Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Concealed Carry Discussion (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Stanislaus County CCW (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=298723)

Standard 05-07-2010 9:03 AM

Stanislaus County CCW

Since Sheriff Christanson said he will issue for "self protection" as good cause, I've decided to pursue a CCW here in my county.
I've taken the class and have scheduled the interview which is in two weeks.
They'll run a background check on me at that time, and I'm not sure what the wait time is after that, if I'm approved.
I have no criminal history whatsoever, no speeding tickets, no accidents, etc, so we'll see if Christanson stays true to his word and issues permits.
I'm filling out the app now, and the only worry I have is that I was laid off last year, and haven't found a job yet. I'm in the fledgling stages of starting my own business with a partner, but I'm not sure if being unemployed could be seen as not "good moral character" which the Sheriff still has his discretion on.
The fee at the county is $108, plus training fees (I paid $70) FYI.

Seahawk 05-07-2010 9:22 AM

I took the liberty to discuss with a deputy sheriff friend. In this economy, I doubt it is a consideration. Especially since you can list your start-up after being laid off. At leaste it shows your tenacity to support yourself and your family. Demonstrates responsibility. Good luck.

Billy Jack 05-07-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Standard (Post 4250725)
Since Sheriff Christanson said he will issue for "self protection" as good cause, I've decided to pursue a CCW here in my county.
I've taken the class and have scheduled the interview which is in two weeks.
They'll run a background check on me at that time, and I'm not sure what the wait time is after that, if I'm approved.
I have no criminal history whatsoever, no speeding tickets, no accidents, etc, so we'll see if Christanson stays true to his word and issues permits.
I'm filling out the app now, and the only worry I have is that I was laid off last year, and haven't found a job yet. I'm in the fledgling stages of starting my own business with a partner, but I'm not sure if being unemployed could be seen as not "good moral character" which the Sheriff still has his discretion on.
The fee at the county is $108, plus training fees (I paid $70) FYI.

Grasshopper,

Unless your GC is directly related to your employment it is a no brainer. Not a factor as you still do the other things that employed people do on a regular basis. I have never arrested a BG who gave a pass to a potential victim they realized was unemployed.

Billy Jack
'The force is strong with this one'

www.californiaconcealedcarry.com

testosteroneOD 05-07-2010 5:36 PM

Good luck. I'm moving back Sunday following next and plan to apply for my CCW as soon as I hit the Turlock dmv to get my Nevada license switched to a CA license. I hope it gets approved.

Standard 05-08-2010 8:26 AM

Are you living in Turlock? Those CCW apps go the Chief of Police, then to the Sheriff, and it sounds like the Chief there doesn't like to issue.

JohnBoy 05-08-2010 8:36 AM

Do you need to live in Stanislaus county to get a CCW from the sheriff? I live in the Bay Area and know I have no chance of getting a CCW down here. We do own property there, but have not built yet. Any comments?

Thanks

testosteroneOD 05-08-2010 9:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Standard (Post 4255602)
Are you living in Turlock? Those CCW apps go the Chief of Police, then to the Sheriff, and it sounds like the Chief there doesn't like to issue.

Yes, Turlock. I was under the understanding that the Sheriff had the last call on it. And from the last few articles I read in the Bee, The Sheriff doesn't have to abide by the Chiefs wish. I'm going to try and keep trying anyways. I've had a gun on my hip for the past eight years or so. Its a lifestyle now.

Standard 05-08-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBoy (Post 4255640)
Do you need to live in Stanislaus county to get a CCW from the sheriff? I live in the Bay Area and know I have no chance of getting a CCW down here. We do own property there, but have not built yet. Any comments?

Thanks

Yes, you must live in the county.

Standard 05-08-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by testosteroneOD (Post 4255860)
Yes, Turlock. I was under the understanding that the Sheriff had the last call on it. And from the last few articles I read in the Bee, The Sheriff doesn't have to abide by the Chiefs wish. I'm going to try and keep trying anyways. I've had a gun on my hip for the past eight years or so. Its a lifestyle now.

Yeah, it's definitely worth a shot. I just know from speaking to the Sheriff that he will go by the Chief's wishes most of the time.

Mammoth 05-11-2010 6:59 AM

Looking forward to hearing more about how it goes for you Standard. My course (through Madison Society) is scheduled for Saturday morning and I'll also be applying in Stan. County shortly after.

JohnBoy 05-11-2010 7:52 AM

Thanks for the reply Standard.

Dankle 05-11-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mammoth (Post 4269658)
Looking forward to hearing more about how it goes for you Standard. My course (through Madison Society) is scheduled for Saturday morning and I'll also be applying in Stan. County shortly after.

