Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   California handguns (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Walther P99 Kaboom (UPDATE in OP 3/17/10) (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=276986)

lunde 03-06-2010 10:51 PM

The lack of proofmarks suggests that your Walther P99 Military is one of the ones that had slides and barrels made by Smith & Wesson. See: http://lundestudio.com/WaltherP99FAQ/IX/5.html and http://lundestudio.com/WaltherP99FAQ/IX/8.html

I doubt that this was the reason for the kaboom, but it is a point of interest for me.

luckystrike 03-06-2010 11:32 PM

other than brass problem.

asheron2 03-07-2010 9:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunde (Post 3917953)
The lack of proofmarks suggests that your Walther P99 Military is one of the ones that had slides and barrels made by Smith & Wesson. See: http://lundestudio.com/WaltherP99FAQ/IX/5.html and http://lundestudio.com/WaltherP99FAQ/IX/8.html

I doubt that this was the reason for the kaboom, but it is a point of interest for me.

Awesome infor, after looking over my Walther and checking the SN# it is definately one of the few S&W made .40's.

Thanks, they will definately be getting a call now. Hopefully they act as a standup company and replace the gun for me without a hassle.

360PA 03-07-2010 9:12 AM

Yikes, if it is the cause, that's kind of ironic that SW made slides/barrels that didn't stand up to a round that carries their namesake...

X-NewYawker 03-07-2010 9:22 AM

There were a rash of police department GLOCK 21 blowups (google "catastrophic failure" and "Glock 21" and you'll see them) because the glock has an un-supported chamber -- it looks like the unsupported chamber in the Walther and the "weaker" case didn't get along.

f33dback 03-07-2010 9:27 AM

Glad you came out of it OK, now I am a little paranoid about the 500 rounds of 45 ACP blazer I have.

Fishslayer 03-07-2010 9:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glock-matic (Post 3917185)
If you took the grips off of your metal frame pistol you would realize how little protection there really is. The plastic used in polymer frames is really strong and doesn't tend to splinter like wood. 1911's in 45 auto aren't to spectacular, but a 1911 38 super going boom is another story.

My Ruger P90's grip is just a metal skeleton that the grips go over.

.45ACP is an inherently low pressure round. I'm not too concerned. I don't use aluminum ammo & my handloads are so light the Ruger just might survive a double charge.

I really think a pistol should have a hammer...:rolleyes:

AJD 03-07-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glock-matic (Post 3917937)
40's are loaded to around 55kPSI, as is the 9mm, 10mm, 357 sig, 357 mag, and 44 mag. As many 40's that are out there, there are relatively few mishaps. I think you stand a better chance of getting struck by lightning and falling on top of a winning lotto ticket than having a KB with factory ammo or your own quality reloads.

Actually none of the cartridges you listed are loaded to 55kPSI. Most 9mm, .40S&W and .357 mag ammo are loaded below 35k PSI. But you are correct that the .40S&W isn't a drastically higher pressure cartridge than 9mm. I also agree that the number of mishaps is usually pretty rare. Though that's not consolation to the OP. I'm just glad he's o.k.

Even with 9mm being a high pressure round, KBs are almost unheard (yes there have been some) compared to other calibers. I've actually heard of more with .45 ACP which is not a high pressure round. Whether it's the fact that it has increased case capacity and it's much easier to overcharge the case I don't know.


Quote:

There were a rash of police department GLOCK 21 blowups (google "catastrophic failure" and "Glock 21" and you'll see them) because the glock has an un-supported chamber --
Well, that's not entirely true. The most famous G21 KBs, the infamous Portland PD guns, were determined by an independent lab to be caused by faulty factory federal ammunition. Go to the bottom of the page and read the links in the HP White reports. There are 3 PDF documents from the lab conclusively indicating it was caused by faulty ammunition.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/ppb.html

Glock-matic 03-07-2010 2:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJD (Post 3919789)
Actually none of the cartridges you listed are loaded to 55kPSI. Most 9mm, .40S&W and .357 mag ammo are loaded below 35k PSI. But you are correct that the .40S&W isn't a drastically higher pressure cartridge than 9mm. I also agree that the number of mishaps is usually pretty rare. Though that's not consolation to the OP. I'm just glad he's o.k.

Even with 9mm being a high pressure round, KBs are almost unheard (yes there have been some) compared to other calibers. I've actually heard of more with .45 ACP which is not a high pressure round. Whether it's the fact that it has increased case capacity and it's much easier to overcharge the case I don't know.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/ppb.html

Your right, I typoed, meant to say 35kPSi. My point is that the 40 isn't out of line with any other cartridge. The only issue I have come to find is regarding setback from repeated chambering, other than that it is good to go. I have seen a couple of M9s go, but those were due to bbl blockages.

