Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   My Vulcan CA Legal AR-15 build (+ picts)... (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26035)

glock_this 12-27-2005 2:53 PM

My Vulcan CA Legal AR-15 build (+ picts)...

UPDATE: newer parts listed updates and images below

So, got my Vulcan lower today. I will document my entire build in this thread. It will take a few weeks as parts roll in, but all have been ordered. So, check back often and let me know if any questions.

PARTS I USED:
-Vulcan CA Legal lower V-15
-RRA Entry Tactical Upper, T-marked, 16” carbine 1:9 twist chrome lined barrel
-Badger Tactical Latch Gen II
-RRA Tactical CAR Stock
-RRA LPK with RRA National Match 2 stage Trigger, Ergo grip, RRA Winter Trigger Guard
-EOTech 512 sight + Butler Creek flip up lens cover
-GG&G Accucam EOTech quickrelease mount
-GG&G rear flip up BUIS
-GG&G Tactical Bipod
-Bushmaster 10round mag + Magpull
-PMag 10 round polymer mags + Magpulls
-Watson weapons extended rear takedown pin
-YHM Carbine Tactical Handguards (4 rail Picatinny)
-YHM 5C1 Phantom flash suppressor
-YHM-9835H front BUIS/gas block sight
-Aimpont 3x magnifier, Aimpoint TwistMount, Aimpoint spacer
-CQD Rear Sling Mount
-CQD two/single point sling
-CQD Vertical Grip
-Bullet Button mag-lock kit + FreeLock button
-Solarforce CREE R2 (290 Lumens) Strike Flashlight w/ QD Lever Mount
-UAG Tactical front rail sling hook mount
-Rear takedown detent pin/spring mod
-Phase 5 EBRv2 "new version" extended bolt release

--------- 12.28.05 - Part 1 ------------

Vulcan had the lower into my FFL's hands before the 10 day wait. The lower seems pretty nice (for a newbies opinion). Black finish seems okay, but not great (scratched off in some small areas and a little splotchy). The steel Promag magazine (verified by Vulcan) seems pretty sub-par quality (which is why I will swtich with a Bushmaster 10 round CA legal). The lower is MUCH nicer in quality than the magazine though. Mine is stamped Inver G MN V15 5.56mm.

http://socalfj40.com/images/forums/ar/lower.jpg

As for the epoxy and pin issue. Mine seems to have VERY LITTE epoxy! The image below shows the biggest amount, and it looks bigger in the photo than it is. I can look up between the mag and the receiver and see NO other epoxy all the way around the mag - anywhere (I have seen other photos of epoxy all around the mag)! The mag release 'seemed' to have epoxy, but when I pressed real hard with thumb pressure it poped loose and now actuates as expeced and does not bind. Other than this glob, I can see no other epoxy nor can I see the pin (obviously). Also, 1 other post noted their epoxy was soft and rubbery like RTV, well, mine is rock hard like 1 would expect.

http://socalfj40.com/images/forums/ar/epoxy.jpg

--------- 1.3.06 - Part 2 ------------

It seems me getting the main upper, stock, lower parts kit is really dragging from NY, so here is the latest build details.

So, after doing all of the reserach I could on removing the Vulcan mag and replacing with a nice good mag like a BM, I decided it was not that hard and printed out the directions I bastardized togther and went for it.

http://socalfj40.com/images/forums/ar/mag_switch.gif

this animation shows a few of the steps of interest that I always wondered about as I could not find elsewhere. the (1) shows the amount of epoxy that came out of just the mag release area (circled in yellow) and the you can see the total amount from the rest of the removal. The (2) image shows the inside of the receiver and how the pin and epoxy are put in. the (3) shows how I marked the mag, lined it up, and drilled (using a 3/32 bit) down through the hole Vulcan made for the pin and thorugh the side of the mag to let my new pin go through and lock the mag in place. the (4) image shows the final lower with the new BM, 10 rnd legal mag. Nice!

