Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing & How To (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Bay Area AK Build Party JULY 24, 2010 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=308158)

Alexthewelder 06-03-2010 9:11 PM

Bay Area AK Build Party JULY 24, 2010

Hosting my 3rd AK build party!!!

DATE: is JULY 24,2010

WHERE: Antioch, CA

TIME: 8am-5pm

FOOD?: Tri-Tip Sandwiches with sides ,. Sodas and Water

Raffle is on

New attendees are $40
If you attended my last bp the price is what you paid then.... dont remember? pm me
Builders have priority, so at this time I do not have room for lone spectators

Includes Food & Drink

Ill have the usual, coffee and doughnuts in the A.M. and lunch somewhere around 12-1

Let me know what tools you can bring!

Attending:

Alexthewelder- HOST,food, 12t press, drill press, rivet jig, bend jig, blast cab, park equip, 60gal comp.(bobs) ,etc.
24/7Nino - nogo guages
Militia_bob
Sicarius - 12t press, Ak builder bending jig with yugo die
Freddieusa
jojo8080
devildoc127
samsbolt390
zmefly - 12t press,
Norcaldustin
Gowking - 12t press
223devil
Tngay510
prosateur - AK-Builder flat folding jig, a spot welder, and a MAP gas
Duraglock -
G17guy
teg767*
Dovii4ever- 20t press, dremil, misc tools
13204u
M.s.g*

[B][U]Want to attend[u][b]
416stroker
Barabas
Charlie50 - 12t Press, trigger jig, map gas, misc tools
Killmime1234
Lifeofahero
Lokote
m1275
Nappy
Post88
torch
Gammarei

Z ME FLY 06-03-2010 9:29 PM

I should be there! Maybe build but more than likely to hang out and help.

Z ME FLY 06-03-2010 10:11 PM

Andrew can make us some Build Party Tshirts too.....

I got 2 while at the Canyon County one and they look good

veterosa 06-03-2010 10:30 PM

Hey I may swing by fr SCAL on the last week of June for 4th of July weekend in Sac

Beatone 06-03-2010 10:39 PM

I'm going to try and make this. Paging Gio.

50BMGBOB 06-03-2010 10:51 PM

If the MAK90 flats are out by then, I'll be there. I can set you up with my air compressor even if I don't make it.

MrNiceGuy 06-03-2010 10:57 PM

Can't do last weekend of June because of the camp n shoot. But me down whenever else.
Welcome back to the Land of the Free bro.

247Nino 06-04-2010 12:58 AM

Welcome back Alex!
excited to try out this Park Recipe from Pat aka Restoreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by restoreit1

I use metal prep and etch sold in 1 gal amounts at Home depot it is green in color and about 85% phosphoric acid. The manganese can be found in pottery shops and on the net for under $5.00 a pound.

I use 2 OZ acid
1 oz manganese
1 gal water

So if you need more solution just repeat .

I use well water or tap water, heat solution to at least 195 degrees then add 2 steel wool pads (non soap) let cook until pads are dissolved. parts will fizz like hell the longer you cook the blacker parts come out. Then I dunk in water to rinse air dry with compressed air getting all water out of cracks. then spray with wd 40 or any oil preferably wd40 first then dunk in oil . let set for a couple days to set up .

69Mach1 06-04-2010 1:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 247Nino (Post 4396108)
Welcome back Alex!
excited to try out this Park Recipe from Pat aka Restoreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by restoreit1

I use metal prep and etch sold in 1 gal amounts at Home depot it is green in color and about 85% phosphoric acid. The manganese can be found in pottery shops and on the net for under $5.00 a pound.

I use 2 OZ acid
1 oz manganese
1 gal water

So if you need more solution just repeat .

I use well water or tap water, heat solution to at least 195 degrees then add 2 steel wool pads (non soap) let cook until pads are dissolved. parts will fizz like hell the longer you cook the blacker parts come out. Then I dunk in water to rinse air dry with compressed air getting all water out of cracks. then spray with wd 40 or any oil preferably wd40 first then dunk in oil . let set for a couple days to set up .