I am interested to see how it goes for both of you. I'll be going through the process in about 2-3 months. :)

caoboy 05-11-2010 12:57 PM

I have a friend that received his CCW recently, took about 2-3 weeks to get it confirmed.

Where did you take your ccw class at?

Mammoth 05-11-2010 2:35 PM

caoboy - Can you speak to the extent of his good cause statement on the recent approval? No specifics of course, but whether he had a thoroughly vetted good cause, or if he was able to simple use 'personal defense' as the Sheriff represented?

Also, do you know who your friend did his CCW course with?

Standard 05-11-2010 5:35 PM

I did my CCW course through Weapons Training School between Oakdale/Sonora. Great place, only $70, I highly recommend it.

caoboy 05-11-2010 11:52 PM

My buddy did his training at On Target on Bangs Ave. in Modesto, said it was $100 for and 8 hour class.

I can tell you his main cause was "Personal Protection, and protection of my family."

Lets just say he has case numbers to back up his reasoning for the need of a CCW.

I'd like to see more people get CCW's with just a 'personal protection' statement... what with the layoffs, early release...just Sunday night, there was a shooting on Paradise and Carpenter. Guess what? There wasn't even a lick about it in the news the next day. Only reason I knew about it was that there were a lot of sirens, and more and more coming. Popped on the scanner, found out as much as I could through that.

We really need to press the Sheriff into Shall Issue...none of this 'good moral character' bs. Maybe one day we'll have it like other states do...a class, training, background check, and you are good to go.

Mammoth 05-12-2010 10:35 AM

Good moral character is a state level component that isn't up the sheriff, it's essentially the background check. Said background check and character determination could include psych tests etc, but it seems that Stan County isn't pressing much on that one.

The issue we need the sheriff to stand by is that of personal defense as good cause. Existing county policy allows this at the discretion of the sheriff but time will tell how far he will really go. This is why I ask questions about your friend's good cause statement.

You mention case numbers. Did he have specific personal throated against him and his family, or did he refer to crime problems in the county and state in general.

If he applied using specific reported threats against him, then it's no indicator of the sherrif's new direction. They were already issuing and have explicit policy that states they will issue to people who have filed police reports regarding threats to themselves or family.

caoboy 05-12-2010 11:15 AM

They were personal case numbers, not a general crime increase and fearing for safety.

Mammoth 05-17-2010 10:01 AM

Just an update...as of this morning, appointments are about 4 weeks out.

Course done and my appointment is scheduled, one step closer. As busy as they seem to be with ccw applications, we should be getting some info here. Please keep us posted folks!

Standard 05-17-2010 10:12 AM

I'll let you know how my appointment on Friday goes. I'm not sure how long after that it will take to get an answer.
And from speaking with the Sheriff, good moral character IS up to him, as well as anything that comes up in a background check. He can deny for any reason he wants, really.

Mammoth 05-17-2010 12:42 PM

Yeah, I know that characters is assessed by the sheriff. My point was in response to a statement that we need the sheriff to somehow let that component go as well. While the sherrif has discretion while determining whether someone is of good moral character, the need to do so is mandated at the state level as part of qualifying a ccw applicant. It applies in every county and it isn't going away.

Standard 05-17-2010 1:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mammoth (Post 4302147)
Yeah, I know that characters is assessed by the sheriff. My point was in response to a statement that we need the sheriff to somehow let that component go as well. While the sherrif has discretion while determining whether someone is of good moral character, the need to do so is mandated at the state level as part of qualifying a ccw applicant. It applies in every county and it isn't going away.

Oh, I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I'm of good moral character, so I hope it won't even matter :)

Mammoth 05-17-2010 1:41 PM

moral character is subjective enough that I won't guess as to my own through another's eyes, but I do have a spotless record. :)

Standard 05-17-2010 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mammoth (Post 4302484)
moral character is subjective enough that I won't guess as to my own through another's eyes, but I do have a spotless record. :)

Well, yes, that's what I meant.

Standard 05-21-2010 3:57 PM

Turned in everything today, they said I should hear from the investigator probably within a couple of weeks, but that the entire process is 90 days.

Gray Peterson 05-21-2010 4:28 PM

Can you describe the fee payment process for me please?

Standard 05-21-2010 5:43 PM

I paid the fees when I applied. $108 total for Stanislaus county.

caoboy 06-01-2010 8:59 AM

Any updates on this?

Standard 06-01-2010 9:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caoboy (Post 4379084)
Any updates on this?