Some thoughts: I found the pin and hole in my receiver to be exactly 3/32 in diameter and just a hair over 3/4 of an inch in length as my pin was driled into the oother side. I have read others drilled using a 1/8 inch bit, but that would widen the hole for no reason - so 3/32 is the size. though I am a novice (though mechanically inclined) and went slow, the entire change took about 1 hour as I taped off, and went slow and easy and used just house hold tools. There was a lot more epoxy in my mag relase area that was actually locking the mag release spring in, so I had to get that out. I used some old junky jewlers drivers to do the fine removal of expoxy. A lot less in the receive rthan I expected. In the end, pretty easy. Hardest part was crushing the mag enough to get it out.

--------- 1.18.06 - Part 3 ------------

okay, time to finish off this post.

I think it turned out awesome for a newbie, first timer, new rifle owner, first build. The RRA upper came pre-built, so I built up the lower, trigger, hand guards, stock, etc.

http://socalfj40.com/images/forums/ar/final.gif

NOTES: I did this using 3 punches 1/16, 5/8, 1/32 (from Home Depot), hammer/meat tenderizer, electrical tape (for protection), hex wrench (grip bolt).

It took me about 2 hours to do it all as I went slow and followed detailed directions for building from AR15.com. The RRA upper merged great with the Vulcan lower. no issues - which some have had in the past. hardest part was getting the hammer pin in (part of the National Match 2 stage trigger kit) since it is under spring tension and when finally in, it bound up the hammer pin (or spring) a bit until I worked it in a little. still not 100% freely moving, but I think/hope it will loosen up. other weird issue was that the RRA lower came with a hex head bolt (not a flat head screw driver) for the grip bolt. that presented a problem having a hex that long. but I improvised. other than that, pretty flawless following those directions and only had 1 detent pin fly off into my hair only to 2 recovered.

Also, I used a product by Watson Weapons they call an 'extended take down pin' - nice $7.00 product that allows for faster pivoting it open to reload since fixed mag. as well, the images will show the nail polish/crayon FIRE SAFE fill-in job I did. turned out pretty well - though I liked nail polish better. The YHM hand-guards seem VERY solid, nice and super affordable. Allow for the adding of other options (light, handle, GPS, bobble head, etc.) and nicer than the stock plastic junk. All the RRA stuff seems super nice quality. DIG the Ergo grip. Much like a Houge, but a nice back-strap-dove tail piece that molds up into the lower. The Phantom YHM-5C1 flash suppressor went on as easy as the GG&G rear BUIS.

8.5 pounds as you see it here (unloaded). Seems a bit heavy compared to the original AR15 design weight as reported by Duncan Long. Granted, I do have a heavier sight w/mount and quick release, and aluminum hand-guards that are heavier than the stock plastic. 33"-36.75" in total length.

--------- 12.10.08 - Part 3 - Updates ------------

About 3 years now and many thousands of rounds later. Here is a newer photo of current configuration. Added an Aimpoint Magnifier, BB, some PMags (but kept my hard to find BM 10/20 mag of course as it is a proven performer).. Still fires as good as day one. LOVE that Aimpoint out at 100 yards and the GG&G Tactical Bipod is pretty awesome as well.

http://socalfj40.com/images/forums/ar/ar08.jpg

--------- 4.8.09 - Part 4 - Updates ------------

New parts list additions and a newer more current photo added. Since '08, I added a CREE R2 (290 Lumens) Solarforce Strike Flashlight w/ QD Lever Mount, CQD Rear Sling 2 point Mount, CQD vertical Grip, UAG Tactical front rail sling hook mount. Removed the A2 front swivel sling mount.

--------- 6.4.09 - Part 4 - Updates ------------

Removed A2 fixed front sight for a YHM-9835H flip up gas block sight (not seen here). added rear takedown detent pin mod kit, Badger tactical latch.

http://socalfj40.com/images/forums/ar/ar2009.jpg

Pablo 12-27-2005 10:27 PM

Yeap, the epoxy on my receiver is also hard as a rock! However, I was surprised when I noticed they didn't use any Acraglas on the magazine catch?
What about your receiver?

Benellishooter 12-28-2005 6:27 AM

That is wierd. They used BLACK RTV on mine. It was rubbery and only on the magazine. They must change the secret formula every day.