247Nino, I tried that exact formula. Mixed it per Pat's instructions. It took forever to park. My receiver was in the mix for an hour and it didn't look like it fully coated. Let me know how yours comes out.
--Mach

247Nino 06-04-2010 2:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Mach1 (Post 4396161)
247Nino, I tried that exact formula. Mixed it per Pat's instructions. It took forever to park. My receiver was in the mix for an hour and it didn't look like it fully coated. Let me know how yours comes out.
--Mach

aww now I dont know what to if that doesnt work. Pat parked my kits before he sent them to me... got any pics of how yours came out?

Z ME FLY 06-04-2010 6:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Mach1 (Post 4396161)
--Mach

The park we used @ Greg's was BLACK.. It came out a dark grey at first then it turned into a nice black. I probably left my stuff in there for about 20 mins.

oldyeller 06-04-2010 8:22 AM

I will try to make it- need to kill a boar first.

oldyeller 06-04-2010 8:24 AM

Oh yea, welcome back :)

Charlie50 06-04-2010 8:51 AM

Hey there Alex good to hear from you. Im up for another BP need to get some stuff parked. As usual, can bring press, trigger jig, mapp set up.

samsbolt390 06-04-2010 9:16 AM

I'm in I'm in !!

247Nino 06-04-2010 9:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z ME FLY (Post 4396395)
The park we used @ Greg's was BLACK.. It came out a dark grey at first then it turned into a nice black. I probably left my stuff in there for about 20 mins.

Z, can we get the recipe? Lets get some sample pictures as well, if not we'll be using the same ol recipe at Alex's, which is a nice clean dark grey/olive park(on the right in the photo, left is "BBQ BFPU drop on the floor jump on it look").

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4599/nin7930.jpg

killmime1234 06-04-2010 10:07 AM

Hey, I'm a total newbie to building AKs, but I've been wanting to learn for a while. Just lay down a date and I'll try my darndest to make it.

69Mach1 06-04-2010 10:17 AM

The park solution we used at the Canyon country build party was Duracoats blend bought from Midway. Just added steel wool to darken. That stuff works fast and is not sensitive to temp. It's usually done in 10 min. Temp. range can be from 150-200 degrees with 175 being best.

Here's a pic. Top rifle was parked with Pat's mix. Bottom rifle wth Duracoat blend.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...N/DSC05860.jpg

The problem with parking at a build party is the time. You can't leave parts in for long periods of time. It will slow things down. Also, getting it to, and keeping it at 200 degrees per Pat's instructions will use up precious propane. Good luck with the park, and let me know how it goes.

Dovii4ever 06-04-2010 10:30 AM

ALEX!!!!!! I hope the party is in July I'll be in Texas for the end of June through the 4th of July and nothings better than celebrating the 4th of July in Texas!!!!

247Nino 06-04-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Mach1 (Post 4397219)
The park solution we used at the Canyon country build party was Duracoats blend bought from Midway. Just added steel wool to darken. That stuff works fast and is not sensitive to temp. It's usually done in 10 min. Temp. range can be from 150-200 degrees with 175 being best.

Here's a pic. Top rifle was parked with Pat's mix. Bottom rifle wth Duracoat blend.

The problem with parking at a build party is the time. You can't leave parts in for long periods of time. It will slow things down. Also, getting it to, and keeping it at 200 degrees per Pat's instructions will use up precious propane. Good luck with the park, and let me know how it goes.

thank you for the pic :)

Of those two, which would you say has better coverage and penetration?

Well basically I wanted to see if we can get close to the semi gloss finish that he does, which is this
http://home.comcast.net/~restoreit1/...l/IMG_1366.jpg

The only experience I have is with the existing BP recipe which is nice but when I put my pistols together I might just reblast and park to get a uniform look. The trouble we were having was keeping the temp up since it was dec and jan.

??**JUNE 26, JUNE 27, JULY 10, JULY 11, JULY 17, JULY 18**??

killmime1234 06-04-2010 10:33 AM

Also, any suggestions on what flat I should buy? When I <chop>google fu</kick>, the first thing that comes up is Tapco. Should I dig deeper and look for something else, or is this a sufficient flat? What do you guys recommend?

247Nino 06-04-2010 10:34 AM

Anyone else?

Let's do this!
JUNE 27, JULY 10

69Mach1 06-04-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killmime1234 (Post 4397302)
Also, any suggestions on what flat I should buy? When I <chop>google fu</kick>, the first thing that comes up is Tapco. Should I dig deeper and look for something else, or is this a sufficient flat? What do you guys recommend?

