Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Kaboom @ Angeles 1-10-10 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=258508)

Glidergeek 01-12-2010 2:41 AM

Kaboom @ Angeles 1-10-10

I want to thank all of the well wishers and supporters of my son's recovery for his very unfortunate accident at Angeles gun range last Sunday. We're thankful that no one else got hurt and that I was able to visit him in the hospital today and not spent it making funeral arrangements instead.

Sunday a surgeon spent 2.5 hrs working to do hopefully the best work available to repair the damage. My Son, according to the surgeon had four broken bones and some ligament damage to his left hand, the one he was holding the gun with just in front of the chamber. If you notice the hole on the side of the I believe chamber is a vent, that's where he received a good amount of schrapnel that broke his hand. The bolt lever was being pushed by his right hand/palm forward when the bullet discharged before the lever was locked into place. The result was a severe laceration to his palm but not as devastating as the damage to the left hand.

No hammers, no channel locks, no tools except the hands this young man uses to make a living were used to attempt to close the action of this gun were used.

I met him with his mother and our daughter, his sister in recovery after his surgery he was quite depressed but glad no one else was hurt. His account of the event was the same Sunday night as the sedation wore off as on Monday evening when I visited him. No hammers, no channel locks, no tools no hang fire only hands.

We don't know what exactly caused this unfortunate event to happen. I've been in contact with the mfg. on Monday and he seems quite concerned as I would be if I was producing an item like this. We will try to work together and determine what caused this event.

As far as some of the speculators some of you might want to stay out of the stock market. And I noticed some have a bad case of diarrhea of the mouth and the other end also. If any of those (and you guys no who you are) posters go for your colonoscpy, inform your MD. you've got another set of vocal cords in your rectums so as not to be surprised when he sees them.

I'm a 1100 hour power pilot and a 1100 hour sailplane pilot currant in both (and I own one of each), no way do I want somebody at my memorial saying he died doing what he loved doing. I'm prone to mistakes just like the next guy, I just don't want to leave a black mark for other people to have to clean up. I'm sure for the majority of you guys you would want the same for what you love to do.

The next time I (if I do) post will to be to give answers to why this event happened if there are any.

louscamaro91 01-12-2010 2:54 AM

Glad to hear your son is recovering.
Our prayers are with you, your family and your son for a speedy recovery. I think most people here want the best for your son. I think that the photo op for your son's misfortune was out of line. And shame on the Poster who did that.

ChrisO 01-12-2010 3:22 AM

I hope you're son makes a speedy recovery and my prayers will go out to you're family.

Beetle Bailey 01-12-2010 3:34 AM

Thank you for the update. I wish nothing but a speedy and full recover for your son. Hope he will continue shooting when he is ready. All the best for you and your family.

BB

THT 01-12-2010 3:41 AM

Best wishes to your son's speedy recovery and determination of the root cause of the KB.

Lagduf 01-12-2010 4:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THT (Post 3627391)
Best wishes to your son's speedy recovery and determination of the root cause of the KB.

Ditto.

I hope your son has a swift recovery and that the root cause of this accident can be determined so that no other shooters end up in similar accidents.

AlliedArmory 01-12-2010 5:20 AM

Glad to hear is will be fine. We wish the best and a speedy recovery.

B Strong 01-12-2010 5:32 AM

Best wishes, your son will be in my prayers.

supersonic 01-12-2010 6:11 AM

As one of the posters on the original thread that made ZERO speculation; didn't talk through my rectum (no warning for my proctologist there!); and only encouraged others to 'just wait and see before speaking': I just want to wish you and your son well. I hope his recovery is complete and swift. Losing the use of one's hand(s) is especially tragic for one who uses them to make a living. Let's hope for that full recovery. Please don't hesitate to come back and give us any/all information you can about the unfortunate event. You may actually save someone's life. Including mine, which is pretty important to my 17-yr.-old son! (Yeah, my heart goes out to you on even another level, as I am also the parent of a 'young man'). Regards & Peace,
-Scott

veterosa 01-12-2010 6:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B Strong (Post 3627427)
Best wishes, your son will be in my prayers.

Praying for your sons speedy recovery. I think you might have to consult a lawyer for manufacturing defect as defective product since there is causation factor. "but for" the gun being defective, your son had severe injury to his hands after the gun malfunctions & get monetary damages. All the best.

CSACANNONEER 01-12-2010 6:45 AM

Your son and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

A similar incident happened to a friend of mine this summer. He was shooting a different make of rifle though. Anyways, a through investigation was done regarding that incident by another friend of mine who has many years of law enforcement investigation and competitve shooting behind him. If you would like to contact him, I can put you in touch with him or, you can contact the Fifty Caliber Shooter's Association at FCSA.ORG and the office will dirrect you to the right people.

Mute 01-12-2010 7:36 AM

Sorry to hear. I pray for a full and speedy recovery as well as a lifting of his spirit. The same for you and the rest of your family as well.

jrau13 01-12-2010 8:10 AM

Glad you posted and joined! Good to hear that he will be ok!

Legasat 01-12-2010 8:50 AM

Wishing your son a speedy and complete recovery.

69Mach1 01-12-2010 9:03 AM

Thank you for posting. I'm glad he will be OK.

ivanimal 01-12-2010 9:20 AM

I apologize for the obvious lack of compassion and even worse, common sense that some of our members showed. I deleted many posts earlier yesterday and did not get back to this thread till this morning.