Paradiddle 12-28-2005 9:08 AM

So let me ask a stupid question. The only thing preventing you from making the rifle have a removable magazine is some epoxy and the obvious legal issues that would ensue from being caught with one.

schizrade2 12-28-2005 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technical Ted
Also removing the roll pin under the mag catch that holds the mag in place without damaging the receiver or finish. PIA if you ask me.

It is tough. I just shredded the old mag and got to the pin from the rear of the magwell. Popped it out, installed the new mag and repinned. PIA.

glock_this 12-28-2005 1:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizrade2
It is tough. I just shredded the old mag and got to the pin from the rear of the magwell. Popped it out, installed the new mag and repinned. PIA.

did you just wing it.... or did you use directions found here or at AR15.com? The ones I have seen, the only way to get it out is to destroy the crap Promag they spec.

Anyway, what did you use as your new pin? Did you do any drilling to get the old pin out? Who's mag did you use?

Benellishooter 12-28-2005 2:35 PM

You don't have to use a roll pin. Bolting in a 10 round mag will make it comply with SB23. This receiver is no different that any of the "off list" lowers currently being legally imported.

Dont Tread on Me 12-28-2005 3:03 PM

"This receiver is no different that any of the "off list" lowers currently being legally imported."

A bit off thread, but can your really import any lower if you simply bolt a ten round mag in place? Any pointers to documentation on the level of modificaitons needed to bring in an AR-15 from out of state?

If I could have a solution that would allow me with simple tools to convert it back to take detachable mags, I'd be very happy. This would work well when I travel out of state.

Benellishooter 12-28-2005 7:23 PM

Quote:

The Vulcan CA legal lower as submitted to the CA DOJ for review was approved for commercial sale based on that pin. The CA DOJ also required more to be done to fix the mag in place. That is the reason for the epoxy.

My opinion is that the DOJ let this receiver in because it was not on the list of banned receivers, period. The pin and epoxy is a red herring. It has always been about which receivers are LISTED. Our ability to import Stag receivers is PROOF. Heck, the Stag receiver is more "evil" than the Vulcan receiver.

It is all about the list and the number of evil features. My prediction is that the Vulcan will be on the list too when it is revised. It is an AR15 style receiver plain and simple.

(this is my opinion. Ted, I am not trying to be argumentative. You have alot of good posts on this board. I could be wrong. I don't think I am though)

~Scott~ 12-28-2005 7:35 PM

Is that new mag a 10 rounder or 20? If 20, do you have a block in it to reduce the number of rounds it will hold? Can you tell me more about it...:)

~Scott~ 12-28-2005 7:45 PM

Quote:

I already answered this question and posted the appropriate section from CA penal code 12276.1

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...430#post190430

I thought I had seen that somewhere before...:D

Thanks Ted....:)

Paradiddle 12-29-2005 10:29 AM

I read something on another forum that I'm curious about. I know that if a person were to purchase one of these and modify it for a removable magazine they are breaking the law and in possession of an illegal non registered assault rifle per CA law.

If the DOJ adds these to the list and a person has one are they then permitted to register it and legally keep it (and then modify to be the same as any other registered AR)?

Curious minds...

TonyM 12-29-2005 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradiddle
I read something on another forum that I'm curious about. I know that if a person were to purchase one of these and modify it for a removable magazine they are breaking the law and in possession of an illegal non registered assault rifle per CA law.

If the DOJ adds these to the list and a person has one are they then permitted to register it and legally keep it (and then modify to be the same as any other registered AR)?

Curious minds...

Please read the "CALIFORNIA AR/AK "SERIES" ASSAULT WEAPON FAQ" at the top of the pages in the blue bar.

Paradiddle 12-29-2005 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyM
Please read the "CALIFORNIA AR/AK "SERIES" ASSAULT WEAPON FAQ" at the top of the pages in the blue bar.

I did - twice. It still doesn't answer my question.

The Vulcan is legal now. If they add it to the list and you register it are you then free to convert it to a removable magazine since it's already registered as an AW and having a removable mag and a pistol grip is one criteria for an AW.

TonyM 12-29-2005 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradiddle
I did - twice. It still doesn't answer my question.

The Vulcan is legal now. If they add it to the list and you register it are you then free to convert it to a removable magazine since it's already registered as an AW and having a removable mag and a pistol grip is one criteria for an AW.