No Tapco. You will thank me.

http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php

Which flat depends on which parts kit you have. Don't forget the Tapco FCG sale. Use coupon code "G2"....$20 FCG.

69Mach1 06-04-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 247Nino (Post 4397300)
thank you for the pic :)

Of those two, which would you say has better coverage and penetration?

Well basically I wanted to see if we can get close to the semi gloss finish that he does, which is this
http://home.comcast.net/~restoreit1/...l/IMG_1366.jpg

The only experience I have is with the existing BP recipe which is nice but when I put my pistols together I might just reblast and park to get a uniform look. The trouble we were having was keeping the temp up since it was dec and jan.

??**JUNE 26, JUNE 27, JULY 10, JULY 11, JULY 17, JULY 18**??

The two mixes are about the same. You can experiment prior to the build party, but again for BP's time and temp are your enemies.

lokote 06-04-2010 12:07 PM

im in for july and maybe in june depending on how long my trip to italy takes

Z ME FLY 06-04-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 247Nino (Post 4397311)
Anyone else?

Let's do this!
JUNE 27, JULY 10

Doesn't matter to me, I should be there. Especially if oldyeller kills a boar then I have to be there.

I got my 12 ton press and various dremels and grinders.

If you guys want BP tshirts, Andrew can make that happen too.

killmime1234 06-04-2010 1:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Mach1 (Post 4397321)
No Tapco. You will thank me.

http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php

Which flat depends on which parts kit you have. Don't forget the Tapco FCG sale. Use coupon code "G2"....$20 FCG.

Well I'm gonna be out of a job in about a month(I work at Hollywood Video) so I was wanting to build pretty much the cheapest version I could. I assume by "which parts kit you have" you mean from which country of origin? Basically I don't have a parts kit yet so that's open for the future. I'm looking to get the receiver built and go from there.

Z ME FLY 06-04-2010 1:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killmime1234 (Post 4398020)
Well I'm gonna be out of a job in about a month(I work at Hollywood Video) so I was wanting to build pretty much the cheapest version I could. I assume by "which parts kit you have" you mean from which country of origin? Basically I don't have a parts kit yet so that's open for the future. I'm looking to get the receiver built and go from there.

Well cheapest version..... What exactly is your budget first? If you let me know your budget, I can tell you if it is possible or not or what kind of cost you are looking at once I know your budget.

killmime1234 06-04-2010 1:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z ME FLY (Post 4398047)
Well cheapest version..... What exactly is your budget first? If you let me know your budget, I can tell you if it is possible or not or what kind of cost you are looking at once I know your budget.

I don't have a specific dollar amount in mind but I guess if I had to put a number to it I'd say like $400. I hear that's a reasonable amount. Cheaper if possible, but I don't want something that jams every 3rd shot either.

Z ME FLY 06-04-2010 1:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killmime1234 (Post 4398065)
I don't have a specific dollar amount in mind but I guess if I had to put a number to it I'd say like $400. I hear that's a reasonable amount. Cheaper if possible, but I don't want something that jams every 3rd shot either.

$400 is a ok amount. What I would suggest for you is that with any kit you find, you will want a matching #'s kit and with the original barrel. For example I have recently seen Romanian AK47 Kits for about $250-$300, matching #'s and original barrel.

You factor the cost of the parts
flat- $20
center support $7
Rivets $10
mag lock $30

After that, you just have to replace 6 of the foreign parts with US made parts. For example this is what I normally do,
Tapco Trigger Group (3 parts) $30
Cheap US made slant brake (1 part) $10-15
Receiver (1 part)
Pistol Grip (1 part) $10.

Parts- $67, US made stuff $50

Add about $120 to whatever parts kit you get then you are there.

killmime1234 06-04-2010 2:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z ME FLY (Post 4398092)
$400 is a ok amount. What I would suggest for you is that with any kit you find, you will want a matching #'s kit and with the original barrel. For example I have recently seen Romanian AK47 Kits for about $250-$300, matching #'s and original barrel.

You factor the cost of the parts
flat- $20
center support $7
Rivets $10
mag lock $30

After that, you just have to replace 6 of the foreign parts with US made parts. For example this is what I normally do,
Tapco Trigger Group (3 parts) $30
Cheap US made slant brake (1 part) $10-15
Receiver (1 part)
Pistol Grip (1 part) $10.

Parts- $67, US made stuff $50

Add about $120 to whatever parts kit you get then you are there.