Nothing yet, I haven't heard from the Sheriff's Dept since I applied. It's still very early in the 90 day process. Maybe McDonald will be decided before I hear, and it will give more weight to my application :)

caoboy 06-04-2010 11:39 PM

That would be nice...

Mammoth 06-21-2010 3:26 PM

Any news Standard?

I had to reschedule my appointment to submit due to a conflict in my schedule. I just got a letter from the Sheriff describing the increased fee and payment structure, effective July 1st. I guess my schedule conflict cost me $100, but at least the extra $100 is not due until you are fully approved.

Standard 06-22-2010 10:56 AM

That's good to know about the extra fees, but no, I haven't heard anything yet...

Standard 06-22-2010 2:30 PM

Just got finished with a phone interview from a Sheriff's deputy...He asked me why I wanted to carry a gun, if I felt that I was in any more danger than any regular citizen, asked the nature of my business (even though my only stated reason was self defense), asked if I've ever been in danger, where I live, if it's a nice neighborhood, etc.
I answered everything truthfully, but the vibe I got is that I've never been in mortal danger, live in a nice area, etc, so I probably won't get it. He didn't say that, but he did say that he doesn't carry a gun off duty and doesn't think it's needed personally, and that the right to keep and bear arms doesn't change the *privilege* of carrying a gun (I asked if he expected the McDonald decision to change anything in the future).
He said I should hear back in probably 2 weeks or so, and that the decision lies with the Sheriff.

p7m8jg 06-22-2010 2:59 PM

He got re-elected to his new term. Why should he honor any campaign promise now?

Standard 06-22-2010 3:14 PM

Well, to be fair, I wasn't talking to the Sheriff, it was an investigator who doesn't make the final decision. We'll see if the Sheriff holds true to his word. I have 0 criminal history, nothing traffic related on my record, etc, so if I'm denied, it's or some reason other than "lack of good moral character".

testosteroneOD 06-22-2010 8:55 PM

WOw....I really hope he sticks to his campaign promise.
I've filled out my paperwork, just waiting on the DOJ to register my guns as they were out of state and not in the system. Then I will go drop it off. I might need to come up with a better 'good cause' then self defense.

I also have a clean record, minus a failure to come to a complete stop ticket about two years ago in Vegas. Tickets before that were back in 03. speeding and too dark tint. also in vegas.

Gray Peterson 06-22-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by testosteroneOD (Post 4499808)
WOw....I really hope he sticks to his campaign promise.
I've filled out my paperwork, just waiting on the DOJ to register my guns as they were out of state and not in the system. Then I will go drop it off. I might need to come up with a better 'good cause' then self defense.

I also have a clean record, minus a failure to come to a complete stop ticket about two years ago in Vegas. Tickets before that were back in 03. speeding and too dark tint. also in vegas.

They can't require registration of your guns, as this is a fee that you must pay beyond the fees allowed under PC12054(d) and it is also preempted by the state legislature by Government Code 53071. Only the state can require registration and licensing of firearms.

Mammoth 06-23-2010 7:44 AM

Thanks for the update standard, it sounds like the Sheriff (and by extension, the Madison Society) just saw an opportunity to drum up votes and money between the two of them. We all had our suspicions.

Pretty disappointed in the silence from M.S. They seemed active and interested on the positive side, signing up members and students...but now that it seems to have been a sham they are quiet. Why aren't they talking to the Bee? Emailing members...putting pressure on the Sheriff. I thought their newsletter might have an update on how things are going...but all I get are sales pitches for raffle tickets.

I'm probably going to cancel my appointment and wait for McD etc to play out. I'd rather risk taking the course again (elsewhere) than to waste money on application fees.

Standard 06-23-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mammoth (Post 4501245)
Thanks for the update standard, it sounds like the Sheriff (and by extension, the Madison Society) just saw an opportunity to drum up votes and money between the two of them. We all had our suspicions.

Pretty disappointed in the silence from M.S. They seemed active and interested on the positive side, signing up members and students...but now that it seems to have been a sham they are quiet. Why aren't they talking to the Bee? Emailing members...putting pressure on the Sheriff. I thought their newsletter might have an update on how things are going...but all I get are sales pitches for raffle tickets.

I'm probably going to cancel my appointment and wait for McD etc to play out. I'd rather risk taking the course again (elsewhere) than to waste money on application fees.

Yeah, not to give up early, but after the speech the Sheriff gave, I got suckered into thinking that I could actually get a permit. I mean, I still hope he gives it to me, but I'm not especially hopeful at this point, I just feel like I probably wasted a couple of hundred bucks.

Standard 07-08-2010 9:13 AM

Got the call today, my CCW was approved.