Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   CGSSA Range Cleanups (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Pine Flat Rd. Healdsburg (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=199757)

josh_crosson 07-02-2009 7:47 PM

Pine Flat Rd. Healdsburg

Ive gone up to pine flat road many times to check out the snow, and i have been recently been going there to shoot where there is a makeshift "range".
Im pretty sure its all just blm land where this range is and is safe to shoot ie no roads/houses or anything but a mountain across the valley maybe 400 yards?

The thing about this place is no one cleans the place up. 1000's of shells from .22-.45, shotgun shells, to .223 and everything in between. All sorts of junk people take to shoot the living S#IT out of and trash in general. I would love to be able to go there and really clean the place up. Im in santa rosa and wondering if anyone else knows/goes to this place and feels the same way?

Im thinking that maybe a few SUVs full of people and a truck, shovels, bags, maybe some beer (or ice water depending if anyone wants to shoot that day), and it could be a decent place to go.

thoughts?

heres a pic i took with my phone
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/pineflat.jpg

1mean76 07-03-2009 3:47 PM

beer????????? you bring the beer ill bring my tractor lol

The Wingnut 07-03-2009 5:14 PM

Sounds like a great idea. Set up a north bay range day and make sure people bring tools to clean the works up a bit. Rakes, buckets, shovels, maybe some materials for target stands.

My Datsun Z likely won't make it up there.

audiophil2 07-03-2009 6:35 PM

I'm in Santa Rosa and would help.

josh_crosson 07-03-2009 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wingnut (Post 2722935)

My Datsun Z likely won't make it up there.

my girlfriends honda civic made it just fine lol.
its mostly paved road untill you go off for only about 60 yards

ive been talking to a few people i know that might be down to help. ill try to set something up in stone, ill keep everyone posted and see what kind of materials i can bribe out of some people for things like target stands and benches.

also 1mean76, a tractor doesnt sound like a bad idea haha maybe do a little grading and leveling. take down some shrubbery(sp?) for better parking.

tankerman 07-04-2009 8:23 AM

Didn't know there was a place to shoot around there.

When are you planing to put this clean up together?

Mikeb 07-04-2009 8:27 AM

I'll come up from Oakland with a PU truck if I can shoot my swivel gun.
take care
Mike

BigDogatPlay 07-04-2009 8:51 AM

Definitely keep me posted on this. I can contribute my sweat and small pickup for hauling. It would be very nice to have someplace informal to shoot that's a lot closer than Cow Mountain. I wasn't aware of this spot at all so well done on a good find!!

Found some info on the area in general at http://sonoma.net/blog/pine-flat-roa...ldsburg-54.htm. There is a link in that page to information about an Audubon Society bird sanctuary thats up there.

josh_crosson 07-04-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDogatPlay (Post 2724724)
Definitely keep me posted on this. I can contribute my sweat and small pickup for hauling. It would be very nice to have someplace informal to shoot that's a lot closer than Cow Mountain. I wasn't aware of this spot at all so well done on a good find!!

Found some info on the area in general at http://sonoma.net/blog/pine-flat-roa...ldsburg-54.htm. There is a link in that page to information about an Audubon Society bird sanctuary thats up there.

yeah the bird sanctuary is about half way to the place, so you drive into it and then right out of it. its basically just a sign that says bird sanctuary dont hunt the birds lol.

zinfull 07-04-2009 11:01 AM

I have never been there but I will help if I can. It is just up the road from me and I have some friends that shot there. I do work for beer. You may want to post this on northbayshooters.com and get some more locals.

jerry

josh_crosson 07-04-2009 11:38 AM

also i think that up keep is going to have to have a major part in it.

everyone like coors light? im thinking a keg if theres gonna be that many people, plus its cheap ha.

Grumpyoldretiredcop 07-04-2009 1:32 PM

I'm local, have a truck and will help if available on the day you pick. Let me know when.

audiophil2 07-04-2009 6:22 PM

After hearing Don Kilmer talk at Circle S today I headed up the road. I drove all the way to the end. All I found was a really bad shooting gallery loaded with glass and bottles hanging from tree limbs along with a tv, rim, and a few other big items. That spot shoulg be cleaned up too but it might be too unsafe to try cleaning.

bohoki 07-14-2009 6:21 PM

gimme gps co'ords and i'll check it out

SickofSoCal 07-14-2009 6:29 PM

I thought of Pine Flat Reservoir northeast of Fresno when I saw this thread.

gadjeep 07-19-2009 9:07 AM

Sounds good to me. I have a truck as well and will be happy to help.

odysseus 07-19-2009 9:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh_crosson (Post 2719471)
Im pretty sure its all just blm land where this range is and is safe to shoot ie no roads/houses or anything but a mountain across the valley maybe 400 yards?

I am not too far and might be up for that, one question though is being sure about what this land is? Is it for sure BLM?

NotEnoughGuns 07-26-2009 9:14 AM

Im not to far away and would love to have a closer piece of BLM land to shoot on. I'd love to help, lets make a date and confirm that its BLM land and do it!

BTW I think I may have to bring my own beer though. Cant stand coors.

