That place looked good !!!
Good job all ! :)

Dallasdowning 08-21-2010 1:24 PM

I went up there last Sunday on 8/15 and the place looked better than I've ever seen it! Sorry I missed the last clean up, but I'm relatively new to Calguns, and don't check in often. I'd love to help out on the next one.

The best part was some guy shows up with a lifted f-350 filled with a 65+inch big screen TV, a keg, dining room table, some metal side panels for a truck, and all kinds of other garbage. I introduced myself and kindly reminded him that lots of time, effort, and money had just been spent cleaning the range 2 weeks ago. If we want to keep it open we have to keep it clean!

Thankfully he was polite, agreed to clean up after his mess, and left the TV and dining room table on the truck.

Hopefully we can keep the range clean, and keep it open! I'll be up there again this Sunday. Any other Calgunners planning on being there?

Nate 08-21-2010 1:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallasdowning (Post 4819908)
I went up there last Sunday on 8/15 and the place looked better than I've ever seen it! Sorry I missed the last clean up, but I'm relatively new to Calguns, and don't check in often. I'd love to help out on the next one.

The best part was some guy shows up with a lifted f-350 filled with a 65+inch big screen TV, a keg, dining room table, some metal side panels for a truck, and all kinds of other garbage. I introduced myself and kindly reminded him that lots of time, effort, and money had just been spent cleaning the range 2 weeks ago. If we want to keep it open we have to keep it clean!

Thankfully he was polite, agreed to clean up after his mess, and left the TV and dining room table on the truck.

Hopefully we can keep the range clean, and keep it open! I'll be up there again this Sunday. Any other Calgunners planning on being there?

I hate to say it. But I bet all that stuff is sitting on the range right now.

Dallasdowning 08-21-2010 1:51 PM

Ya I hear ya... I'll check it out this weekend and report back.

Dallasdowning 08-26-2010 8:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate (Post 4819959)
I hate to say it. But I bet all that stuff is sitting on the range right now.

You were right! That a**hole left behind the TV in pieces and all the rest of his ****. I'm sad to report that its already getting dirty up there again. I took as many cardboard boxes and crap as I could fit in my little truck, but the collection of trash is building up again.

We should try to see if we can convince marborg to leave a dumpster up there. That might help to get lazy people to pick up there trash!

Nate 08-26-2010 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallasdowning (Post 4846260)
You were right! That a**hole left behind the TV in pieces and all the rest of his ****. I'm sad to report that its already getting dirty up there again. I took as many cardboard boxes and crap as I could fit in my little truck, but the collection of trash is building up again.

We should try to see if we can convince marborg to leave a dumpster up there. That might help to get lazy people to pick up there trash!

Did you get his License plate?? Description of the truck??

I knew that was going to happen!

Thanks for doing your part and cleaning up the mess of the idiot.

May be up there over labor day. will pm you if you are interested in shooting on Sat or Sun if you are around.

By the way, with the morons that go up there, I would assume the dumpster would just get shot at and destroyed.

Dallasdowning 09-01-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate (Post 4848204)
Did you get his License plate?? Description of the truck??

I knew that was going to happen!

Thanks for doing your part and cleaning up the mess of the idiot.

May be up there over labor day. will pm you if you are interested in shooting on Sat or Sun if you are around.

By the way, with the morons that go up there, I would assume the dumpster would just get shot at and destroyed.

Sorry, no license plate...

Ya your right I'm sure a dumpster would get shot just like the benches!

Sucks that the trash is already starting to pile up there. I think the main problem is 1/2 the people that go up there assume that the county picks up the trash there. (I've heard this excuse from several different people there)

Maybe a big rules of the range sign would help, but then again it'll probably just get shot like a dumpster! I guess you just cant win with all the morons that frequent that range...


Shoot me a PM on your labor day plans. I'm sure I'll be there!

darkjedi351 09-01-2010 11:21 AM

did they close the original glass factory on west camino cielo? The one by lizards mouth below winchester canyon gun club? I grew up in the area and this was always called east camino cielo range while the glass factory was across the highway on west camino cielo. back in the 70's it really was a glass factory with the ground covered with broken bottles.

Nate 09-01-2010 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkjedi351 (Post 4883544)
did they close the original glass factory on west camino cielo? The one by lizards mouth below winchester canyon gun club? I grew up in the area and this was always called east camino cielo range while the glass factory was across the highway on west camino cielo. back in the 70's it really was a glass factory with the ground covered with broken bottles.

I have only known it as East Camino Cielo, and West Camino Cielo. It wasnt until i joined Calguns did I find out it was called Glass Factory.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.