I pray for a full recovery for your son and hope some sense comes of the accident. I am sure I speak for many here that we understand you can do everything right and still have a catastrophic event. I am glad it is not worse. Please feel free to PM me if there is anything we can do for you or your son. Believe it or not most here are decent caring individuals. There are some that dont think before they post. Others just want to be right and loud no matter the cost. I will be deleting accounts if that continues. There is no room here for that.

May God be with your family now and if you are so inclined let us know how your son is doing.

Ivan Peņa

Black Majik 01-12-2010 9:33 AM

I wish your son the best, here is to a speedy and full recovery. :thumbsup:

BamBam-31 01-12-2010 9:34 AM

Sir, I hope for nothing but a full and speedy recovery for your son. I went through something similar, including the internet bashing, and it almost made me walk away from the sport.

If anything written here on these boards have offended, please do not take it as a reflection of our membership as a whole. As I learned, there are far more good and supportive people than otherwise--the latter just seem more vociferous at times, especially when there's condemnation to be laid.

Again, prayers for your son and your family.

marxdspot 01-12-2010 9:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivanimal (Post 3627904)
I apologize for the obvious lack of compassion and even worse, common sense that some of our members showed. I deleted many posts earlier yesterday and did not get back to this thread till this morning.

I pray for a full recovery for your son and hope some sense comes of the accident. I am sure I speak for many here that we understand you can do everything right and still have a catastrophic event. I am glad it is not worse. Please feel free to PM me if there is anything we can do for you or your son. Believe it or not most here are decent caring individuals. There are some that dont think before they post. Others just want to be right and loud no matter the cost. I will be deleting accounts if that continues. There is no room here for that.

May God be with your family now and if you are so inclined let us know how your son is doing.

Ivan Peņa

+1. Sad to see members with no class and base their comments on speculation.

Glad to hear you son will recover and I offer my prayers to y'all. Best Wishes!

Rover 01-12-2010 9:58 AM

Here's to your son's speedy recovery. Turns out his buddy who was shooting from the bench next to him is an offroader who I've met a couple times, small world.

Please post up if/when you sort out what happened. Some of us care a lot more about what actually happened than what the internet thinks may have possibly mite have occoured in theory based on a photo involving a hammer.

GP3 01-12-2010 10:03 AM

Best of luck to your Son, Glidergeek.

This sort of speculation and name calling is natural to an internet forum. Do not be discouraged by it. Calguns.net is a great forum.

Starscream 01-12-2010 10:04 AM

Best wishes to your son.

sytfu_RR 01-12-2010 10:04 AM

welcome to CG, hope your son has a speedy recovery, most unfortunate situation.

faust858 01-12-2010 11:46 AM

Wishing your son a speedy recovery, hoping that this incident helps the manufacturer make a safer product for all current and future owners.

aplinker 01-12-2010 11:56 AM

I wish him well in his recovery.

It's easy to lose sight of what matters.

johnrunner89 01-12-2010 12:18 PM

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate accident...hope he has a well and quick recovery!

Bug Splat 01-12-2010 1:31 PM

Thank you for posting and clearing the air of the filth that was floating around. The worst thing to do at a time like this is start pointing fingers. That helps no one and hurts everyone.

My prayers will be with your son and your family. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

devildog101 01-12-2010 1:36 PM

I hope he has a full & speedy recovery.

rkt88edmo 01-12-2010 2:06 PM

Frankly, he did not post any pics of the injured shooter so I think the photo poster was being quite discreet. The rest is very instructive for the rest of us.

Best wishes to the shooter on his recovery and thanks for coming around to update us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by louscamaro91 (Post 3627366)
Glad to hear your son is recovering.
Our prayers are with you, your family and your son for a speedy recovery. I think most people here want the best for your son. I think that the photo op for your son's misfortune was out of line. And shame on the Poster who did that.

Sky_DiveR 01-12-2010 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bug Splat (Post 3628976)
Thank you for posting and clearing the air.... .....The worst thing to do at a time like this is start pointing fingers. That helps no one and hurts everyone.

+1000 to the above.

My best wishes and prayers to you, Glidergeek and your family. May your son fully recover... quickly and get back on the firing line. He's missed already.

turbochris 01-12-2010 2:21 PM

best wishes to your son and we pray for a speedy recovery

Barbarossa 01-12-2010 2:24 PM

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

tacticalcity 01-12-2010 2:28 PM

Best wishes for your son's speedy recovery.

50BMGBOB 01-12-2010 2:32 PM

Best wishes for your son and your families, You will be in my prayers.

armygunsmith 01-12-2010 2:54 PM

Thanks for the update. I hope your son has a full recovery.

Gio 01-12-2010 2:54 PM

Even though I went off someone's speculation I will still post here and wish your son a speedy recovery and hope you and your family are doing well in the midst of this tragic event. Take care,

-Gio

g17owner 01-12-2010 3:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkt88edmo (Post 3629132)
Frankly, he did not post any pics of the injured shooter so I think the photo poster was being quite discreet. The rest is very instructive for the rest of us.

Best wishes to the shooter on his recovery and thanks for coming around to update us.

I agree, actual pictures of the injury would have been poor form. however i dont see anything wrong with those pics. I know i look for every opportunity to educate myself and those pics did that for me. Whatever the cause its just a reminder that these horrible accidents can and do happen. Best wishes to you son sir.

Joe 01-12-2010 3:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THT (Post 3627391)

x2

Keep us informed

mushrew 01-12-2010 3:26 PM

putting aside my bohica until i find out more...sad that this had to happen :(

Joe 01-12-2010 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jicko (Post 3629302)
Lesson learnt.... (to myself).... try not to fiddle with firearms that do not have a long track record...

Maybe I missed it in the original post, but what kind of firearm was it?