Go back a third time and read all the way including #11 and #12.

Paradiddle 12-29-2005 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyM
Go back a third time and read all the way including #11 and #12.

Never mind - I had the wrong link and wasn't reading what you were refering to. I found the correct link off tenpercentrifles

Thanks - I'm all educated up now.

Benellishooter 12-29-2005 8:11 PM

In my opinion, the reasoning given in post #11 and #12 is flawed. The Vulcan is an AR series rifle. It will be added to the list. A little cheap glue and an easily removable pin does not change what it is.

We will find out soon.

glock_this 01-03-2006 1:05 PM

Did the mag change out today to a nice Bushmaster mag :) - see original #1 post to read about it and see images.

(I will just keep editing that #1 post until build is done).

glock_this 01-18-2006 9:01 PM

Though I decided it was time for me to get my head out of this forum as I was getting pulled into the dark side - I even sent Techincal Ted a PM to that effect days before he emailed me to tell me he was bailing for similar reasons - I felt I should finish what I started. so, I updated my post to complete by build as I finished it off a few days ago. Hope it is useful in some way. arrivederci.

CTT2 02-18-2006 3:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benellishooter
In my opinion, the reasoning given in post #11 and #12 is flawed. The Vulcan is an AR series rifle. It will be added to the list. A little cheap glue and an easily removable pin does not change what it is.

We will find out soon.

Actually Vulcan recieve express premission from the DOJ to sell this in California. Just like Bushmaster's Carbon 15 which recieved express premission from DOJ.

xenophobe 02-18-2006 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benellishooter
A little cheap glue and an easily removable pin does not change what it is.

It doesn't change what it is, but "a little cheap glue" and a blind pin holding the mag is what it took to receive a "this is okay" letter from DOJ.

All of these interrim "look at my Home Depot fixed mag kit" does NOT have the official "stamp of DOJ approval" letter from DOJ, though most people here don't think it matters.

CTT2 02-18-2006 4:26 PM

Home made fixed lowers.

Actually it doesn't matter. So long as you have an off list lower and make your own fix mag lower its ok. There is not regulation that says that you can't do this. Note: It better be ****n fixed dont **** around.

shopkeep 02-18-2006 6:18 PM

V-15 is going on the list

The Vulcan V-15 is going on the list. There's no difference between the glued version and the stripped version. In fact, an FFL I know has sold well over 100 of the stripped Vulcan V-15s. I also added two stripped carbon fiber V-15s to my collection recently muahhaha :D!

Why did I buy a carbon fiber V-15 when I already have 5 aluminum STAGs? Simple: Bushmaster CARBON-15 9mm carbine build :)!

CTT2 03-05-2006 10:15 PM

The side wall of the magazine is crimped up to a certain point so that no more than 10 rounds can fit. And it is a 20 round mag.

Veritas_223 09-04-2006 10:29 PM

Thanks Glock this, I will forward this to my buddy with a Vulcan and the glued mag.

bu-bye 09-04-2006 10:40 PM

WHAT THE DEUCE?!?!

Where did this come from?

glock_this 12-10-2008 6:44 PM

Bump.. been a while since I visited my original AR build thread. I added a new photo and updated the parts list to more current details.

ohsmily 12-10-2008 6:57 PM

Whoa, you can import an AR type lower and all you have to is pin the mag in place!?! Amazing!! ;) Where can I get one? Are there any dealers that do this?

(when you originally posted this thread, lowers were harder to come by than they are now [but still cheaper in most cases])

Infidel 12-10-2008 7:12 PM

Nice Build

Hopi 12-10-2008 7:14 PM

12-27-2005!! I just had a flashback......good times.

glock_this 12-10-2008 7:16 PM

thanks.. yeah, it has been a while since I built it and I have not kept up on the latest manufacturers of CA legal lowers... but when I built this, there were only a few too select from so I got while the getting was good as even in 2005 people were crying that the sky was falling, so better buy NOW.. so I bought now. errr then, but it was 'now' at the time

glock_this 04-08-2009 2:24 PM

bump.. added even newer parts list and a more current photo. enjoy

Here it is all cased up in a Pelican

http://socalfj40.com/images/forums/pelican.jpg