Ok. That sounds very reasonable. Thanks for all the info. I had picked up tidbits of it from various sources, but you kinda compiled all the info I need. That's exactly the standard of quality and courtesy I'd expect from Calgunners.

So basically I'm looking at building this over the course of a couple months because of shipping times and budgets and what have you. And if I understood you correctly, I should get a Romanian receiver and that would be compatible with whatever Romanian parts kit I get down the road. I'm gonna order one now!

Z ME FLY 06-04-2010 2:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killmime1234 (Post 4398335)
Ok. That sounds very reasonable. Thanks for all the info. I had picked up tidbits of it from various sources, but you kinda compiled all the info I need. That's exactly the standard of quality and courtesy I'd expect from Calgunners.

So basically I'm looking at building this over the course of a couple months because of shipping times and budgets and what have you. And if I understood you correctly, I should get a Romanian receiver and that would be compatible with whatever Romanian parts kit I get down the road. I'm gonna order one now!

The type of flat you need is a fixed stock ak47 flat with holes. You can also get the one with trunnion holes drilled if you wish but those might be off a little bit too.

Either this one with no holes
http://www.solartactical.com/product...&categoryId=26

or this one with

The ones with holes might line up with the trunnion holes but maybe not. You can find most of the stuff you need on solartactical.com

You can always at least buy your flat and attend a bp to bend it and watch others build so you can have an idea of what you are looking at.

247Nino 06-04-2010 2:54 PM

pick a date gents

killmime1234 06-04-2010 2:55 PM

I was looking at this one:
http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php?...oduct_id=29838
Should I go with your suggestion of:
instead?

Z ME FLY 06-04-2010 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killmime1234 (Post 4398672)
I was looking at this one:
http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php?...oduct_id=29838
Should I go with your suggestion of:
instead?

Either one is fine, Solartactical is Duraglock here on Calguns. I just tend to support a calgunner but either one is fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 247Nino (Post 4398668)
pick a date gents

Maybe we need to make a new thread and start a poll?

Alexthewelder 06-04-2010 3:38 PM

Hey guys! Looks like a lot of interest as usual:) thanks for the welcome backs. I really wish I was still gone:(

well I was looking at dates and am leaning towards the middle or end of July. I have plenty of bdays and parties to attend on the weekends b4 then. I figure too this will help people who don't have parts to aquire some.

So.... July- 17/18?
July 24/25?
July 31?

I'll set a poll later once we narrow down sat/sun.

Z ME FLY 06-04-2010 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexthewelder (Post 4398886)
Hey guys! Looks like a lot of interest as usual:) thanks for the welcome backs. I really wish I was still gone:(

well I was looking at dates and am leaning towards the middle or end of July. I have plenty of bdays and parties to attend on the weekends b4 then. I figure too this will help people who don't have parts to aquire some.

So.... July- 17/18?
July 24/25?
July 31?

I'll set a poll later once we narrow down sat/sun.

Would this be a two day BP? Just wondering. I know a lot of times builds won't get finished the first day.

killmime1234 06-04-2010 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z ME FLY (Post 4398840)
Either one is fine, Solartactical is Duraglock here on Calguns. I just tend to support a calgunner but either one is fine.

I've been looking for parts kits and I haven't really seen any romanian ones for all that cheap, or at least not inclusive to my budget.

Bulgarian ones seem to be the cheapest I can find. Are they "too good to be true"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z ME FLY (Post 4398840)
Maybe we need to make a new thread and start a poll?

I agree. Frankly, I can get pretty much any day off that I need given enough notice; but the ability for others to point and click would probably streamline the process.

Z ME FLY 06-04-2010 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killmime1234 (Post 4398905)
I've been looking for parts kits and I haven't really seen any romanian ones for all that cheap, or at least not inclusive to my budget.

Bulgarian ones seem to be the cheapest I can find. Are they "too good to be true"?

I agree. Frankly, I can get pretty much any day off that I need given enough notice; but the ability for others to point and click would probably streamline the process.

I haven't heard of any bulgy 47s but I can be wrong. Do you have a link?

tngay510 06-04-2010 3:51 PM

jared, you should help me demill mines... i have to redo my AK due my error of forgetting to heat treat both sides of the pin holes for the trigger so the trigger action isnt smooth anymore after ~100rds. hopefully this lands in a sat