Having worked at a gun store that did rentals, I was amazed to see only one KB, and that was due to cheap reloads. I remember pounding 6 out 50 out of a 44 spec revolver, but I digress. During IPSC competition, I have seen one 40 go and 3 38 Supers. But I digress, no one should be afraid to shoot a 40 as I don't think it is any riskier to sheet than any other caliber.

J-cat 03-07-2010 2:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360PA (Post 3919031)
Yikes, if it is the cause, that's kind of ironic that SW made slides/barrels that didn't stand up to a round that carries their namesake...

Have you seen the pics?

How did the barrel/slide fail?

J-cat 03-07-2010 3:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalNRA (Post 3917252)
reason # 124,438 why I refuse to buy any pistol in .40.

Things that are not biggies in 9mm or 45auto becomes dangerous with the pressure level of the .40sw.

Good luck with the warranty situation.

FYI, the .40 operates at the same pressure as 9mm.

BigDogatPlay 03-07-2010 7:24 PM

I hope that some of the ammo was saved so that CCI can have a look at it. The photo of the case hollers overpressure or a badly made case. Either one of those are going to be their problem, and they might just owe you a new gun.

Rob454 03-07-2010 7:37 PM

Hey
My buddy had a 22 that was the same style and his had a similar frame problem. he sent it in they coudlnt repair it and sent him a new gun same serial #
Rob

asheron2 03-07-2010 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDogatPlay (Post 3921524)
I hope that some of the ammo was saved so that CCI can have a look at it. The photo of the case hollers overpressure or a badly made case. Either one of those are going to be their problem, and they might just owe you a new gun.

Yeah i saved the last 12 rounds for them along with the case and lot #.

asheron2 03-07-2010 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob454 (Post 3921586)
Hey
My buddy had a 22 that was the same style and his had a similar frame problem. he sent it in they coudlnt repair it and sent him a new gun same serial #
Rob

Thats good to hear.

B Strong 03-07-2010 7:50 PM

I'm glad that you're OK, and Kb's can happen to any firearm under the right (wrong) circumstances.

greenpea76 03-07-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSR500 (Post 3915649)
CCI Blazer is Aluminum, right?

CCI Blazer comes in Brass casings also.

I've used both Blazer brass and alum in .40 with my M&P and SIG 229 and still confident using it. Glad you're ok asheron.

RyJones 03-07-2010 10:44 PM

I contacted CCI about my ammo failure using the ask the expert form. The next day, I had an email outlining how we could move forward to resolve the issue.

Granted, my ammo failure lead to exactly no damage to the gun, but CCI was responsive to the contact.

I'd contact them with a link to this thread (which is what I did for my case) and wait a day or two for them to contact you.

Omil 03-07-2010 11:35 PM

Glad to know you're OK.:)

aermotor 03-07-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalNRA (Post 3917252)
reason # 124,438 why I refuse to buy any pistol in .40.

:TFH:

RogueSniper 03-08-2010 12:01 AM

You got lucky there. Glad to see you're okay. It's a testament of polymer guns that they can actually handle that kind of stress.

I had an overcharged .40 round (my fault, my reload) that fired out of a Glock22. While it didn't explode, it felt like a full powered magnum and it only caused the guide rod to dislodge and nothing else. Yeah, it felt just like you described, hitting a baseball too close to your grip on a bat.

Glad to see you came out unscathed but just rattled.

asheron2 03-17-2010 9:24 PM

Update in OP

k1dude 03-18-2010 12:50 AM

Do you know if you have to DROS it again? I think you do. That'll be a few extra bucks.

TheSorb 03-18-2010 6:50 AM

I'm glad this all worked out in the end. Kudos to CCI for doing right by you!:hurray:

hybridatsun350 03-18-2010 8:55 AM

Glad to see you're okay, and that CCI has agreed to replace the gun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSR500 (Post 3915675)
Hmmm... I've never shot any of that stuff. Is it coated with anything like Wolf, that may cause sticking or build up?

Wolf's coating doesn't cause sticking or build-up. It's the inability of the steel case to properly expand and seal off the chamber that causes the build-up of residue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalNRA (Post 3917252)
Things that are not biggies in 9mm or 45auto becomes dangerous with the pressure level of the .40sw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-cat (Post 3920497)
FYI, the .40 operates at the same pressure as 9mm.

That's not the issue as 9mm +P actually has a higher maximum pressure than .40 S&W and doesn't blow guns up like this. The issue is the larger diameter of the round creating the need for a more deeply cut feed ramp, and thus a less supported chamber.

Edit: I didn't realize non-Glocks could kB? :rolleyes:

Blackhawk556 03-18-2010 4:08 PM

that's good that cci didn't try to wash their hands on thisd

epic4444 03-18-2010 6:49 PM

Wow, thats pretty good there replacing it for you, thumbs up to CCI

Gio 03-18-2010 7:37 PM

Good to hear that CCI is going to cover your pistola ;)

-Gio


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.