LkPillsburyDude 07-26-2009 1:41 PM

Never heard of this place, but im down to clean and shoot stuff.

paco ramirez 08-04-2009 7:18 PM

Anyone have GPS coordinates for this place?

josh_crosson 08-04-2009 10:59 PM

AH HA! google maps ie google earth!

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&sourc...h&z=17&iwloc=A

its the area to the right of the marker. address comes up as 7014 pine flat road healdsburg, ca 95448

its the turnout from the main road but the road map doesnt line up with the google earth pic.
does this make sence?

paco ramirez 08-08-2009 4:59 PM

That map was very helpful. I went up there today and it was tons of fun. I only brought a .22 magnum for this first outing. There's a lot of trash up there, mostly consisting of empty cartridge boxes and shot shells. Next time I head up I bringing trash bags and a rake to get all the shells. There were also some paint cans, various scrapped electronic devices turned into targets, a pile of clothes, a bit of broken glass from beer bottles, and a VERY large yellow sign for no real reason. I managed to find 12rds of 7.62x39mm someone left up there which looked brand new. There was only one snake that I saw, and it was in the drying up pond next to the range. Some kind of blue water snake with two yellow lines stretching the length of it's back. I'm not a fan of snakes...RIP.

josh_crosson 08-08-2009 7:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paco ramirez (Post 2892219)
That map was very helpful. I went up there today and it was tons of fun. I only brought a .22 magnum for this first outing. There's a lot of trash up there, mostly consisting of empty cartridge boxes and shot shells. Next time I head up I bringing trash bags and a rake to get all the shells. There were also some paint cans, various scrapped electronic devices turned into targets, a pile of clothes, a bit of broken glass from beer bottles, and a VERY large yellow sign for no real reason. I managed to find 12rds of 7.62x39mm someone left up there which looked brand new. There was only one snake that I saw, and it was in the drying up pond next to the range. Some kind of blue water snake with two yellow lines stretching the length of it's back. I'm not a fan of snakes...RIP.

so would you be able to verriify that it is BLM?

BigDogatPlay 08-08-2009 10:41 PM

I think I may make a run up there this next weekend. I'll pack out whatever crap I can fit, we're cleaning out my late father in law's place so we're making dump runs anyway.

I am doing some searching on the SoCo Assessor's web site. The street address as assigned by Google Map is a bust. Using the tract as a search term returns a lot of records. I have a hunch a trip to the assessor's office and a thumb through of the plot maps is going to be in order.

paco ramirez 08-09-2009 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh_crosson (Post 2892704)
so would you be able to verriify that it is BLM?

Undetermined. It sure looks like BLM though :eek:

The bird sanctuary signs stopped appearing, and so did the private property signs.

Cali-V 08-09-2009 9:09 PM

I believe these are the coordinates:
38.753696, -122.768644

josh_crosson 08-10-2009 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paco ramirez (Post 2897100)
Undetermined. It sure looks like BLM though :eek:

The bird sanctuary signs stopped appearing, and so did the private property signs.

thats what my thoughts are.
take any pics while you were up there?

so im thinking now that people will be able to check it out first hand, it will let them know exactly what we're working with. then we could plan a good clean up day.

paco ramirez 08-26-2009 6:02 PM

No, I don't have any pictures. I'll take some next time.

BigDogatPlay 08-27-2009 9:25 AM

I've got vacation coming up in a couple of weeks. When that happens I'll see about doing the research at the assessor's office. From what I've been able to glean in on line searching, BLM does not own anything close to that area.

tommyid1 09-01-2009 8:26 AM

When is this cleanup happenin. I'm off thurs fri sat...

josh_crosson 09-01-2009 4:10 PM

as it sits now, im unable to do anything right now. i was involved in a bicycle/car accident (i was on the bike) and suffered a broken wrist and im in a fixator right now. it sucks. but hopefully ill recover quick and have a nice hefty settlement too. "im gonna be oprah rich!" lol

new cal shooter 09-03-2009 7:49 AM

Good luck! Thanks for the info, I'll head up soon with camera and trash bags

BHP FAN 09-03-2009 9:47 PM

I was born in Healdsburg [class of '76!] and used to shoot up there every weekend.It's a 300 mile trip now,though...

beenawhile 09-04-2009 1:48 PM

I'm going to have to check that out and do a little clean up also.

new cal shooter 09-05-2009 11:07 AM

Range Report:

Really small place, only one party at a time may shoot, not super dirty, but a single lane road in, and LOTS of bike riders on it, so go Slow or you'll get some crap on your truck grill! :)

beenawhile 09-05-2009 1:29 PM

I'm going to have to go up in the next couple of weeks. Did you get a chance to do any shooting?

new cal shooter 09-05-2009 6:17 PM

no, place was full 1 mini-suv 3 guys

timdps 09-05-2009 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new cal shooter (Post 3021949)
Range Report:

only one party at a time may shoot,

Is there a sign or something?

Tim

Grumpyoldretiredcop 09-05-2009 7:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timdps (Post 3023404)
Is there a sign or something?

Tim

No, it''s just a small area. There is a "target area" off to the left, but I wouldn't use it as you're firing in the direction of Pine Flat Rd. There's only one safe firing direction IMHO.

Intimid8tor 09-05-2009 8:16 PM

Good to hear there is a place in northbay since I am there a fair amount. I'll have to make it up there. If I do, I would be happy to bring some junk home.